What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

‘Vice’ movie (re: Cheney) w/ C. Bale (1 Viewer)

higgins

Footballguy
Amazing movie!!!! Is not a partisan hack & is not the goofy movie you’d assume from the commercial (w/ GWB). It’s from the writer/director of ‘The Big Short’ and it will get a best picture nomination & Christian Bale will get nominated as best actor. :thumbup:  

Amazing movie!!!! Is not a partisan hack & is not the goofy movie you’d assume from the commercial (w/ GWB). It’s from the writer/director of ‘The Big Short’ and it will get a best picture nomination & Christian Bale will get nominated as best actor. :thumbup:  
I'm not buying it.

I'm looking forward to seeing this as well. Bale is a hellava actor, and this will be an interesting role.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't a politically slanted movie. Bale may win an Oscar, the picture can win all kinds of awards, but that would sort of be a vindication of the liberal slant.

I do hope it's a good movie though, it's Hollywood though.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't a politically slanted movie. Bale may win an Oscar, the picture can win all kinds of awards, but that would sort of be a vindication of the liberal slant.

I do hope it's a good movie though, it's Hollywood though.
There are obviously points that take jabs (I.e. making GWB make look bad -or- Iraq intelligence “making”); but, all in all very balanced. Just for example, re: WoT, after 9/11 they had Cheney in a situation room with various voices coming from the screen he was watching talking about the variety of, at that point unsubstantiated, litany of reports of potential ongoing terror acts currently being looked into, starting with anthrax ... and ending 30-seconds later all the while with Cheney staring calmly at the screen — I’m wondering the whole time how can so much be put on one man’s shoulder? How would it feel to be responsible for all your fellow citizens during this time? How could he be that calm when I’d be crying for mama?

An overriding theme throughout (whether you lean L or R) is the personality traits of someone looking to acquire or keep ahold of power.

Simply a fascinating movie about a fascinating personality imho. 

My wife and I made plans to see this tonight, but she's checking around and seeing some brutal reviews.  Is this a waste of time?  The Slate review destroys it ("atrocious"); 64% on RT.

A'int nobody got time to waste a Friday night at a bad movie!!

(I thought the Big Short was great)

I thought it was a good-to-semi great movie.... :shrug:

If you do see it, report back for others....

Last edited by a moderator:
There are obviously points that take jabs (I.e. making GWB make look bad -or- Iraq intelligence “making”); but, all in all very balanced. Just for example, re: WoT, after 9/11 they had Cheney in a situation room with various voices coming from the screen he was watching talking about the variety of, at that point unsubstantiated, litany of reports of potential ongoing terror acts currently being looked into, starting with anthrax ... and ending 30-seconds later all the while with Cheney staring calmly at the screen — I’m wondering the whole time how can so much be put on one man’s shoulder? How would it feel to be responsible for all your fellow citizens during this time? How could he be that calm when I’d be crying for mama?

An overriding theme throughout (whether you lean L or R) is the personality traits of someone looking to acquire or keep ahold of power.

Simply a fascinating movie about a fascinating personality imho. 
Thanks for the review. It's interesting to hear it's balanced. 

I thought it was a good-to-semi great movie.... :shrug:

If you do see it, report back for others....
Just saw it tonight.  Good-to-semi-great sums it up for me.  The acting was excellent if you appreciate mimicry (I don't mean that as an insult) - Bale, Carrell, and Rockwell sounded like, and imitated the mannerisms of, their characters perfectly.  Amy Adams was terrific as well.

I thought it had a good pace and mix of comedy/drama.  Felt like I learned a lot about Cheney, which is kind of the point of the movie - he was probably the most powerful man in the world for a time, and we don't know a ton about him.  

didn't think it was "balanced" in that I came out of it with a worse opinion of him than I had before (as did both other people I was with), and my opinion wasn't high to begin with.   Then again, since most of what I disliked about him in the movie was provably factual, maybe that's "balanced."  Even the one bit of humanity they showed him to have was repudiated in the end (not giving more info for spoiler purposes).

Came out of the movie depressed about the world.  It's a good movie and historically interesting, but not a must-see for me.

Is it a “need to see in theater” movie, or can we wait a month or two until it’s on cable?
Could definitely wait on it.

Thought it was decent. Not as entertaining or attention holding for me as The Big Short. Seemed pretty fair to Cheney.

Made Rumsfeld look like an idiot and Cheney's chief legal council who I had never heard of came across particularly skin crawling.

I thought it was near-great to great. Much more about to the will to power than any ideology - though enthusiastic Iraq War backers aren’t going to appreciate it. Bale is a great actor. He never makes his performance a “hey, look at me being a great actor” kind of thing, but completely disappears into his character. 

Finally watched this tonight. Good movie overall, but completely slanted. Acting was pretty good. Bale did a fantastic job.

I heard it was slanted but didn't realize how much.

Finally watched this tonight. Good movie overall, but completely slanted. Acting was pretty good. Bale did a fantastic job.

I heard it was slanted but didn't realize how much.
It's not even close to anything but completely slanted. As someone who worked in D.C. at the time and was heavily involved with a think tank to which Cheney was trustee of, I walked out on the movie. Just flat wrong, some of it. Total bias.

I'm a right winger, but if you don't think it's biased, you have blinders on. Crazy. I stopped watching forty minutes in because I personally knew facts that were erroneous and stupid. President Bush's portrayal by Rockwell and in relation to Cheney is just bollocks, through and through.

I dig Adam McKay, but that was a hack and hatchet job. Bollocks, most of it. 

I think all you need to do to get a gauge of not only how divided our current culture is but to get a gauge on how rippingly inherent media bias is in the world (and why the world, or half of it, was ready for a President to declare it all fake) need only watch this movie. If you don't find it slanted, you're a true blue nightly news guy who does no outside reading nor reading between the lines.

If you can't stand this hackery, chances are you're watching Fox News.

Both sides (the nightlies, MSNBC and CNN) and Fox are full of the most putrid #### ever and were simply waiting for someone to call it for the fraud it is. Unfortunately it may have taken a fraud to call a fraudulent fraud a fraud in the first place, and now it's replaced with another love of fraudulent frauderism, ever spinning, rotating inward. 

I think all you need to do to get a gauge of not only how divided our current culture is but to get a gauge on how rippingly inherent media bias is in the world (and why the world, or half of it, was ready for a President to declare it all fake) need only watch this movie. If you don't find it slanted, you're a true blue nightly news guy who does no outside reading nor reading between the lines.

If you can't stand this hackery, chances are you're watching Fox News.

Both sides (the nightlies, MSNBC and CNN) and Fox are full of the most putrid #### ever and were simply waiting for someone to call it for the fraud it is. Unfortunately it may have taken a fraud to call a fraudulent fraud a fraud in the first place, and now it's replaced with another love of fraudulent frauderism, ever spinning, rotating inward. 
sounds fraudy.

It's not even close to anything but completely slanted. As someone who worked in D.C. at the time and was heavily involved with a think tank to which Cheney was trustee of, I walked out on the movie. Just flat wrong, some of it. Total bias.

I'm a right winger, but if you don't think it's biased, you have blinders on. Crazy. I stopped watching forty minutes in because I personally knew facts that were erroneous and stupid. President Bush's portrayal by Rockwell and in relation to Cheney is just bollocks, through and through.

I dig Adam McKay, but that was a hack and hatchet job. Bollocks, most of it. 
I really enjoyed the movie but it was clearly painting a narrative.   Having some insight as you say you do can you provide some examples of what was “just flat wrong”.  Thanks.  

I really enjoyed the movie but it was clearly painting a narrative.   Having some insight as you say you do can you provide some examples of what was “just flat wrong”.  Thanks.  
Lynne and Mary struck me as so tone-deaf and off. Lynne had penned a novel in college with a lesbian protagonist with lesbian love interests. She was surely more comfortable with her daughter's homosexuality than portrayed in the movie. I know for a fact the Cheneys went to great lengths to accommodate their daughter and her preference; i do not like the way her mother was portrayed in regard to that.

The Cheney/Bush dynamic was also way, way off. Painting that relationship as a complete drunkard idiot just trying to impress his father, and Cheney as someone who thought very little of Bush, was inaccurate. Cheney knew his role, wanted to be his VP, did not view him as a clown nor a dupe. That seems (and McKay defended himself by saying behind closed doors stuff was an "imagining") like it just reeks of being factually wrong also.

Users who are viewing this thread