What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (1 Viewer)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Any thoughts on this guy? His draft stock seems to be rising very quickly, although he hasn't declared yet.

This article has very little substance, but the clips they give have me raising my eye brows. He looks pretty sharp.

He seem to be the jack of all trades, which is harder to find these days at RB. We've seen role players/backups in college become more successful NFL players than the players they were behind. I don't see why this couldn't be similar. Assuming he declares, I think his name will climb up some draft boards as we get closer to the combine and especially after it.

Any thoughts on him? I'm fairly uneducated in this guy, but highlights and measurables look pretty solid. I'm surprised to see his name at the top of draft lists for some people who know their stuff, so anyone have anything on him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just mentioned him in the other thread as one of my two favorites in this class before seeing this topic. 

I've been more impressed with Jacobs than with Damien Harris. Jacobs seems a step quicker and has been a real mismatch in the passing game when Bama gets him matched up on linebackers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacobs shines in the playoffs and emerges as a 1st/2nd round prospect in a similar way to what Sony Michel did last year. 

No sure thing he leaves early though. Bama seems to have a few guys every year who pass up the early rounds of the draft to come back for another year. 

Was hoping this wouldn’t show up until after my devy draft, but he’s one of my favorite RBs in the entire class. I’ve seen some very impressive cuts in games, and he’s been turned to at times by Bama when Harris couldn’t get going. 

Watch the SEC championship game and he pops off the screen several times. Expect he climbs during the draft season. I like a lot of what I’ve seen.

Dan Hindery said:
Just mentioned him in the other thread as one of my two favorites in this class before seeing this topic. 

I've been more impressed with Jacobs than with Damien Harris. Jacobs seems a step quicker and has been a real mismatch in the passing game when Bama gets him matched up on linebackers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacobs shines in the playoffs and emerges as a 1st/2nd round prospect in a similar way to what Sony Michel did last year. 

No sure thing he leaves early though. Bama seems to have a few guys every year who pass up the early rounds of the draft to come back for another year. 
A few hundred K in the Christmas stocking helps with that.

Versus a million+ contract? 

I dont doubt they pay their athletes but the earning potential in the NFL is unlimited
Right but that’s already factored into the decision. If a guy is on the fence about coming back to improve his draft stock or just to continue living like a king with his buddies for another year without the pressure of professional football then a little something something from Saban Claus could be the difference. Anyways my comment was largely tongue in cheek as I’m aware that ‘Bama isn’t the only program that pays guys they’re just the figurehead due to their success on the field and in the recruiting rankings. I appreciate you bringing this guy up. I’m always interested in a dude with his skillset.

I must admit he was not on my radar until I read an article by Dane Brugler on The Athletic and he listed Jacobs as his top RB. Was eye opening to say the least and Brugler is good, as an example he was way ahead of the DJ Moore curve last year. 

As for coming out I do realize the Damian Harris and OJ Howard unexpectedly returned but Jacobs would be a fool to not come out and for that matter  maybe Damian Harris was on to something staying another year. Last year's RB class was pretty solid and deep, next years class looks amazing. If you are a RB this is the year you want to come out.

He'll declare.  They just told his personal story in the playoff coverage, brutal stuff.  He's got a kid, 3 siblings that have spent time homeless, he's determined to make his way to provide for them.  Good on him, wish him all the best.  Go to Oakland por favor.

He'll declare.  They just told his personal story in the playoff coverage, brutal stuff.  He's got a kid, 3 siblings that have spent time homeless, he's determined to make his way to provide for them.  Good on him, wish him all the best.  Go to Oakland por favor.
I believe he sent out a tweet earlier this week saying "Just want my family to have a better life than I did"

and then he mentioned after that tweet that he can always go back and get his degree later. 

I think hes going to come out and, depending what team takes him, he could contend for pick 1.1

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranked Alabama junior RB Joshua Jacobs as the seventh-best NFL prospect playing in Monday's National Championship Game.

Five of the first six players on Brugler's list are defensive prospects, with Alabama T Jonah Williams (No. 3) the lone outlier. Then we hit our first skill-position player in Jacobs. Writes the analyst, "From his run power to his athletic cuts, Jacobs is just scratching the surface of his ability – both as a rusher and receiver." Zooming further out to his pure positional draft rankings, Brugler views the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder as the top overall running back prospect for the spring. For the 2018 season to date, Jacobs has rushed for 593 yards (5.4 YPC) and 11 touchdowns. While those numbers may seem surface-level modest, it's important to remember that Alabama has very much taken a committee approach with its backs.

Source: The Athletic 

Alabama junior RB Josh Jacobs (undisclosed) said Saturday that he expects to play in Monday's title game vs. Clemson.

Jacobs (5'10/216) did not practice Thursday for an unspecified reason, hence there being some questions regarding his availability for Monday's game. The junior running back, who is averaging just over five yards per carry this season, refused to comment when asked about the reason(s) for his absence from the practice.

Source: Charlie Potter on Twitter 

Jan 5 - 12:33 PM

Scout’s Eye: 2019 CFB National Championship Game

Excerpt:

RB Josh Jacobs, JR (5-9, 216, 4.49, #8, Day 2): A do-it-all back who can burn opponents with the run or the catch, Jacobs possesses the strength to barrel over defenders, quickness and elusiveness to run around them and the burst to bust big time runs. He was absent during Alabama practice on Friday due to an “excused absence,” so that is one situation worth monitoring as we draw closer to game time. If he decides to declare for the draft, it wouldn’t be surprising if he were the first back chosen.

Joshua Jacobs - RB -  Crimson Tide

The Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs writes that Alabama junior RB Josh Jacobs has the "kind of size/speed/agility" to be a featured back in the NFL.

Crabbs believes the title game is a perfect opportunity for Jacobs (5'10/216) to become the RB1 in the 2019 NFL Draft since it's a tough test against Clemson's elite front seven. Jacobs lack of a full workload may be his biggest knock against him. Heading into the Championship Game, Jacobs has 240 career carries and 47 career receptions. That's one season at the NFL level for bell cow backs. Hopefully Jacobs can get 12-15 touches against Clemson to help answer some of those questions.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 6 - 3:31 PM

The Draft Network's Kyle Crabbs writes that Alabama junior RB Josh Jacobs has the "kind of size/speed/agility" to be a featured back in the NFL.

Crabbs believes the title game is a perfect opportunity for Jacobs (5'10/216) to become the RB1 in the 2019 NFL Draft since it's a tough test against Clemson's elite front seven. Jacobs lack of a full workload may be his biggest knock against him. Heading into the Championship Game, Jacobs has 240 career carries and 47 career receptions. That's one season at the NFL level for bell cow backs. Hopefully Jacobs can get 12-15 touches against Clemson to help answer some of those questions.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 6 - 3:31 PM
Kyle is a horrible scout, well his drynasty ranking of rookies tend to be waaaaaay off the mark. Several years ago I started tracking certain rankings and evaluations and his rankings are way off by a wide margin. I was a paying customer for his premium content but after tracking and looking at the return on my investment it was a no-brainer.

Tex

Dane Brugler mock 2.0-posted 1/9

27. Oakland Raiders (from Dallas): Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama

Last year, I gave linebacker Leighton Vander Esch the “ascending player” title, and this year, that moniker belongs to Jacobs, who is just scratching the surface of what he can do. He has a strongly built frame with athletic plant-and-go skills to run through or around defenders. Jacobs is also a terrific receiver and blocker and could help reshape what Gruden has in mind for the Raiders offense.

I hope that he declares this year but Saban can be pretty convincing on getting  his junior players to return for their senior season.

Several Alabama juniors still face difficult NFL draft decisions

Excerpt:

JUNIOR RB JOSH JACOBS

Why you go? Jacobs has been Alabama’s do-everything player this season, and he’s done all of it well -- rushing, receiving, blocking and returning kickoffs. An argument can be made that the true junior has been the Tide’s best back in 2018 in what is another crowded backfield. He is listed as CBS Sports’ fifth-best tailback, but Jacobs has impressed NFL scouts. This is also not a deep draft for running backs, meaning Jacobs could be one of the top players at his position. 

Why you stay? If he returns to Tuscaloosa, which Jacobs has vaguely hinted at -- although not as outright as Wilson -- he will be the No. 1 back with Damien Harris running out of eligibility. He would also have another year to make a case for top draft-eligible running back in 2020. 

Draft consideration meter: Warm

He should leave. Next year he's at best the third or Fourth best RB.
I agree that he should declare; however, I can almost guarantee that Saban (autocorrect changed Saban to Satan...lol) is whispering in his ear this week that he should return for his senior season.

I agree Saban can be convincing.  On the surface it makes no sense to return.  Damien Harris leaving only moderately helps him because preferred to play Najee Harris over Jacobs down the stretch anyway even when Damien wasn't in the game.

Likely the top RB this year, but not even in the top 5 next year.

Not to mention the injury risk.

He would be a fool to stay, but so was Damien Harris last year.

I agree Saban can be convincing.  On the surface it makes no sense to return.  Damien Harris leaving only moderately helps him because preferred to play Najee Harris over Jacobs down the stretch anyway even when Damien wasn't in the game.

Likely the top RB this year, but not even in the top 5 next year.

Not to mention the injury risk.

He would be a fool to stay, but so was Damien Harris last year.
Not really. RB class was considered one of the best. Harris staying makes him more of a standout this year.

Jello_Biafra said:
Not really. RB class was considered one of the best. Harris staying makes him more of a standout this year.
Harris was considered right in line with those guys at this time last year.  Most had him and Love as somewhere in the #3-#5 range last year when they returned to school.

Very mediocre senior years have torpedo'd their value even in a weaker class.

Harris was considered right in line with those guys at this time last year.  Most had him and Love as somewhere in the #3-#5 range last year when they returned to school.

Very mediocre senior years have torpedo'd their value even in a weaker class.
Yeah Harris didnt help his cause at all and Love completely destroyed his draft value. Love isnt top 5 in this "mediocre" class (I disagree its mediocre, but that's the narrative). and I wouldn't put Harris there either myself. 

The kid made the right decision:

AL.com reports that Joshua Jacobs is declaring for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Jacobs (5'10/216) will be among a large list of Alabama players who are heading to the NFL. Despite only seeing 120 carries in 2018, Jacobs is being mentioned as an RB1 candidate in this weaker running back class after averaging 5.3 yards per carry (640 yards) with 11 touchdowns. Built with plenty of athleticism -- he returned kicks for the Crimson Tide (30.6 yards per return) -- and size, Jacobs was not only a tough tackle, but he also showed off impressive receiving skills down the stretch posting a 20-247-3 receiving line. If his NFL Combine is positive as everyone expects, Jacobs will likely be a Day 2 pick.

Source: AL.com 

Jan 10 - 9:52 PM

I have a hard time thinking a third string RB with no season over 700 yds on the ground is the top RB in a draft class. I get splitting and situations like Chubb/Michel, Elijah Holyfield having to wait until this year or a Rodney Anderson dealing with injuries... this isn’t that.

I have a hard time thinking a third string RB with no season over 700 yds on the ground is the top RB in a draft class. I get splitting and situations like Chubb/Michel, Elijah Holyfield having to wait until this year or a Rodney Anderson dealing with injuries... this isn’t that.
I shared your skepticism 100% until I looked into him further. depending what team he goes to he is likely 1.1

There are reasons someone is, and remains, third string on their team. Kamara you can look back and point to Tennessee’s staff. Everyone calling him RB1, you going to say Saban was incompetent coaching?

Poor until he got taken by the Saints. Kamara is an outlier not the rule. If you want to chase nothing but outliers, by all means.
I honestly had Kamara as my #4 RB BEFORE the draft. Even did some best ball redrafts with FFPC before the draft and was steady taking him in round 8-10th round before the NFL draft, this I can prove.

I'm not entirely sold on Jacobs yet, not sure if I'm just trying to like him because the class is so thin, but I don't care about his numbers and rarely ever do with college players. Not because I'm chasing outliers, I'm trying to chase talented RB's who can function highly in the passing game and right now he looks like the best bet to me other than a healthy Rodney Anderson.

There are reasons someone is, and remains, third string on their team. Kamara you can look back and point to Tennessee’s staff. Everyone calling him RB1, you going to say Saban was incompetent coaching?
no. saban has an offense that utilizes multiple backs and maximizes their strengths. This usually comes from having a super successful program that has an embarrassment of riches with recruiting 

Jacobs is a better prospect than Swift, IMO

I'd also label him second string since he got more carries and touches then Najeh Harris.

no. saban has an offense that utilizes multiple backs and maximizes their strengths. This usually comes from having a super successful program that has an embarrassment of riches with recruiting 

Jacobs is a better prospect than Swift, IMO
That’s not really true though. He’s had multiple workhorse backs. Even when Ingram and Richardson were splitting they were both highly productive and way moreso than Jacobs. I think Kenyan Drake is the optimistic outlook here (though he seems to be a much better receiver coming out). I wouldn’t be drafting him and thinking he’s going to be a workhorse though which automatically takes value off of him. He could be like Kamara in the right spot I suppose but those are so few and far between. RB depth is also getting rather fat around the league, especially with this upcoming class.

Out of curiosity, what would be the dream spot for someone like Jacobs to take advantage of? I’ve seen some suggest he’s a first round pick on twitter and I guess I’m just highly skeptical right now.  

Users who are viewing this thread