What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (2 Viewers)

From NFL.com

“The Oakland Raiders announced they placed Martin on injured reserve. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, via a source, that the team and Martin are working out a settlement and he'll be released.”

“The development of first-round selection Josh Jacobs might have made the 30-year Martin expendable on a final roster that will surely include all-purpose back Jalen Richard as well.”

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume, volume, volume.

Jacobs is going for RB2 prices in redraft and with the opportunity in front of him, he has a very real chance to exceed his market price. The three guys at CBS have him as RB22, RB20, and RB17 respectively for PPR. What this means is that a lot of risk is already baked into his market price. So...the fact that the Raiders are likely to be a dumpster fire isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. If this were a proven guy on a great offense, you wouldn't be able to get him at RB17-20 in your draft.

I've done pretty well in redraft leagues over the years by going hard on high talent rookie RBs (Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Chris Johnson, Doug Martin, Christian McCaffrey, Nick Chubb). There is typically a fear factor with rookie RBs where the unproven/untested variable scares some owners and suppresses their market price. I always try to capitalize on that. Sometimes you get a flop like Penny or Abdullah, but often times these guys can be league-winners as 4th-7th round picks because the upside is so high.

Consider someone like Trent Richardson. Total flop, right? 3.6 YPC as a rookie on a horrible Browns team. Guess what? He finished as RB8 in his rookie year, and RB7 in terms of ppg. Doug Martin was RB2 that year. Any three-down back who gets 200+ carries and lots of catches is going to have huge weekly value by default.

The AB situation definitely hurts Oakland, but Jacobs should get the ball...a lot. I think he's less dynamic than the likes of Barkley/Bell/Elliott/Mixon as a pure runner, but he's a three down player who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Basically Mark Ingram with a more developed receiving game. Even if the team is brutal, I see him scoring FF points by default.

Josh Jacobs had 23 carries for 85 yards and two touchdowns in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Broncos.

Jacobs was the clear workhorse, rarely coming off the field for Jalen Richard. He didn’t have a ton of success on the ground, but he converted both of his goal-line carries for touchdowns and had a clutch 28-yard catch that helped seal the game. The Raiders look all-in on Jacobs, with Richard getting just one touch. Jacobs will be an RB2 for Week 2 against Chiefs.

Sep 10, 2019, 1:21 AM ET

Jacobs owners are going to be happy.  Looks like he is going to get a ton of volume and should be effective.   The Raider O line looks good and is missing two starters.   Carr is playing well enough that opposing teams will not be able to stack the box either.   

Rookie who flashed: Josh Jacobs, RB

Josh Jacobs, RB

How the newcomer starred: Jacobs, who never carried the ball more than 20 times in a game at Alabama and rushed only 251 times total in college, showed he was more than ready for prime time. His patience, vision and cutting ability kept Broncos edge rushers Von Miller and Bradley Chubb at bay. And Jacobs' 85 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries proved him prophetic -- his play spoke for itself. -- Paul Gutierrez

Raiders coach Jon Gruden wants Josh Jacobs to handle a similarly big workload in Week 2 after he touched the ball 24 times in Monday's win over the Broncos.

Jacobs played 40-of-55 snaps in the opener. Coaches are sometimes displeased after rookies are forced into such heavy workloads, but not Gruden with a back he has been smitten with since early in the pre-draft process. Game flow will be a concern for Jacobs against the Chiefs after the Raiders dominated it against the Broncos, but the first-rounder will see the rock enough to return RB2 value.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Sep 10, 2019, 4:42 PM ET

I drafted him in almost all the drafts I had where he wasn't a total reach. I was thinking he:

1. Looked the part
  2. Played the part
  3. Was going to Gruden
Come home, Josh. There's gold in these here hills. We'll ease up on the usage a little for you, but not too much. Loved how you wore the defense down last night, picking up chunks late.  

The one thing I'll mention is this - how many games will the Raiders lead start to finish? Lemme see the Raiders when they aren't amped up by the AB dismissal.

It's a good thing Jacobs can catch. Plus amped or not they are much improved this year.
Yes, that was a nice little route he ran last night on a basic delayed square-in for twenty eight yards. Yeeha!

Looked pretty good. My only concern is the lack of targets. I expected him to be a much bigger factor in the receiving game. I was thinking 4-5 catches per game. Maybe it will come later in the season as he gets more comfortable with the team and the playbook.

Oakland is going to be up-and-down this season and he's not going to score 2 TDs every week, but he's one of the guys who almost has to beat his preseason ADP if he stays healthy because he's such a strong bet to get high volume. A lot of value here for people in redraft who grabbed him as RB2-RB3. A top 10 RB finish is possible with some catches and big plays mixed in.

Drafted him over Montgomery in my first draft, and in my second draft, and then took Montgomery over him just to switch it up....so obviously I went 2-1 this week. 

Love everything I saw out of JJ against Denver, which still isn't a slouch D by any means.  Curious to see how much time he loses to Richard when Oakland is playing from behind though

My only concern is the lack of targets.
His lack of targets was frustrating.  It seems that running backs who get touted as having great receiving skills during the draft end up not being featured in the passing game more times than not.  Maybe they need time to get comfortable in the system and develop chemistry with the quarterback before the team trusts them as a receiver.  I'm praying to the Baby Jeebus that he becomes more involved as a receiver as the season progresses.

Drafted him over Montgomery in my first draft, and in my second draft, and then took Montgomery over him just to switch it up....so obviously I went 2-1 this week. 

Love everything I saw out of JJ against Denver, which still isn't a slouch D by any means.  Curious to see how much time he loses to Richard when Oakland is playing from behind though
Who's Montgomery?

As a dynasty owner I'm a little worried Chuckie's gonna run him into the ground and ruin his career. Maybe I'm overly paranoid but he does have a track record for that.

wish he got more targets but we will see what they do when they are down in the game, like next week vs KC. He's an excellent receiver but who knows if Richard will spell him in that regard

wish he got more targets but we will see what they do when they are down in the game, like next week vs KC. He's an excellent receiver but who knows if Richard will spell him in that regard
This is going to sound stupid, but I've never been impressed with Richard as a back. I wonder what Gruden thinks of him. I guess we'll have to get a game situation to know, but I'm just not sold on Richard as a really good change of pace back. 

This is going to sound stupid, but I've never been impressed with Richard as a back. I wonder what Gruden thinks of him. I guess we'll have to get a game situation to know, but I'm just not sold on Richard as a really good change of pace back. 
Gruden likes him because the back is responsible for a lot in his offense as far as protections, routes, audibles, etc... and Richard picked up his system right away last year. It's what made Washington almost expendable last year.

May just take more time in the offense for JJ for them to start deploying him in the passing game more or maybe when you have Waller and Renfrow running the short routes he's shifted more towards them or maybe he doesn't want to put everything on tape in week one or...

We'll find out by the 2nd quarter next week what the Raider's catch up unit looks like

EBF said:
Looked pretty good. My only concern is the lack of targets. I expected him to be a much bigger factor in the receiving game. I was thinking 4-5 catches per game. Maybe it will come later in the season as he gets more comfortable with the team and the playbook.

Oakland is going to be up-and-down this season and he's not going to score 2 TDs every week, but he's one of the guys who almost has to beat his preseason ADP if he stays healthy because he's such a strong bet to get high volume. A lot of value here for people in redraft who grabbed him as RB2-RB3. A top 10 RB finish is possible with some catches and big plays mixed in.
It's one game   Pretty sure Jacobs will get more receptions/game as the team comes  together .  The skill positions are all new from last year for Carr.   

His value has not caught up to his past ranking. He's now a top 12 RB according to Footballguys moving forward. I think I prefer him over K Johnson at this point? Package the deal and it looks like I would take a big hit in points. Never seen such a lobsided negative return on a trade for myself that I believe will be the winner. 

Congrats to whoever reached or secured Jacobs. Guy is about to go over 100 total yards again this game (this time all on the ground so far). Raiders look like ### over all, so likely not to get a TD, but here's the thing:

Jacobs is a fantastic runner. He makes yards when there is seemingly none. He runs with violence and power. A few runs -- particularly his last long one where he could have leaked out of bounds on the sideline, he purposefully turned infield to seek contact with the downfield defender to gain a few more yards.

He's just everything you want to see in a runner -- talented, hits holes hard, falls forward, fantastic vision.

This team is limiting him today, but he's going to be effective for both fantasy teams and the Raiders this year. Just a joy to watch.

I'm really surprised to see how tough of a runner he is. I think the people comparing him to Gore could be pretty close.

Josh Jacobs rushed 12 times for 99 scoreless yards in the Raiders' Week 2 loss against the Chiefs.

Jacobs was pretty much the only bright spot from the Raiders offense after the first quarter. He displayed a tantalizing mix of agility and pure speed on a 51-yard run straight through the teeth of the Chiefs defense, finishing the run in style by bullying through a defender for an additional few yards. The only troublesome outcome from Jacobs’ performance was his lack of a role in the pass game, as both DeAndre Washington (two targets) and Jalen Richard (three) were more featured than Jacobs (zero) as receivers. Jacobs (26 snaps) didn't work too far ahead of the combination of Richard (10) and Washington (six). Jacobs is better approached as a lower-end RB2 for the Raiders’ tough Week 3 matchup in Minnesota.

Would like to see some receptions to tack onto his stat line.
Agreed.  Though I do think he had one in this game that was mis-recorded as being Richard.  I could have sworn that 8 yard catch in the 2nd half was Jacobs.

Would like to see some receptions to tack onto his stat line.
agreed. Actually pretty criminal considering their two weapons are Waller and Tyrell Williams and not much else... doesn't have to be garbage time passes, get this guy involved, sustain drives

Coach Jon Gruden told reporters Monday that RB Josh Jacobs is dealing with a groin issue.

It's unclear if Jacobs is at risk of missing the Raiders' Week 3 matchup against the Vikings. He continues to work as the offense's undisputed lead back, but he might be a bit more game-script dependent than originally thought. Overall, Jacobs (26 snaps, zero targets) was behind each of DeAndre Washington (six snaps, two targets) and Jalen Richard (10 snaps, three targets) when it came to pass-game usage in Week 2. Jacobs is best approached as a lower-end RB2 ahead of his tough matchup.

SOURCE: Scott Bair on Twitter.

Sep 16, 2019, 4:03 PM ET

Josh Jacobs (hip) was limited at practice Wednesday.

Coach Jon Gruden said Jacobs was dealing with a groin issue earlier today, and we aren't sure if that's the same injury as what was listed on the injury report because that said hip. Regardless, Jacobs is questionable for Week 3 and his practice report is worth monitoring the rest of the week. If Jacobs plays, he'll be a low-end RB2 after losing pass-catching reps to Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington last week.

Sep 18, 2019, 6:53 PM ET

Rotoworld take:

Raiders RB Josh Jacobs (groin) said that he's also been sick and has lost 10 pounds.

Not great! Jacobs already faced game-script concerns for the Raiders' Week 3 matchup against the Vikings in Minnesota, and now there's even more risk for reduced snaps due to both his groin injury and sickness. He is best approached as a low-end RB2 in this spot. Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington are expected to continue to get most of the offense's pass-game work and could see additional snaps if Jacobs isn't close to 100% by Sunday. The Raiders are presently implied to score a mediocre 17 points.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter.

Sep 19, 2019, 11:40 AM ET

Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington are expected to continue to get most of the offense's pass-game work and could see additional snaps if Jacobs isn't close to 100% by Sunday.
So who's the better handcuff at this point should Jacobs miss any games? I feel like its Washington but I don't pay much attention to the Raiders outside of JJ.

Josh Jacobs (hip) remained limited at Thursday's practice.

Coach Jon Gruden had previously identified Jacobs' injury as a groin issue but the body part affected is actually his hip. Either way, Jacobs, who is also dealing with an illness, looks to be on track for Sunday's game in Minnesota. He'll take aim at a Vikings defense that just served up 116 rushing yards to Aaron Jones in Week 2.

Sep 19, 2019, 4:57 PM ET

Rotoworld take:

Raiders RB Josh Jacobs (groin) said that he's also been sick and has lost 10 pounds.

Not great! Jacobs already faced game-script concerns for the Raiders' Week 3 matchup against the Vikings in Minnesota, and now there's even more risk for reduced snaps due to both his groin injury and sickness. He is best approached as a low-end RB2 in this spot. Jalen Richard and DeAndre Washington are expected to continue to get most of the offense's pass-game work and could see additional snaps if Jacobs isn't close to 100% by Sunday. The Raiders are presently implied to score a mediocre 17 points.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter.

Sep 19, 2019, 11:40 AM ET
HE LOST 10lbs from being sick?!?!?! HOW?!?! FROM WHAT?!?!? Has he traveled outside of the country in the last 10 days?????

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread