What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The NFL’s Retired Numbers (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Old thread here.

Does the NFL still allow official retired numbers? I look at Pro Football Reference and I see that numbers that supposed have been retired by the Saints - Jim Taylor 31 & Doug Atkins 81 - are not actually retired by the team. Archie Manning’s 8 is unofficially retired as it hasn’t been used since he quit, but it doesn’t appear to be official. They *were but haven’t been really since the late 80s. Then I see other teams have similar situations, once retired numbers which aren’t anymore. 

Per the original thread the Pats once had 7 numbers retired but I’m not sure that is still the case.

For the Packers Paul Hornung’s 5 was retired but actually has been used occasionally now for some time. It’s hardvto imagine a more treasured player than Hornung.

What numbers are still retired for the team you follow? Just curious if this is still a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick Wiki search repeatedly says "retired numbers" and not "ring of honor" or distinguished players or anything like that. 

For the Jets: 

Broadway Joe Namath - 12

Don Maynard - 13

Joe Klecko - 73

Packers:

Officially retired: 3, 4, 14, 15, 66, 92

Unofficially retired: 1,5 (they bring them out for preseason)

The Cowboys don’t officially retire them but also don’t hand out certain numbers. 74, 8 and 22 appears to be off the table. They’ll sometimes let them get used in the preseason. 

Then there are numbers like “88” and “94” which are given to certain players if they feel like they will live up to their potential. 

The Giants have 11 retired numbers, one of which is retired for 2 guys. The need to add a 13th number  to the list. #45 for Emlen Tunnell should also be retired.

Here are the retired #'s

1 - Ray Flatherty

4 - Tuffy Leemans

7 - Mel Hein

11 - Phil Simms

14 - Ward Cuff & YA Tittle 

16 - Frank Gifford

32 - Al Blozis

40 - Joe Morrison

42 - Charlie Conerly 

50 - Ken Strong

56 - Lawrence Taylor 

Old thread here.

Does the NFL still allow official retired numbers? I look at Pro Football Reference and I see that numbers that supposed have been retired by the Saints - Jim Taylor 31 & Doug Atkins 81 - are not actually retired by the team. Archie Manning’s 8 is unofficially retired as it hasn’t been used since he quit, but it doesn’t appear to be official. They *were but haven’t been really since the late 80s. Then I see other teams have similar situations, once retired numbers which aren’t anymore. 

Per the original thread the Pats once had 7 numbers retired but I’m not sure that is still the case.

For the Packers Paul Hornung’s 5 was retired but actually has been used occasionally now for some time. It’s hardvto imagine a more treasured player than Hornung.

What numbers are still retired for the team you follow? Just curious if this is still a thing.
Who thinks of Jerry Rice as a Raider, Tony Dorsett a Bronco or O.J.Simpson a Niner?

Jim Taylor will always be a Packer, Doug Atkins a Bear. You never think of them as a Saint.

Given the fact that you have 53 guys on the active roster and they are required to wear specific numbers according to position, retiring numbers is pretty dumb imo. You can still hang their numbers in the rafters or do whatever you need to do, but retiring them makes little sense.

Ravens haven’t retired any officially but there’s no way anyone else is ever wearing 52. 

Also hard to imagine them giving out Ogden’s 75 or Ed Reed’s 20. 

Seattle has a few:

80* Steve Largent

Brought out of retirement for a portion of the 2004 season for Jerry Rice.

12* Fans/The 12th Man

Retired in 1984 in honor of Seattle Seahawks fans.

71 Walter Jones

96 Cortez Kennedy

45 Kenny Easley

Users who are viewing this thread