What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL NEW *** Sous Vide/Immersion circulator thread. (1 Viewer)

I purchased a 3.5lb Wagyu Tri-Tip about a week ago.  Experimented with the following method:

Seasoned it with Salt & Pepper.  Put it on the Yoder Pellet Smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees to put a smoke flavor on it.

Placed it in a FoodSaver Bag and into the Sous Vide at 132 degrees for 6 hours.  

Then cranked up the heat on the Yoder to 550, slathered garlic butter on the Tri-Tip and seared it for about 90 seconds per side for a "bark".

Really over the top - though I think I could have improved on the bark.  I'm going to try this method - "cold smoke-sous vide-grill" for some other cuts like Brisket moving forward.

Have a chorizo spice rubbed pork shoulder in mine right now. It's the 2nd time I've done it and it turns out amazing. Cook at 200 for 6-8 hours, pull it and shred it. So tasty.

Have a chorizo spice rubbed pork shoulder in mine right now. It's the 2nd time I've done it and it turns out amazing. Cook at 200 for 6-8 hours, pull it and shred it. So tasty.
I've got a 6lb pork Boston butt I'm gonna smoke for 18-24 hours tomorrow...can't bring myself to try to sous vide something that size yet. Do you sear it to give it some crust/char/color on the outside before you shred it?

Tonight Im SV'ing chicken breasts with EVOO, salt, pepper, and fresh chopped garlic. Going with rice pilaf and sauteed broccoli to round out the meal. Will sear the breasts, slice them up and fan them out over the rice for a fancy presentation. I might drizzle some balsamic on top as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is a good solution. I have two Joules and often use them both.

I also have my old Anova (this one) that I would be willing to sell at a solid FBG discount. Let me know if you're interested.
If this is still available, please PM me the details. I'd like to dip my toe in the SV water...

Wingnut said:
I've got a 6lb pork Boston butt I'm gonna smoke for 18-24 hours tomorrow...can't bring myself to try to sous vide something that size yet. Do you sear it to give it some crust/char/color on the outside before you shred it?

Tonight Im SV'ing chicken breasts with EVOO, salt, pepper, and fresh chopped garlic. Going with rice pilaf and sauteed broccoli to round out the meal. Will sear the breasts, slice them up and fan them out over the rice for a fancy presentation. I might drizzle some balsamic on top as well.
Note I blanche all long soaks at lower temp, just because of stories on lactobaccilus.  

I've done one chicken with skin on, as I tend to like the skin, and didn't get it to crisp up well (and it stuck to the pan).  I need to figure chicken out a bit better.

Wingnut said:

Nope no searing after, I have tried it before I start the cook but haven't noticed much in terms of flavor or appearance. I don't use a full shoulder, I only use about 4.5lbs cut up into 3-4" chunks.

Oh anytime you want to use garlic in the sous vide, use powder not raw garlic. You get way more flavor using the powder. I watched a video where a guy did a blind taste test using minced, whole, sliced, roasted and powder. Got way more flavor with the powder.

ETA Video Link

Having played around with this thing for a while I think pork chops are the sweet spot.  I have always had trouble cooking them without drying them out, but loved ordering them from nice restaurants.  They come out perfectly cooked every time now, and arguably better than most I've had in fancy restaurants.  Steak and pork belly also came out really good.

Where I have had no success is vegetables and fish, but at least those are things that are generally easy and fast to cook traditionally. 

Haven't tried larger cuts like pork shoulder.  Would sous vide really be a better method than a slow cooker or pressure cooker?

Looking to do a prime rib using sous vide.  Anyone done so with good results? 

I watched this and like what he did.

However, I don't have a torch to finish so I'm wondering what would be the best way to finish.  A few things I've looked up talk about putting it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at high temps to crust but I wonder if it can be done on a cast-iron pan.

Looking to do a prime rib using sous vide.  Anyone done so with good results? 

I watched this and like what he did.

However, I don't have a torch to finish so I'm wondering what would be the best way to finish.  A few things I've looked up talk about putting it in the oven for 10-15 minutes at high temps to crust but I wonder if it can be done on a cast-iron pan.
You don't get as big of a bang for your buck using quality cuts for the sous vide unless you have trouble cooking them traditionally.  I am sure it will turn out good but won't have the huge difference you see in quality change when using a lesser cut of meat. 

Gally said:
You don't get as big of a bang for your buck using quality cuts for the sous vide unless you have trouble cooking them traditionally.  I am sure it will turn out good but won't have the huge difference you see in quality change when using a lesser cut of meat. 
Totally disagree, esp for something like Prime Rib where you really want edge to edge medium rare. I make prime cut steaks in it all the time and they are so much better than just grilling. Can't get edge to edge medium rare any other way.

I'd use your broiler set on high and just flip it as it gets seared, it shouldn't affect the edge to edge too much.

Totally disagree, esp for something like Prime Rib where you really want edge to edge medium rare. I make prime cut steaks in it all the time and they are so much better than just grilling. Can't get edge to edge medium rare any other way.

I'd use your broiler set on high and just flip it as it gets seared, it shouldn't affect the edge to edge too much.
I understand and agree it is good and gives you more flexibility however the overall difference still isn't as big as you get with the lesser cuts of meat.  It is all good and my comment was more about the overall difference it tougher cuts. 

ChefSteps lays off almost entire staff

Cooking tech startup ChefSteps, funded by Valve’s Gabe Newell, cuts jobs but says it will live on.

ChefSteps, the high-tech cooking startup financed by video game titan Gabe Newell, cut an unspecified number of jobs on Wednesday, significantly scaling back its operations.

But the company plans to remain in business, and continue selling and supporting its Joule sous vide cooking device, according to co-founder and CEO Chris Young

A post on The Food Oasis reported Wednesday that ChefSteps had “laid off almost their entire staff and will be shuttering day-to-day operations.” However, Young told GeekWire via text Wednesday evening that ChefSteps remains in business and will continue to sell and support Joule.

Lamb Shanks at 170 degrees for 24 hours + a cherry jam/mustard/aujuice reduction glaze baked on under the broiler turned out crazy good.

Did 3/4 inch bone in Ribeyes tonight (1.5 lbs each) and they turned out fantastic. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this thing. I still can't get a good cast iron sear but my grill does the job just fine. Sous vide to 124 degrees  then finished on the grill for a perfect med rare. Did fondant potatoes and grilled asparagus to round out the meal. Cheers!

Ready to take a bath

Nailed it

Sides on point

Whole steakage

Did 3/4 inch bone in Ribeyes tonight (1.5 lbs each) and they turned out fantastic. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this thing. I still can't get a good cast iron sear but my grill does the job just fine. Sous vide to 124 degrees  then finished on the grill for a perfect med rare. Did fondant potatoes and grilled asparagus to round out the meal. Cheers!

Nailed it

Sides on point

Whole steakage

How long did you sous vide?

Wingnut said:

Ready to take a bath

Nailed it

Sides on point

Whole steakage
really nice cap on that ...my favorite cut of meat.  

You can smoke and reverse sear. Or even bake in a low oven and reverse sear. You just need a probe thermometer. 

Tried something a bit different that I hadn't heard of before, and I gotta say the results were only the best steaks I've made with my Joule yet.

So after immersing the Ribeyes and cooking for 2 hours at 130 degrees, I plunged the vacuum sealed bags in ice water to cool them down for about 10 min. While waiting, I fired up the grill, and about 10 min later when it was fully heated I seared them off and man. They. Were. Awesome.

The idea behind shocking them in ice water is so the steak cools down throughout. Then, when you sear, you have an extra couple of minutes per side to get a good crust and warm up the inside before the internal temp starts to rise above the target temp. When you take a steak out of the water and sear it immediately, the steak is already hot and continues to cook a bit, and you can get a grey ring around the edge pretty quick. That didn't happen tonight, I wish I would have taken a pic.

I'll be doing steaks this way from now on, they were a perfect med rare edge to edge. I was able to sear the steaks over a nice flame for about 2-3 minutes per side getting nice char over the entire surface, especially on the fat. 

Tried something a bit different that I hadn't heard of before, and I gotta say the results were only the best steaks I've made with my Joule yet.

So after immersing the Ribeyes and cooking for 2 hours at 130 degrees, I plunged the vacuum sealed bags in ice water to cool them down for about 10 min. While waiting, I fired up the grill, and about 10 min later when it was fully heated I seared them off and man. They. Were. Awesome.

The idea behind shocking them in ice water is so the steak cools down throughout. Then, when you sear, you have an extra couple of minutes per side to get a good crust and warm up the inside before the internal temp starts to rise above the target temp. When you take a steak out of the water and sear it immediately, the steak is already hot and continues to cook a bit, and you can get a grey ring around the edge pretty quick. That didn't happen tonight, I wish I would have taken a pic.

I'll be doing steaks this way from now on, they were a perfect med rare edge to edge. I was able to sear the steaks over a nice flame for about 2-3 minutes per side getting nice char over the entire surface, especially on the fat. 
My only worry is that the middle of the meat is too cold when you go to eat.  I guess for that short of time in the ice (10 minutes) it doesn't cool it enough to be a problem?

I can see doing this on thinner cuts but it feels like overkill for anything reasonably thick.  Resting a steak at RT for 10 minutes as you would normally do prior to serving then 45 seconds per side at ~450 degrees will typically do a spot on job without creating any gray ring.  

I can see doing this on thinner cuts but it feels like overkill for anything reasonably thick.  Resting a steak at RT for 10 minutes as you would normally do prior to serving then 45 seconds per side at ~450 degrees will typically do a spot on job without creating any gray ring.  
I haven't been able to get a decent sear on anything before trying this without overcooking it. It was to the point where I almost quit using my Joule because it was frustrating. The ice method worked great and allowed me to sear for 2-3 minutes, maybe a but longer per side, and get a great sear without raising the internal temp. Im sold 

My only worry is that the middle of the meat is too cold when you go to eat.  I guess for that short of time in the ice (10 minutes) it doesn't cool it enough to be a problem?
It wasn't. Searing on my hot grill for about 5 min total warmed the inside up just enough without raising the temp. 

I haven't been able to get a decent sear on anything before trying this without overcooking it. It was to the point where I almost quit using my Joule because it was frustrating. The ice method worked great and allowed me to sear for 2-3 minutes, maybe a but longer per side, and get a great sear without raising the internal temp. Im sold 
Interesting.  How hot does your grill get at the grates?

I was having the same issue of not getting a good finish before I made sure I did a couple things.

1) You have to really, really dry the meat after you get it out of the sous vide. Pat dry over and over until there is no moisture whatsoever. If you leave some, then it starts to steam when you put it on the heat and you will NEVER get a good crust.

2) The pan (or grill) has to be rip-roaring hot. I turn on my cast iron a good five minutes before putting the meat on.  The oil goes in about 30 seconds before and when it starts to smoke (I use canola), I put the meat on. Don't touch it for 45 seconds-1 minute. It won't overcook. If you try to move it and it's sticking, it hasn't been on long enough. Flip it, add some butter and drizzle over and done in another 45-60 seconds.

It's been fool proof since I paid attention to the above.

Hey I support whatever works. Do you have an infrared thermometer? 

I've done this I don't know how many times and virtually never had an issue. I agree with @gianmarco that a potential issue you have is you either did not pat the meat dry well enough and/or your pan is not hot enough. An infrared thermometer is incredibly helpful is this regard.  I also salt my steaks a few minutes prior to searing but am honestly not sure that helps with the sear.

If you are using a broiler then maybe you are not placing the rack close enough (or, again not hot enough).

But 45 seconds and 450 degrees works virtually every single time for me. 

HTH

Did an absolutely fantastic tri-tip this past weekend. First time I got my wife to actually rave about it instead of just saying it was good or really good.

Very simple - 129 for 4 hours, then a sear on an all-clad pan (we don't have a cast-iron but this comes close) with grapeseed oil.

As for seasoning during cooking: liberal rub of salt and minced garlic all over it, then a little bit of liquid painted on: generic bbq sauce, a tiny bit of hot sauce from our very own @Hot Sauce Guy, and a little bit of fresh lemon juice.

Came out incredible. Nothing beats sous vide and sear for tenderness, especially on cuts that would otherwise be best low and slow. 

Hey I support whatever works. Do you have an infrared thermometer? 

I've done this I don't know how many times and virtually never had an issue. I agree with @gianmarco that a potential issue you have is you either did not pat the meat dry well enough and/or your pan is not hot enough. An infrared thermometer is incredibly helpful is this regard.  I also salt my steaks a few minutes prior to searing but am honestly not sure that helps with the sear.

If you are using a broiler then maybe you are not placing the rack close enough (or, again not hot enough).

But 45 seconds and 450 degrees works virtually every single time for me. 

HTH
I wouldn't put spices (maybe salt is fine) before the sear - you run the risk of burning an aromatic in a way that is bad for flavor, IMO. Agree also that patting dry is extremely important.

One trick to know the pan is hot enough is to put the oil in and see how it reacts. You can get your finger wet with water and flick a little water on, and if it sizzles violently, you're too hot. No sizzle, not hot enough.

I wouldn't put spices (maybe salt is fine) before the sear - you run the risk of burning an aromatic in a way that is bad for flavor, IMO. Agree also that patting dry is extremely important.

One trick to know the pan is hot enough is to put the oil in and see how it reacts. You can get your finger wet with water and flick a little water on, and if it sizzles violently, you're too hot. No sizzle, not hot enough.
Agreed about aromatics.

Water sizzles like heck at 450 and that's just about perfect temp for a 45-60 sear per side.

Did an absolutely fantastic tri-tip this past weekend. First time I got my wife to actually rave about it instead of just saying it was good or really good.

Very simple - 129 for 4 hours, then a sear on an all-clad pan (we don't have a cast-iron but this comes close) with grapeseed oil.

As for seasoning during cooking: liberal rub of salt and minced garlic all over it, then a little bit of liquid painted on: generic bbq sauce, a tiny bit of hot sauce from our very own @Hot Sauce Guy, and a little bit of fresh lemon juice.

Came out incredible. Nothing beats sous vide and sear for tenderness, especially on cuts that would otherwise be best low and slow. 
 Sounds awesome… Which sauce did you use? 

Also, I have an awesome tritip marinade recipe and based on my Instagram. It uses year of the dog. Check it out! 

Sounds awesome… Which sauce did you use? 

Also, I have an awesome tritip marinade recipe and based on my Instagram. It uses year of the dog. Check it out! 
I'm not home to look (I travel during the week), but I think it was the standard green label I've got a decently large bottle of. I think I'm gonna try it out with some chicken in a thai-inspired dish I've been thinking of. Not quite curry, but doing meat and veggies kind of stir-fried in a sauce with liberal amounts of the green label, then adding in some cooked glass noodles...with my 2 or so nights a week to cook I tend to make a bunch of crazy #### up one night and then do something tried and true on the other.

I typically do a tri-tip for 24-30 hours in a sous vide at whatever temp you like the doneness to be.  Then sear.  It is fork tender - no knife needed.   I have tried different lengths and 24-30 hrs seems to do the best.  I have never done anything as short as 4 hours. 

The only complaint...and it's not really a bad thing necessarily...….is that with only doing a quick sear we miss out on the smokiness in the flavor that you typically get by doing a tri-tip over oak.  It's a different flavor profile.  Not bad just not the same as the typical tri-tip.

I want to try a sous vide for 4-8 hours and then do a low temp smoke for a couple hours on one.  I just haven't had the opportunity yet (I don't have a smoker so need to get with a buddy to do the smoking). 

I finally did the sous vide & smoker on a tri tip.  I sous vide for 12 hours and then smoked it for 2 hrs at 175.   It had the desired outcome in that the meat had a smokiness to it that brought the flavor back to more similar to a traditional grilling over oak flavor however the meat was a little dry.  It was still very tender and it wasn't totally dry but dry enough that you could tell a difference.  Flavor was excellent.  Maybe the temp on the smoker was a little too much?  I am not a smoker so I am not experienced on the best way for that.  Maybe it should be basted while smoking? But I figured it would kind of defeat the smoking if you kept opening up to baste. 

Suggestions for next time from any smoker experts to keep it a little moister?

Bought a chest Freezer for this quarantine. Pulled out a 8lb pork shoulder. 155/24. Cast iron sear after in ghee garlic with a homemade bbq sauce  

damn good

I bought 10 pounds of short ribs from Whole Foods. They're in the water bath at 132 degrees for 72 hours, then I'll rub and smoke them in the Big Green Egg for around 4 hours. Best ribs I've ever had. Whatever we don't eat, I can freeze and have later for self-quarantine sandwiches.

Our quarantine venture is a walk to the local butcher every few days.

I love the sous vide. We just did a couple picanha, 3 hours at 135, then a sear - delicious. Like holy cow delicious. Legit only seasoned with some salt and pepper too. 

Gally said:
I finally did the sous vide & smoker on a tri tip.  I sous vide for 12 hours and then smoked it for 2 hrs at 175.   It had the desired outcome in that the meat had a smokiness to it that brought the flavor back to more similar to a traditional grilling over oak flavor however the meat was a little dry.  It was still very tender and it wasn't totally dry but dry enough that you could tell a difference.  Flavor was excellent.  Maybe the temp on the smoker was a little too much?  I am not a smoker so I am not experienced on the best way for that.  Maybe it should be basted while smoking? But I figured it would kind of defeat the smoking if you kept opening up to baste. 

Suggestions for next time from any smoker experts to keep it a little moister?
Why not do it the other way around?  The way you did it, wouldn't it already be at the temp after the sous vide?  then you are adding more temp with the smoke.  Why not smoke for a couple hours, but pull it off when it is short of the desired temp.  Then sous vide until the end.

Why not do it the other way around?  The way you did it, wouldn't it already be at the temp after the sous vide?  then you are adding more temp with the smoke.  Why not smoke for a couple hours, but pull it off when it is short of the desired temp.  Then sous vide until the end.
It was an experiment.  I have the sous vide and my buddy has the smoker.  Easier to sous vide first because of that.  I also didn't go directly from sous vide to smoker so it cooled some. 

Typically I sous vide then sear.  I figured this would be the same.  I have never done it the opposite.  Has anybody done it the opposite order?

Thinking about getting my feet wet here.

A dumb question I have.....what keeps the bag from floating?

Floating wouldn’t be good, right. 

Do you have a vacuum sealer? If you have one of those, it will sink. 

The key is getting rid of the air from the bag.

You either vacuum seal it to get out all the air or submerge the Ziploc bag to remove the air and then seal.  Its fairly easy.

Users who are viewing this thread