What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Devine Ozigbo (1 Viewer)

I'm targeting him in the 3rd or 4th for dynasty rookie drafts. He's better than Murray & Kamara is getting hurt this year.

Saints waived RB Devine Ozigbo.

A rookie UDFA out of Nebraska, Ozigbo was a favorite of some in the draft community. He got a lot of run with the Saints backups this preseason, compiling a 21-92-0 rushing line (4.4 YPC) and 9-61-1 as a pass-catcher. He's a candidate for the practice squad.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

Aug 31, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

Ozigbo is one of my favorite deep sleepers. I was hoping somebody would claim him. 

JAX is a good landing spot (better than the Saints with Kamara there).

IMO the only better landing spots for Ozigbo would have been TB or GB

Fournette fell out of favor in 2018 and they have very little behind him. TJ Yeldon was stealing touches last season. He has a pretty good path toward seeing playing time this season. New Orleans he was hoping for an injury. JAX he just needs Fournette to keep being Fournette 

The fact that JAX claimed 2 RBs shows that they arent too confident in their depth there

He has a pulse now, and that's all that matters 

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that he couldn’t beat out Dwayne Washington is a bit more than cause for concern IMO.  
Saints were pretty tight on their roster space, and Washington plays special teams I believe. I dont think Ozigbo was as big of a factor there.

RB3 or 4 should double on special teams. Ozigbo has the chance to be rb2 on JAX

The fact that he couldn’t beat out Dwayne Washington is a bit more than cause for concern IMO.  
There's likely more to that than straight RB talent (special teams).

I'm betting Payton was hoping to stash Ozigbo on the practice squad.

IMO the only better landing spots for Ozigbo would have been TB or GB

Fournette fell out of favor in 2018 and they have very little behind him. TJ Yeldon was stealing touches last season. He has a pretty good path toward seeing playing time this season. New Orleans he was hoping for an injury. JAX he just needs Fournette to keep being Fournette 

The fact that JAX claimed 2 RBs shows that they arent too confident in their depth there

He has a pulse now, and that's all that matters 
Alfred Blue is injured. Rydell Armstead is still there - he runs like a bull (sort of like Fournette) so Ozigbo offers a different skill set that the Jags don’t really have otherwise.

I don’t understand the hate on Washington. He’s a SPARQ freak who has played pretty decent when given the chance. If Murray or Kamara were to go down he’d have instant RB2 upside.

I don’t understand the hate on Washington. He’s a SPARQ freak who has played pretty decent when given the chance. If Murray or Kamara were to go down he’d have instant RB2 upside.
Not sure where you got “hate” from that.  The Ozigbo believers are excited that he went from the best fantasy offense in the league where he had to only jump an oft injured Latavius and 4th year “SPARQ freak” (that’s done next to nothing in his three year career) in order to have a seat at the fantasy relevance table.  Now they’re hoping that he beats out a 5th round rookie to potentially get carries in a meh offense.  Guess I don’t see the reason for excitement, and I held a couple shares.  He’s a pretty easy drop for me now.

Not sure where you got “hate” from that.  The Ozigbo believers are excited that he went from the best fantasy offense in the league where he had to only jump an oft injured Latavius and 4th year “SPARQ freak” (that’s done next to nothing in his three year career) in order to have a seat at the fantasy relevance table.  Now they’re hoping that he beats out a 5th round rookie to potentially get carries in a meh offense.  Guess I don’t see the reason for excitement, and I held a couple shares.  He’s a pretty easy drop for me now.
Well, certainly I was excited about the NO offense. He was cut from there, and this is possibly one of the best if not the best landing spot he could have gotten 

NO has their reasons for cutting him, and it certainly isnt that he sucked this preseason (he looked pretty solid)

It’s a better spot for him to get carries, for a udfa getting carries is most important....before they fade into oblivion.

He went from the potential to be RB3 (ya know, if he had made the team) on a team that gives significant touches to its top 2 RBs to the potential to be RB3 on a less productive team that’s typically featured a single RB.  Granted, you might argue the opportunity is there behind Fournette but I’d argue is was way more of an opportunity behind Latavius.  To think that Ozigbo is ever going to be “the guy” is a bit optimistic, but on the Saints I thought he had a real chance to be “a guy.”  

Guess we’ll find out.

He went from the potential to be RB3 (ya know, if he had made the team) on a team that gives significant touches to its top 2 RBs to the potential to be RB3 on a less productive team that’s typically featured a single RB.  Granted, you might argue the opportunity is there behind Fournette but I’d argue is was way more of an opportunity behind Latavius.  To think that Ozigbo is ever going to be “the guy” is a bit optimistic, but on the Saints I thought he had a real chance to be “a guy.”  

Guess we’ll find out.
Fournette more injury prone.  Even if Kamara was injured, Latavious is the clear 2.

He’s competing with a 5th round rookie for the backup spot behind a frequently injured started.

But yah...all talk until the games played.

The hate isn’t just from you... it’s also based in twitter. Most of my posts I’m generalizing off of one persons comments that is reflective of a community. I just think the group think is funny. Same community values a 27 y/o SPARQ freak former UDFA as a 2nd rounder all offseason until a washed 31 year old cut from a #### team emerges. 

So when I think for myself I go: New Orleans, multiple years of top RB production from a sub athlete like Mark Ingram. Great opportunity. Washington one injury away. Everyone else: He’s dog ####, no way I would roster him... while drafting Damien Williams repeatedly.

Guess we’ll find out.
I’m not sure they feature a single RB - TJ Yeldon seemed to get a decent amount of touches there.

The hype on this guy is kinda curious. He’s an ok RB with an ok profile but a few analysts decided around draft time that he was their sleeper, now he’s cut from a roster and he’s still getting buzz because of the weak depth chart and people are expecting him to ascend straight to #2.

I’m convinced it’s because he’s got a cool name. People like saying it. If his name was James Smith we wouldn’t even know who he was.

The hype on this guy is kinda curious. He’s an ok RB with an ok profile but a few analysts decided around draft time that he was their sleeper, now he’s cut from a roster and he’s still getting buzz because of the weak depth chart and people are expecting him to ascend straight to #2.

I’m convinced it’s because he’s got a cool name. People like saying it. If his name was James Smith we wouldn’t even know who he was.
lol. I like his running style and think he has a good chance at being a pretty good NFL rb. probably wrong since hes been cut once already but there are worse fliers out there imo

He broke out very, very late in his college career. Throughout any position I’ve studied that’s an incredibly bad sign. Combine that with being undrafted and he is a very large outlier. He is a good athlete though. I would say he could maybe spot start but wash out without ever posting a top 24 season.

Anybody else been holding him ? I dunno, I just kind of sense he may get his chance at some point this season if it goes ahead. He looked pretty nimble at the tail end of last year and rumour continues to swirl around Fournette. He’s got the size to be a 3 down back. Armstead is there of course, but I think he could beat him out. 

5 Non-Starters Who Have Impressed at Jaguars Training Camp Thus Far

Excerpt:

Devine Ozigbo 

With Ryquell Armstead not on the practice field until Thursday due to being placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, second-year running back Devine Ozigbo has gotten plenty of chances to show what he can do. Ozigbo was one of the preseason stars of the 2019 season after he impressed with the New Orleans Saints reserve offense, and so far in camp he has shown more of the same playmaking ability. 

On running plays and drills, Ozigbo is hitting the hole hard and showing a lot of power to go along with his explosion. He hasn't shied away from contact at any point, and has even had a few bruising reps vs. linebackers in which you can say he dealt the punishment. As a pass-catcher, Ozigbo has been consistent in terms of his route running and ball security out of the backfield, even scoring on a checkdown during red zone drills on Friday. It remains to be seen just how many touches Ozigbo will get in an offense with Leonard Fournette in it, but so far he has been one of the highlights of the position.  

Booted Dare Ogunbowale from the end of my bench to prevent someone from sniping Ozigbo off my taxi squad. Love this kid's potential, we'll see if he does something with the sudden opportunity.

mcintyre1 said:
I mean sure, but so is the list of successful 5th round RBs. It's an opportunity that's currently pretty open, nothing more.
List of good 5th rounders >> good UDFA cut by original team.

List of good 5th rounders >> good UDFA cut by original team.
What kind of a sample size are we really talking about here? Like 30 guys total? Not really worth going back and forth on this. Ryquell will almost definitely get the first crack, but they clearly like Ozigbo too if they were willing to cut their starter after a training camp where Armstead was absent for a decent chunk of it. 

What kind of a sample size are we really talking about here? Like 30 guys total? Not really worth going back and forth on this. Ryquell will almost definitely get the first crack, but they clearly like Ozigbo too if they were willing to cut their starter after a training camp where Armstead was absent for a decent chunk of it. 
Or do they like James Robinson? 

Yeah, could be that too. I need to look into him, have seen the name floated as a sleeper but never bothered because he was so far down the list.
I just picked him up as a flyer.  I have no idea about him but that he has looked good in camp (but who doesn't this time of year....hahhaa).  Cost was low so I figured why not.  Ozigbo was already gone.

I just picked him up as a flyer.  I have no idea about him but that he has looked good in camp (but who doesn't this time of year....hahhaa).  Cost was low so I figured why not.  Ozigbo was already gone.
He looks pretty similar to Ozigbo on paper -- pretty similarly great non-40 combine/pro-day numbers (Ozigbo may be a touch faster, but combine vs. pro-day uncertainty there), good builds for an every down back, though Ozigbo has noticeably thicker legs than both Armstead and Robinson. They're pretty similar prospects, definitely worthy of picking up either if you have the roster space and need a RB lotto ticket.

Greg Cosell had some really good things to say about Ozigbo on a podcast.  Even said his style reminded him of Gurley. Not that he is always right,  by any means,  but his opinion does have some weight for me. 

Jaguars beat writer John Shipley said RB Ryquell Armstead's absence from practice could mean RB Devine Ozigbo "could get some decent Week 1 run." 

Armstead missed nearly three weeks of practice after being placed on Jacksonville's COVID-19/reserve list, and he was once again out on Tuesday with a non-COVID related illness. There's no reason for fantasy players to get aggressive in pursuing Armstead or Ozigbo in drafts. We can't expect either back to get consistent opportunity with the Jags likely facing a season of negative game script and Chris Thompson dominating backfield targets. Both Ozigbo and Armstead should still be drafted in 12-team leagues with deeper benches. 

RELATED: 

Ryquell Armstead

SOURCE: John Shipley on Twitter 

Sep 1, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

Jaguars beat writer John Shipley said RB Ryquell Armstead's absence from practice could mean RB Devine Ozigbo "could get some decent Week 1 run." 

Armstead missed nearly three weeks of practice after being placed on Jacksonville's COVID-19/reserve list, and he was once again out on Tuesday with a non-COVID related illness. There's no reason for fantasy players to get aggressive in pursuing Armstead or Ozigbo in drafts. We can't expect either back to get consistent opportunity with the Jags likely facing a season of negative game script and Chris Thompson dominating backfield targets. Both Ozigbo and Armstead should still be drafted in 12-team leagues with deeper benches. 

RELATED: 

Ryquell Armstead

SOURCE: John Shipley on Twitter 

Sep 1, 2020, 11:25 AM ET
In an SI article about this, it also noted that Armstead "has not practiced in the last several days" including missing Saturday's scrimmage.

Per Doug Marrone: "I think we have a lot of options of, like when you say RB1, depending on who we're playing and what we want to do, who we put out there. For Rock [RB Ryquell Armstead], Rock has been out, so I really don't have a complete evaluation on him which is tough..."

• I'm not convinced.  Watched his college highlights and he was ok but pretty average for an NFL prospect. I didn't see anything that made me go "wow." If Armstead doesn't get healthy or doesn't deliver, I could see Ozigbo possibly putting up some ok fantasy numbers but I don't see him running away with this and I don't see him being a long term answer. 

• I'm not convinced.  Watched his college highlights and he was ok but pretty average for an NFL prospect. I didn't see anything that made me go "wow." If Armstead doesn't get healthy or doesn't deliver, I could see Ozigbo possibly putting up some ok fantasy numbers but I don't see him running away with this and I don't see him being a long term answer. 
Last year I remembered being unimpressed; but earlier today went back and watched some of his Nebraska games for good measure. He's not very quick or fast, but he has some elusiveness. I'd compare him to something like David Montgomery without all the dancing. I'd still say best case he's a one year place-holder for the Jags before bringing in one of the FAs or draft somebody else next year.

Yeah, I doubt he's a long term answer but there's potential for some useable production this season if things go his way.

DEVINE OZIGBO RB, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said RBs Devine Ozigbo and James Robinson can play all three downs.

This nod of approval likely ensures UDFA Robinson a spot on Jacksonville's 53-man roster. It's certainly a positive for Ozigbo, who is expected to receive "decent run" in Week 1 against the Colts since Ryquell Armstead missed a large portion of camp on the team's COVID-19 list. Ozigo is the long-term bet to lead the Jaguars in carries, but Chris Thompson remains the pick to stick around given the inevitable number of negative game scripts the offense will face as early as the season opener.

RELATED: 

James Robinson

SOURCE: Eugene Frenette on Twitter

Sep 3, 2020, 9:25 AM ET

Long Ball Larry said:
@FBG Moderator

any chance of changing thread title to say Jags?  OP hasn't been here since February.
@Joe Bryant - Can we do something similar to what we did with the Jordan Howard thread where the team is dropped from the title to make it more generic? The OP is MIA and hasn’t made an appearance since February.

Users who are viewing this thread