Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Just Win Baby

*** Official 2019 Chargers Thread ****

Recommended Posts

Hunter Henry has a fractured knee, and Trevor Williams to IR...

:wall:

Just 1 week in, it's already time to start keeping a running list:

  1. Expected RCB Williams expected to miss entire season
  2. LT Okung expected to miss at least 7 games due to pulmonary embolism; could miss entire season
  3. SS James expected to miss at least 10 games due to fractured bone in his foot
  4. TE Henry expected to miss 4-6 games due to fractured knee

This is a rough start to the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Big Blue Wrecking Crew said:

So tell me about Virgil Green...

Look at Green's numbers last season when Henry was out all season. That's your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Chargers got pretty lucky to win in week 1:

  1. Vinatieri missed 2 FGs in an OT game (he also missed an extra point, but they covered that by converting a 2 point conversion). He had never before missed 3 kicks in a game.
  2. Ebron caught a TD that was ruled out of bounds and seemingly could have gone the other way.
  3. The Chargers kicked a FG on their first drive, but the Colts committed a personal foul on the play, leading to the Chargers' first TD.
  4. Rivers was stripped twice on blind side sacks, and the Chargers recovered both fumbles.
  5. Up 24-16 with under 9 minutes remaining, Rivers threw an interception in the end zone. It was an amazing play by Hooker, but arguably a dumb play by Rivers and/or play call... a FG there puts them up 11 points and comes close to clinching the game. Should have been more conservative on that play call/execution.

A win is a win, I'll take it. But it is a bit worrisome that it was that difficult to put the Colts away after the sudden Luck retirement.

Now it looks like the Chargers will enter week 2 down 5 key players (LT Okung, TE Henry, RCB Davis, RCB Williams, RB Gordon) and with 7 others questionable (WR Williams, WR Davis, DE Rochell, LB Perryman,  LB Brown, S Teamer, PK Badgley). This is going to be a tough road game with all of these injury issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit wins a close hard fought game today 24-21

Not rooting against San Diego but I didn't think they looked all that great last week and were somewhat lucky to win at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an ugly game....bad penalties, poor decision making, and Travis Benjamin needs to be cut

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DanFouts said:

What an ugly game....bad penalties, poor decision making, and Travis Benjamin needs to be cut

Yeah, it'd be nice to have Tyrell Williams right about now.

They had a shot, but turning it over twice in/close to the red zone isn't going to pay the bills.

Edited by Gr00vus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anything wrong with Rivers entering Week 4? Keenan Allen ok? Ekeler?

Just trying to understand how San Diego is only favored -17 vs Miami

Miami's best so far is a 10-6 showing on the road in Dallas this past week in the 1st half. 2nd half? 21-0!

59-10, 43-0, 31-6...they've scored 16 points in 3 weeks...how can they stay within 17?

Bet the Bolts!!! 

Edited by Ministry of Pain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Is there anything wrong with Rivers entering Week 4? Keenan Allen ok? Ekeler?

Just trying to understand how San Diego is only favored -17 vs Miami

Miami's best so far is a 10-6 showing on the road in Dallas this past week in the 1st half. 2nd half? 21-0!

59-10, 43-0, 31-6...they've scored 16 points in 3 weeks...how can they stay within 17?

Bet the Bolts!!! 

Possibly because:

  1. The Chargers are 0-3 in Rivers' career at MIA and 1-4 vs. MIA overall since 2013.
  2. The Chargers don't often play well in games that kickoff at 1 pm EST, since they have to fly cross country and kickoff is at 10 am for their body clocks.
  3. The Chargers are currently missing a huge number of important players:
    1. Starting Pro Bowl LT
    2. Starting All Pro SS and his primary backup
    3. Starting CB2 and his backup
    4. Starting Pro Bowl-caliber TE and his primary backup (if Green's injury lingers)
    5. Starting Pro Bowl RB
    6. Starting PK

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

Possibly because:

  1. The Chargers are 0-3 in Rivers' career at MIA and 1-4 vs. MIA overall since 2013.
  2. The Chargers don't often play well in games that kickoff at 1 pm EST, since they have to fly cross country and kickoff is at 10 am for their body clocks.
  3. The Chargers are currently missing a huge number of important players:
    1. Starting Pro Bowl LT
    2. Starting All Pro SS and his primary backup
    3. Starting CB2 and his backup
    4. Starting Pro Bowl-caliber TE and his primary backup (if Green's injury lingers)
    5. Starting Pro Bowl RB
    6. Starting PK

 

I don't really bet on football, but if I did I would take Miami and the points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this rate the Chargers will need to coax Vincent Jackson and Billy Rae Smith out of retirement to be able to field a roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive my ignorance - who is the expected field goal kicker for the Chargers this weekend? I had to pick up someone in FBG tonight and went with Ty Long. The projection now shows him for 0.0 pts - did I miss something? He had good stats but is he the punter? I am thinking I need to spend a few more BB$ and get a new kicker Friday but thought someone could enlighten me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 12:15 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

Detroit wins a close hard fought game today 24-21

Not rooting against San Diego but I didn't think they looked all that great last week and were somewhat lucky to win at home. 

 

On 9/23/2019 at 2:48 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

Is there anything wrong with Rivers entering Week 4? Keenan Allen ok? Ekeler?

Just trying to understand how San Diego is only favored -17 vs Miami

Miami's best so far is a 10-6 showing on the road in Dallas this past week in the 1st half. 2nd half? 21-0!

59-10, 43-0, 31-6...they've scored 16 points in 3 weeks...how can they stay within 17?

Bet the Bolts!!! 

Should I go for the Trifecta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Forgive my ignorance - who is the expected field goal kicker for the Chargers this weekend? I had to pick up someone in FBG tonight and went with Ty Long. The projection now shows him for 0.0 pts - did I miss something? He had good stats but is he the punter? I am thinking I need to spend a few more BB$ and get a new kicker Friday but thought someone could enlighten me. 

They signed Chase McLaughlin this week.  Expecting him to kick if Badgley can’t.  Long back to full-time punter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roster status after 4 games:

  1. LT1 Okung has not played, is on the NFI list, and may miss the entire season
  2. SS1 James is on IR as is his backup, SS2 Phillips
  3. CB2/3 Williams is on IR and the other CB2/3 Davis missed the first 3 games; fortunately he returned in game 4 and looked good
  4. WRs Inman, Cantrell, and Scott are all on IR; WR2 Williams has played 3 games, missing game 4, but has not been 100% in any; WR3 Benjamin also missed game 4
  5. TE1 Henry missed games 2-4 and will likely miss at least 3 more; TE2 Green missed game 4, and TE3 Culkin just went on IR this week after getting hurt in game 4
  6. RB3 Jackson missed game 4 and is expected to miss several more games; RB1 Gordon has yet to play
  7. DE Ingram missed almost all of game 4 after a hamstring injury and is expected to miss at least 2 more
  8. PK Badgley has missed every game so far; not sure when he will return, but the team just signed another PK this week, so that implies it will be a while

James, Henry, and Ingram are all expected to return at some point, and Gordon should start to get worked into the offense this week.

Okung is the one that will have the most significant effect on the season. If he were to return, it would be a huge boost to the offense. But I'm expecting he will miss the entire season.

Are there any other teams experiencing injuries like this?

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 11:37 AM, Gr00vus said:

This season feels familiar somehow. And I don't think that's a good thing.

I could swear I've seen this exact same season before. I think it ends either with a rousing 2nd half record that gets them to like 9-7 and just missing the playoffs or maybe gets them all the way to a first round exit.

I know it'll never happen, but if I were GM I'd be seeing if there were any takers for Rivers now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gr00vus said:

I know it'll never happen, but if I were GM I'd be seeing if there were any takers for Rivers now.

Rivers has a no trade clause, and I feel pretty certain that he would not waive it to go somewhere else, even if it was to a championship caliber team that was just lacking a QB (and I don't think there are any of those anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

Rivers has a no trade clause, and I feel pretty certain that he would not waive it to go somewhere else, even if it was to a championship caliber team that was just lacking a QB (and I don't think there are any of those anyway).

I think the Rams would be better with him than Goff. Appreciably. Didn't know about the no trade clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

Rivers has a no trade clause, and I feel pretty certain that he would not waive it to go somewhere else, even if it was to a championship caliber team that was just lacking a QB (and I don't think there are any of those anyway).

Maybe San Diego. LoL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wrap my head around Ownership

-Let's move to Los Angeles into an incubator size stadium that seats 30,000 and fill it up with the opposing team's fans. 

-Fans defend the Owners at every turn in here and they simply are a joke. Whatever they needed to do in San Diego to stay there, it started 30-40 years ago, they slowly allowed things to creep up and oh just forget it...

It was painful watching Rivers want to get physical last night. I always respected the Chargers as a kid, I'll never forget the Epic in Miami Game in '81, something so unsettling to see what should have been a win vs Pittsburgh and just allow that to happen. 

Pittsburgh 6 San Diego 0 and I guess that's about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Fans defend the Owners at every turn in here and they simply are a joke.

I don’t know a single Chargers fan who likes, supports, or defends Spanos. So this take seems completely off base in this thread. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Fans defend the Owners at every turn in here

I think maybe your definitions of "Fans," "defend," "every turn," and "in here" need reconsideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I can't wrap my head around Ownership

-Let's move to Los Angeles into an incubator size stadium that seats 30,000 and fill it up with the opposing team's fans. 

-Fans defend the Owners at every turn in here and they simply are a joke. Whatever they needed to do in San Diego to stay there, it started 30-40 years ago, they slowly allowed things to creep up and oh just forget it...

It was painful watching Rivers want to get physical last night. I always respected the Chargers as a kid, I'll never forget the Epic in Miami Game in '81, something so unsettling to see what should have been a win vs Pittsburgh and just allow that to happen. 

Pittsburgh 6 San Diego 0 and I guess that's about it. 

@Ministry of Pain

no charger fan likes this ownership at all... they are a team without a home and it hurts them badly when a marquee franchise comes to town its 60% filled with the opposing fans.

sucks.....the product on the field is awful they have been snake but by injuries and rivers is near the end.....yeah?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

@Ministry of Pain

no charger fan likes this ownership at all... they are a team without a home and it hurts them badly when a marquee franchise comes to town its 60% filled with the opposing fans.

sucks.....the product on the field is awful they have been snake but by injuries and rivers is near the end.....yeah?

I understand, Rivers reminds a little of Marino's career in ways. I think Philip has/had the tools to win a Super Bowl, just somehow doesn't happen. Lot of respect for him and his family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

they are going to lose to duck Hodges and ryan tannehill in back to back weeks

I don't know about that, its not like the Titans aren't having every bit as many problems as the Chargers are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-5, not even a factor in the Wildcard race. 

They need to figure out what to do after Pouncey and rebuild their OL which is not working and has suffered terrible injuries but so have a lot of teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I wonder why I still like this team...when Rivers retires, it's gonna be hard...and I followed them in the BJ Tolliver years.....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coaching staff's stubborn insistence on forcing Gordon cost them the game. Will they learn anything from it? I seriously doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

The coaching staff's stubborn insistence on forcing Gordon cost them the game. Will they learn anything from it? I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I was wondering how much longer Lynn will be around before this game. This staff, even with the injuries, really seems to not be getting the most out of its personnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we're nearing the halfway point. The only teams in the AFC doing worse than the Chargers are the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals. As much as we hate to consider it, we all know that Rivers is turning 38 in a month-and-a-half and won't be around much longer. We've also seen the Chargers get into this spot before, only to muster just a good enough of a season to avoid a premiere draft pick. Is it time to see what Taylor can bring to this offense or see if Stick has any real potential to give the front office a better handle on how to prioritize replacing Rivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Despyzer said:

So we're nearing the halfway point. The only teams in the AFC doing worse than the Chargers are the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals. As much as we hate to consider it, we all know that Rivers is turning 38 in a month-and-a-half and won't be around much longer. We've also seen the Chargers get into this spot before, only to muster just a good enough of a season to avoid a premiere draft pick. Is it time to see what Taylor can bring to this offense or see if Stick has any real potential to give the front office a better handle on how to prioritize replacing Rivers?

I have a question

-What has Rivers done to show his game is falling off? I feel like you give this man an OL built to pass protect and outfit him with a WR1, TE, Solid running game, possession type WR2/3 and he has some of this already...management put this together and there is real talent here.

Leaves the blame on the coaching staff...other teams sustain major losses like the Colts losing a HoF level QB and they are on top of their division. 

Bad year to under perform with the Chiefs hobbling and Raiders are not built to win a division title this year...woulda been a perfect season for the Bolts ot make a strong run or push. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I have a question

-What has Rivers done to show his game is falling off?

I never said that his game was falling off. Rivers has always had a tendency to throw an ill-timed and ill-fated interception, so this year isn't remarkably different in that respect. He doesn't normally throw almost an interception a game, but like you, I largely chalk that up to playing behind on offensive line that would be pretty poor even if they were all healthy.

What I indicated is that the end is in sight for Rivers' career. The last two or three weeks I have heard some speculate that Rivers may elect to hang them up after this season. Regardless of whether that suspicion is based on fact or not, the Chargers need to plan for a post-Rivers world or end up mired in the Mark Malone/Babe Laufenberg/Mark Vlasic/Jim McMahon/Bllie Joe Tolliver/John Friesz era all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Despyzer said:

I never said that his game was falling off. Rivers has always had a tendency to throw an ill-timed and ill-fated interception, so this year isn't remarkably different in that respect. He doesn't normally throw almost an interception a game, but like you, I largely chalk that up to playing behind on offensive line that would be pretty poor even if they were all healthy.

What I indicated is that the end is in sight for Rivers' career. The last two or three weeks I have heard some speculate that Rivers may elect to hang them up after this season. Regardless of whether that suspicion is based on fact or not, the Chargers need to plan for a post-Rivers world or end up mired in the Mark Malone/Babe Laufenberg/Mark Vlasic/Jim McMahon/Bllie Joe Tolliver/John Friesz era all over again.

With QBs now playing into their 40s, I still see Rivers going as long as they will allow it. 

If I were the GM tomorrow, I likely wouldn't trade Rivers although i might call Chicago just to tease them and see what I could get. 

-I would rebuild the OL quickly and if you have to corner a couple rookies that have big upside then do so. They have a weapon at QB, RB, WR and TE, they have at least one at every skill position, this would instantly make the great players they have BETTER and they could sustain long drives and not need more than an opportunistic defense vs a shut down defense. 

Just my opinion but I don't think the Chargers are done trying to make a run with Rivers, 2-3 more years and if that requires a new coach so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

With QBs now playing into their 40s, I still see Rivers going as long as they will allow it. 

You make it sound as if this is a thing. The number of quarterbacks who have started a game in their 40's throughout history is actually quite small (15). Currently, there's only one. Rivers was drafted the same years as Eli and Big Ben. Eli has likely seen his last game as a starter, and Big Ben many never be the same guy again.

As I indicated in my first post in this thread, it's not a reality that Chargers fans wish to face, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Edit to add: Speaking of those guys who started games at quarterback in their 40's, only a third of them have winning records at that age. Two of them are Matt Hasselback (5-3) who wasn't pressed into service in his 40's because he was setting the world on fire and Brett Favre (13-12). Brady, Sonny Jurgenson, and Charlie Conerly are the other three.

Edited by Despyzer
Add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Despyzer said:

You make it sound as if this is a thing. The number of quarterbacks who have started a game in their 40's throughout history is actually quite small (15). Currently, there's only one. Rivers was drafted the same years as Eli and Big Ben. Eli has likely seen his last game as a starter, and Big Ben many never be the same guy again.

As I indicated in my first post in this thread, it's not a reality that Chargers fans wish to face, but wishing doesn't make it so.

"As long as they will allow it" 

You can insert whoever or whatever you want, mother nature, father time, unforeseen injury, level of play...I'm saying as long as he can move as good as he does now and can make the throws he makes now...2-3 more good years I'm guessing. And since the team has a lot of talent at the skill positions although they could always use another 6 foot 5 WR, they would be wise to assimilate an OL that can keep him upright. Chargers presently have 2.5 pretty good RBs, certainly 2 they like going into 2020, so fill up on OL and be able to have a decent reserve unit behind the starters not JAG who makes league minimum, invest some resources. 

I'm understanding but as an NFL fan this really bites watching Rivers languish another year in Los Angeles. I had this team penciled in for 10-11 wins and at least a Wildcard shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

"As long as they will allow it" 

You can insert whoever or whatever you want, mother nature, father time, unforeseen injury, level of play...I'm saying as long as he can move as good as he does now and can make the throws he makes now...2-3 more good years I'm guessing.

Sure, and if Ron Mix, Lance Alworth, and LaDainian Tomlinson were all playing at the top of their games, we'd be happy to have them suit up also. You fought pretty hard to make this very obvious point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They definitely need to be planning on spending speculative 2nd and/or 3rd round picks on a QB of the future to see if they can luck out with a Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garappolo, etc. There are no guarantees you become that successful with those, but the guys they have behind Rivers now probably aren't going to cut it.

As always, they need to address the lines, and their training staff.

@Ministry of Pain - they've been playing the "rebuild the OL quickly" game for years now, with average to bad results. They need to commit some major draft capital in improving the line, assuming they have talent scouts who can actually assess who is worth drafting.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.