What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Sean Payton disliked so much? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Only thing I'm aware of is the choke gesture and the frequent smirk.  I remember when rooting for the Saints was a good thing.

The bounty thing that arguably ended Kurt Warner's career, and Favre to a lesser extent, as he never really recovered.

Objectively he's a successful coach. You tack on Bountygate as well as a general sense of smugness in-game and constantly begging the refs for calls, and it becomes quite simple to dislike him as an opposing fan.

I don't know. Because he has Brees and he can't produce like Belicheck? He certainly does too much stupid #### for a guy that is able to put big points on the board. He tries to be way to tricky when he doesn't need to.

I mean you put Brees with Belicheck and Brady with Payton and I call it even. He should be better than his record is.

Why do people hate McDaniels? Colts fans should love him, him backing out got them a better coach.
Colts situation asside, his lack of confidence to test the head coaching waters probably because of his Denver failure and seemingly needing the Foxboro shelter probably isn't looked at favorably by some.  It would be humerous if Belichick coaches another 10 years or they hire someone else when BB retires.

Disliked?  I love Payton. Wish he coached the Lions.  Plus in interviews he seems like a good guy. (not counting yesterday)

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the time that the NFL suspended Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely, and Head coach Sean "butthole mouth" Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season?

That time?
Saints fans love to pretend they were penalized for no reason. Very similar to Patriots fans who believe the same. It's hilarious.

Isn't hate a bit strong for anyone you do'nt even know?

I never hate  sports figures, here it's lightweight emotions like like/dislike not love/hate.

I don't hate Payton or McDaniels but I do believe some do hate both and many dislike both.
Anyone taking sports that serious,  why?

Hate...is a very strong emotion and a person really does need to reserve that negative emotion for as few as possible.

A football coach you really don't know.....nay~~~

Hate is a strong word, but I think a lot of people do not care for Payton because he is too arrogant, which is demonstrated in his play calling every week.  Can you imagine the Patriots putting plays in every week for someone else to line up at QB and throw the ball instead of Tom Brady?  Nope. But Payton not only did it all season, but he called that play on a critical 3rd down yesterday.  It's pure arrogance, like, "I can call whatever I want and it will work because I am a genius play caller."  I am convinced that Payton doesn't want to just win, but win his way.  A smart coach would have ran the ball three times at the end yesterday,  making the Rams use their last two timeouts, and made a chip shot FG with under a minute to go and made the Rams go 40+ yards in 40 seconds with no timeouts to tie the game, but nope, Payton wants to look like a genius, so he called two pass plays.  That kind of arrogance is a turnoff to many.  

McDaniels is just a smug #######. I mean Tim Tebow is his legacy.
McDaniels did some good in Denver. He was out on Cutler before anyone else was, and got 2 1st rounders and for him, one of which turned into Demaryius Thomas, who was a major part of 2 Super Bowl teams. He got a monster season out of Brandon Lloyd of all people. He certainly wasn't a successful coach, but he was hardly incompetent. 

He comes across as arrogant. When he first started with the Saints he came across to me as a Bill Parcells starter kit. The Parcells influence on his mannerisms and general coaching persona has always been one I felt was super strong, and Parcells always came across as arrogant.

He also has had a few times he seems inclined to run the score up.

I don't hate him at all myself.

Hate...is a very strong emotion and a person really does need to reserve that negative emotion for as few as possible.

Hate is probably the wrong word choice.

You mean the time that the NFL suspended Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely, and Head coach Sean "butthole mouth" Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season?

That time?
You guys love to remind everyone that you're the saltiest fanbase and can't handle losing.

I don't know. Because he has Brees and he can't produce like Belicheck? He certainly does too much stupid #### for a guy that is able to put big points on the board. He tries to be way to tricky when he doesn't need to.
Like for example pulling Drew Brees out of a game so Taysom Hill can run for 2 yards? 

When I use "hate" when talking sports, it's limited to just that (sports) - which makes it lose it's true venom.

If I say I hate Tom Brady, I'm just hoping he loses a game by throwing an interception at he end, I'm surely not wishing that he gets hit by a bus when he leaves the stadium.

When I use "hate" when talking sports, it's limited to just that (sports) - which makes it lose it's true venom.

If I say I hate Tom Brady, I'm just hoping he loses a game by throwing an interception at he end, I'm surely not wishing that he gets hit by a bus when he leaves the stadium.
Agreed. 

A Prius will do.

Got it~

Like bounty gate, you have zero evidence.  I don't cry about a team losing.
Look, I'm a huge Saints fan, but there was plenty of evidence that Gregg Williams told players to target injured players in their injuries, especially to target players' heads who had concussion histories, and was part of the "hit pool" related to that.  I'm not saying nobody had ever done it before, but it's not going to fly these days.

Diggs!

Sideline!

Touchdown!

Unbelievable!
I've never posted or complained about this.  Rookie mistake by a rookie.  No one expected us to be as good as we were last season.  How did you guys finish the season?  What's that super bowl record again?

Thought this was generally understood without needing to be said.

Thought this generally understood without needing to be said.
When you talk hate for a team/some fans/the SEC etc, sure.

But when you start talking individuals, that is different.

There you sit court side, you hate LeBron, chances are you will be making this clear.

Noted in here before, but Taysom Hill is such a perfect example of why I dislike him. A guy who thinks he so smart, that he does something so dumb, bc he’s so smart. What was with those clear framed stupid looking glasses he was wearing yesterday? Did he wear them to show everyone how smart he was? Maybe I’m reaching, but something about him makes me root against the Saints. 

Guy has a top 10 QB of all-time, a team that is consistently loaded with talent, and always underproduces. Hue Jackson could’ve won one Super Bowl with this team in the Drew Brees years. 

Don’t pull your HOF QB for Taysom Hill under any circumstance, yet alone 5-10 plays every game.

didn't they have slides from team meetings with players names and how much money they made by causing injuries?  I think Cart off was the highest payout if I remember right.

Their was a bunch of shady evidence, what are you talking about?

No evidence? Were you too young to have watched the 2009 NFCCG? I'm not interested in getting into some ####-talking back and forth with you, but the proof was right there on tv for the whole world to see. You think the non-call yesterday was egregious? The refs that day were borderline criminal for what they allowed.

I've never posted or complained about this.  Rookie mistake by a rookie.  No one expected us to be as good as we were last season.  How did you guys finish the season?  What's that super bowl record again?

8-7-1

0-4

Feel better now?

Users who are viewing this thread