Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
prosopis

Need help buying used car

Buying an Acura MDX. 

Is there really an advantage to buying a "Certified Pre-Owned"?

For Acura it extends the powertrain (does anything ever go wrong there anyway?) by a year and non-powertrain by 2 years. 

7 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Buying an Acura MDX. 

For Acura it extends the powertrain (does anything ever go wrong there anyway?) by a year and non-powertrain by 2 years. 

It costs a lot more. I have a used Lexus RX that I bought at Carmax. I spent way too long inspecting every picture once I figured out the colors and options I wanted, but the price (2 years old with 19k miles) was way, way less than the CPO from Lexus. I mean like 5k+. I opted out from getting an extended warranty anyway since there was so much left on the manufacturer warranty but that said the CPO was only up to 100k, so it really doesn’t add much for a car I’d expect to last way longer.

Buy a well documented and maintained used Toyota. 

Buy a Porsche 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Buying an Acura MDX. 

Not really. It’s a sales gimmick

find a private party at a good price, get it inspected by a reputable mechanic. Done 

On 6/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

Buying an Acura MDX. 

I just bought a CPO 2018 Honda Pilot Touring w/16k miles on it.  Now, mine was CPO'd by the dealership not Honda.  So, in my case, honestly I had been shopping for a few months now and I kind of stopped paying attention to CPO'd or not and focused on the vehicle I wanted, under a certain mileage number under a certain price.  So, in my case, I wanted the newest Pilot, MDX or Highlander in the best condition, lowest miles for under $35k and I really didn't care if it was CPO'd or not but I thought it was a nice bonus that mine was.  My Pilot had a dealership asking price of $36k, I negotiated over the internet for $33k, I think it was a fair price, not horrible, not great but I was okay with it.

In my particular case the dealership CPO came with the extra 2 year warranty, a full Honda vehicle pre-purchase inspection, synthetic oil and oil filter change, new air filter, new rear differential fluid, new cabin air filter, new wiper inserts, tires balanced and rotated, carfax printout + guarantee, 3 months of Sirius (still haven't activated it) and a printout of all the work performed with a total of $525 and change.  

I don't know what year and trim level of MDX you're looking for but I'll say this about the CPO deal and I'll use my Pilot as an example.  If I found two exact 2018 Honda Pilot Tourings, same color, same mileage, same condition and one was dealership CPO'd and one was not dealership CPO'd, if the dealership CPO'd one was $500 or less more, I'd buy the CPO'd one only because I think it's $500-$600 worth of work in my case, hell I have proof of it but if it was $1,000 or more, I wouldn't pay for the extra for it, I'd just get the work done on my own and save the $500.

There used to be such a thing as a manufacturer's CPO where in that case they would perform a whole list of things (like the list mine came with) plus new brake pads (I think?) and new tires (I think) - I'm going from old man memory - but I would pay an extra $1,500 for that only b/c I've shopped my tires and they're at least $800 and a brake job is usually $300-$500 depending.

Just my 2 cents - happy shopping - hope that helps!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I ended up buying a CPO MDX because all the ones I was looking at were actually more without the CPO. 

I got a great deal, I think. 2017 with 33k miles, new tires, & new brakes for $30,799. My trusted garage guy said it's nearly a brand new car. Black copper pearl exterior with espresso interior. Was $51k brand new, SMH.

It's for my wife to replace her mom van we don't need now that our kids are grown. She likes it so I like it. It's a really nice ride.

Edited by Andy Dufresne
  • Like 1