What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help buying used car (2 Viewers)

Buying an Acura MDX. 

Is there really an advantage to buying a "Certified Pre-Owned"?

For Acura it extends the powertrain (does anything ever go wrong there anyway?) by a year and non-powertrain by 2 years. 

Andy Dufresne said:
Buying an Acura MDX. 

For Acura it extends the powertrain (does anything ever go wrong there anyway?) by a year and non-powertrain by 2 years. 
It costs a lot more. I have a used Lexus RX that I bought at Carmax. I spent way too long inspecting every picture once I figured out the colors and options I wanted, but the price (2 years old with 19k miles) was way, way less than the CPO from Lexus. I mean like 5k+. I opted out from getting an extended warranty anyway since there was so much left on the manufacturer warranty but that said the CPO was only up to 100k, so it really doesn’t add much for a car I’d expect to last way longer.

Andy Dufresne said:
Buying an Acura MDX. 

Not really. It’s a sales gimmick

find a private party at a good price, get it inspected by a reputable mechanic. Done 

Andy Dufresne said:
Buying an Acura MDX. 

I just bought a CPO 2018 Honda Pilot Touring w/16k miles on it.  Now, mine was CPO'd by the dealership not Honda.  So, in my case, honestly I had been shopping for a few months now and I kind of stopped paying attention to CPO'd or not and focused on the vehicle I wanted, under a certain mileage number under a certain price.  So, in my case, I wanted the newest Pilot, MDX or Highlander in the best condition, lowest miles for under $35k and I really didn't care if it was CPO'd or not but I thought it was a nice bonus that mine was.  My Pilot had a dealership asking price of $36k, I negotiated over the internet for $33k, I think it was a fair price, not horrible, not great but I was okay with it.

In my particular case the dealership CPO came with the extra 2 year warranty, a full Honda vehicle pre-purchase inspection, synthetic oil and oil filter change, new air filter, new rear differential fluid, new cabin air filter, new wiper inserts, tires balanced and rotated, carfax printout + guarantee, 3 months of Sirius (still haven't activated it) and a printout of all the work performed with a total of $525 and change.  

I don't know what year and trim level of MDX you're looking for but I'll say this about the CPO deal and I'll use my Pilot as an example.  If I found two exact 2018 Honda Pilot Tourings, same color, same mileage, same condition and one was dealership CPO'd and one was not dealership CPO'd, if the dealership CPO'd one was $500 or less more, I'd buy the CPO'd one only because I think it's $500-$600 worth of work in my case, hell I have proof of it but if it was $1,000 or more, I wouldn't pay for the extra for it, I'd just get the work done on my own and save the $500.

There used to be such a thing as a manufacturer's CPO where in that case they would perform a whole list of things (like the list mine came with) plus new brake pads (I think?) and new tires (I think) - I'm going from old man memory - but I would pay an extra $1,500 for that only b/c I've shopped my tires and they're at least $800 and a brake job is usually $300-$500 depending.

Just my 2 cents - happy shopping - hope that helps!

I ended up buying a CPO MDX because all the ones I was looking at were actually more without the CPO. 

I got a great deal, I think. 2017 with 33k miles, new tires, & new brakes for $30,799. My trusted garage guy said it's nearly a brand new car. Black copper pearl exterior with espresso interior. Was $51k brand new, SMH.

It's for my wife to replace her mom van we don't need now that our kids are grown. She likes it so I like it. It's a really nice ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up buying a CPO MDX because all the ones I was looking at were actually more without the CPO. 

I got a great deal, I think. 2017 with 33k miles, new tires, & new brakes for $30,799. My trusted garage guy said it's nearly a brand new car. Black copper pearl exterior with espresso interior. Was $51k brand new, SMH.

It's for my wife to replace her mom van we don't need now that our kids are grown. She likes it so I like it. It's a really nice ride.
Nice. I’m into Toyota’s more so than Honda’s but both are in a class by themselves when it comes to value in a vehicle. Stay on maintenance and you can’t go wrong with the investment 

I've been going through this process as well. There were some really good deals several weeks ago. Not so much now. The used car market has been really strong, especially trucks and SUVs. 

The site I have been using the most is Carfax, both to search for used cars and check VINs. Like a few others have mentioned, it seems like the vast majority of listings on any of these sites are by dealers. 

I'm seeing more grey market listings too that don't disclose the fact that the vehicle was imported from Canada. There is nothing wrong with this and you'll get a better deal, but typically any remaining factory warranty is voided and you never really know if they accurately switched the odometer from km to miles. 

I've been going through this process as well. There were some really good deals several weeks ago. Not so much now. The used car market has been really strong, especially trucks and SUVs. 

The site I have been using the most is Carfax, both to search for used cars and check VINs. Like a few others have mentioned, it seems like the vast majority of listings on any of these sites are by dealers. 

I'm seeing more grey market listings too that don't disclose the fact that the vehicle was imported from Canada. There is nothing wrong with this and you'll get a better deal, but typically any remaining factory warranty is voided and you never really know if they accurately switched the odometer from km to miles. 
If you are looking into a used Toyota as I was a few years back, a Tundra specifically, there is a Toyota owners portal that records all service and repairs done on a vehicle by a dealership from the day it left the lot.

For me, there were two major repairs that Tundras typically needed, whether the frame was addressed and a air pump issue in the engine. Both were recalls and both needed done on a used Tundra before I’d consider it. Neither would be shown in detail on a Carfax. I could see for myself whether the frame was replaced but often I was looking at vehicles that were a substantial distance away and it removed that major question before making the trip. 

Buy a well documented and maintained used Toyota. 
My Fords have had fewer problems, lasted longer  and didn't rust out like the Toyota. Currently own a 2017 Escape that has had no issues and a Ford Mustang with 144,000 miles that had only one repair that was less than a $100. 

My Fords have had fewer problems, lasted longer  and didn't rust out like the Toyota. Currently own a 2017 Escape that has had no issues and a Ford Mustang with 144,000 miles that had only one repair that was less than a $100. 
Yes had both Ford and Toyota that lasted well over 150k. The main issues I had with Ford and all big 3 in general were paint quality and interior quality. Over time, they really didn't hold up as well. But the Ford engines and drivertrains were rock solid. I can't say the same for Dodge/Chrysler or GM and honestly would never buy or lease any of their brands again.

If you are looking into a used Toyota as I was a few years back, a Tundra specifically, there is a Toyota owners portal that records all service and repairs done on a vehicle by a dealership from the day it left the lot.

For me, there were two major repairs that Tundras typically needed, whether the frame was addressed and a air pump issue in the engine. Both were recalls and both needed done on a used Tundra before I’d consider it. Neither would be shown in detail on a Carfax. I could see for myself whether the frame was replaced but often I was looking at vehicles that were a substantial distance away and it removed that major question before making the trip. 
Thanks I'm looking at SUVs with decent cargo space. Mainly since like a lot of others, I expect to fly a lot less now but will still need to travel at times for work for extended stays and take a lot of gear with me. I've settled on a few different models with at least 75 cubic feet of storage with all seats folded flat. I really like the Mercedes GLE and wanted to go luxury with utility, but I also keep coming back to the 4Runner even though that platform is ancient and it gets terrible MPG. Because I love Toyota and that brand has never let me down. I looked at the Highlander too but I didn't really like it. And I can't get past the front spindle grill on the Lexus SUVs. I know they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd but the design is universally hated by all age groups, yet they keep doubling down on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

This is an awesome vehicle. We love it.

Thanks I'm looking at SUVs with decent cargo space. Mainly since like a lot of others, I expect to fly a lot less now but will still need to travel at times for work for extended stays and take a lot of gear with me. I've settled on a few different models with at least 75 cubic feet of storage with all seats folded flat. I really like the Mercedes GLE and wanted to go luxury with utility, but I also keep coming back to the Forerunner even though that platform is ancient and it gets terrible MPG. Because I love Toyota and that brand has never let me down. I looked at the Highlander too but I didn't really like it. And I can't get past the front spindle grill on the Lexus SUVs. I know they are trying to appeal to a younger crowd but the design is universally hated by all age groups, yet they keep doubling down on it. 
Don’t disagree on the look of the Lexus SUVs. We own a ‘16 4Runner, only car I’ve purchased new and it’s primarily because we were looking at ‘14’s with 35-40k on them and at the time, in February of ‘17, they wanted $30k for the ‘14’s and $36 for the leftover ‘16. No brainer. I immediately swapped out the pizza cutters for an aftermarket wheel tire setup that sits with a more aggressive stance. Made a huge difference in the look and after selling the new stock tires and rims I was out $300. 

The ROA with Toyota is unmatched. It’s literally the only vehicle brand I will drive. I bought my last Tundra, a 5sp 3.4L 4x4 ‘03 with 165k for $6k, beat the snot out of it for 7 years, sold it for $2k with maybe $5k worth of upkeep including tires, brakes, and a steering rack. Transitioned into a pristine lifted and loaded ‘07 Limited with a new frame about 1.5 year ago. The design is timeless and the 5.7 rips. Love the thing.  I have a buddy with a ‘11 Tundra with 468k and the only thing he’s done to it outside of regular maintenance is a rear main seal about a year ago. That’s insane. Best wishes on your decision 

Don’t disagree on the look of the Lexus SUVs. We own a ‘16 4Runner, only car I’ve purchased new and it’s primarily because we were looking at ‘14’s with 35-40k on them and at the time, in February of ‘17, they wanted $30k for the ‘14’s and $36 for the leftover ‘16. No brainer. I immediately swapped out the pizza cutters for an aftermarket wheel tire setup that sits with a more aggressive stance. Made a huge difference in the look and after selling the new stock tires and rims I was out $300. 

The ROA with Toyota is unmatched. It’s literally the only vehicle brand I will drive. I bought my last Tundra, a 5sp 3.4L 4x4 ‘03 with 165k for $6k, beat the snot out of it for 7 years, sold it for $2k with maybe $5k worth of upkeep including tires, brakes, and a steering rack. Transitioned into a pristine lifted and loaded ‘07 Limited with a new frame about 1.5 year ago. The design is timeless and the 5.7 rips. Love the thing.  I have a buddy with a ‘11 Tundra with 468k and the only thing he’s done to it outside of regular maintenance is a rear main seal about a year ago. That’s insane. Best wishes on your decision 
Thanks I am going to check out some '19 4Runners tomorrow.

Kind of a general question. How much profit is built into a low priced used car? In other words, if a car is priced at 10K and the internet price is 9K, what is a realistic price to pay? 

Not much haggling can be done at present. With such low inventories, you're probably going to pay what the internet price says. Otherwise someone else will.

Not much haggling can be done at present. With such low inventories, you're probably going to pay what the internet price says. Otherwise someone else will.
I figured as much. However, this is a mom and pop shop and the car has been on the lot for at least two months.

Users who are viewing this thread