What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need help buying used car (1 Viewer)

DA RAIDERS said:
They were priced very high imho, as well. The car we looked at had some significant cosmetic damage and the no haggling was a joke on that vehicle. 
When I was recently looking, I noticed that the other local dealers’ listing prices were a couple hundred bucks less than what CarMax was listing the same cars for. So, I’m guessing CarMax would have ended up $2-3k higher after you account for the negotiated discount with the other sellers. That’s just my anecdotal observation, but it sounded pretty consistent with CarMax’s pricing generally from what I found online. I don’t think that’s a huge rip off, especially if CarMax has the exact car you are looking for, but I also don’t think there’s much question that you can do better price wise with some legwork. 

DA RAIDERS said:
could be wrong.  as I understood the guy, if financing was going to be used, one had to finance through them, even if you had your own financing in place.  3 days later, they sell/transfer your loan to your financing. 

Done it 2 different ways with them...

-Had my pre approval from my bank ready and that is what got used.  Never went through CarMax 

-Didn’t have a loan approval waiting.  Went through CarMax financing and had 7 days to get my own if I wanted, which I did (through my bank again).  

Was really simple and easy.  Low pressure which is nice.  The pricing is pretty middle of the road and you can find better deals but the large inventory and ease of buying has been worth the small price differences for me.    

wilked said:
It’s not where I would shop either, but relative to other dealers they are on the competitive end of the spectrum. 
I've bought two vehicles at Carmax and used my financing both times and I agree they are very competitive. I never found any used cars at any dealer that were close to what I ended up paying. I got a loaded Sienna and an RX 350 F-sport and it was really hard to find anything in private sales. Both cars worked out well and because I had done my research, I got $2k off the Sienna because they listed it as a Limited and it wasn't. It had all of the upgrades except one thing (the reverse sensors, had the camera). I mentioned that it couldn't be a Limited and they said I was right. I loved the break on the price because I knew that was literally the only option that was different. Also, I did a quick search of the Carmax's near me and they had 28 cars under $10k. They don't have a huge assortment, looked like just under $8k was the cheapest.

Anyway, enough of the story, but I've had really good experiences at Carmax and one thing that worked really well was all the pictures. I looked at every RX 350 that had what I wanted and looked at all the leather, dash, etc. just to see scuff marks and anything really minor. All those cars were identically priced, but I found the most perfect one I could and got that one. It was nice being able to check out all the different SUVs to narrow it down to the one that drove and felt the best and then find the exact one you wanted and have it shipped. I was really pleased with the results. Heck, my Sienna was competitively priced such that I bought it for $25k with high 20k miles, drove it for 100k miles in 5+ years and sold it myself for $11k. Not a bad cost of ownership for a car we really put through the works with 3 kids.

We went to CarMax Saturday, pleasant experience. Not overly impressive but I really liked that the salesman didn't really seem to care all that much whether we bought that day, came back later or went elsewhere. No pressure, he answered our questions, took my number and said he'd call in a month - I told him my timeframe was 2-3 months or whenever I found exactly what I wanted at the right price. Ideally it will be a 2018 Camry XSE, predawn gray Mica with gray interior, Moon roof, for under $22 (I'll go $24 if needed, will also consider the xle, might consider Avalon). So he'll keep an eye out.  

Trying to decide whether a hybrid is worthwhile. 

Also trying to decide whether I like the Accord, I don't think I do but need to look into it. I'd also consider an Altima or Maxima, my in laws swear by them (all they drive is Nissan), wife thinks they've had lots of issues with their cars, FIL insists that's not true. 

Yay/nay on Carvana?  Online only, delivery to home, 7 day return?  Seems too good so maybe a little pricier? I haven’t comped anything yet. 

I am looking at a Nissan Versus 2009 with 28,000 miles $9,989.00

When I check Kelly blue book that price is high but Kelly Blue book does not have the option for that low mileage that I can see. They seem to hover around $5,000.00 and 100,000 miles.

Any thoughts on this deal?

I am having more luck finding cars to look at using auto trader then car guru.

I am going to Carmax today to test drive the Nissan Versa 2009 with 28,000 miles on it. I have close to zero intention of buying this car because I feel it is over priced at 9,989.00

I have found better deals on newer cars with less miles to look at on auto trader. I am just curious what will happen at Carmax when I show them what I have found. From what I can tell on line they will not negotiate but I am willing to put that to the test. I have read that you can talk them into throwing in a warranty and or getting them to replace things like tires and belts etc..

So I will see what happens.

I am going to Carmax today to test drive the Nissan Versa 2009 with 28,000 miles on it. I have close to zero intention of buying this car because I feel it is over priced at 9,989.00

I have found better deals on newer cars with less miles to look at on auto trader. I am just curious what will happen at Carmax when I show them what I have found. From what I can tell on line they will not negotiate but I am willing to put that to the test. I have read that you can talk them into throwing in a warranty and or getting them to replace things like tires and belts etc..

Carmax is basically take it or leave it.  If they can't sell to you for that price it will go at auction in a few weeks.

Used truck prices at CarMax arent much cheaper than new, which I assume is a good barometer of the overall used truck market.  
Trucks got insane stupid expensive in 2 years.  Now every truck needs to be trimmed out like a 7-series. As it turns out that costs money.  

Not unreasonable to see a F250 sell for more than 100k.  

This same situation is pushing down to all cars/trucks.  The newer cars are just getting insane pricey.

Trucks got insane stupid expensive in 2 years.  Now every truck needs to be trimmed out like a 7-series. As it turns out that costs money.  

Not unreasonable to see a F250 sell for more than 100k.  

This same situation is pushing down to all cars/trucks.  The newer cars are just getting insane pricey.
That’s why buying a new car is the suckers bet, unless you have disposable income you don’t mind burning. Always best to pick up a year or two old car with 10K or so in mileage.  Let someone else take the depreciation hit. 

I almost always use Craigslist to buy and sell cars. In fact, I just listed my most recent seller, a 2007 Prius with 110,000 miles on it for $4500. I'll post the link below; not sure if that is kosher under board rules. If not, I'll delete it, but just thought I could help a FBG if you're not too far from the Philadelphia area.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6826079067.html

That’s why buying a new car is the suckers bet, unless you have disposable income you don’t mind burning. Always best to pick up a year or two old car with 10K or so in mileage.  Let someone else take the depreciation hit. 
The super-cheap (or frugal) like me buy a car that is five or six years old, drive it for another five or six years and then get whatever is left out of it for cash. Paying anything more than $1000 per year to own a car is wasted money.

I've bought two vehicles at Carmax and used my financing both times and I agree they are very competitive. I never found any used cars at any dealer that were close to what I ended up paying. I got a loaded Sienna and an RX 350 F-sport and it was really hard to find anything in private sales. Both cars worked out well and because I had done my research, I got $2k off the Sienna because they listed it as a Limited and it wasn't. It had all of the upgrades except one thing (the reverse sensors, had the camera). I mentioned that it couldn't be a Limited and they said I was right. I loved the break on the price because I knew that was literally the only option that was different. Also, I did a quick search of the Carmax's near me and they had 28 cars under $10k. They don't have a huge assortment, looked like just under $8k was the cheapest.

Anyway, enough of the story, but I've had really good experiences at Carmax and one thing that worked really well was all the pictures. I looked at every RX 350 that had what I wanted and looked at all the leather, dash, etc. just to see scuff marks and anything really minor. All those cars were identically priced, but I found the most perfect one I could and got that one. It was nice being able to check out all the different SUVs to narrow it down to the one that drove and felt the best and then find the exact one you wanted and have it shipped. I was really pleased with the results. Heck, my Sienna was competitively priced such that I bought it for $25k with high 20k miles, drove it for 100k miles in 5+ years and sold it myself for $11k. Not a bad cost of ownership for a car we really put through the works with 3 kids.
We’ve bought two cars from Carmax and both have been positive experiences. We bought a 97 Tahoe around 2003 and the wife still loves her 2010 Ford Edge as her DD. 

When it comes to used cars I love not haggling and Caax is great for just being able to see their inventory and pricing. Sometimes their pricing seems to be a little all over in compairison to the similar make/model. We basically just waited until we spotted the right mileage/trim package combo at the best price. I think we got a great dea on both vehicles. Oddly enough both the Edge and Tahoe had some scratches on the rear hatch and tailgate respectively. I’m pretty sure the Edge had a dent on the top that I didn’t notice until I washed it. I couldnt care less about those imperfections since they saved me a a few grand. 

When it comes to new cars please do yourself a favor and read that thread. I figured out the make/model/trim package and did everything except sign via text. The key is not to be in any rush to buy and you will eventually get your way. 

I always thought this to be the case too until I tried doing that last year when I was looking for a pickup. For me it made zero sense to buy used because the used cars simply weren’t that much cheaper and had significant miles in relation to their price tags. Again, I wasn’t in a rush and got exactly what I wanted at the price I was comfortable with. 

I always thought this to be the case too until I tried doing that last year when I was looking for a pickup. For me it made zero sense to buy used because the used cars simply weren’t that much cheaper and had significant miles in relation to their price tags. Again, I wasn’t in a rush and got exactly what I wanted at the price I was comfortable with. 
Good point. There are certainly specific cars were this applies too but it’s the small percentage of the marketplace for sure. As a general practice is probably how I should have worded my statement.  

i had the best luck with auto trader, by far.

dkp993 said:
Problem is that isn't working either.  Used car residual continue to climb.  

Private party seems the way to go to me. Maybe you get a warranty from Carmax or a dealership, but it's hard to imagine that a warranty is worth the price difference. 

What's the price difference? 10-15%?

You just take the extra money you didn't spend when you buy it private party, and keep it in the bank. If something breaks, fix it. If it doesn't, you still have the extra cash in your pocket.

Buying for a warranty seems like you're paying for a very expensive repair upfront, even though that repair may not be needed (at least not anytime soon). Also, while I've never dealt with a warranty, I'd assume there's a little hassle involved in dealing with it if something goes wrong (at the very least, you are bringing in a 3rd party for a simple transaction between you and a mechanic). Dealers must make out pretty good on this warranty game, or they wouldn't do it.

Just me, but cash in my pocket seems to make more sense than a warranty. 

Last edited by a moderator:
dkp993 said:
Good point. There are certainly specific cars were this applies too but it’s the small percentage of the marketplace for sure. As a general practice is probably how I should have worded my statement.  
I haven't looked closely, but I'd think it's mostly trucks that are holding their value so well. This world has gone truck crazy. Blows my mind to see so many $50K trucks rolling around with empty beds.

prosopis said:

They would not negotiate on the price so I walked. Sent out more inquiry's to different lots yesterday.

I haven't looked closely, but I'd think it's mostly trucks that are holding their value so well. This world has gone truck crazy. Blows my mind to see so many $50K trucks rolling around with empty beds.
My cousin just pre-ordered the Rivian truck for 1k, refundable.  Supposed to be out by 2020 for 60k.  It's like the Tesla. 

That and when they gets lifts and wheel spacers on trucks that weigh 15k lbs. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I feel the same way.  A good used car that is only a year or two old really isn't that much cheaper than a new car it seems.  Plus you get a better warranty (usually) with a new car.

I think the best way to go about it is to buy new if you can afford it and then drive it into the ground (at least ten years or a ton of miles).

I need some advice: 

I have been shopping for a few weeks for a Toyota Avalon, 2013-2017. I found a car that checks a lot off ALMOST everything on my list: 

1. Under 100 miles from me

2. Certified used Toyota / no wrecks

3. Colors suit me, especially interior. I hate the two tone, light leather that many of these cars/years have. This has black leather which is what I wanted 

4. Moonroof (wife’s only request)

5. Low miles - 28k

6. Under 20K...18,295 to be exact 

The only thing it does not have that I wanted is the factory navigation. I know it shouldn’t be a major deal or should it? Should I hold out to find that one that has everything? 

Is it possible to have the dealer add that somehow? 

Thanks!

Carmax is your friend.  I sell all my cars to them.  I get slightly less than a private sale, but way more than from dealer, and with no hassles or risk of dealing with individual buyers.  My last car I sold to Carmax for $34k, and the dealer had offered $22k. 

And I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them even for a second.  They have it down to a science.  You give your kid a budget, tell them they have to find something with no more than 25k miles on it for that price, and help them walk the lot and choose.  They get something they want.  You get minimal hassle and a car that is probably in excellent condition. 

I need some advice: 

I have been shopping for a few weeks for a Toyota Avalon, 2013-2017. I found a car that checks a lot off ALMOST everything on my list: 

3. Colors suit me, especially interior. I hate the two tone, light leather that many of these cars/years have. This has black leather which is what I wanted 

5. Low miles - 28k

The only thing it does not have that I wanted is the factory navigation. I know it shouldn’t be a major deal or should it? Should I hold out to find that one that has everything? 

Thanks!
go for it.  waze on your phone is fine.  you can also plug the phone into most cars.  my wife's car didn't have navi.  but it checked every other box.

I need some advice: 

5. Low miles - 28k

Thanks!
Nav in cars generally sucks. No way that would be a must have to me.

I need some advice: 

5. Low miles - 28k

Thanks!
Skip the NAV, use your phone.  Waze or Google Maps light years better than a 5 year old Car NAV system

Me too.  My truck just died and my oldest is 12, so I want to buy something, drive it for a few years & give it to her.  I drive ~10k/ year, btw.  

Here's my sweet spot: 2010 or newer Camry, <100k miles, and I want to spend <$8k.  It seems to be a tough nut to crack but if I can find it, she'll get a Camry with 150k miles that i personally drove & maintained for the previous 4 years.
I finally pulled the trigger.  Just outside of my sweet spot, but I got a car that will work for me.  2007 Accord, 71k miles, $8k.  Way fewer miles than my threshold, leather, clean.  2 previous owners, no wrecks.  Car was sold previously private party and very few miles from either so I assume it was sold within the family.  ~6k miles a year overall.  Mechanic checked it out, no issues.

I should be able to get 100k more miles out of this car.

I found the car by the dealer calling me.  I was honest with him on a previous test drive and he kept good notes.  When this car hit his lot, he sent me a text and that was that.

moleculo said:
I finally pulled the trigger.  Just outside of my sweet spot, but I got a car that will work for me.  2007 Accord, 71k miles, $8k.  Way fewer miles than my threshold, leather, clean.  2 previous owners, no wrecks.  Car was sold previously private party and very few miles from either so I assume it was sold within the family.  ~6k miles a year overall.  Mechanic checked it out, no issues.

I should be able to get 100k more miles out of this car.

I found the car by the dealer calling me.  I was honest with him on a previous test drive and he kept good notes.  When this car hit his lot, he sent me a text and that was that.
I'd call that a win!

I need some advice: 

5. Low miles - 28k

Thanks!
So, I go to see and most likely buy this car on Monday, a two hour drive from home. I open the door and WHAM, I am hit with the stinch of smoke. I look at the sales lady like, “you couldn’t have told me this before I drove two hours?” We liked everything else about the car, she claims they can get the smell out, I don’t buy her story or the car.

Drive another hour away from home to visit my parents. Check out the dealerships out up there and find the same car but a year older car, about 7k more miles, but the top trim level. It has every option that the car can get. I ended up buying it and am really happy with it..........so far (one day).

2013 Toyota Avalon Limited

The super-cheap (or frugal) like me buy a car that is five or six years old, drive it for another five or six years and then get whatever is left out of it for cash. Paying anything more than $1000 per year to own a car is wasted money.
Itemize your annual car expenses for me please. 

Make note of your mileage, gas, insurance, and depreciation.  Model and year please.

I ended up with a Nissan Versa S. 2018 with 35,000 miles on it for $10,000.00 Car still has the Nissan warranty

Best advice I can give is to take your time and look at several cars before making a decision. I feel that all the looking while being a PIA really helped me to know whats fair and whats not fair. I feel like I saw both.

Itemize your annual car expenses for me please. 

Make note of your mileage, gas, insurance, and depreciation.  Model and year please.
07 Prius. Insurance is about a dollar a day. 12000 miles per year, using about 250 gallons of gas. Depreciates about a grand per year (that was the $1000 quoted above. I wasn’t factoring in all the other costs although those are very reasonable for the Prius.) I could be cheaper and change my own oil, but instead shell out to the pros. That plus the typical annual repair is probably about $500 per year. Obviously much more than the thousand dollars I posted above which, as mentioned, was only considering depreciation.

07 Prius. Insurance is about a dollar a day. 12000 miles per year, using about 250 gallons of gas. Depreciates about a grand per year (that was the $1000 quoted above. I wasn’t factoring in all the other costs although those are very reasonable for the Prius.) I could be cheaper and change my own oil, but instead shell out to the pros. That plus the typical annual repair is probably about $500 per year. Obviously much more than the thousand dollars I posted above which, as mentioned, was only considering depreciation.
There is not a running car on the planet that can be operated for 1000 a year.  You are likely not factoring tires either, and a host of other factors, but point is taken that 1000/yr for any car is absurd.  

I have a hard time seeing how depreciation can be kept to 1000 a year, but on a 12 year old car, ok whatever. 

There is not a running car on the planet that can be operated for 1000 a year.  You are likely not factoring tires either, and a host of other factors, but point is taken that 1000/yr for any car is absurd.  

I have a hard time seeing how depreciation can be kept to 1000 a year, but on a 12 year old car, ok whatever. 
Bought it in 2015 for $8000, selling it in 2019 (now actually) for $4500 but I’ll take $4000. Maybe I don’t understand what you mean by depreciation, but I’m not factoring in repairs which have averaged about $400 per year.

Not seeing much actual advise in this thread, so I'll share mine after recently going through the process to buy a car for my daughter.

1. Determine what features you must have. For me, it was automatic emergency braking, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic monitoring, and AWD. For my daughter, it was white color and sunfroof. We did some research and drove some different model SUV's and settled on the Nissan Rogue based on features/value/availability. I figured out exactly what years/trims had the features we wanted. 

2. Once you know exactly what you want, use Carvana / Vroom / Carmax to find exactly what you are looking for and to determine FMV. They determine the lowest price they are willing to sell a vehicle at and that's what they advertise. No haggling. I didn't purchase from these sites because many of the cars I was looking at were likely previous rental cars (if you look at the actual sticker, it will say "fleet") with no service records, and I know how people (myself included) treat rental cars. Carvana comes with a 7-day return policy, so I wouldnt be afraid to give it a try if they absolutely had the best deal.

3. Once you know FMV for what you want, use any of the used car search engines (truecar, cars, autotrader, autobytel, cargurus, auto, etc, etc) to find out what's available near you. I looked for a recent trade-in with service records that only had one owner. Once I found cars I was interested in, I sent emails (using a burner acct) asking for their best price and linking the equivalent Carvana and Vroom cars I was comparing them too. All of them came down from original price. Once you get their best price, ask for a couple % lower. I found that most were willing to go 3% to 6% lower than what they were originally advertising.

Wa La!  :drive:

Users who are viewing this thread