What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car salesmen question (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
so im looking at purchasing a new truck.  I found a 2018 F350 limited.  Sticker is 84K.  They are asking 76K.  They've had it on the lot for 256days.  They ordered it.  Is it even worth offering 65K?  Will they even consider this type of offer?  Simmilar used 18's with 10k miles are going around 65K asking.

so im looking at purchasing a new truck.  I found a 2018 F350 limited.  Sticker is 84K.  They are asking 76K.  They've had it on the lot for 256days.  They ordered it.  Is it even worth offering 65K?  Will they even consider this type of offer?  Simmilar used 18's with 10k miles are going around 65K asking.
Car salesman are never offended, make the offer.  Maybe they will counter.

End of the month, its been brutally harsh weatherwise in Minn.  Make an offer, they may just go for it.  

I am not a good negotiator so I tend to focus on FMV (fair market value).

What is the FMV of that vehicle for your area of the country? You can use Edmunds or TrueCar for some indicators.

Holy crap, are all new trucks so expensive?
Not all are 76K, but yes new trucks are very expensive (as are used trucks). 

In other news (not related to boots b/c he's a FBG surely paying cash here), but US Consumer debt is about to reach 4 trillion. Mortgage debt is barely 10 trillion. So, Americans have, on the whole, have decided to borrow almost half as much money for vehicles and such as they do for their houses. Or, in a lot of cases, saying screw the house, daddy needs a $60k truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

In other news (not related to boots b/c he's a FBG surely paying cash here), but US Consumer debt is about to reach 4 trillion. Mortgage debt is barely 10 trillion. So, Americans have, on the whole, have decided to borrow almost half as much money for vehicles and such as they do for their houses. Or, in a lot of cases, saying screw the house, daddy needs a $60k truck.
Holy crap a typical new truck cost as much as a bmw/audi?

Even better when the owner of a $60k truck (or Mercedes) is living in an apartment complex or renting in a 3 story apartment.

Same person paying rent also has the latest model iphone and a bigger TV than most. Peoples priorities are so messed up.

... but I digest ...

Make them the offer. That's part of the negotiating process.

Find another one for sale, new or used, in that price range or less, that you are supposedly considering buying, .. and present that to them to strengthen your position.

Even better when the owner of a $60 truck (or Mercedes) is living in an apartment complex or renting in a 3 story apartment.

Same person paying rent also has the latest model iphone and a bigger TV than most. Peoples priorities are so messed up.

Ya, I used to live in a less than savory part of town.  Houses were 100+ years old, and not in great condition.  We saw multiple drug deals go down in the alley behind our house, which is unsettling when you have three kids under 10 playing in the yard.  But, there were full sized SUVs with tricked out rims, Lexus, Cadillacs, and Mercedes all around the neighborhoods.

If I could ask a potentially dumb question - but why is a F350 limited 2-3x as expensive as the F350 XL or XLT?  Same 6.2L V8, same horsepower, torque, towing capability and warranty.  That sticker price is damn near what I paid for my first condo - a 2 bedroom one bath in Norfolk, VA.

I’ll try the email thing.  Yes I am the typical FBG. Took a while to get here but I have arrived.  Cash baby!!

If I could ask a potentially dumb question - but why is a F350 limited 2-3x as expensive as the F350 XL or XLT?  Same 6.2L V8, same horsepower, torque, towing capability and warranty.  That sticker price is damn near what I paid for my first condo - a 2 bedroom one bath in Norfolk, VA.
Diesel engine for one. Massage seats etc. 

i bought my current truck for 45k 4 years ago.  I was already offered 41k on a trade. So less than 1k a year deprecation. Not bad.  

Yup.  I like to email three local dealers and let them all know that the cheapest price gets my business.
That’s exactly what I recently did. You quickly get down to the nuts and bolts. Deal was done in a couple days. At the end I had dealers throwing in free oil changes etc. That’s when I knew the prices weren’t going any lower.

Diesel engine for one. Massage seats etc. 

i bought my current truck for 45k 4 years ago.  I was already offered 41k on a trade. So less than 1k a year deprecation. Not bad.  
Yes, trucks do hold their value a ridiculous amount.  Will that still be the case for one that starts so high, though?

Diesel on the 350XL is still well under $50k (crew cab and the like).  That's a lot of massages....

I had no idea that cars/trucks had massage seats in them now.  

And here I am like a third class citizen in steerage driving to work on my heated/air conditioned seats like a sucker.  

Yes, trucks do hold their value a ridiculous amount.  Will that still be the case for one that starts so high, though?

Diesel on the 350XL is still well under $50k (crew cab and the like).  That's a lot of massages....
I agree.  Thats why I am nervous.  I typically keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off (My other car is an 09 Honda Fit) but my current Ram has been nothing but problems.  Last vacation the transmission went out while ending our family vacation to KY.  Granted it was covered by warranty (9K without warranty).  I have only 55K on it.  

This new truck stickered out at 82K.  If I can get it for 65K, Im hoping it 4 years its still worth 55K or so.  Doesnt really matter as I will keep it for 10+ years anyway.

I agree.  Thats why I am nervous.  I typically keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off (My other car is an 09 Honda Fit) but my current Ram has been nothing but problems.  Last vacation the transmission went out while ending our family vacation to KY.  Granted it was covered by warranty (9K without warranty).  I have only 55K on it.  

This new truck stickered out at 82K.  If I can get it for 65K, Im hoping it 4 years its still worth 55K or so.  Doesnt really matter as I will keep it for 10+ years anyway.
Odd pair of vehicles.  You really can't get much more different.

So this is the family vacation vehicle?  Towing?

Odd pair of vehicles.  You really can't get much more different.

So this is the family vacation vehicle?  Towing?
Family vacation vehicle.  Towing 35' camper.  Hunting.  Utility vehicle.  Daily driver.  I work from home but would DD it for everything except going to airport.  I use diesel because towing with 1/2 ton sucks.  Feels like youre going to get sucked under the tires of semi's.  With a diesel you dont even feel it back there.  Plus when you pull into a campground all the other men that do not drive diesels look up wishing they did.  Got to show them Im a FBG!

If you want the invoice, go to www.costcoauto.com.  Add your vehicle->"Configure"->"Build Vehicle"

Also keep in mind that most dealers receive a holdback from the manufacturer when they sell a new vehicle.  It varies by manufacturer and is typically a percentage of the invoice or MSRP.  So, the "true" cost that customers should negotiate with ends up being the invoice - holdback.  I've never researched Ford, but I usually use 3% of the MSRP when I research a new car.

$65k is pretty insulting.  99.99% they won't take you seriously ever again.  Dealerships aren't in the business of taking $8k-$9k losses on sales.  They would rather hold for another 256 days if need be - all it takes is one customer out of millions of people to close a deal.  

Quick search on Costco for a $81k F-350 SRW Limited 4WD shows invoice of $77k, so a $4k difference between MSRP and invoice.  On your $84k truck, invoice is probably $80k and less hold back of $2.5k, puts the dealer's breakeven point at $77.5k.  If they sold you this truck with no trade in or other add-ons like extended warranties, $76k is realistically no profit for them and makes me believe no way in heck do they accept a $65k offer.  

If you want the invoice, go to www.costcoauto.com.  Add your vehicle->"Configure"->"Build Vehicle"

Also keep in mind that most dealers receive a holdback from the manufacturer when they sell a new vehicle.  It varies by manufacturer and is typically a percentage of the invoice or MSRP.  So, the "true" cost that customers should negotiate with ends up being the invoice - holdback.  I've never researched Ford, but I usually use 3% of the MSRP when I research a new car.

$65k is pretty insulting.  99.99% they won't take you seriously ever again.  Dealerships aren't in the business of taking $8k-$9k losses on sales.  They would rather hold for another 256 days if need be - all it takes is one customer out of millions of people to close a deal.  

Quick search on Costco for a $81k F-350 SRW Limited 4WD shows invoice of $77k, so a $4k difference between MSRP and invoice.  On your $84k truck, invoice is probably $80k and less hold back of $2.5k, puts the dealer's breakeven point at $77.5k.  If they sold you this truck with no trade in or other add-ons like extended warranties, $76k is realistically no profit for them and makes me believe no way in heck do they accept a $65k offer.  
Well dang.  Thanks for the info.  Wish you would have posted this 3 seconds ago as i just clicked send on my email.  What about it being end of month?  what if they need to hit their number.  Plus I figured we had to start at some number.  But if what you are saying is true.  No way we come together.  Not paying 76K for a truck i can get for 66K with 10k miles on it used.

Family vacation vehicle.  Towing 35' camper.  Hunting.  Utility vehicle.  Daily driver.  I work from home but would DD it for everything except going to airport.  I use diesel because towing with 1/2 ton sucks.  Feels like youre going to get sucked under the tires of semi's.  With a diesel you dont even feel it back there.  
8k GVWR?  That's quite a camper, but also quite a truck (speced to tow 21k lbs.)

Go big or go home.   I dont live in a McMansion nor do i want to.   I do however enjoy big trucks.
I know what you mean.  My four banger grocery getter can tow up to 2k as long as it has it's own brakes.  🤣

Where I live, though, there are these huge trucks everywhere.  I get their usefulness (I grew up on a farm), just never understood their pricetags.

Good article.  

I drove a Tundra for about 15 years,  bought it new, a couple years after they first came out.  Great truck, no problems, worth it.  So I was looking to buy a Tacoma recently, which is basically the size now of the early Tundras, but could not justify the price tag.  And that was for used Tacomas.  So, in line with what that article is saying, my sense was that the truck market has become sorely overpriced in America.  Ended up with a used, smaller SUV that can still fit enough of my #### in the back.

As an aside, buying a new vehicle doesn't make a whole lot of sense typically.  However, the depreciation on newer/used trucks, especially Toyotas, makes it such that one could argue buying new is a viable option, all things considered.  However, knowing how grossly overpriced new trucks are to begin with nowadays, why bother?  So I guess the sweet spot in purchasing a truck, if there is one, would be to look at models over 5 years old or so.

And OP, I am sick with envy. I bet it’s a blast to tool around in a truck like that. I assume you have a 5th wheel since you mentioned camping. 

I think I need a better job  :kicksrock:

Good article.  

I drove a Tundra for about 15 years,  bought it new, a couple years after they first came out.  Great truck, no problems, worth it.  So I was looking to buy a Tacoma recently, which is basically the size now of the early Tundras, but could not justify the price tag.  And that was for used Tacomas.  So, in line with what that article is saying, my sense was that the truck market has become sorely overpriced in America.  Ended up with a used, smaller SUV that can still fit enough of my #### in the back.

As an aside, buying a new vehicle doesn't make a whole lot of sense typically.  However, the depreciation on newer/used trucks, especially Toyotas, makes it such that one could argue buying new is a viable option, all things considered.  However, knowing how grossly overpriced new trucks are to begin with nowadays, why bother?  So I guess the sweet spot in purchasing a truck, if there is one, would be too look at models over 5 years old or so.
What did you end up with?

And OP, I am sick with envy. I bet it’s a blast to tool around in a truck like that. I assume you have a 5th wheel since you mentioned camping. 

I think I need a better job  :kicksrock:
It's not a 5er.  I dont like how they pull and backing up sucks in them.  Plus i dont like giving up all the bed space to carry junk.  Not to mention that they are typically 10K more to start.  I use a load leveler and a bumper pull pulls like a dream.  I shake my head when i see 3/4 and 1 ton truck pulling a bumper pull camper without  load levelers.  So dangerous but they think because their truck is so much bigger it will be ok.

I hear what you’re saying, but “Invoice” now isn’t the same as before the internet when “Invoice” was a more secret number reflecting dealer costs. Now manufacturers build more profit into the invoice.

No way is the dealer breaking even at $77.5k. 

If a 2018 used with 10,000 miles is “priced” at $65k it’s still not selling for that. after negotiation. The “new” 2018 is not only last years’ model it’s been on their lot forever. The dealer needs to eat the depreciation, not you. $65k offer is not insulting. Plus who cares if they’re insulted. Yes you want to deal fairly, as do I. 

The dealer will know he’s serious because people who make offers on $65k vehicles are capable of closing on those deals. The dealer or salesman is not walking away from this potential buyer of a high end, high margin vehicle because he was “insulted.”

The parties may or may not come to an agreement, which is fine. They each can walk away.

This type of purchase doesn’t “seem” like a typical “email 10 dealers on a Honda Civic and see which one has the best price.” I would offer $60k, maybe even in person so I can see his reactions, since it’s a rarer, unique vehicle and situation.

If he quickly accepts $65k you paid too much. 

I hear what you’re saying, but “Invoice” now isn’t the same as before the internet when “Invoice” was a more secret number reflecting dealer costs. Now manufacturers build more profit into the invoice.

No way is the dealer breaking even at $77.5k. 

If a 2018 used with 10,000 miles is “priced” at $65k it’s still not selling for that. after negotiation. The “new” 2018 is not only last years’ model it’s been on their lot forever. The dealer needs to eat the depreciation, not you. $65k offer is not insulting. Plus who cares if they’re insulted. Yes you want to deal fairly, as do I. 

The dealer will know he’s serious because people who make offers on $65k vehicles are capable of closing on those deals. The dealer or salesman is not walking away from this potential buyer of a high end, high margin vehicle because he was “insulted.”

The parties may or may not come to an agreement, which is fine. They each can walk away.

This type of purchase doesn’t “seem” like a typical “email 10 dealers on a Honda Civic and see which one has the best price.” I would offer $60k, maybe even in person so I can see his reactions, since it’s a rarer, unique vehicle and situation.

If he quickly accepts $65k you paid too much. 
Now we're cooking with gas!  This is exactly what i thought.  I offered 63.  Because you're right, The 18's I saw listed at 65K with 10K was the 'asking' price.  My understanding is you are also correct with eating depreciation.  They get the vehicles from ford interest free for so many days.  after that they need to pay the interest on them.  256 days at the dealership is A LONG time.  

Regardless.  I'm only willing to pay 65 as it doesnt bother me getting a used one with10k.  So we will see what happens.

Now we're cooking with gas!  This is exactly what i thought.  I offered 63.  Because you're right, The 18's I saw listed at 65K with 10K was the 'asking' price.  My understanding is you are also correct with eating depreciation.  They get the vehicles from ford interest free for so many days.  after that they need to pay the interest on them.  256 days at the dealership is A LONG time.  

Regardless.  I'm only willing to pay 65 as it doesnt bother me getting a used one with10k.  So we will see what happens.
Dealers always overprice good looking used cars for more than market value to start.  All it takes is one sucker to overpay.  Did you look at the options on the used one?  What if the MSRP on that one was $95k?  What if it was $75k?  Options on a $80k+ vehicle can easily impact the MSRP by over five figures.  It's not an apples to apples comparison.

If the max price you were willing to pay for the new one was $65k, then you had nothing to lose.  256 days for one vehicle to sit on a giant lot is not really a long time.  They aren't paying for extra space to store the vehicle nor are they losing $13k-$15k in depreciation in the next week.

Dealers always overprice good looking used cars for more than market value to start.  All it takes is one sucker to overpay.  Did you look at the options on the used one?  What if the MSRP on that one was $95k?  What if it was $75k?  Options on a $80k+ vehicle can easily impact the MSRP by over five figures.  It's not an apples to apples comparison.

If the max price you were willing to pay for the new one was $65k, then you had nothing to lose.  256 days for one vehicle to sit on a giant lot is not really a long time.  They aren't paying for extra space to store the vehicle nor are they losing $13k-$15k in depreciation in the next week.
No but they lost a bunch when the 19's hit the floor.  Now the 20's order date has been released.  There is a mid-model update in the 20's also.  They are changing transmissions likely to a 10 speed.  So the value just went down again.  heck if this keeps up he's going to be paying me! :)

There arnt a lot of additional options either at this trim level.  It has most of them.   But i do get what youre saying.

What did you end up with?
Of all things, a used bmw.  Last 4 vehicles I had were Toyotas (Lexus, OLD Landcruiser which was a beast that I still miss, a Tundra, and a Highlander).  I was sticking with Toyota, but the prices were a little much for what I need nowadays.  I still would rather have a Tacoma right now, knowing it could go to 2030 or more.  But the smaller/suv was quite a bit less, with about half the miles as I could find on any Tacoma in the same price range.  And I looked for months, did enough research.  So we'll see if that was a good decision or not, but I've been in it for a year now and it has far exceeded my expectations, time will tell.

Sorry for the hijack, just wanted to answer the question.

Anyway, it's pretty clear that trucks are priced at a premium in murica these days. They're 61% higher than just 10 years ago???  Meanwhile other autos are 28% higher in the same timeframe, so trucks more than doubled that, yeesh!

Users who are viewing this thread