What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Market going forward (1 Viewer)

Just FYI, guys. You NEVER have to put money down on a lease and you shouldn't.

In the unlikely event the car gets in an accident/totaled, you don't get that money back. It's basically thrown away.

The only reason to really consider a down payment is if they are somehow offering you a better financing rate, which I've personally never seen (and shouldn't matter since that's not how lease financing is determined unless MAYBE it's due to poor credit).
You can get gap insurance for this sort of thing. If you hate money a little less than others

I thought I remember Mazda having some good rates when I was pondering for my youngest (2.9% special). Might not be on the CX-9, but PenFed used car rates are 6.79% at the lowest used car rates. If the dealer can give you their new car rate, could be a chunk lower.
No financing, will pay cash to dealer.
You might want to consider it. I looked and saw new vehicle financing from 0% to 2.9% (CX-90). I get 5% just parking cash at Fidelity so if they had a 0%, I’d take it and just automate the payments and earn the 2-5% spread on the interest. Let’s say $30k, the 5% interest is $1500 a year so $125 a month to start. It will go down every month as you make payments but you’d still easily clear a few thousand especially since the Fed appears to not be lowering rates soon.

If at any time the spread goes to 0%, you just pay off the remainder of the loan and enjoy the extra you made.

This all assumes that they’d be able to give you the new car rates. Used 3rd party (even good credit unions) car rates aren’t below 5%.
For those of you in top tier Mazdas, do you like them? They are 10k cheaper than their counterparts. I remember not loving them 7 years ago.

Has anybody bought a used car with a rebuilt title, or have any good insight about them? I am looking around for a reliable used car for my daughter, and I have seen several listed with rebuilt titles. The cars visually look fine for whatever that may be worth. But, I am leery of jumping in on one of these. Is it pretty much the same dice roll as buying any used car?

Has anybody bought a used car with a rebuilt title, or have any good insight about them? I am looking around for a reliable used car for my daughter, and I have seen several listed with rebuilt titles. The cars visually look fine for whatever that may be worth. But, I am leery of jumping in on one of these. Is it pretty much the same dice roll as buying any used car?
The biggest question is who did the work. A salvage title means the car was totaled at one point in time. Someone then purchased the car and rebuilt it and had it retitled. The warranty is void on salvage titled vehicles but recalls will still be performed. The biggest issue you will see with a salvage title is if it is a flood vehicle. A lot of flood vehicles get purchased and resold. You may have a bunch of electrical problems if it was a flood vehicle. If you know someone who is in the body shop business, I would have them look at it to make sure the frame wasn't tweaked.

The biggest question is who did the work. A salvage title means the car was totaled at one point in time. Someone then purchased the car and rebuilt it and had it retitled. The warranty is void on salvage titled vehicles but recalls will still be performed. The biggest issue you will see with a salvage title is if it is a flood vehicle. A lot of flood vehicles get purchased and resold. You may have a bunch of electrical problems if it was a flood vehicle. If you know someone who is in the body shop business, I would have them look at it to make sure the frame wasn't tweaked.
I have also seen a branded title...not really sure of the difference. Some of these look like decent deals, but I don't really know how much history I can get on those cars. I may just steer clear.

I have also seen a branded title...not really sure of the difference. Some of these look like decent deals, but I don't really know how much history I can get on those cars. I may just steer clear.
Totaled can mean a lot of things. Many times it’s just repairable damage that costs more then (or close too) the value of the car so they ”total” it instead. For a first car it might be worth the research to see what deemed it totaled.

Totaled can mean a lot of things. Many times it’s just repairable damage that costs more then (or close too) the value of the car so they ”total” it instead. For a first car it might be worth the research to see what deemed it totaled.
I didn't even know this was a thing until this past year shopping for cars for my daughter. This car was way in the back of the lot. Was a really nice Toyota and was listed 7 grand under bluebook price. When I talked to the dealer he told me he was obligated to inform me it has a rebuilt title. He then told me it might cause problems when trying to register with state and insure it. Didn't research it at all. I just believed him. To this day I don't really know what it really means if I owned a car with one.

If you have the Vin, search it and often times you can get photos of the car at auction. Honestly if you can't find a wreck photo then would just pass on it.

Right...and I typically avoid them. Especially right now where even a rebuilt title car under 100k miles is still selling at what used to be normal clean title car prices. And, I believe, insurance won't offer anything except liability coverage on such a titled vehicle.

That said, I have one at the moment...not because we bought it though. Son was driving an older Ford Escape mentioned earlier in the thread. Insurance adjusters did not even prepare an estimate on a 2005 with 130,000 miles on it that had already had the front end repaired 2 years ago. They simply considered it totaled and made us 2 offers (one for them to keep the car, one where we accept $700 less and we keep it and its on us to get it fixed). We chose the latter and now will have the escape with a rebuilt title.

It really depends on the damage. I would stay away from flood cars. For collision cars, if the frame is damaged, stay away.

ETA: I never bought a salvage title car but a guy I know buys them all the time.

Last edited:
Question on the branded title issue, have any of you had problems with insurance companies not wanting to insure the vehicle. We have car lots here in town that specialize in these cars and some of them have amazing looking cars with incredible prices, but I worry about the insurance side of things.

Question on the branded title issue, have any of you had problems with insurance companies not wanting to insure the vehicle. We have car lots here in town that specialize in these cars and some of them have amazing looking cars with incredible prices, but I worry about the insurance side of things.
Most of the insurance is on the liability side. A funky title doesn't necessarily imply any additional liability risk and insurance isn't gonna pay out because your axel is bent.

Many times. There's a family run business near where I grew up that does exactly this. Never had a single issue. Currently driving an F150 that I purchased for a big discount a couple years ago. They had all the pics if what it looked like before. Minor wreck but airbags deployed so it was totaled. Multiple family members have bought from them without issue as well. Always comes down to who you're buying from.

I currently have two salvaged titles. One on - 97 Tahoe that sits in the garage.

2010 Ford Edge - my wife’s daily driver- same situation as above- has a brand new engine (not rebuilt) but the insurance company doesn’t care/ they totaled it after her car got rear ended.

Tahoe - gave me $9k + truck. I suped up the truck with all that money. It’s pretty sick.

*Edge - gave me $7.300 + truck. I bought $9 worth of plastic clips/parts, slapped the bumpers back on and used the $ to pay off a credit card.

* - This was a new one to me- they totaled it but it’s not a salvaged title per se- it’s called a cosmetic salvage.

What's the current interest rate for new cars? Any sort of specials out there for the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai stuff?
Mazda just had a bunch of models at 0%, got a CX-30 for my son.
What trim? My daughter just got her license and those look interesting.
In Jan it was all trims, in Feb it was premium only. Not sure what it is this month. I am pretty impressed, the only drawback is the carplay screen isn't touch, you have to use a central knob for input.

Saw a thing about Stellantis, said that all these Chrysler, Jeep, Ram and whoever dealerships can't sell anything in spite of offering huge discounts at dealership level. They're refusing vehicles from the manufacturer left and right, and many are going to go out of business soon.

And that all of that just may be Stellantis' desire.

If you have a GM vehicle and have OnStar's SmartDriver (you may not even know you do), they have been selling your driving data for years.
Selling it to LexisNexis and Verisk, who then provided that information to auto insurers. You'll never believe this, but that information was used to raise insurance rates.

Story broke on March 13. By March 20, GM was saying they don't do it anymore. 7 days. Man, they must know they really stepped in it.

If you have a GM vehicle and have OnStar's SmartDriver (you may not even know you do), they have been selling your driving data for years.
Selling it to LexisNexis and Verisk, who then provided that information to auto insurers. You'll never believe this, but that information was used to raise insurance rates.

Story broke on March 13. By March 20, GM was saying they don't do it anymore. 7 days. Man, they must know they really stepped in it.
Anyone that thinks we aren’t being tracked and monitored by every electronic device we use, is deluding themselves.

Saw a thing about Stellantis, said that all these Chrysler, Jeep, Ram and whoever dealerships can't sell anything in spite of offering huge discounts at dealership level. They're refusing vehicles from the manufacturer left and right, and many are going to go out of business soon.

Question is why did it take so long for these to be inhaled

They were insanely cheap a few years ago. It was just before covid that I negotiated 17k under MSRP on a pretty basic ram pickup.

I would buy one again if I could get that price, here's hoping.

EV market slowing much faster than anticipated. Instead of slowing from 60% growth to 30% growth, it may be flat to single digits.

Used EV with the tax credit if you qualify would be the sweet spot for a nice purchase.

Anyone that thinks we aren’t being tracked and monitored by every electronic device we use, is deluding themselves.
Agreed.

It's just an incredibly risky strategy for a company trying to get people making $60K a year to keep buying $80K trucks at 12% interest. I hope they were getting paid a lot of money for this information because otherwise it makes zero sense to contribute to increased insurance costs when you're already scrambling eat up every dollar of disposable income from your customers.

Stellantis decided to make Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram luxury brands.

Still the same Chrysler, Jeep, and Ram. Just with a 30% mark-up. That makes it luxury, right?

Anyone drive a VW SUV? My 2015 Outback is dying so looking for an immediate replacement. VW has a 0% 60 month finance deal right now on Tiguans. I know there will be a significant tweak to this model for 2025, but wondering if anyone has any familiarity with either the 2024 Tiguan, Atlas, or Taos. TIA

Anyone drive a VW SUV? My 2015 Outback is dying so looking for an immediate replacement. VW has a 0% 60 month finance deal right now on Tiguans. I know there will be a significant tweak to this model for 2025, but wondering if anyone has any familiarity with either the 2024 Tiguan, Atlas, or Taos. TIA
I have the electric VW SUV (id.4). It's solid to drive.

When we got our Palisade just over 2 years ago, I had it between that, the Telluride (VERY similar to the Palisade, sister companies), and the Atlas. I would have gone with the Atlas if there was one available. Good size, drove well.

That's all I got.

Sweet spot may be these Uber luxury brands like the taycan and Benz seeing huge depreciation and are now bargains.

head gasket issue?

2015 is not very old for an outback to die

head gasket issue?

Transmission is starting to high whine. I’m not happy about it.

I thought I remember Mazda having some good rates when I was pondering for my youngest (2.9% special). Might not be on the CX-9, but PenFed used car rates are 6.79% at the lowest used car rates. If the dealer can give you their new car rate, could be a chunk lower.
You might want to consider it. I looked and saw new vehicle financing from 0% to 2.9% (CX-90). I get 5% just parking cash at Fidelity so if they had a 0%, I’d take it and just automate the payments and earn the 2-5% spread on the interest. Let’s say $30k, the 5% interest is $1500 a year so $125 a month to start. It will go down every month as you make payments but you’d still easily clear a few thousand especially since the Fed appears to not be lowering rates soon.

If at any time the spread goes to 0%, you just pay off the remainder of the loan and enjoy the extra you made.

This all assumes that they’d be able to give you the new car rates. Used 3rd party (even good credit unions) car rates aren’t below 5%.
For those of you in top tier Mazdas, do you like them? They are 10k cheaper than their counterparts. I remember not loving them 7 years ago.
I can not understand how the Mazda brand isn't more popular.
Seems like a quality automobile ... on par with Honda / Toyota, no?
Their flagship CX90 with 340 HP looks like a great ride for the price.
Mazda CX90 Review

head gasket issue?

Holy crap, that is a 7k repair IF you can find a place that does not try to rip you off, then it is an 8.5k repair!!!!

You might want to get that traded in fast regardless of what you find. Depending on what you can get trade in now you may be better off eating a few thousand on the buying side. Because you might have 7-8.5k of losses on your trade in if you don't hurry.

Edit, as for VW buy it if you want to, but they don't make financial sense compared to a toyota. The depreciation is too high. When you trade it in 10 years down the line the VW will be worth 5-10k less than the Toyota. Not that financial decisions always need to drive the vehicle purchasing process.

Test drive it and buy it if you like it.

I can not understand how the Mazda brand isn't more popular.
Mazda CX90 Review
They seem overpriced to me. Was looking at a CX-50 and the trim levels are crazy expensive for what they are imo

can not understand how the Mazda brand isn't more popular.
Mazda CX90 Review
I first saw one of these at work a few months ago and now every time I see it causes a double take. Very good looking vehicle in person.

What's the current interest rate for new cars? Any sort of specials out there for the Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Hyundai stuff?
In Jan it was all trims, in Feb it was premium only. Not sure what it is this month. I am pretty impressed, the only drawback is the carplay screen isn't touch, you have to use a central knob for input.
I have a 2024 CX-5 and actually quite like the central knob, but mine also has the ability to use touchscreen when using Carplay/Android Auto which was added in 2024 (not for the rest of the infotainment system though, still have to use the knob for radio and xm). I looked at the CX-30 and Mazda 3 trims for 2024 and touchscreen is only available with the larger screen that comes with the turbo trims.

Mazda CX90 Review
I first saw one of these at work a few months ago and now every time I see it causes a double take. Very good looking vehicle in person.

I just tried to price one out, we are replacing my pickup with either a new pickup for me or a new SUV for my wife and then i would take her SUV for a year and trade it in next year.

I need the towing package though and you need to get the 43,000 dollar trim to get the towing package, but my wife hates leather seats and the cloth seats are not an option on that trim.

I truly hate car manufacturer's.

The CX-90 is crossed off the list.

head gasket issue?

Come out to Portland, you’ll fit right in.

I have a 2024 CX-5 and actually quite like the central knob, but mine also has the ability to use touchscreen when using Carplay/Android Auto which was added in 2024 (not for the rest of the infotainment system though, still have to use the knob for radio and xm). I looked at the CX-30 and Mazda 3 trims for 2024 and touchscreen is only available with the larger screen that comes with the turbo trims.
Hey buddy!

I’m on my third CX-5. My 2021 lease is up in November. Anything else to know about the 2024?

head gasket issue?

I unfortunately had the same problem with my 2015 Outback, sold it to Carmax. Too bad because my wife and I loved that car otherwise. We got a new Outback and love it too, although slightly less than our older one due to a few interior design changes over the years.

Hey buddy!

I’m on my third CX-5. My 2021 lease is up in November. Anything else to know about the 2024?
Yes, I still lurk :). I think the touchscreen was the big change this year. I was going to look at used but they had 0% financing and went all in for the highest trim non-turbo, a treat to myself since I haven't had a new car in 20 years. I like almost everything about it except I'm still trying to get comfortable with the seats.

Thinking of getting a 4-Runner (SR5 Premium package). Any thoughts good or bad?
As mentioned, the 2025 (6th generation) just got announced last week. Will only be available with an 4 cylinder turbo (two options, one is a hybrid). It wasn’t that long ago you could get an 8 cylinder. Anyway, might be worth waiting a bit until those come out as they may be looking to move the last of the 5th generation. Or you could be one of the first with a 6th gen.

Mazda CX90 Review

I just tried to price one out, we are replacing my pickup with either a new pickup for me or a new SUV for my wife and then i would take her SUV for a year and trade it in next year.

I need the towing package though and you need to get the 43,000 dollar trim to get the towing package, but my wife hates leather seats and the cloth seats are not an option on that trim.

I truly hate car manufacturer's.

The CX-90 is crossed off the list.
I can install a trailer hitch and wiring on whatever CX90 trim you like for about $600. Same goes for most SUV's.
If you're not in the South Shore area of MA then you could probably find another quality hitch installer in your area.
The wiring kit is literally just plug and play ...although you do need to take the interior apart to get to the socket.
CL3 Trailer Hitch CX90
Trailer Wiring CX90
You can usually add the hitch thru the dealer as well. Sometimes they do it in house ... sometimes they bring it to me.

I can install a trailer hitch and wiring on whatever CX90 trim you like for about $600. Same goes for most SUV's.
If you're not in the South Shore area of MA then you could probably find another quality hitch installer in your area.
The wiring kit is literally just plug and play ...although you do need to take the interior apart to get to the socket.
CL3 Trailer Hitch CX90
Trailer Wiring CX90
You can usually add the hitch thru the dealer as well. Sometimes they do it in house ... sometimes they bring it to me.

I can install a hitch and wiring harness no problem. I have done that previously on two other SUV's and I don't need a brake controller, the boat I am towing is only 4k pounds and a SUV will have no problem stopping it.

However, there are some people talking about transmission coolers, which is fairly common with SUV tow packages. Neither of my wife's previous SUV's needed them, but it is pretty normal for your basic unibody suv to need a transmission cooler installed for towing.

Last edited:
CL3 Trailer Hitch CX90
Trailer Wiring CX90

I can install a hitch and wiring harness no problem. I have done that previously on two other SUV's and I don't need a brake controller, the boat I am towing is only 4k pounds and a SUV will have no problem stopping it.

However, there are some people talking about transmission coolers, which is fairly common with SUV tow packages. Neither of my wife's previous SUV's needed them, but it is pretty normal for your basic unibody suv to need a transmission cooler installed for towing.

All modern vehicles have a transmission cooler. The tow package doesn't add anything to the tranny.
What your link references is an additional "sub" radiator that allows more engine coolant capacity.
The transmission would perform the same with or without the tow package.
Now if your are in 105d Arizona sun, towing 5k lbs uphill for 2 hours with the A/C on full blast, ... yes, there is a good chance the motor will overheat.
Also, any trailer over 3500 lbs should have brakes (it's the law). A 4000lb boat (+800 lb boat trailer?) should have a tandem axle with a hydraulic surge brake system. No brake controller needed.
I wouldn't rely on the suv brakes to stop that load in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread