What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Market going forward (1 Viewer)

Parts and distribution centers added to the strike for GM/Stellantis. Not ideal if your vehicle is in the shop for a repair, especially if under warranty.

A prolonged strike could add 3-5% to vehicle transaction prices.
My GM district manager said that GM employees may start going to Warehouses to fulfill parts orders. This could get interesting though because we are already seeing part issues on the repair side. I had a customer that had to wait 6 weeks for a new 6.2L engine for his truck. 2 weeks after the repair it is back in the shop for a faulty head that there is currently no ETA to receive. I have a customer with a Dodge truck that has been waiting 11 months for a EBCM (electronic brake control module) for his truck and there still isn't an ETA on when we will see them. TCMs (transmission control module) for GM diesels are on backorder with no ETA, we had one that we waited 6 months for before we got. If you can find one of them on the internet, people know what they have and are asking $4000 for a part that normally costs $800. It could get very interesting.
I figure you should be in good shape with maintenance and light repair parts. I don’t think GM has enough salaried folks to run the depots, although I do recall a lot of Delco reps visiting FMP locations. One potential benefit of a prolonged strike is that maybe suppliers could catch up on parts.

Parts and distribution centers added to the strike for GM/Stellantis. Not ideal if your vehicle is in the shop for a repair, especially if under warranty.

My GM district manager said that GM employees may start going to Warehouses to fulfill parts orders. This could get interesting though because we are already seeing part issues on the repair side. I had a customer that had to wait 6 weeks for a new 6.2L engine for his truck. 2 weeks after the repair it is back in the shop for a faulty head that there is currently no ETA to receive. I have a customer with a Dodge truck that has been waiting 11 months for a EBCM (electronic brake control module) for his truck and there still isn't an ETA on when we will see them. TCMs (transmission control module) for GM diesels are on backorder with no ETA, we had one that we waited 6 months for before we got. If you can find one of them on the internet, people know what they have and are asking $4000 for a part that normally costs $800. It could get very interesting.
I figure you should be in good shape with maintenance and light repair parts. I don’t think GM has enough salaried folks to run the depots, although I do recall a lot of Delco reps visiting FMP locations. One potential benefit of a prolonged strike is that maybe suppliers could catch up on parts.
Funny thing about this statement is they are saying we could see a shortage of oil filters of all parts. We have stocked up to over double our normal inventory level in case this happens, but that is the last thing I would think there would be a shortage of.

Funny thing about this statement is they are saying we could see a shortage of oil filters of all parts. We have stocked up to over double our normal inventory level in case this happens, but that is the last thing I would think there would be a shortage of.

We are shifting away from China. Its one thing to not be able to get the parts shipped over here, its another thing entirely when the place thats been making everything for 30 years abruptly stops and those items are literally not being produced anymore. Its going to be crazy for a few years.

Kentucky Truck going down last night escalates the strike quite a bit. Probably the most profitable plant that Ford operates and the strike came off cadence.

Between the strike, interest rates, student loan payments, and EV adoption rates, 2024 is shaping up to be a mess.

I’ve noticed on Autotrader that prices are down in November on the used cars I’m looking at. Not sure if that’s just the normal progression, start high and drop but I may be looking for another car in a couple months. Wondering if people are seeing drops. Seems like if people seem to be stretching their credit/savings and a potential recession on the way could be a good thing for prices. We’ve been doing 2 cars for the wife, youngest son (only one in house now) and me since my wife and I work from home. It’s been fine so far, only a few nuisances. We’ll have all 4 cars back for Christmas break so no desire to add to that mess before mid to late January at the earliest.

Does anyone have a Mazda, specifically a CX-5 or CX-50? They are going to 0% for 60 months, and I am looking to get a replacement vehicle for our 15-year Nissan Murano that I probably won't get more than $1500 for. Everything I am reading is that the CX-5/50 is underrated and of good value. I have always thought the looks of them were pretty good. Never had a Mazda so I don't know much about reliability other than what I see online (decent).

Does anyone have a Mazda, specifically a CX-5 or CX-50? They are going to 0% for 60 months, and I am looking to get a replacement vehicle for our 15-year Nissan Murano that I probably won't get more than $1500 for. Everything I am reading is that the CX-5/50 is underrated and of good value. I have always thought the looks of them were pretty good. Never had a Mazda so I don't know much about reliability other than what I see online (decent).
My mother has one and loves it. Had it for a few years now. So, the 80 year old woman demographic says "yes".

I did look at them online while checking things out. 0% might be worth checking out again.

Drove some Mazdas in 2020. they seemed cheap on the inside unless buying the premium packages. Went toyota. :shrug:

Drove some Mazdas in 2020. they seemed cheap on the inside unless buying the premium packages. Went toyota. :shrug:
Oh I'm buying the premium package :baller:

My mother has one and loves it. Had it for a few years now. So, the 80 year old woman demographic says "yes".
To be clear, I was being serious that she liked it and I've driven it and it's not bad at all. I was making a joke for laughs but I wasn't at all putting down the car or trying to say it's an old woman car at all. And, she's had no issues with it whatsoever.

I test drove a Murano and I think both are similar and I liked the Mazda better, FWIW.

New car inventory is continuing to climb. Incentives were double in November this year as compared to last. As new car pricing eases, there should be more used cars available and the pricing should continue to fall. Rates will remain high on used cars, driving some additional buyers to new.

Last edited:
Just started my car search. In December, I'll probably be trading in my 2016 Ford Escape for a new car.

So far, I've been looking at:

Audi Q5
BMW X3
Acura MDX

Any other SUVs I should have on my radar?

New cars offering 0% financing.

MSRP on a Ford Edge is $48,700 :poop:
Oof. And $15,000 more than a Mazda CX-5.

I really can't wrap my mind around what Ford does, and how they get away with it.
CX - 5 is in the small utility segment - would compete with the Ford Escape and the Bronco Sport. CX-50 is the better comparison for the Ford Edge in the Medium Utility segment, and it is still quite a bit cheaper. The Edge comes standard with larger engine and AWD, so the apples to apples get closer if you want a similar vehicle and driving experience. 2024 is the last year for Edge, as Oakville assembly is getting retooled for EV production.

@Drunken knight estimated delivery tomorrow.

@Drunken knight estimated delivery tomorrow.
it arrived safe and sound. Thank you. Very fun selections. Love the t-shirts. I will post pics later this weekend.
sent a note i am not going to share (y)

Thank you very much!

Schwag

Edit: spreadsheet updated

We have had an x3 since 18.

Love it

Had an X1, liked it, but it was too small. I prefer something in a mid-sized SUV.
A driver ran a stop sign about a year ago and totaled our 1st one. We were then contemplating an X5 for more space. Didn’t love the feel and stayed with the X3.

Great for family trips (always bring a friend of daughter). With going to college this year, plenty of room for just the two of us

Last edited:
Just started my car search. In December, I'll probably be trading in my 2016 Ford Escape for a new car.

Audi Q5
BMW X3
Acura MDX

While I’m a BMW fan my experience with an X3 was pretty garbage. If you‘re looking at the premium mid size category (judging by your list) the Porsche Macan would be at the top imo, followed by the Q5 then MDX. If you’re not just looking at the premium range the new Grand Highlander is a great option too.

The wife had a loaded 530 that we got 200k out of. When it died, we looked at the X3 and it just felt cheap. Which was surprising to us because that 530 could have been an embassy car in Beirut. That thing was a silky tank. my Opinion of bmw changed a bit that day 🥲

Audi Q5
BMW X3
Acura MDX

MB GLC, absolutely love mine.

I like the look of the GLC. I'll have to give it a test drive.

I used to own a C240 and I hated that damn car, always in the shop for one thing or another.

Speaking of CarDealershipGuy, just listened to his podcast with the "Lease-here, Pay-here" guy, and felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards.

The guy seems nice enough, but the way he just casually spoke about his system that just absolutely gouges customers who can least afford it was nuts.

Lease-here pay-here is exactly what you'd expect. 3rd party leasing for sub-prime borrowers. Leasing isn't for me, but I can understand it if you're getting a good deal. But if you are offering leases on used cars for sub-prime borrowers, the only way to do that is to absolutely bend them over.

I could be mistaken as my mind is trying to block it out, but I think he said they generally make $8000-12,000 per victim/customer.

Last edited:
Speaking of CarDealershipGuy, just listened to his podcast with the "Lease-here, Pay-here" guy, and felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards.

The guy seems nice enough, but the way he just casually spoke about his system that just absolutely gouges customers who can least afford it was nuts.

Lease-here pay-here is exactly what you'd expect. 3rd party leasing for sub-prime borrowers. Leasing isn't for me, but I can understand it if you're getting a good deal. But if you are offering leases on used cars for sub-prime borrowers, the only way to do that is to absolutely bend them over.

I could be mistaken as my mind is trying to block it out, but I think he said they generally make $8000-12,000 per victim/customer.

I used to lease. It was nice getting a new car every 3 years, virtually no maintenance needed. Never had to worry about dependability. Only downside was having a monthly car payment. Since I moved over to financing a car I now own my car with no payments. Every now and then I have to shell out a few hundred bucks to get something fixed. Sometimes I need a tow to my mechanic, but I've been using YouTube for some minor fixes (just replaced a rear windshield wiper arm on my Ford for $18). Happy to report my paid off car just passed inspection, though it will need new front brakes at some point this year.

Audi Q5
BMW X3
Acura MDX

MB GLC, absolutely love mine.

I like the look of the GLC. I'll have to give it a test drive.

I used to own a C240 and I hated that damn car, always in the shop for one thing or another.
I'm on my second one, absolutely love them. The latest gen is a really nice update from the previous as well.

Side bar: If my 19-year-old son had to get his own car insurance instead of going on ours, instead of it costing around $800 to add him to our six-month policy, that exact same policy (his car only) purchased on his own would cost......

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS

WTF is wrong with this industry?????

Side bar: If my 19-year-old son had to get his own car insurance instead of going on ours, instead of it costing around $800 to add him to our six-month policy, that exact same policy (his car only) purchased on his own would cost......

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Be careful with laws in your state on this.

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Be careful with laws in your state on this.
Meaning what? He's allowed to be on our insurance until he's 25.

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Ours just jumped $1500 per year for our because our son turned 16, and that is with the good student discount because he is a straight A student who drives like a grandpa. That isn't even counting the car yet which was my mother in laws 2nd car that she no longer needed and just kept in on her policy until the policy runs out. I don't remember his siblings raising it near that high (1 girl 2 boys, youngest who is 21 now and none of them are on our policy of course) and his brothers were maniacs

We're shopping for a new (to her) car for my wife. We could downsize a bit at this point with one of the boys about to leave for college but she still wants an SUV with some type of third row so we can squeeze her mom in without too much trouble when we've got 5 in the car. She's currently driving a 2014 Buick Enclave that's starting to have a few problems and we want to get rid of. In the past she's had a 2005 Toyota Highlander and a Toyota Sienna. Right now it seems like she's settled on the Mazda CX-9 as a mid-sized SUV with a third row that's not too big.

We've found one at a local-ish dealer that is a 2023 Grand Touring that has just over 10k miles and it's life was as a lender car for dealership customers. So first thought was almost like a rental car, but on second thought, probably no one taking long trips or hard driving into NYC etc. Posted price is $34,500. We'll trade in the Buick and cover the rest. (No dealership financing). I haven't negotiated a car purchase in a while, how would you suggest approaching this?

CX-9's have been discontinued for the CX-90 line but there are not many around (we've looked) because it seems like most people buy out and keep them after lease, so supply/demand not on our side in this case. If we don't get this one, may have to search for a while again. I asked the salesman that we met at the dealer while looking around via email for the best price they could do yesterday but haven't heard back yet. Would you just submit an offer? What would you suggest? My wife is going to be pissed if someone else buys the car while I'm screwing around with pricing.

TIA!

Last edited:
I'd probably stop in and talk to them and see the car in person. Can you pay the difference in cash and skip the financing? That would be optimal. Car payments suck.

I thought I remember Mazda having some good rates when I was pondering for my youngest (2.9% special). Might not be on the CX-9, but PenFed used car rates are 6.79% at the lowest used car rates. If the dealer can give you their new car rate, could be a chunk lower.

We're shopping for a new (to her) car for my wife. We could downsize a bit at this point with one of the boys about to leave for college but she still wants an SUV with some type of third row so we can squeeze her mom in without too much trouble when we've got 5 in the car. She's currently driving a 2014 Buick Enclave that's starting to have a few problems and we want to get rid of. In the past she's had a 2005 Toyota Highlander and a Toyota Sienna. Right now it seems like she's settled on the Mazda CX-9 as a mid-sized SUV with a third row that's not too big.

We've found one at a local-ish dealer that is a 2023 Grand Touring that has just over 10k miles and it's life was as a lender car for dealership customers. So first thought was almost like a rental car, but on second thought, probably no one taking long trips or hard driving into NYC etc. Posted price is $34,500. We'll trade in the Buick and use a low interest car loan from our credit union for the rest. (No dealership financing). I haven't negotiated a car purchase in a while, how would you suggest approaching this?

CX-9's have been discontinued for the CX-90 line but there are not many around (we've looked) because it seems like most people buy out and keep them after lease, so supply/demand not on our side in this case. If we don't get this one, may have to search for a while again. I asked the salesman that we met at the dealer while looking around via email for the best price they could do yesterday but haven't heard back yet. Would you just submit an offer? What would you suggest? My wife is going to be pissed if someone else buys the car while I'm screwing around with pricing.

TIA!

Take your trade in to caravan and CarMax and get a quote for how much they will give you.

Take the higher of those in writing to the Mazda dealership.

Ask for them to match that offer and for them to knock 1k off the price.

You could probably do better, but in your case it sounds like your wife might get mad at you.

I thought I remember Mazda having some good rates when I was pondering for my youngest (2.9% special). Might not be on the CX-9, but PenFed used car rates are 6.79% at the lowest used car rates. If the dealer can give you their new car rate, could be a chunk lower.
No financing, will pay cash to dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread