What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car battery issue, help me diagnose this problem (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
2012 Ford Escape. Battery is 6 years old and, regardless of the current issue, we will be replacing this soon.
The problem..........every once in a while after sitting for about a day (maybe 3-4 times now) the battery will be completely dead. I mean DEAD. The key fob wont even unlock the door the battery is so dead. When I got to jump it, it wont even jump unless the other vehicle is hooked up for 10-15 minutes first. After jumping, it runs fine, no issues, nothing appears off. Starts right up every time. It will even sit for a couple days and still start up fine.
My thought is that something is obviously ON and drawing power while the car is sitting, but what, and why only every once in a while? However, we can not figure out what it is (if anything). If this were to happen every time then there would be an obvious problem, but it's only happened a few times.
No idea if this is an issue or not, it seems weird to me, but when you open the doors the headlights come on. They go off after 10-15 seconds or so, but I had always thought that was odd.
Also, I am not 100% on this, but the times the battery has been deal its POSSIBLE that the car was sitting UNLOCKED during that time. Is there anything that would be continuously drawing power from the battery while the car is unlocked but not when the car is locked? When the car sits UNLOCKED there are no lights on or anything, and no lights in the glove box or anywhere we wouldnt be able to see.
Not even sure where to go from here to diagnose, but I sure as heck dont wanna go spend 500 bucks at a Ford dealership for them to not help.

The battery is dead. It can't get enough juice to recharge enough. So when you drive it everyday it has enough charge but any longer and it's toast. You could put a multimeter on it to see if it's charging with the alternator but I don't think you need to bother

I just went through this actually with my 09 Traverse. It sat for a long time once my kid started driving I used it. Well wouldn't start, jumped it, was fine every day but I was only using it a couple times a week. Replaced battery and no issues

Definitely have it checked at autoparts store. Probably busted cell inside the battery it just can’t charge enough.

If not, had a neighbor whose brake pedal would somehow sag/stick, thus triggering the brake lights and run her battery down. Something’s either drawing power from somewhere or the battery is not charging when you run the car.

Yeah, replace it. You need a new battery. The other issue I've had with power and cars is when something is wrong with the alternator, but if it's charging while you're driving, that's highly unlikely to be the case. If it was the alternator, it would likely cut out while you were driving. That happened to me once in a terrible place to break down, but I won't bore anybody with the story.

Dead battery.

Yeah, replace it. You need a new battery. The other issue I've had with power and cars is when something is wrong with the alternator, but if it's charging while you're driving, that's highly unlikely to be the case. If it was the alternator, it would likely cut out while you were driving. That happened to me once in a terrible place to break down, but I won't bore anybody with the story.

Dead battery.
is the story boring?

and yeah 6 years is a good run. replace it.

Screw buying a new battery. That makes too much sense. Get a battery desulfantor and attach it to your battery for a day.

If it doesn't work, you've spent $30 and you have a decent trickle charger in the future.

Alternator is fine.
I want to identify a problem in case this is something that will keep happening.
As mentioned before the car has sat for 3-4 days in the winter and started no problem. Last night it sat like 14 hours and was 100% dead.

Edit....the car sitting for 3-4 days was in between this happening s few times.

Alternator is fine.
I want to identify a problem in case this is something that will keep happening.
As mentioned before the car has sat for 3-4 days in the winter and started no problem. Last night it sat like 14 hours and was 100% dead.

Everything you describe is what happens when a battery dies. Stop making excuses and get a new one. It shouldn't cost more than $150-$200 tops and you will be set for another 5-6 years.

Alternator is fine.

Everything you describe is what happens when a battery dies. Stop making excuses and get a new one. It shouldn't cost more than $150-$200 tops and you will be set for another 5-6 years.
This and if the new battery dies you'll be able to charge it easy and know something else but I doubt it. 6 years is a long time for a battery. And if for so e reason the new one dies and you cant start it you can just return it. Most have 12/24 month warranty

2012 Ford Escape. Battery is 6 years old and, regardless of the current issue, we will be replacing this soon.
The problem..........every once in a while after sitting for about a day (maybe 3-4 times now) the battery will be completely dead. I mean DEAD. The key fob wont even unlock the door the battery is so dead. When I got to jump it, it wont even jump unless the other vehicle is hooked up for 10-15 minutes first. After jumping, it runs fine, no issues, nothing appears off. Starts right up every time. It will even sit for a couple days and still start up fine.
My thought is that something is obviously ON and drawing power while the car is sitting, but what, and why only every once in a while? However, we can not figure out what it is (if anything). If this were to happen every time then there would be an obvious problem, but it's only happened a few times.
No idea if this is an issue or not, it seems weird to me, but when you open the doors the headlights come on. They go off after 10-15 seconds or so, but I had always thought that was odd. Normal
Also, I am not 100% on this, but the times the battery has been deal its POSSIBLE that the car was sitting UNLOCKED during that time. Is there anything that would be continuously drawing power from the battery while the car is unlocked but not when the car is locked? No When the car sits UNLOCKED there are no lights on or anything, and no lights in the glove box or anywhere we wouldnt be able to see.
Not even sure where to go from here to diagnose, Go to the nearest place and buy a battery. but I sure as heck dont wanna go spend 500 bucks at a Ford dealership for them to not help.
Answers inline.

Alternator is fine.

I haven't made any excuses. In fact, I said I am getting a new battery in the original post.

The most likely cause is a 6 year old battery. Replace it, then see if you have any other issues, rather than preemptively looking for some more obscure explanation for your vehicle’s problem.

Having just replaced batteries in two vehicles, I can assure you you’re not alone. Also, I highly recommend buying one of these.

Alternator is fine.

I haven't made any excuses. In fact, I said I am getting a new battery in the original post.
Can you please do this in the next hour or so? I'd like this resolved before I head to bed tonight.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Alternator is fine.

Can you please do this in the next hour or so? I'd like this resolved before I head to bed tonight.

I am having a difficult time believing this isn't shtick. I can barely put gas in my car and this seems ridiculously simple to me.

Alternator is fine.

Less posting and more battery replacing please!

Alternator is fine.

Less posting and more battery replacing please! With how smart you try to sound in other threads I'm having trouble believing your struggles with this.
If the car was in my possession I would. I already said I am.

Alternator is fine.

I am having a difficult time believing this isn't shtick. I can barely put gas in my car and this seems ridiculously simple to me.
Go shtick yourself

When I come back with the same problem after the new battery, I expect your mostest of sincerest apologies, groveling, and crow eating. And money. I want money.
The testers they use at O'Reilly will tell you. They can test the cold cranking amps and the amps while engine is running and tell you if it's within acceptable range. Or as someone suggested, you can do it yourself with a multimeter if you know the amp ranges to look for. A lot easier to do it at the parts place so they can either put your new battery in for you (and take the old one, to save you a trip back up there) or rule out the battery and alternator for you, then you'll have more info to research with.

I 34th it being the battery, but if you have a cell phone charger plugged in that could be contributing to the drain, especially if it’s one of those auxiliary ones that plugs into the cigarette lighter thing

When I come back with the same problem after the new battery, I expect your mostest of sincerest apologies, groveling, and crow eating. And money. I want money.
The testers they use at O'Reilly will tell you. They can test the cold cranking amps and the amps while engine is running and tell you if it's within acceptable range. Or as someone suggested, you can do it yourself with a multimeter if you know the amp ranges to look for. A lot easier to do it at the parts place so they can either put your new battery in for you (and take the old one, to save you a trip back up there) or rule out the battery and alternator for you, then you'll have more info to research with.
Battery with running alternator is 18.5-19.5 if I remember correctly

I did stop by mechanic earlier today. He recommended a new battery.......shocker.
However, everything tested good.

Battery that old you’re probably looking at some internal grid corrosion and have some small leakage between positive and negative, just trickling away over time.

Battery that old you’re probably looking at some internal grid corrosion and have some small leakage between positive and negative, just trickling away over time.
Is total random trickling normal in a case like this?
Okay—so you know how when you get a new cell phone—you might have to charge your phone like maybe once every two or three days. Once that same phone gets to be a year or two old—you might have to charge it every day. If you keep a cell phone for longer than a couple of years—often times you’ll have to charge that phone a couple times a day or more to keep it charged. Eventually—after several years—if you want to keep that phone—you’re going to have to replace the battery as it will no longer be able to hold a charge. It’s no different than a car battery. Six years is a really long life for a car battery. I end up having to replace mine every 3-4 years.

I am not trying to hijack, but why do you guys only get 3 to 6 years out of your car batteries? My current car is 4 years old and nothing, my last car was 11 years old and never had to change the battery. My husband's car is 7 years old and still has the original battery. His car before that was 12 years old and had the original battery. What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread