What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official FBG Politics Forum Census*** (1 Viewer)

Thanks to the 153 of you who filled out the survey.

Here are the results summarized into charts.

Among people who responded:

Our ages range from 17 to 72, with an average of 46.9.
We are 95.4% American, 94.1% White, and 96.1% Male.

We are pretty overwhelmingly anti-Trump (79.1% very unfavorable, just 5.9% very favorable).

Below are some Likert scales.
Note that the midpoint is not what you think. On a 1-10 scale, the midpoint is 5.5, not 5. On a 1-5 scale, the midpoint is 3, not 2.5.

Political spectrum: 4.23 / 10 (higher = further right)
Political interest: 4.09 / 5 (higher = greater interest)

Global Warming: 1.96 / 5 (higher = more skeptical)
Immigration: 3.23 / 5 (higher = fewer restrictions)
Minimum Wage: 3.57 / 5 (higher = higher minimum wage)
Gay Marriage: 4.68 / 5 (higher = should be legally recognized)
Feminism: 3.78 / 5 (higher = more favorable)
Basic Income: 3.29 / 5 (higher = more favorable)
Donald Trump: 1.54 / 5 (higher = more favorable)

I may run some correlations to see how, for example, support for a Basic Income varies with age... I will report back with anything interesting I find.
Pretty cool, thanks. :thumbup:

One interesting stat -- 41.3% of us identify as atheists. I think the national figure is usually between 3% and 11%. (Here's 3.1% in a 2014 Pew poll.) Another 24% of us are agnostic, bringing the total of atheists and agnostics to over 65%. That seems like a pretty big outlier even after controlling for the more predictable ways in which we differ from the rest of the nation (sex, race, etc.).

One interesting stat -- 41.3% of us identify as atheists. I think the national figure is usually between 3% and 11%. (Here's 3.1% in a 2014 Pew poll.) Another 24% of us are agnostic, bringing the total of atheists and agnostics to over 65%. That seems like a pretty big outlier even after controlling for the more predictable ways in which we differ from the rest of the nation (sex, race, etc.).
:gruntsthoughtfully: I wonder how much, if any, all of those results would shift rightward if you could get a meaningful number of non-PSF FBGs to participate.

That is really interesting 

Which of those were far left? I’m genuinely curious how you come to that conclusion based on those results and the questions asked.
Basic Income and minimum wage have the clearest left-right implication, others are somewhat up for digging deeper into how the government should respond.  By far-left, I mean the population leans pretty heavily left.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Actual positions seem to lean pretty far left.  Self-assessment is more center-left.
When I get around to it, I'll weight the responses by posting frequencies. It's possible that the ratio of posting to lurking is higher among people who lean left (or right), which would mean that the board effectively leans more left than the raw answers would indicate (or vice versa).

These numbers stuck out to me also, particularly the size of the “atheist and not spiritual” cohort.

When I get around to it, I'll weight the responses by posting frequencies. It's possible that the ratio of posting to lurking is higher among people who lean left (or right), which would mean that the board effectively leans more left than the raw answers would indicate (or vice versa).
This forum is openly hostile toward right-leaning ideas/posters.   Many are intimidated from posting.   

Basic Income and minimum wage have the clearest left-right implication, others are somewhat up for digging deeper into how the government should respond.  By far-left, I mean the population leans pretty heavily left.  
And those skewed not far over the middle ground.

:gruntsthoughtfully: I wonder how much, if any, all of those results would shift rightward if you could get a meaningful number of non-PSF FBGs to participate.
That’s also interesting. I would expect a significant rightward shift based only on what I’ve observed in the FFA and SP (based on assumptions from posts that is).

Charlie:  What are you writing?... What the heck is this? "Serious Injury List"? *Serious* injury list? Are you hecking kidding me?

Raymond:  Number eighteen in 1988, Charlie Babbitt squeezed and pulled and hurt my neck in 1988.

Charlie:  Squeezed and pulled and hurt your neck in 1988?

This forum is openly hostile toward right-leaning ideas/posters.   Many are intimidated from posting.   
It's a message board. I don't get this view at all. Speak your mind I've seen hostility towards obvious trolls on the right but not towards legitimate thoughtful posts.

It's a message board. I don't get this view at all. Speak your mind I've seen hostility towards obvious trolls on the right but not towards legitimate thoughtful posts.
You want to know why that is so funny.   You really don't, because you don't really care and I can't sway you out of your tunnel vision beliefs.  Let's go all the way back to say, to maybe yesterday.   I am labeled a sub-human not worthy of the respect of a normal human being because I think the left overblows and gives far too much attention to the threat from right-wing extremism in America.   

I rationally supported the argument explaining how big this country is, explanning how hundreds of thousands of people die from falls, tens of thousands die in auto wrecks, about 10,000 are murdered, etc.  50 killings by right-wing extremists while tragic is not all that big in a country this size, and even detailed how that 50 number is dubious on how it was arrived and presented. 

But no, in this forum I am sub-human not worthy of respect, and in your words a troll with no thoughtful or legitimate viewpoint.  My arguements were in depth and thoughtful and we'll supported by legitimate facts.  But the left-wing echo chamber mob supported and covered for by the moderators do not see it that way.  That is why  :lmao: ...but you really don't want to hear that, so I just gave you a lol to save you from having to face the truth which you will surely mock as the actual troll.

You want to know why that is so funny.   You really don't, because you don't really care and I can't sway you out of your tunnel vision beliefs.  Let's go all the way back to say, to maybe yesterday.   I am labeled a sub-human not worthy of the respect of a normal human being because I think the left overblows and gives far too much attention to the threat from right-wing extremism in America.   

I rationally supported the argument explaining how big this country is, explanning how hundreds of thousands of people die from falls, tens of thousands die in auto wrecks, about 10,000 are murdered, etc.  50 killings by right-wing extremists while tragic is not all that big in a country this size, and even detailed how that 50 number is dubious on how it was arrived and presented. 

But no, in this forum I am sub-human not worthy of respect, and in your words a troll with no thoughtful or legitimate viewpoint.  My arguements were in depth and thoughtful and we'll supported by legitimate facts.  But the left-wing echo chamber mob supported and covered for by the moderators do not see it that way.  That is why  :lmao: ...but you really don't want to hear that, so I just gave you a lol to save you from having to face the truth which you will surely mock as the actual troll.
Didn't see that conversation but I could see how someone could take your argument as trolling. I probably wouldn't and I wouldn't label you in particular as a troll or subhuman. There are some on here though who are obvious with their trolling.

Didn't see that conversation but I could see how someone could take your argument as trolling. I probably wouldn't and I wouldn't label you in particular as a troll or subhuman. There are some on here though who are obvious with their trolling.
At least thanks for that. 

I'm one of the lurkers/once a week at best posters. The reason for the lack of posting is the uber strict/unclear guidelines resulting in bannings. I see some people get banned while others troll/mock/not excellent to others and get away with it. This forum is a heavy left leaning board. With both moderation and posting members. The slant to the left isn't an issue, the lack of consistency and balance is. 

This board has some extremely competent and knowledgeable individuals. It also has castoffs and known trolls from other forums. The known trolls make this an undesirable place to engage in a serious discussion. Almost every thread is ruined by 5-6 posters, yet they are allowed to stay. 

As a lurker, and only that, those handful of posters are what is driving others away from engaging. 

Thanks.

Jesus, again. Every. single. thread.

ONCE AGAIN THE NARCISSIST MAKES IT ALL ABOUT HIMSELF AND ANOTHER THREAD IS RUINED.

Put him on ignore - he’s not worth it and many of us are tired of his martyr complex - it’s pathetic.  Even if he were right no one wants to hear constantly from the kid who is whining.

Could we keep the i-fighting out of this thread?

Many people are saying 

why anyone replies is mind-bottling. 

wow.

hats off

a true champion

It is the typical cyber bullying which goes on in this forum on a daily basis.  Of course all these posts get lots of likes from the mob.  Nothing but of bunch of group-think mob-rule non-sense who uses their numbers so they can mock alternative viewpoints and feel superior.   

Your usual whine started it:

By the way, your conclusion (that many are intimidated from posting) does not follow from the data MT posted
That is just an opinion shared by many, many of whom avoid the PSF like the plague.  MT's data would not capture the open hostility nor the actual leanings of members.  It may or may not caputure who actually posts here, as it could include numerous lurkers.  What is does capture is a self-assessment of the members who responded.  My conclustions are well supported by the number of people who actively mock me and other posters on the right on virtually every thread in this forum when I simply state my opinion on a matter, as this thread also clearly shows.

Maurile Tremblay said:
That's about what I would have expected.

For a couple of reasons.

#1. Anonymity is a huge factor. In lots of ways. In this instance, it's a factor in being honest. I'm not sure of the methodology of the Pew Polls but I'd guess there is less (at least perceived) anonymity. 

#2. Overall, I think we've done a pretty fair job of trying to be cool to each other and encourage different voices. I am bummed I haven't been able to do it with politics. While I don't think it's as bad as jon thinks but it's not good either. But we can get better there. 

I know "safe places" are made fun of, but the reality is I think it's a good thing to have a forum where people can discuss ideas and be heard. I've always tried to encourage a spectrum of ideas.

I'm sure there's stuff to unpack here with me as (hopefully) a pretty open Christian hosting a board that's for whatever reason built a community that's 40+% self-identified as Athiests. I think most all of what we'd unpack there is good. 

Thanks for doing this MT. 

We get it @jon_mx . I get it. I've said so many times. You get a lot of not being excellent here. You also have some part in that as you give some not being excellent too.

This thread can be a good example. You made your point. Now please drop it. 

I want us all to be cooler here. And for everyone, that starts with themselves. 

#1. Anonymity is a huge factor. In lots of ways. In this instance, it's a factor in being honest. I'm not sure of the methodology of the Pew Polls but I'd guess there is less (at least perceived) anonymity. 
Sometimes I wonder about this anonymity thing. It works for me, I'll pop off about almost anything, even if my views are in the distinct minority. But you have numerous posters here who claim that they won't say unpopular things here because of criticism. Take it one step further, we have an acknowledged syndrome of Trump voters lying to pollsters about their intentions to vote for him. That's so bizarre that I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea two years later. 

Users who are viewing this thread