What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYC FBGs/those who have seen him -- insight on Billy Joel @ MSG (1 Viewer)

Looking to arrange a fantastic get-away for my mother to celebrate a milestone birthday. She is a huge Billy Joel fan, and seeing him live has been on her bucket list forever.

With Joel's "residency" @ Madison Square Gardens, wanted to see if any of you have actually seen him there, and what seating configurations were like so I can think about getting the best seats available. Want to index towards the best experience possible, price no object. Was referencing this map of MSG for sections/layout.

As I understand it (and see online through photos, YT vids, comments, etc.) he plays on a circular elevated stage that rotates, maximizing visibility. Trying to decide between seats close to the side of the stage down low (sections 109/110 or 114/115) that provide the stadium seat experience, and those on the floor, middle B section towards the front.

Has anyone here attended the concert @ MSG and can give insight on where they think the best location might be (either of the above or something different)?

My mother is in her 70s, and while vibrant and fit, I imagine most people stand during the whole concert -- was that the case? Do people on the floor also move up in front of the stage to dance? My thinking here is that center floor seats in the first 10 rows may be good, but don't know how sightlines would work if people stand/dance throughout. 

Is there a row on the floor that's TOO far forward given the elevated stage?

As to the side seats, they may be a better option sightline-wise, but given rotating stage, will there be a portion of the concert where Joel becomes less visible? Similarly, are there rows beyond the first few where it may become more preferable to have floor seats.

Is the back of the stage even a good option? Are there screens that display the show other than the scoreboard that hangs from the center of the roof that I need to take into account? Anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Was just there 2 weeks ago for the 2/14 show.

I sat in 104 about 17 rows up.

A few notes for you,

Floor seats are not rows, very level. Unless you are front and center i would avoid floor seats.

Only his piano is rotating, not the whole stage.

I did like seeing the stage from the front to get the experience of the stage but its not a mindblowing view.

I told my wife next time i would fine with behind the stage (you wouldn't see the screen but would be very close to him) for a better price. In your case i would go towards the sides.

I think 106,7,8 amd the opposites are the best

In my section not that much standing til the more upbeat songs came on.

There were other screens aside from main stage which would at times just ahow him performing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I saw him at MSG last year when we were on vacation, had floor section A in the 12th row.

We stood the whole time as you surmised most people on the floor would do. No issues with visibility from where we were. Great show, highly recommend.

Ive heard shows are awesome from the chase bridge. Havent seen one from there personally

Awesome feedback so far, thanks so much -- one of the things I love about this board is how responsive and informative you all are, very much appreciate this and any other additional insight!

@AcerFC - what is this chase bridge of which you speak?

Awesome feedback so far, thanks so much -- one of the things I love about this board is how responsive and informative you all are, very much appreciate this and any other additional insight!

@AcerFC - what is this chase bridge of which you speak?
When they redid the garden a few years ago they built two rows of seats overlooking the floor. Think of it like an extension of seats above and over from all the other sections. My wife saw Pink and said it was awesome in that section. 

Thanks for the incredible insight -- great to hear the performance lived up to expectations! 

Where are these screens located?
These are the still picks i have on my phone.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1pZT9z9

You can see 1 of the TVs on the top left.

This was section 104

How many people are you getting tix for?

What date you have in mind?

These are the still picks i have on my phone.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1pZT9z9

You can see 1 of the TVs on the top left.

This was section 104

How many people are you getting tix for?

What date you have in mind?
Awesome pic, and a phenomenal visual answer to the question of the video screens, thanks for sharing!

Just looking for tix for 2, final date tbd but I think it will be the May date he has slated.

I’ve seen him there 4 times. He always or usually has a special guest come out and perform a song with him. My personal favorite was Highway to Hell. 

If floor seats, only A, B or C. Otherwise 107/108/116/117.

Best to wait last minute to buy the tickets. You can email them to your mom right before the concert. They fall like rocks 2-3 hours before the show. He’s got one coming up in like 2 weeks. Check the prices now and watch them the day before and day of show for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread