What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remembering The Iraq War (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
@NCCommish mentioned in the Survey thread how he remembered his opinion on opposing the Iraq War causing him to be vilified here.

I admittedly don't have a great recall but I don't remember us being that way. My recollection was much more that my congressman John Duncan, one of the more prominent Republicans in the House voted against it and how I was proud of him. 

How do you guys remember it?

Here's a recent article with him talking a bit about it.

WASHINGTON — Rep. John J. Duncan Jr. thought he was probably ending his political career when he pressed the “no” button and voted against going to war with Iraq.

Sixteen years later, the Knoxville Republican will leave Congress on his own terms.

Duncan, one of only seven Republicans to vote against the Iraq War and the only one of those seven still in office, announced last week that he will not seek re-election next year.

The soft-spoken, mild-mannered Tennessean’s decision to defy his own party, and the wishes of many of his constituents, and oppose what he considered an unnecessary conflict was the defining moment of his nearly 30-year career in politics. Outside of his home state, it’s the thing he will be most remembered for when he leaves office.

To this day, Duncan is convinced he made the right call, even though he suffered years of fallout over his vote.

“What I’ve noticed over the years is so many people who haven’t served in the military, they seem to have this real strong desire to prove how tough they are and prove their patriotism,” Duncan said. “I just thought back then, and I think now, that we shouldn’t be so eager to go to war.

“So many people in Washington want to be Winston Churchills, and they seem to want to turn any world leader they possibly can into a new Hitler,” he said. “Most of the time that’s not really true.”

Duncan’s skepticism about the war was rooted to some degree in the first Persian Gulf War a decade earlier. He had supported that war because he and other members of Congress had been told that Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was a dangerous threat to the United States. But not long after the war started, he started to believe the threat had been exaggerated when Hussein’s elite troops began surrendering in droves.

Duncan had the same doubts when then-President George W. Bush began the march toward a second war with Iraq in 2002.

The White House knew Duncan was on the fence, so Bush’s top advisers called him and two other undecided Republicans into a meeting.

In a secure, windowless room in the White House basement, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, CIA Director George Tenet and Tenet’s deputy director, John McLaughlin, laid out the case for war. They showed the wavering lawmakers aerial photos of buildings and trucks in the desert, argued that most Iranians hated Hussein and would be glad to see him go, and insisted war was inevitable to preserve national security.

Duncan left that briefing still not convinced that Iraq posed an imminent threat.

A month later, the House voted 296-133 to go to war. Early the next morning, the Senate approved the war resolution on a 77-23 vote. Only seven Republicans — six in the House, one in the Senate — voted against the war.

Six of those seven would go on to lose their races for re-election or would eventually retire from Congress. Duncan, though, remained in office and never drew a serious challenger.

He did, however, face repercussions from his vote. Constituents would stop him on the street and tell him he’d disappointed them. A Baptist preacher withdrew an invitation for him to deliver a Sunday lay sermon after one of the deacons threatened to leave the church if the congressman was allowed to speak.

“For three or four years, it was clearly the most unpopular vote I had ever cast,” Duncan said.

Public opinion on the war — and on Duncan’s vote — gradually shifted as the conflict dragged on.“It slowly became the most popular vote I have ever cast,” Duncan said. “I think to this day, it still is.”

It was pretty intense early on. And I picked up a couple of stalkers during that time. I was called many names. But I was also a bit of a lightning rod as I wasn't shy about being in the conversation.  As I mentioned I knew I was putting myself out there and there would be backlash.

I remember being opposed for probably less than the right reasons. I was pretty invested in it having young sons and also being worried about how it would affect our boat business that was still getting off the ground. Looking back, it's a different view than it was as it was happening. As it was happening, you didn't know it wasn't going to be another Vietnam. 

I remember having arguments with friends and relatives who basically said, "Even if Saddam doesn't have WMDs, we should still invade because he supports terrorism by not denouncing it when it happens." :loco:

I remember having arguments with friends and relatives who basically said, "Even if Saddam doesn't have WMDs, we should still invade because he supports terrorism by not denouncing it when it happens." :loco:
I remember those too. 

I remember thinking, Hussein seems like a bad guy. But what are we going to get if he's gone?

They pulled down that statue of Saddam and flew a banner that said “mission accomplished” and it was over fairly fast. 

It was pretty bad in here.  And I wasn't on the "opposed side" but the "what changed" since we decided that removing Saddam would destabilize the region.  So I didn't catch much of the animosity, just watched others take it.  (9-11 was the answer, given to my question but it didn't really answer the question.)

Of course a lot of people who were here then aren't here now. I look around and I think about the people I started on this board with and there aren't a lot of them left. I started not too long after you had a forum before there was, was it the free-for-all then ? I don't remember. I just remember my first thread I got into was a hundred page thread on evolution and there were deniers on one side and then there was those of us on the other side including MT. He was bringing it. And it was awesome. I've always enjoyed it here. Even when things were tough. This is my online home even though I'm a bit of a part-timer now.

In general we've gotten a lot older well I know I have and I really think if you try to not be trollish you get a lot more of a break now than you used to and like I said I say that as someone who has been here almost since the beginning. I definitely don't think this is the worst it's ever been not even close.

I remember those too. 

I remember thinking, Hussein seems like a bad guy. But what are we going to get if he's gone?
Which was one of the points those opposed were making here. What's the end game? There never was one. You can't coerce democracy into existence and nature abhors a vacuum. 

One of my senators, Bob Graham, voted against the war because he thought it would distract from the real war on terror and take resources from Afghanistan.

From wikipedia: "Graham described the Senate Intelligence Committee meeting with Tenet as "the turning point in our attitude towards Tenet and our understanding of how the intelligence community has become so submissive to the desires of the administration. The administration wasn't using intelligence to inform their judgment; they were using intelligence as part of a public relations campaign to justify their judgment."

I was here then and I was on the wrong side of those debates. I was appalled by Saddam's brutalization of his own people and still emotional about 9-11 -- I thought we had to support the administration. Posters like MT and NCC started me on a different path about that time, though.

NCC, if I was rotten to you back then, know that I'm sorry for it and that your stand had a profound effect on a much younger and dumber roadkill.

I definitely don't think this is the worst it's ever been not even close.
Back then it was hard because it was generally one opinion against another with little information about fora one formed that opinion. Now that's not a problem and sources are known and the sources have a track record of being good or bad. It's tough to hide in today's world. You better do a good job of explaining yours position or be ready to change it when new facts are presented. Its this last part that some seem to struggle with. If it's perceived as worse now its usually by those who struggle in this area. 

I wasn’t around in this forum. But I was unsure (my usual stance.) I couldn’t decide. About two years into it I decided that it had been a stupid idea. But I can’t take any credit for being against it from the beginning.

What always struck me about that war is how quickly conservatives turned against George W Bush. One minute he’s their darling, the next he’s not even invited to the convention (and in 2008, while he was still President, he barely got mentioned.) Now a lot of these same people act like they never voted for him. 

I remember having to be careful when expressing (or even discussing) an opinion that dissented from full military intervention in the lead up to the 2nd Iraq war. Emotions were high, and frankly, unstable after 9/11 which is understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:
My recollection was much more that my congressman John Duncan, one of the more prominent Republicans in the House voted against it and how I was proud of him. 
Love these guys.  Voting your conscious for the right reasons and be proved right down the road despite it being unpopular must feel fantastic.

Senator Dorgan's speech against repealing Glass-Steagall is the one I always remember.  He didn't live to see how right he was, but he nailed it.

Love these guys.  Voting your conscious for the right reasons and be proved right down the road despite it being unpopular must feel fantastic.

Senator Dorgan's speech against repealing Glass-Steagall is the one I always remember.  He didn't live to see how right he was, but he nailed it.
And Dorgan nailed the timeline almost perfectly. 

What always struck me about that war is how quickly conservatives turned against George W Bush. One minute he’s their darling, the next he’s not even invited to the convention (and in 2008, while he was still President, he barely got mentioned.) Now a lot of these same people act like they never voted for him. 
2005 was a pretty bad year for W.

Users who are viewing this thread