What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garage/yard sales and whatnot (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
Currently thinning out all the infant/baby/toddler/misc stuff we don't need any more, along with just some general stuff in storage we don't need.  Wow, what a painful, tedious, mindbottling, and frustrating process.

Wife does not want to throw anything away, wants far too much money for every single item.  Selling most everything on Facebook classifieds.  Wasting too much time

Before this process I told my wife I will work an overtime shift and give her all the money if she lets me just get rid of everything as I see fit, which would be to sell the few things that I know would actually sell and just give away the rest to goodwill.   She rejected that idea.  So here we are with our entire basement set up like an indoor yard sale, have put a dozen man hours into cleaning and sorting items, and a couple more hours tending to online adds.  

We have made 70 bucks so far selling the exact items I would have actually tried to sell, and I am betting we end up donating all the rest after about 3-4 more days of stuff sitting out with people not responding to our adds.

I pretended to sell an enormous hutch (it belonged to my wife's grandparents) to someone on LetGo for $60. It was taking up too much room in my garage and couldn't park my car. I actually gave it to the first person that could haul it away, then I handed my wife $60 of my own money. Small price to pay for a covered parking space.

I pretended to sell an enormous hutch (it belonged to my wife's grandparents) to someone on LetGo for $60. It was taking up too much room in my garage and couldn't park my car. I actually gave it to the first person that could haul it away, then I handed my wife $60 of my own money. Small price to pay for a covered parking space.
This type of thinking was in my head before we even started cleaning out the spare room.  We dont really have any large bulk items except for a couple crappy bookshelves that I know nobody would want, and I have already put them in my shed for my next random night time fire.  

:lmao: at you thinking that your wife will donate the rest of the stuff in a few days. Hope you like all that stuff right where it is in the basement!
She has already taken a few bags of stuff to goodwill, so I am holding out a LITTLE hope this mess just all goes away within the next couple weeks.

She is more likely to give things away to people we know who have little kids.  Problem is, we don't know too many people with little kids any more.  

I am amazed at how much stuff we have that I know cost a lot when we bought it, is still in excellent condition, but we can't sell for peanuts.  Stuff like build a bear, shopkins, minecraft.......all stuff that costs like 5, 10, 25, bucks for each little thing, and we would be lucky to get 5, 10, 25 cents for it now.  Wow, what a waste of money.  

Fortunately with our 2nd child I convinced my wife to NOT buy stuff like this and let other people buy it for birthdays and christmas.  Instead we have bought a lot of cheap stuff for the kids to play with like paper, cups, mega blocks, and then kept any boxes we accumulated to use for play.  Saved a crap ton of money this way.  

I bought my way out of the last two garage sales the wife wanted to do.  

Cash and the absolute refusal to help will work....

Keep up the good fight, GB. Space is worth so much more than crap, and pretty much any price is probably worth it to avoid spending precious weekend hours sitting in your front yard dealing with strangers rummaging through your crap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We could invite your wife to my MIL's house.  She died a couple of months ago.  As far as I can tell, she never threw ANYTHING out (other than obvious trash).  I found a receipt for a razor MR R bought in 1985.  If something said "keep for your records", she did.  Ghaa.

I’ve found that the Facebook marketplace app works great for selling random garbage. Unloaded almost 1k worth of stuff since we moved a month ago. Sure you have randos coming to your house but I just meet them out front with whatever it is. 

I live in a 2 BR apt right outside NYC, and we have a 2 year old and plans for another within the next couple years. There have been so many "let's keep this for baby #2" things that I have just tossed if we didn't have someone we could pass it on to quickly. I'd rather spend $1K (or whatever, could be more, could be less) buying everything again than having all of that #### take up very precious storage space for years until it's needed again.

Good move..hutches are difficult to even give away now. 

I’ve found that the Facebook marketplace app works great for selling random garbage. Unloaded almost 1k worth of stuff since we moved a month ago. Sure you have randos coming to your house but I just meet them out front with whatever it is. 
Agree..I sold my daughters car in one day on Marketplace.  I had it sitting in a grocery store lot for 2 weekends and had 2 calls.  First day on marketplace I have over 20 messages.

Currently thinning out all the infant/baby/toddler/misc stuff we don't need any more, along with just some general stuff in storage we don't need.  Wow, what a painful, tedious, mindbottling, and frustrating process.

Wife does not want to throw anything away, wants far too much money for every single item.  Selling most everything on Facebook classifieds.  Wasting too much time

Before this process I told my wife I will work an overtime shift and give her all the money if she lets me just get rid of everything as I see fit, which would be to sell the few things that I know would actually sell and just give away the rest to goodwill.   She rejected that idea.  So here we are with our entire basement set up like an indoor yard sale, have put a dozen man hours into cleaning and sorting items, and a couple more hours tending to online adds.  

We have made 70 bucks so far selling the exact items I would have actually tried to sell, and I am betting we end up donating all the rest after about 3-4 more days of stuff sitting out with people not responding to our adds.
:lmao: there oughta be a support group

the amount of time, aggravation, frustration and stress my wife went through before the first post-baby rummage sale was unbelievable. i wasn't allowed anywhere near anything other than setting up tables and collecting money from customers.

the amount she spent on display tables, hangers, t-shirt bags, tape, etc. probably halved the profit. and the number of hours spent washing, sorting, classifying and pricing was truly stupefying. 

gotta squeeze that last 50 cents out of a stained onesie if it kills them, i guess.

Used to work with a guy that would tell his wife he was donating their worthless, unwanted stuff to "Joe's Church" (we worked with a guy named Joe). Really he would just throw it all out in the dumpster at work and we'd all have a good laff.

We had a bunch of items piling up that I just wanted out of my garage. Stuff that we had just basically bought new/different versions of and didn't need anymore. The wife "Let's have another garage sale"  Forget that noise, I put it all out in the driveway this morning with a big free sign. It is amazing how quick people respond to "free". Granted it was some decent stuff--lawnmower, two end tables, a grill,  weed eater, etc...but wow, they didn't last two hours out there. Of course. the wife is like "See, we could have received some money for these items."  :wall:

Don't let her put the stuff into storage.  I paid for a storage unit for a little over two years that was just baby stuff, baby clothes, playpen, diaper trash can, car seat, etc. etc..  It was supposed to be "temporary" but I forgot about the day the stuff was finally out of my house.  My wife was supposed to find a home for it but never did. It was only when I had to use my personal credit card for work expenses one month that I noticed this recurring charge of $68.99.  26 payments I made for that stuff that couldn't be given away now. 

:wall:   :wall:   :wall:  

Users who are viewing this thread