What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump on "Very Fine People" on both sides (1 Viewer)

Sometimes a man is required to stand alone, and sometimes it only appears that way, his support less than evident at the time.  The mark of a man is to maintain his stand, not out of pigheadedness, but principle.  Good for you taking your stand.  I do not agree with it, but it does not offend me and I see no harm in you taking a harder line on the subject than do I.  good for you.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the Commish. But he’s not exactly being Gary Cooper in High Noon here. 

Telling me I'm wrong to think it's disgusting is what you will make of it I suppose.  They aren't my words, so I can't say with 100% certainty.  I can only go by context like below and guess.

I don't know the distinction trying to be made here.  I can make an argument here that joking might be worse as it enables the culture where sexual assault flourishes in the first place, but that's not going to go over well if saying joking about it is disgusting gets this sort of reaction....as I said, I'm good standing on that island.  I'm not changing anyone's mind.  Attempting to was never my desire.  Honestly, I thought it was one of my less controversial statements on these boards.  Didn't think it'd get that sort of pushback.
I'm lucky enough to have never been sexually assaulted.

At least I don't think I have. There was one time I woke up at the dentist with my shirt untucked, and I can't remember if I was tucked or not when I sat in the the chair. (This was a Seinfeld episode in case you didn't know)

Now, are you going to tell me that this is as equally disgusting to you as an actual sexual assault?

So the words you typed aren't what you meant.  Its probably just easier to say that unless you were under the impression that I was a mind reader.  For future reference, I am not.
Dude the entire conversation was based on you saying equally disgusting.  Then you move the goalposts to say disgusting and start going on the attack.  The discussion is right there on the previous page.  No one joked about sexual assault or said it wasn’t disgusting 

Dude the entire conversation was based on you saying equally disgusting.  Then you move the goalposts to say disgusting and start going on the attack.  The discussion is right there on the previous page.  No one joked about sexual assault or said it wasn’t disgusting 
No...it was joked about then the post was altered....ask John B for the details :shrug:  

And my only assertion in the entire line was that I felt the people who joked about sexual assault were as equally disgusting as those who committed it as well as those who reported it falsely.  Again, I'm ok with being on that island.  Its not my problem if people don't think joking about it is on par with the other two nor do I begrudge them that opinion.  I simply disagree.

No...it was joked about then the post was altered....ask John B for the details :shrug:  

And my only assertion in the entire line was that I felt the people who joked about sexual assault were as equally disgusting as those who committed it as well as those who reported it falsely.  Again, I'm ok with being on that island.  Its not my problem if people don't think joking about it is on par with the other two nor do I begrudge them that opinion.  I simply disagree.
Welcome to the Semantic Trap.

Rather than debate the merits of a particular topic, there is a certain sub-group of posters whose go-to move is to pounce upon a grammatical error or some other semantical anomaly. Your big mistake was allowing them to drag you into the muck with them. All it does is derail the thread, especially when many of those users are already on the ignore lists of other contributors to this forum.

Your best move is to simply not engage. Their attempts at a gotcha moment will eventually fade into the ether like so many yipping lapdogs.

Rather than debate the merits of a particular topic, there is a certain sub-group of posters whose go-to move is to pounce upon a grammatical error or some other semantical anomaly. Your big mistake was allowing them to drag you into the muck with them. All it does is derail the thread, especially when many of those users are already on the ignore lists of other contributors to this forum.

Your best move is to simply not engage. Their attempts at a gotcha moment will eventually fade into the ether like so many yipping lapdogs.
This made me bust a gut.

Actually....RW is correct.  My first comment mentioned equality, and I stand by that.  I also made a comment that it was absolutely disgusting to joke about it and was told I was "wrong" with that comment too.  So if he didn't see the initial comment I was responding too, the confusion makes sense.  I stand by both statements though.  Those who joke about it make me want to vomit.  Full Stop.  Joking about it creates an environment for it to exist.  Full stop.  I don't have a problem being on that island.  But I am not going to allow the situation to be twisted.  Hopefully this quick summary is the end of it.

If I was sure it was true, yes. 

I didn’t vote for either Trump or Bill Clinton, ever, so this question never came up. But I refused to vote for Arnold Schwarzenegger the second time around over this issue. With regard to Biden, all I know is that he touches women a little too fondly, I don’t care about that. 

I am however a hypocrite when it comes to sports. I have spent several years of my life rooting hard for Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger, two men accused of terrible behavior with women. I am unable to offer a satisfactory explanation. 
Tribalism.  It works in sports, politics, social groups, etc. in much the same manner.  It’s just harder to make excuses for it when it’s just sports.

Users who are viewing this thread