What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Diontae Johnson, CAR (6 Viewers)

So, 38 targets in 3 games. That's some high-end WR1 usage.
And even before yesterday when he had not played in almost 60% of their games and was 2 targets from the team lead entering the game yesterday should have been a pretty good sign to people his place in the pecking order was secure but you'd sure not know that by reading this thread.

QB's love WR's who can get open consistently and quickly and when you can do that and have strong YAC skills it's a recipe for success, his breakout was an easy call he just had some unfortunate injuries.

I've started Johnson twice this year, gotten 1.7 total points. That scared me into Claypool over Johnson this week, got 0.8. 

I guess I'm back to Johnson this week. Beware, I have no idea what I'm doing.
I've done exactly the same, although I think I started Diontae in week 2 at least. Fantasy is great.

Offered Julio for DJ and a 2021 mid-2nd in a dynasty empire.    I've enjoyed the ride, but thinking I might need to consider cashing in the chips.

Diontae Johnson (toe) did not practice on Wednesday.

Johnson left Sunday's game against the Titans after 15 targets, limping off with trainers. He just returned from a back injury that kept him out for Week 6. A massive game against the Ravens is in store on Sunday, and the Steelers are obviously better with their top target on the field. Continue to monitor the injury reports each day this week.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:19 PM ET

Sorry, I worded that poorly.   I was offered Julio in exchange for Johnson and what should be a mid/late 2nd.   I mention this because the offer came from a very credible owner at the top of the standings.  It gives some context just how high Johnson's stock has climbed.  This wasn't an automatic for me, but I ultimately decided to take Ju-Jones and run.   Empire league, so over/under for its lifespan is 3.5 years.   My WR stable probably had a brighter future than present due to all of the early season injuries.   I'd be lying if I said that the early injury exits didn't have me a little spooked off.  With that said, DJ and Julio will be two ships passing in the night in the near future if he keeps getting peppered with 15 targets and can stay on the field.         

CBS..

Diontae Johnson WR | PIT

Steelers' Diontae Johnson: Aiming to practice Thursday

(27 mins ago) Johnson (ankle) told Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he intends to take the practice field Thursday.

Johnson is coming off one of his best fantasy performances of the season with two touchdowns Week 7 against Tennessee, but the injury bug bit again and he was forced to leave the contest early. The second-year wideout proceeded to begin the week with a missed practice session, but it seems he intends to be back out there Thursday, which would only increase his chances of getting to suit up for a key divisional matchup Week 8 in Baltimore.

Seems like Johnson is going to be iffy to play most weeks if not every week.   There are many of those players and many of us have a few of them on our rosters.   Makes setting line ups just a bit more challenging.  

Diontae Johnson (toe) returned to Steelers practice on Thursday, getting in a "full" session. 

The Steelers will probably ration Johnson's practice reps for the remainder of the season following his variety of early-year ailments. The Ravens are a tough Week 8 matchup, but Johnson draws 10-plus targets every time he's healthy. He's a locked-in, if low-end, WR2. 

Oct 29, 2020, 7:57 PM ET

Seems like Johnson is going to be iffy to play most weeks if not every week.   There are many of those players and many of us have a few of them on our rosters.   Makes setting line ups just a bit more challenging.  
The guy is in his 2nd year in a violent contact sport, let's relax and pump the brakes a bit for now and see how this evolves.

The guy is in his 2nd year in a violent contact sport, let's relax and pump the brakes a bit for now and see how this evolves.
Nah bro. He's been hurt his entire career. I mean we're looking at a 23 game sample where he's been banged up and we're looking at game 24 where he's.........banged up. 

He's still a low end WR2 or high end WR3 so he's been a nice hit considering his cost. In order to make a leap into top 15ish territory he'd have to consistently play 15-16 games "not banged up". Some posters itt think he can do it and others are highly skeptical. I'm in the skeptical group at this point. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Next year when JuJu is playing in DC or NY (he'll follow the money) Diontae and Claypool are going to both hit 2000 yards. New NFL record. You heard it here first ;)
About the worst thing that could happen for all of us is if JuJu takes a hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh which he has apparently said in the past that he’d consider because he loves the franchise and the town. 

About the worst thing that could happen for all of us is if JuJu takes a hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh which he has apparently said in the past that he’d consider because he loves the franchise and the town. 
If Claypool continues to ascend and Ben peppers Diontae with double digit targets I doubt JuJu wants to come back to be the 3rd option...could be wrong, but betting he'd rather be higher on the food chain and make more money elsewhere....

That or Ben retires...

I used to think this but Diontae Johnson is crushing when JuJu is playing. He's already passed him. 

DIONTAE JOHNSON WR, PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Steelers declared QB Joshua Dobbs, DB Mike Hilton, DB Jordan Dangerfield, LB Ulysees Gilbert, DL Carlos Davis, OT Derwin Gray, and TE Zach Gentry inactive for Week 8 against the Ravens. 

There was some concern about Johnson's lingering toe injury after he missed Wednesday's practice, but he returned to action Thursday and got on track to suit up for Week 8. He has a team-leading 22 percent target share this season despite missing a game and parts of others. 

Nov 1, 2020, 11:37 AM ET

Now sweating a game vs a guy that started Edelman, Hooper and Sanders
I love when people are on top of their teams. My dynasty opponent WOULD NOT TRADE NEVER for a QB this week even though his only viable one is on bye.

So, I likely win. Problem is, his refusal just makes it easier for him to tank and beat me out for non-playoff seeding (the low kind).

Diontae Johnson caught 1-of-3 targets for six yards in the Steelers' Week 8 win over the Ravens. 

Johnson left the game for half of the first quarter with a hamstring issue. He returned and didn't seem hobbled, but was uninvolved in the Pittsburgh passing attack. Coming into the game with a team-high 22 percent target share, Johnson saw just three of Ben Roethlisberger's 33 attempts against Baltimore. If healthy, Johnson should serve as a low-end WR2 play next week against Dallas. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread