What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

College gameday  is at the HUGE rivalry matchup of North Dakota State and South Dakota State.  I am sure that all 26 fans will be so happy. 

LSU/AUBURN?    tOSU/Wisconsin?    
Weren't they at LSU earlier in the year?  They will likely be at LSU-Alabama in two weeks too.  

The FCS gamedays are some of the best.  NDSU represents.  JMU filled the place twice.  This one looks well attended too.

I think actual coaching is way easier in college than the NFL but from what I've heard, most who have done both greatly prefer being locked in NFL offices for 18 hours a day planning, watching video, etc than spending time sucking up to 16 year olds and boosters. 
That’s the part most don’t quite give full credit for...it’s not less hours, it’s different hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
College gameday  is at the HUGE rivalry matchup of North Dakota State and South Dakota State.  I am sure that all 26 fans will be so happy. 

Those places have plenty of game days. Lol at top-10 programs feeling shunned. Geez. 

I think actual coaching is way easier in college than the NFL but from what I've heard, most who have done both greatly prefer being locked in NFL offices for 18 hours a day planning, watching video, etc than spending time sucking up to 16 year olds and boosters. 
I’m sure that part sucks major but it doesn’t make the job harder. 

I’m sure that part sucks major but it doesn’t make the job harder. 
Harder is so subjective - I’d much rather spend extra hours working (game planning) than sucking up and networking (recruiting).  IMO, you can’t categorically state it’s harder if you don’t say what is harder.  Harder to win, harder on your family life, harder to stay employed?  

Harder is so subjective - I’d much rather spend extra hours working (game planning) than sucking up and networking (recruiting).  IMO, you can’t categorically state it’s harder if you don’t say what is harder.  Harder to win, harder on your family life, harder to stay employed?  
Extremely harder to win on game days and to also to stay employed. How many nfl coaches have ever had a Bowden/Bear/Bo/Woody length of employment? Or Saban-length now. The guy at Iowa has been there 20 years for going 7-5 every season. Try that in the nfl if you aren’t coaching the bengals. 

I’m sure both are very stressful on family life but most of these guys on both levels seem like sociopaths that don’t care about that. 

Extremely harder to win on game days and to also to stay employed. How many nfl coaches have ever had a Bowden/Bear/Bo/Woody length of employment? Or Saban-length now. The guy at Iowa has been there 20 years for going 7-5 every season. Try that in the nfl if you aren’t coaching the bengals. 

I’m sure both are very stressful on family life but most of these guys on both levels seem like sociopaths that don’t care about that. 
Completely agree with the harder to win argument

SHIZNITTTT said:

You can throw out the records when the Dakota Marker is on the line.

Today marks the 110th meeting between the two. Just because it’s not your beloved OU blowing out K-State is no reason to turn your nose up at it  

#RaiseTheRock 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll weigh in on the "harder" debate with my experience with coaches who had coached at both levels.  Specifically one guy who was a QB coach/OC in the Big 12, ACC, and several mid-majors + WR coach in the NFL for a few years, and another who was a mid-major OL/TE coach + position-less offensive assistant in the NFL.  

They both were pretty adamant that they considered the NFL to be the cushier job.  I'm not sure they ever really said that it's an "easier" job, because the hours are the hours and the stress is the stress, but what they would really harp on is how much extracurricular work you need to do at the college level.  Not just recruiting, which is a ##### but was more of an offseason role for both of these guys (they were not our recruiting coordinators or anything like that), but the other stuff.  

When you're coaching in the NFL, your job is football gameplanning.  You go to work, you gameplan, you watch film, you have meetings, you have practice, you go home.  The players on your team already know how to know how to play their positions.  They're adults.  There are veterans on the team who keep the younger players in line.  You don't need to babysit your players - they are grown men, professionals.

When you're coaching in college, you have a drastically different role.  Many of your players are very raw for their position.  You need to focus less on gameplanning against your specific opponent and more on fundamentals, actual on-field coaching.  But more than that, you essentially become a surrogate father-figure for your players.  The veterans on your team are like 21 years old and aren't much more emotionally mature than your 18 year old freshmen.  Many players come from questionable home situations, and it's their first time away from home.  You, their position coach, are responsible for making sure he's going to class.  For making sure his homework is getting done.  That he's not out partying every night.  That he's eating right and taking care of himself.  That he's not depressed or having emotional problems being 2000 miles from home.  You essentially become a surrogate father to the ~10 players in your position group for 4 years.  You are the role model.  Oh, but you guys went 3-9 last year because you had to deal with all this other off the field ####?  Sorry, you're fired.

I'll weigh in on the "harder" debate with my experience with coaches who had coached at both levels.  Specifically one guy who was a QB coach/OC in the Big 12, ACC, and several mid-majors + WR coach in the NFL for a few years, and another who was a mid-major OL/TE coach + position-less offensive assistant in the NFL.  

They both were pretty adamant that they considered the NFL to be the cushier job.  I'm not sure they ever really said that it's an "easier" job, because the hours are the hours and the stress is the stress, but what they would really harp on is how much extracurricular work you need to do at the college level.  Not just recruiting, which is a ##### but was more of an offseason role for both of these guys (they were not our recruiting coordinators or anything like that), but the other stuff.  
I believe the college position coach job is tougher than the NFL position coach job.  The college position coach is the road warrior and scout for recruiting with the HC coming in to close the deal often times.  Plus all the immaturity/baby sitting stuff you mentioned.

Not sure if anyone is talking about position coaches though.  I don't think Lincoln Riley would be heading to the NFL to be an OC or coach QBs.  :shrug:  

Cap brought up Ferentz at Iowa.  Completely depends on expectations and history.  Iowa might be content with 4-loss seasons with a couple better seasons sprinkled in, but that is not going to fly at Alabama.  :shrug:  

Very impressed with K State today, been the much better team. Hurts isn’t the type to lead a comeback when they know he’s throwing 

If Jalen stayed at Alabama he is starting on an undefeated team leading them to a possible Championship. 
Did you forget about Tua? I don’t think he made the move to win, he wanted to improve as a passer so he has a shot at the next level. 

Lovie has now has Illinois at 4-4. Remaining schedule:

v Rutgers

at MSU

at Iowa

v NW

Illinois is going bowling!

Users who are viewing this thread