What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (5 Viewers)

Great, so next year, for the second straight season, Carolina gets both finalists.  To quote the guy in the "Burned down she shed" commercial, "that's wonderful."

:censored:

I thoroughly disagree. I think Clemson wins. 
OSU settled for 3 field goals, committed numerous penalties that turned 3rd down stops into Clemson first downs, had a TD negated because 4 steps after a catch is not a football move, and then screwed the pooch when knocking on the door to win it...... um.... do you really think LSU is going to screw up as bad as OSU did?   

OSU settled for 3 field goals, committed numerous penalties that turned 3rd down stops into Clemson first downs, had a TD negated because 4 steps after a catch is not a football move, and then screwed the pooch when knocking on the door to win it...... um.... do you really think LSU is going to screw up as bad as OSU did?   
Day blew the game for OSU!!    Urban would have won this game.

Jesus Factor

Day blew the game for OSU!!    Urban would have won this game.
I can't disagree with that at all. The targeting is on the player, but the settling for field goals and the attempted blocked put that gave them the ball back is all on the coaching staff. So is the decision to punt with 3 minutes left. 

OSU settled for 3 field goals 
Key to the game. They were so dominant the first 25 minutes or so of the game but they couldn’t punch it in. Hell of a game though. 

No idea what will happen in the final but I know this: Clemson can’t afford to start out so slow again, because to LSU they’ll be down 28 points not 16. 

No, but Clemson has a significantly better defense than LSU. I think it factors in. 

Ryan Day for sure was miserable in this one though. 

I can't disagree with that at all. The targeting is on the player, but the settling for field goals and the attempted blocked put that gave them the ball back is all on the coaching staff. So is the decision to punt with 3 minutes left. 
The stage was too big for Day today.  OSU beats Michigan and the BIG teams because of the huge talent gap and those games are easy to coach.  When you match up with a team that has equal talent..even though OSU probably had the talent edge against a young Clemson team then you actually have to coach.  Day was not up to the task today.

Last edited by a moderator:
That decision to punt was so bad somebody should write a song about it. You cross the 45 and you need 4 yards to win the freaking game you better go for it. Criminal. 

The stage was too big for Day today.  OSU beats Michigan and the BIG teams because of the talent gap and those game are easy to coach.  When you match up with a team that has equal talent..even thought OSU probably had the talent edge against a young Clemson team then you actually have to coach.  Day was not up to the task today.
Man you guys are tough. I don’t know much about Day but when it was 16-0 the announcers were raving about how he was outsmarting the Clemson coaches and what a genius he was. Ohio State ran a lot of very well executed plays tonight, just as they have all season. I’d certainly love to have that guy as my head coach. 

Man you guys are tough. I don’t know much about Day but when it was 16-0 the announcers were raving about how he was outsmarting the Clemson coaches and what a genius he was. Ohio State ran a lot of very well executed plays tonight, just as they have all season. I’d certainly love to have to guy as my head coach. 
He made about 5 game altering decisions in the wrong direction but yea other than that he did great man. 

Day certainly made some mistakes, but he didn’t drop 2 surefire TDs that turned into FGs. He also didn’t lose contain and give up big outside runs a half dozen times like Chase Young did. He deserves a lot of blame, but OSU’s star players let them down in some big spots as well while Clemson’s did not.

Man you guys are tough. I don’t know much about Day but when it was 16-0 the announcers were raving about how he was outsmarting the Clemson coaches and what a genius he was. Ohio State ran a lot of very well executed plays tonight, just as they have all season. I’d certainly love to have that guy as my head coach. 
Momentum totally changed after the targeting penalty.

Day certainly made some mistakes, but he didn’t drop 2 surefire TDs that turned into FGs. He also didn’t lose contain and give up big outside runs a half dozen times like Chase Young did. He deserves a lot of blame, but OSU’s star players let them down in some big spots as well while Clemson’s did not.
True but he’s paid like 6M dollars a year not to make dumb decisions and Ohio State’s players are not. Well maybe Chase Young is. 

I’m on record saying it was the right call but it is amazing how the game turned after that targeting call.  OSU was a hair from knocking Lawrence out of the game and probably winning by 3 TDs plus.

He made about 5 game altering decisions in the wrong direction but yea other than that he did great man. 
It seems to me that in every close football game, each head coach is faced with about 20 tough decisions or more. The good ones get a majority of them right. But when the final result is a loss the critics don’t remember any of the good results, only the ones that went wrong. 

had you said that Chase Young opted to skip this game in preparation for the draft i would not have batted an eye

Well...at least we got a good semi-final game to throw on the pile. It’s been few and far between. :Dr.Positive:

He had a really good first three quarters. He had a really bad fourth quarter. 

It seems to me that in every close football game, each head coach is faced with about 20 tough decisions or more. The good ones get a majority of them right. But when the final result is a loss the critics don’t remember any of the good results, only the ones that went wrong. 
No, this is ridiculous. We were talking about how bad the calls were as they were happening. Bad decisions are bad decisions no matter what the outcome of the game was. As it turns out these decisions costs OSU the game. 

No, this is a word I can’t use because you’ll report me and Joe will ban me. We were talking about how bad the calls were as they were happening. Bad decisions are bad decisions no matter what the outcome of the game was. 
Just so you know, I don’t report people and never will. 

I’m just suggesting that it’s very hard for a fan watching on TV, or in the stands, to accurately assess a coach’s performance. Besides the obvious plays there’s a lot of subtle stuff you’re missing. And even the plays that appear to you to be clearly bad, there may be details to each one that you are not aware of that would change your mind. 

I do know this: one of your criticisms is that he didn’t go for it on 4th and 4. That’s a very difficult decision. If he had gone for it, failed, and lost the game, there would be plenty of people ripping him for that too. 

Just so you know, I don’t report people and never will. 

I’m just suggesting that it’s very hard for a fan watching on TV, or in the stands, to accurately assess a coach’s performance. Besides the obvious plays there’s a lot of subtle stuff you’re missing. And even the plays that appear to you to be clearly bad, there may be details to each one that you are not aware of that would change your mind. 

I do know this: one of your criticisms is that he didn’t go for it on 4th and 4. That’s a very difficult decision. If he had gone for it, failed, and lost the game, there would be plenty of people ripping him for that too. 
Good on you for the first part. I amended my post. 

You may be right but that still doesn’t make it the right call. It was cowardly to punt there and it cost his team the game. These coaches have to get out of this 1980s mindset of having the defense win the game in an offensive era. They needed 4 yards to seal it and punted! With that kind of offense they have! Crazy! 

Good on you for the first part. I amended my post. 

You may be right but that still doesn’t make it the right call. It was cowardly to punt there and it cost his team the game. These coaches have to get out of this 1980s mindset of having the defense win the game in an offensive era. They needed 4 yards to seal it and punted! Crazy! 
I would have gone for it. But I don’t think it’s cowardly not to and it’s certainly not an easy decision IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread