What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be? (2 Viewers)

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be?

• 50s

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • 60s

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 70s

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • 90s

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 2000s

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • 2010s

Votes: 99 41.9%

• Total voters
This is all true but what demolishes this era for me is how epically bad rap is. I’m not sure there’s ever been a genre that has taken such precipitous drop in talent tha rap has.
See I think Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, and Migos are all pretty phenomenal. 

KL specifically I think is really talented. 

Edit: forgot to even mention Childish Gambino and Run the Jewels. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great point on rap.  I can’t remember the last time I heard and liked a rap song.  And this is coming from someone who loved rap in the 90s

I keep getting people telling me how Arcade Fire and White Stripes changed their lives and the world, but just not seeing it. 
Arcade Fire was/is terrible.

White Stripes though - listen to both Elephant and (especially) Icky Thump immediately after the first track on each.  Feature track on each album may be the worst song on each album.

The aughts had a great popular revival of rap music and a post-punk revival that dwarfed anything the teens have had, which is centered around auto-tuned trap and pop.
What rap?  I thought rap died violently, poetically, in the late 90's.

I don't agree about post-punk aging well.  I admittedly still have some of it floating around, but I don't think much (any?) of it is any good.

You basically cannot vote for the 80s given the list of albums I posted on the prior page. And there are 10 others like those I could rattle off too. 
80's = mostly trash.  For every band like The Replacements, there  were 20 Mr. Mister, Billy Squier, Rick Astley, fake drums, Rush, Electric Avenue, talentless hacks.

AcerFC said:
Who is giving away

NevermindSmells Like Teen Spirit, Ten, Enter the 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, Illmatic, jar of flies, The Chronic, superunknown, Check your head etc
Me.

Anything after about 1993 can be taken away and I wouldn't miss it.

I get all that, but still would be surprised if 5% of the FFA listens to any of that regularly.  I figured 50s or 10s would lap the rest since most people dont listen to music made before they were born and seem to think no good music was made since they graduated from college.  ;)
Speaking for myself, I do listen to jazz on the regular. I'm so 5%!

Yep, the electronic pop with the bad hair and fashion dooms the 80's.
not all of it was bad, but there was A LOT of bad.    There was some good.  Prince, Michael Jackson, U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure,  Bon Jovi, REM, Def Leopard, The Cars.

but the bad, was really bad-  music you couldn't imagine today.  I think the bad music brings this decade down below the 70's.    People forget  the 70's started with acid rock, heavy metal, psychadelics, morphed into country/folk/americana/bubblegum then finished with disco, electronica, punk and rap.

Juxtatarot said:
Music was bad in the 50s.  I wouldn’t miss going the rest of my life without those songs.
:goodposting:

I have hundreds of Spotify playlists.With the exception of Miles & Coltrane, none of ut us from 1950-59.

Interesting to see the opinions of everyone here- most of whom aren’t part of the FFA subculture of music nerds

See I think Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa, and Migos are all pretty phenomenal. 

KL specifically I think is really talented. 

Edit: forgot to even mention Childish Gambino and Run the Jewels. 
Pusha T is my favorite but he’s so old I’m not sure he qualifies. Belly is dope AF. I can’t think of many others.

It's a nightmare, yeah

I'm too rare amongst all of this pink hair, ooh
Still do the Fred Astaire on a brick
Tap tap, throw the phone if you hear it click
Art Baselin' the bezel
Your bustdown is bust down and don't match the metal
Lower level's where you settle at
I'm the pot callin' the kettle black

Besides Sinatra, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, etc. The jazz of the 50s alone is enough to rival any decade.
Those are certainly great artists, but I personally don’t care for any of them, nor jazz. But given their historical importance and the thread’s title, we could more easily do without the current decade.

80s my #1 decade - Prince, Gabriel, Costello, Police, U2, REM, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray & i aint even got to nuevo wavo
Elvis Costello had a nice run of albums in the 70s with My Aim is True, This Years Model, and Armed Forces. I love Outlandes d'Amour from '78 by The Police.  Regetta de Blanc from '79 has its moments, but isn't one of my favorites.

Interesting to see the opinions of everyone here- most of whom aren’t part of the FFA subculture of music nerds
Youse guys get way too deep for me.  Maybe someday I'll have the time and energy to dive deep into it all again.  I'll never forget those rabbit hole nights when napster, limewire, morpheus, etc. first came to be.  A lot of what I still listen to is a result of those nights in my late teens/early 20's.  I'nt anyone got time for that anymore though.  I supply our office music, but it's primarily easy listening; I just control what easy listening.  Pure Praire League's Amie right now.  Outstanding one to sing-along, hum, or just foot tap.  Anyway.  Outside of here?  I'm lucky to find an hour to myself per week to rabbit hole.  Wouldn't trade it, but them's the times.  They'll change again though.  And maybe rabbit holing will find its way back into my life.  I just hope this forum isn't nuked by that time because a lot of the content you all provide will serve as a great starting point.

Most people don't listen to the radio.  And yes, there is a ton of music out there.  There's almost too much.  A few weeks ago I found myself wondering if a band or a singer could "revolutionize" music in a way that happened in past years.  It seems as if most people either listen to the "spotify top 100 playlist" or are in their own little dark corners of the music world.
Really? It’s the only thing I listen to - no albums, playlists, CDs, etc.

Yeah I think he’s way off on that. I’m pretty confident the main demographic here still listens to the radio quite a bit. 
Only radio I listen to now is Sirius. Haven't listened to over the air FM in eight years plus. Beyond that is Spotify and Napster and the internet.

Elvis Costello had a nice run of albums in the 70s with My Aim is True, This Years Model, and Armed Forces. I love Outlandes d'Amour from '78 by The Police.  Regetta de Blanc from '79 has its moments, but isn't one of my favorites.
well, rock music's seams don't line up with the decades. Having been the only person west of the Mississippi who owned Talking Heads '77 when i moved to New Mexico, i am quite aware of the timing but 60s rock is Surf/British Invasion/Stax-Volt, 70s rock is Prog/Yacht/Punk, 80s rock is New Wave/Hair/Arena, 90s is Rap/Grunge/Lilith, 00s is WTFdideverybodygo, even tho there is overlap

Yeah I think he’s way off on that. I’m pretty confident the main demographic here still listens to the radio quite a bit. 
I listen to (rough estimates here):

Amazon Music 60%, Podcasts 30%, XM radio 8%, Terrestrial radio 2%.

I won't be surprised if radio goes the way of the dodo, but I think most people still listen, excluding millennials and younger kids.

I voted for 2010s, but mostly because I couldn't think of too much that I've heard this decade that would rise to the level that I'd miss never hearing again.  I don't really dig too much (and never did when I was younger).  Even past my formative youth, if you ask me what I'd miss from the 2000's, I could at least rattle off some albums by the likes of The White Stripes, Black Keys, Radiohead, OutKast, and Wilco.

For 2010s, maybe I'd put something like Adele's 21 or some Kendrick Lamar in that company, but I think I could live without those.  

For people saying that there is a lot of great music out there now if you really go looking for it, how do you go about finding it?  It seems like everyone uses Spotify, but I've always found the user interface of Spotify kind of terrible.  Maybe part of the appeal of the earlier stuff is that I didn't have to go looking for the good stuff.  It just kind of entered the zeitgeist (but that might relate more to era of music than the decade's entire catalog).

The only radio station I I occasionally turn on is the classical/jazz station. Detroit is blessed to have a really incredible independent FM station dedicated to that.

Putting my age bias aside, I find it very difficult to argue for anything over the 70's.  Was more bad music produced in that decade?  Yes, absolutely.  But the amount of great music dwarfs the 60's.  And I get that you can't do this, but if you gave the last year or so of the 60's to the 70's then I don't think there is any debate from much of anyone.
My personal decade would be closer to 67-77, but close enough.

2000s.  

I keep getting people telling me how Arcade Fire and White Stripes changed their lives and the world, but just not seeing it. 

2010s aren't great but I'll give it to this decade that the actual pop music has made a comeback.  The 2000s didn't even have good pop music.   
I don't see how Arcade Fire and White Stripes mesh, very different bands ...not a big fan of Arcade Fire, but love the White Stripes (though not life-changing).  

Someone mentioned the ideal 10-year span - most definitely would be somewhere around '66/'67 - '75/'76 for me ...with around '72-'74 as the sweet spot in there.  

I have no idea which decade to pick for pop music. Even a ten-year block seems arbitrary. If we're not counting jazz or modern classical, I'd go '64-'77 as the most important "rock block" that there ever was, with some early Beatles up through the Sex Pistols. After that, aside from synthesis of genres, it all gets redundant.

Dance/punk (post-punk and jangly disco-rock) and disco/indie (techno and rave) are the exceptions as synthetic genres that might have outlasted and surpassed the sum of their parts.

I have no idea which decade to pick for pop music. Even a ten-year block seems arbitrary. If we're not counting jazz or modern classical, I'd go '64-'77 as the most important "rock block" that there ever was, with some early Beatles up through the Sex Pistols. After that, aside from synthesis of genres, it all gets redundant.

Dance/punk (post-punk and jangly disco-rock) and disco/indie (techno and rave) are the exceptions as synthetic genres that might have outlasted and surpassed the sum of their parts.
How can the 80s not win the pop category.  I'm not even sure what is 2nd.

How can the 80s not win the pop category.  I'm not even sure what is 2nd.
Yeah, if you mean pop as in pure popular charting music, then sure. But popular music is something different than charting music. Maybe I should say best "subculture" music? Because '64-'77 spans from pop/guitar rock, The British Invasion, Motown, Girl Groups, psychedelic/Woodstock rock, progressive rock, late sixties and early-to-mid seventies funk, to AM Gold, to outlaw country to punk.

I voted for 2010s, but mostly because I couldn't think of too much that I've heard this decade that would rise to the level that I'd miss never hearing again.  I don't really dig too much (and never did when I was younger).  Even past my formative youth, if you ask me what I'd miss from the 2000's, I could at least rattle off some albums by the likes of The White Stripes, Black Keys, Radiohead, OutKast, and Wilco.

For 2010s, maybe I'd put something like Adele's 21 or some Kendrick Lamar in that company, but I think I could live without those.  

For people saying that there is a lot of great music out there now if you really go looking for it, how do you go about finding it?  It seems like everyone uses Spotify, but I've always found the user interface of Spotify kind of terrible.  Maybe part of the appeal of the earlier stuff is that I didn't have to go looking for the good stuff.  It just kind of entered the zeitgeist (but that might relate more to era of music than the decade's entire catalog).
Music drafts and the year long music threads, homie.  

I also have a couple podcasts I listen to that feature new songs and randomly browse lists online for new albums. 

Music in the past 20 years can’t be as bad as we think it is, can it?

Maybe its that music is just more disperse—many more bands available out there who can record and put out their stuff inexpensively, and less of the thing where you have a number of major supergroups who have longevity and rule MTV for years.
Maybe I am off-base on this as I admit I have not paid much attention to newer music, but it seems the newer stuff is much more about the singer/vocals than it is about the instrumentation.  Shows like American Idol, The Voice, America's Got Talent, etc...really push vocal talent to the forefront.  The scene isn't so much about the bands and musicianship anymore.   Even those liking the older music decades aren't pointing to the synthesized "fake" stuff of the 80's or the boy bands of the 90's as shining examples of what makes those decades good.  Newer music reminds me of those types of things...where has the instrumental talent gone?

Users who are viewing this thread