What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be? (1 Viewer)

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be?

• 50s

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • 60s

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 70s

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • 90s

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 2000s

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • 2010s

Votes: 99 41.9%

• Total voters
While I despise the Tears For Fears and Mr Mister aspect of the decade, any decade that includes Thriller, Appetite For Destruction, and most importantly License To Ill can not be the worst decade.

Voted 50's.
Beastie's, kinda pissed at myself for forgetting about them. 

MAC_32 said:
Probably the 2000's, but I need to be convinced the 80's aren't the answer. 
No way. You had strong rap entering and ending the decade and the golden age of pop punk from like 01-05.

On the other hand.....the 2000s does encompass Nickelback.

No way. You had strong rap entering and ending the decade and the golden age of pop punk from like 01-05.

On the other hand.....the 2000s does encompass Nickelback.
What pop-punk do you consider good? Beyond American Idiot I got nuthin outside of one-off's here and there. 

I finally made my vote for the aughts after the beastie reminder. Convincing argument for the 50's though.

Sure- depends who “we” is in the question.  Is it we the FFA or we as in society? I think some of the people here are certainly locked into the music from their HS-30s. They of course  think  it’s also the objectively best and most timeless...just like every generation ever does.
Fair point.  I would guess about 5% of the FFA, 85% of the posters in the music drafts, and about 20% of society as a whole?  

For people saying that there is a lot of great music out there now if you really go looking for it, how do you go about finding it?  
Spotify and Pandora.  I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the Spotify interface, but if you listen at least a little, the weekly discover becomes pretty good.  

I also look for college/public radio stations to stream.  For instance, I listen to WXPN quite a bit.  They have their own app so it's one touch listening rather than going through some other app like I heart radio.

Spotify and Pandora.  I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the Spotify interface, but if you listen at least a little, the weekly discover becomes pretty good.  

I also look for college/public radio stations to stream.  For instance, I listen to WXPN quite a bit.  They have their own app so it's one touch listening rather than going through some other app like I heart radio.
You could also check out my favorite 1000 song thread.  Most recent post is from 2016.

What pop-punk do you consider good? Beyond American Idiot I got nuthin outside of one-off's here and there. 

I finally made my vote for the aughts after the beastie reminder. Convincing argument for the 50's though.
- Blink 182

- Sum 41

- Simple Plan

- Yellowcard

- Good Charlotte

This site really has some trash mechanics. I had a huge post typed up with several links and it just disappeared when I tried to submit. 

PM on it's way 

:boxing:
Mail box is empty, yo.

JK, don't come at me.

I hate the 80's, but I love Tears for Fear (song or two).
GTFO

Whatever decade this Ringo Star guy is from
Never heard of him.

Cardi B

Migos

Tyga

You're just old bro.
My 17 year old keeps trying to give me rap suggestions, but it is all garbage.  I need a cool sample and a hook.  Everything today just sounds like a crappy synthesized beat and monotone talking, nothing resembling old school rap.  :shrug:  

My 17 year old keeps trying to give me rap suggestions, but it is all garbage.  I need a cool sample and a hook.  Everything today just sounds like a crappy synthesized beat and monotone talking, nothing resembling old school rap.  :shrug:  
I've found your problem.

It's called...age. And parenthood. It's...inevitable.

Nah, I'm a little older but still single and I hate this decade's rap. It's a lot of autotune, trap beats, and mumbling. Not that good, really. I'm waiting for something to bubble up from the underground, really.  That said, I was listening to this the other day, and it's pretty good.

Open Mike Eagle - Unapologetic feat. Nocando

Probably don't listen to Spotify enough as it is.  I just pulled up Discover Weekly, and it has Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, and the like, at the top.  Is there a good weekly playlist that I should look for to get my feet wet with Spotify, so it starts giving me better suggestions?

One big thing about rap for me today is that I'm old.  And what I mean by that is that when I was young, rap spoke to me.  But now I feel like I'm listening to a kid talk about doing things as a parent I don't think he should be doing.  Can't blame them for that, but it's just not the same.  But I also agree that the actual beats aren't as good as the old stuff.

Probably don't listen to Spotify enough as it is.  I just pulled up Discover Weekly, and it has Buddy Holly, Ricky Nelson, and the like, at the top.  Is there a good weekly playlist that I should look for to get my feet wet with Spotify, so it starts giving me better suggestions?
Search for your favorite bands and listen to those playlists for a while.  

One big thing about rap for me today is that I'm old.  And what I mean by that is that when I was young, rap spoke to me.  But now I feel like I'm listening to a kid talk about doing things as a parent I don't think he should be doing.  Can't blame them for that, but it's just not the same.  But I also agree that the actual beats aren't as good as the old stuff.
That's part of it I'm sure.  The last guy he told me to listen to, I listened to his top five tracks on Spotify.  Over the course of those songs, I'm pretty sure I heard the N word 57,142 times.  Maybe my memory if off, but I feel like even the gangsta rap from back in the day used the N word, maybe not sparingly, but purposefully.  A few times a song sure, but now its like "Smurf."  If they need to fill a space, just throw in the N word.  Used constantly.

Get off my lawn.

Trying to find the post on Reddit where someone basically put every piece of music into an algorithm that hit billboard top 200 in last 60 years.  Google is failing me. 

Basically the conclusion was music was converging across all genres into one blob of ####.  

Wish we could cross reference poster's age with what decade they voted for.  How in the hell are people voting for the 90s?!?  Skewing geriatric in this thread.

That's part of it I'm sure.  The last guy he told me to listen to, I listened to his top five tracks on Spotify.  Over the course of those songs, I'm pretty sure I heard the N word 57,142 times.  Maybe my memory if off, but I feel like even the gangsta rap from back in the day used the N word, maybe not sparingly, but purposefully.  A few times a song sure, but now its like "Smurf."  If they need to fill a space, just throw in the N word.  Used constantly.

Get off my lawn.
I will never be able to hear them say the N word again without thinking about it being the same as Smurf.  :lol:

No idea what any of these bands are, but they seem terrible
tru dat. Migos is decent, Tyga is about as original as roadkill, but the top one you don't need to go past the first letter to get. original style and word patterns, coulda been sumn, but so far up into the ### of selfishness & hate & status that everything she touches comes out fecal-coated.

i am old (and ain't that the laziest putdown ever?) but i was lucky to be born early enough that the very original recorded music still had currency and i'm still givin' a #### now that's its blowed up into what it has, so it's important to me to stay current, to see every season of every music for what it is. time after time, my younger friends have a Kendrick Lamar, a Run the Jewels i gotta listen to so i do.

i tell ya, it's like corporate Country music or if rock got to Kiss and just stopped and everybody tried to be like that. just absolutely stuck in its attitude, imagery and soundshapes. if you can't employ your rhymyass juvenilities for something other than bragging on bein' different AF making you rich and all, stay da #### home.

Users who are viewing this thread