What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players motivated by money. (1 Viewer)

Raptors409

Footballguy
Do any of you take into account the financial security of players when drafting or trading?

After all, we are all human. A little money is enough to motivate someone to superstar status, but when they get the money they get lazy.

For instance, I know Kenny Golladay has a new contract coming his way. You're gonna see that guy playing motivated football.

Same thing with rookies. They're just hungrier and are willing to make riskier plays. 

lol u guys think these cats are supposed to play for the love of the game. It's so romantic. 

if your contract at work was up and you're looking to renegotiate for an extra week vaca and commission increase, you're telling me you aren't typing a few extra emails and getting a few extra sales in for the boss?

boof

lol u guys think these cats are supposed to play for the love of the game. 
Nope. My stance on this issue has always been the majority of these guys dont love the game; it's a job.

Of course they're going to try harder if it means 5 more million guaranteed. they'd be stupid not to

Nope. My stance on this issue has always been the majority of these guys dont love the game; it's a job.

Of course they're going to try harder if it means 5 more million guaranteed. they'd be stupid not to
sure but for the most part, NFL players are always playing for the next year or next contract. 

I saw a guy like Kelvin Benjamin last year with everything on the line come up super small in attitude and effort. I've seen players in the past who play terrible in the last year because of the pressure. With some players who are in last year of their deal I worry about their desire to play through injuries that might make them look worse on tape or risk them entering FA not healthy.  I read reports that some in Washington felt that Cousins was playing overly conservative because to avoid interceptions for fear of what that might do to his contract demands.

Sure you might get a player who is extra motivated but enough stuff on the negative ledger to make it really not much of an issue to me one way or another. Fair to call it a non-factor for me.

lol u guys think these cats are supposed to play for the love of the game. It's so romantic. 

if your contract at work was up and you're looking to renegotiate for an extra week vaca and commission increase, you're telling me you aren't typing a few extra emails and getting a few extra sales in for the boss?

boof
I don’t think anyone has said or even implied that here?  

For those who say this has been proven wrong

wrs

rbs
Very telling stats.... even if it is from 2016....  makes me feel better about trading away L Bell!  

Contract year players are often higher on my target list but I never considered after they signed those loaded contracts (CY+1). 

wrs

rbs
I wonder how much of this results from players not trying vs the NFL just giving unfavorable contracts to players not quite as good as they think. Not to mention theres a lot of injuries too, which I guess you could argue has something to do with players getting paid. 

sure but for the most part, NFL players are always playing for the next year or next contract. 
The NFL is a lot different than baseball with non guaranteed contracts. Methinks this provides some motivation. But you could make the argument a guy might try harder the year before the guaranteed money is up. 

Last edited by a moderator:

wrs

rbs

Very telling stats.... even if it is from 2016....  makes me feel better about trading away L Bell!  

Contract year players are often higher on my target list but I never considered after they signed those loaded contracts (CY+1). 
Not really, the sample size seems to make that pretty meaningless. The second "study" looked at 13 players. 

wrs

rbs
As a doctor.. you should realize the worthless nature of small sample sizes.  13 running backs, 21 WRs? 

No statistical significance mentioned. 

I'd get laughed out of the room trying to use these as evidence in a clinical setting.

It's a double-edged sword if we're talking dynasty assets. You get that big year when a player is motivated by their desire for a new contract. But the next year you may be SOL if they sign into a bad situation and/or take the money and run (or no longer run, I suppose) and put up lousy numbers.

In redraft formats, I'm always looking to get the contract year guys.

njuries are included

Running backs are among the most injured players in football, so trying to exclude injuries from this data set would have reduced it to zero. As it happens, I think that including injuries is actually critical to this data set – going along with our hypothesis, a more motivated player will spend more time on strength, conditioning, and flexibility during the offseason, and will, in the long run, be less injury prone. Conversely, a fat and happy player with a new contract might be lazier and thus will be more prone to injury.
Players coming off an injury often don't get a big contract and accept a one year show me contract.  By default, he's only picking up players that had good to great years in the last contract year.

Adrian Peterson (MIN), LeSean McCoy (PHI), Jonathan Stewart (CAR), Jamaal Charles (KC), DeMarco Murray (DAL), Shane Vereen (NE), Matt Forte (CHI), C.J. Spiller (BUF), Mark Ingram (NO), Ryan Mathews (SD), DeAngelo Williams (CAR), Chris Johnson (TEN), Ray Rice (BAL).
I wish I could find the exact years for the data.  Vereen and Forte went the the Jets...nuff said.  Dwill and Stewart overlapped and there best years were when the other was injured.  Murray went from the best line in the league to Chip Kelley as i recall.  Charles was a stud until he got hurt.

Give me guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady etc. who are motivated not only by short term money, but also by image and pride.  Those guys are playing the long game and give more consistent quality production.  

As a doctor.. you should realize the worthless nature of small sample sizes.  13 running backs, 21 WRs? 

No statistical significance mentioned. 

I'd get laughed out of the room trying to use these as evidence in a clinical setting.

Is this a FF message board or a peer review?  I’ll take data where I can get it and then decide for myself how much emphasis to apply.

Not really, the sample size seems to make that pretty meaningless. The second "study" looked at 13 players. 
While that is true, but you have to start somewhere when looking at trends.  The fact that the Salary Cap is so different from 2013 is also a key part of the equation IMO.  

Players can say all they want about "their heart is in the game", but after a few season of the grueling sport, injuries and constant "medicinal" life style restrictions, they won't have the commitment level to suffer, or put any extra effort unless something is on the line.... playoffs for example. 

While that is true, but you have to start somewhere when looking at trends.  The fact that the Salary Cap is so different from 2013 is also a key part of the equation IMO.  

Players can say all they want about "their heart is in the game", but after a few season of the grueling sport, injuries and constant "medicinal" life style restrictions, they won't have the commitment level to suffer, or put any extra effort unless something is on the line.... playoffs for example. 
Sure but I think since we have no conclusive large scale data and our population of players who are fantasy relevant isn' that big, the best we can is judge case to case. One of the better examples recently was Matt Kelley 2 years ago coined the "Wayne or a Dwayne" labels. His idea was there are some players who are like Reggie Wayne in that there are gym rats, they are on strict diets and there entire life is dedicated to being a finely tuned athletic machine. Those guys like Brady, Fitzgeralrd, etc. tend to have longer and more consistently productive careers. On the other hand there are Dwayne Bowe archetypes. Football is a job for them and when it's the offseason, they aren't focused on staying in shape. They don't put too much focus on diet, they like to party, etc. He said Gronk was a clear Dwayne given his booze cruise and vodka chugging antics. I am more interested in trying to figure out the motivation and lifestyle of a player than making a broad sweeping generalization. Some players are going to turn it up for a contract year, some are always turned up and some like say Devante Parker don't ever seem to find the right motivation. 

Is this a FF message board or a peer review?  I’ll take data where I can get it and then decide for myself how much emphasis to apply.
Bad information is worse than no information. I did a study and it found that QBs from the Big 10 have a 75% chance at being NFL Pro Bowlers and leading their team to a Super Bowl but also a 25% chance of never throwing an NFL TD. My sample size was Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Drew Brees and Christian Hackenburg. 

Bronco Billy said:
He offered it as proof.

And as 80s argued.. bad information can be worse than no information.

Only in the sports/entertainment world do we see this INSTANT $$$$$$$$$$.  Most all these guys came from humble beginnings, a lot growing up rough then all of a sudden.......WHAM BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

From pretty much nothing to being able to have anything you want in a matter of seconds.   Not sure how I would act, I do think all those who really love football still love football but those who just put up with it because they were pushed that way because of size/speed....hmmmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread