What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (8 Viewers)

I’m certain his agent has explored every option. These things don’t come together over ribeyes and Pinot anymore. 
I'd say for the most part you are right, but I bet a handful of guys (like maybe 2-5% of them) would still remain undecided until seeing the sales pitches.

Yes, but I am sure some happen afterwards. I am asking if they need everything lined up perfectly by that date in order to maximize cap space. 

Also, so if it is all perfect and AD waives the $4mm, then they have $32mm in space prior to the trade. So that allows them to sign one-max guy or a few lower level dudes and THEN trade, right?

so they would have AD, Lebron, Kemba, kuzma. And no space. So how do they get to the minimum number of players at that point?
MLE, vet minimums, and purchasing second round picks with cash.

Because of the cap space, do the Lakers need to complete their entire roster but for minimum contracts by July 6?

I have read 34 articles about how this all will work, with and without Davis waiving $4mm and  I am still confused. 
It doesn't help that Woj and Mike Schmit(?) are flip-flopping on whether it's the 7/30 or 7/6 trade date that allows the Lakers to get to the $32.5MM cap space.

Reading between the lines on Horford, I'm not convinced he leaving strictly for dollars or that he'll get anywhere near $100 million. I predict he signs a 4-year deal for less than the AAV the Celtics were offering on a 3 year deal but more overall dollars total. (Say 4 years $65 million rather than 3 years $55 million) I think he's motivated to go to a team he deems closer to a championship that the Celtics. Now if he simply goes to top bidder and signs with a team like the Knicks to join that mess, I'll admit I was completely wrong.

Does anyone else feel like this NBA off-season is the pinnacle of humanity?

I mean first Game of Thrones, then Avengers Endgame and now this?

Hayward is an albatross my dude.
Agreed.  It's not like Ainge was buying high on an injury prone player though when the Celtics signed Hayward.  Injuries happen.  Only so much of that can be put on the GM.

Because of the cap space, do the Lakers need to complete their entire roster but for minimum contracts by July 6?

I have read 34 articles about how this all will work, with and without Davis waiving $4mm and  I am still confused. 
You and Pelinka both.

Yes, but I am sure some happen afterwards. I am asking if they need everything lined up perfectly by that date in order to maximize cap space. 

Also, so if it is all perfect and AD waives the $4mm, then they have $32mm in space prior to the trade. So that allows them to sign one-max guy or a few lower level dudes and THEN trade, right?

so they would have AD, Lebron, Kemba, kuzma. And no space. So how do they get to the minimum number of players at that point?
Teams can always sign players for the minimum regardless of cap situation.  If they have an open space (up to 13 players) there is a minimum cap hold of $897,158 per space that's included in the calculation of available cap space.  

@Leeroy Jenkins  I can't get them to $32 million.  I don't understand that.  Trading their other players so the only have the 3 gives me A little over $29 million  (The link says $25.3 because I don't think the site lets me waive AD's trade bonus.  Gotta add $4 million.)

I might be confused about the 2nd rounders they may buy. Even though they have no cap hold, I think the minimum roster change still counts.  Maybe I'm missing something though.

Edit:  Oh wait...I think I figured it out! 2nd Edit: Nope.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't help that Woj and Mike Schmit(?) are flip-flopping on whether it's the 7/30 or 7/6 trade date that allows the Lakers to get to the $32.5MM cap space.
i haven't seen there reporting, but i believe that there are two different scenarios.

The 7/30 one hinges on the Pels waiting for the Lakers to make their draft picks, which requires them to hold the players for 30 days before they can trade them, but lets them be part of the salary matching requirements.

The 7/6 one hinges on moving Wagner/Bonga/Jones.

I forget if both involve AD waiving his trade bonus, or just the second one.

Lol, your words were that the Lakers were one of a handful of teams considered a favorite to win the 2019-20 title. If you're weren't referring to betting odds and instead are referring to real life chances, then your faith is even more misplaced.
Yeah a team with LeBron, AD, and room for another max contract free agent in a year with the warriors having no shot to win the championship isn't a favorite to win.....as Stephen A would say get of the weeeeeeeeeeeed.
of  course you are a lakers fan i mean just of course you are take that to the bank brohans 

You might be a year early with Atlanta - the East is weak but I see them really making their jump in 2021. They have a ton of bad salary that comes off the books next summer, around $50MM that’s currently wrapped up in Crabbe, Bazemore, and Plumlee. They’ll have max space to add a star to their core of Young + Collins + whatever they do with their 3 picks tomorrow. They could be a lot of fun.
Yeah, I like what Atlanta has been doing a lot.  Certainly think they have better prospects than Charlotte

As the biggest Lonzo fan on these boards, I was sad to see him included in the deal.  I wish NO would have taken Kuzma instead.
You won't wish that in a year or two.

The one thing I was hoping when they made this deal -- was that they kept Kuzma.

Ball isn't what you pin your championship hopes on, as you're about to see.

@Leeroy Jenkins  I can't get them to $32 million.  I don't understand that.  Trading their other players so the only have the 3 gives me A little over $29 million  (The link says $25.3 because I don't think the site lets me waive AD's trade bonus.  Gotta add $4 million.)

I might be confused about the 2nd rounders they may buy. Even though they have no cap hold, I think the minimum roster change still counts.  Maybe I'm missing something though.

Edit:  Oh wait...I think I figured it out! 2nd Edit: Nope.  
they still have some of Deng's contract hanging around, don't they? I didn't think they shook the whole thing

Jayrod said:
I agree everyone but Atlanta and Orlando, putting them at 6.  If Leonard walks from Toronto, Boston will be better than them.  If not, Toronto is either 1 or 2.

Again, they will sign someone.  Where they land depends entirely on who that is, which is my point.

ETA:  Philly is below Milwuakee and Toronto for regular season standings, assuming all teams hang on to everyone they have.
A full season of Butler and Harris on the team would have the Sixers at 1 or 2. 

Jayrod said:
I'd say for the most part you are right, but I bet a handful of guys (like maybe 2-5% of them) would still remain undecided until seeing the sales pitches.
Don't forget...LeBron was signing with the Knicks in 2010 right up until Donnie Walsh's old bones got rolled into the pitch room.

Just citing the Achilles info that was circulating last week. The media reports had a chart showing the average post Achilles recovery time to get a player back on the court at 272 days. 
this is such a huge problem. sports media needs to stop doing this type ####.

it makes fans look at the number and say "well, he'll be back in 9 months then" and when he 's not they start calling the guy soft, saying he quit, he doesn't love the sport.. the front office starts listening to their fans and wonders the same things, etc. and the pressure builds on coaches, players, agents, staff doctors, etc. to rush guys back when they aren't ready.

it's what happens in football. guy obliterates a limb, media says "well, that's typically a 1-2 week injury" when they haven't the slightest idea what really happened and it's more like a 6 week injury minimum.. so the guy tries to come back in 2 weeks, looks like absolute dog#### because he's 40% recovered and he aggravates the injury..resulting in more missed time.. more fan anger, more disillusionment and that impacts his contract.

happened to Clay Matthews. guy injured his thumb.. fans said "what a #####, it's just a sprained thumb! he should be playing" so he came back and played with one arm for weeks while fans said he was finished, he's a bum, he quit on the team, he should be cut, etc.

turned out the guy's thumb was essentially internally severed and hanging on by a string but he played anyways and it cost him millions of dollars.

Durant's achilles launched to the moon. if everything goes absolutely perfectly and he gets (he will) world class care without any setbacks then maybe he should play in 9 months.  probably he should start basketball workouts again in 9 months.. maybe.. probably more like a full year.. then work back slowly.

but i'd bet he'll be out there at "full" speed in 9 months, struggle at first and Stephen A. will lead the charge of "he's washed, he's selfish, he doesn't want to play in Golden State, he wants to play with his buddies so he's tanking...." and fans will say "SEE, HE'S A JERK! I KNEW IT!"

wash, rinse, repeat

this is probably a bigger problem in the NFL but it has seeped in to every sport

Jayrod said:
Here are my resulting standings after this for next season (assuming drafted players as well):

WC

10. Rockets
i think my biggest objection would be the above. only one team has competed for the championship 2 years in a row with GS is Houston. i agree there are questions, but dropping all the way to 10th seems almost impossible with a likely MVP candidate on their team. you think something happens to Harden (trade, injury?)

i can honestly say i have more faith in the collective thought in this thread than i would in Pelinka in running a team as a GM. That being said, i think if i am the Lakers i need to realize the time is now and i need to explore all options. the idea of saving $4 million by cutting 2 of your starters in Bonga and Wagner seems like an utterly dumb idea. You can explore the cheap MLE, etc., but if i am the Lakers i think i have one goal in mind.

the salary cap is already gone, and when they re-sign Davis next year it will not be any prettier. i go to a local university and get anyone who can do the math and help me with the salary cap first. That would have helped them before they fumbled the Davis trade to not get more money out of it. With that in mind, I am contacting the Wizards and Rockets. Since i literally have 0 assets, i am contacting both and trying to trade for Wall or Paul. If i am getting Wall, i would push for Beal too, but considering they have no draft picks and no cap space, i would make the Buss family jump in the luxury tax, and would add on salary crap to burden the overall dollar, and get some assets so i am not completely bare for the next 4-5 years

With that in mind, I am contacting the Wizards and Rockets. Since i literally have 0 assets, i am contacting both and trying to trade for Wall or Paul.
So which of LeBron or Davis are you giving up to make the salaries work?

Here you go @modogg, looks like both you and Rob Pelinka could benefit from this useful tool...

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker

So which of LeBron or Davis are you giving up to make the salaries work?

Here you go @modogg, looks like both you and Rob Pelinka could benefit from this useful tool...

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker
ok, well let's hear your proposal for what the Lakers should do, since it seems you have the answers. 

and since you want to play the game, you don't think there is a way to by-pass the salary cap and figure out a way to take on some of those salaries and spread them out (re-sign them for something else?). i don't know the in's and out's of how to manipulate the salary cap, but there are plenty of people in the NBA who seem to know. 

ok, well let's hear your proposal for what the Lakers should do, since it seems you have the answers. 

and since you want to play the game, you don't think there is a way to by-pass the salary cap and figure out a way to take on some of those salaries and spread them out (re-sign them for something else?). i don't know the in's and out's of how to manipulate the salary cap, but there are plenty of people in the NBA who seem to know. 
No

Seriously, use the tool that the interwebs hath provided. The NBA has this thing called the salary cap. Don't feel bad, there are actual NBA GMs who don't know how to manage it.

Seriously, use the tool that the interwebs hath provided. The NBA has this thing called the salary cap. Don't feel bad, there are actual NBA GMs who don't know how to manage it.
no thanks. More fun to sit back and just poke fun at everyone else, and not suggest anything anymore. Really don't want to propose suggestions for what you would do as Lakers GM or Wizards GM at this point? I have faith in Houston, that situation could be fun this summer. My guess is they find the best solution is to appease the current contracts

no thanks. More fun to sit back and just poke fun at everyone else, and not suggest anything anymore. Really don't want to propose suggestions for what you would do as Lakers GM or Wizards GM at this point? I have faith in Houston, that situation could be fun this summer. My guess is they find the best solution is to appease the current contracts
The Lakers have boxed themselves in so badly that there's really not much they can do. They have a ton of spots to fill and are almost assuredly blowing all cap space on one FA to add to Davis and LeBron. They've resorted to trying to purchase 2nd round picks just to field a roster in 2019. They can't make any trade to take on salary because outside of LeBron and Davis, they only have 4 small contracts to send out and not enough cap space to absorb a bad contract. I wasn't entirely joking when I linked that trade tool. They simply cannot trade for Chris Paul or John Wall, much less a Wall/Beal combo without trading LeBron. They can't even trade Davis since he's not even a Laker yet.

I'd love to take a stab at being Grunsfeld's replacement in DC. Literally nowhere to go but up.

Damn, the wizards cap sheet is insane.

they have 86.5 million in 4 players:

ian mahinmi

Dwight howard

dead John wall

beal

And the only other player I’d expect to be back is last year’s first round pick Troy brown.

I know the popular idea is to trade Beal, but they are still going to be ####ed with walls contract as they try to rebuild.  Probably may as well only sign one year deals this year, load manage Beal this year to tank, and hope they get a great pick and that wall can at least provide some value in the future and do something with their cap space next year when mahinmi and Howard are gone.

Damn, the wizards cap sheet is insane.

they have 86.5 million in 4 players:

ian mahinmi

Dwight howard

dead John wall

beal

And the only other player I’d expect to be back is last year’s first round pick Troy brown.

I know the popular idea is to trade Beal, but they are still going to be ####ed with walls contract as they try to rebuild.  Probably may as well only sign one year deals this year, load manage Beal this year to tank, and hope they get a great pick and that wall can at least provide some value in the future and do something with their cap space next year when mahinmi and Howard are gone.
Looks like you and I spent the last 15 minutes or so doing the same thing. To me it looks like Washington's quickest way out of cap and treadmill hell is to make Beal a carrot to dangle for someone taking on Wall with him. And only a team with cap room, desperation to win now, and some bad contracts of it's own would have any interest in that. Dallas could package the poo-poo platter of Tim Hardway Jr, Courtney Lee, and Dwight Powell (now opted-in) to make the salaries work. For Dallas the benefit of course is adding Beal. For Washington it clears their cap in 2 years as opposed to 4.

Well, I'm not sure everybody in this thread would make a better G.M. for the Lakers than Pelinka based on a few of the more recent posts here.
I'm catching up and I was wondering why no one had responded to the craziness.

Looks like you and I spent the last 15 minutes or so doing the same thing. To me it looks like Washington's quickest way out of cap and treadmill hell is to make Beal a carrot to dangle for someone taking on Wall with him. And only a team with cap room, desperation to win now, and some bad contracts of it's own would have any interest in that. Dallas could package the poo-poo platter of Tim Hardway Jr, Courtney Lee, and Dwight Powell (now opted-in) to make the salaries work. For Dallas the benefit of course is adding Beal. For Washington it clears their cap in 2 years as opposed to 4.
That’s still not even close to make the salaries match.  It would have to be 65 million for the new year, right?

That’s still not even close to make the salaries match.  It would have to be 65 million for the new year, right?
It does match with Powell's opt-in, in addition to Dallas' cap space allowing them to take on a little more salary than they're sending out.

Users who are viewing this thread