What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (12 Viewers)

Three 76ers test positive

The Philadelphia 76ers said late Thursday three members of its organization have tested positive for the coronavirus. The team did not disclose names, or whether they are players or members of the staff. The Sixers said unnamed players, coaches and basketball support staff were tested. The individuals are in self isolation.

Josh Harris is a piece of ####. He's laying off workers and cutting salaries of those that make over $50k for the Sixers and Devils. This after he just raised season tickets by 60%.  Oh by the way, he's worth $3.8b. 

I think I'm done with the sixers. I never liked the guy but I figured all owners suck so who cares. This guy is just evil. How can I root for a team with that guy at the top? 

Insein said:
Josh Harris is a piece of ####. He's laying off workers and cutting salaries of those that make over $50k for the Sixers and Devils. This after he just raised season tickets by 60%.  Oh by the way, he's worth $3.8b. 

I think I'm done with the sixers. I never liked the guy but I figured all owners suck so who cares. This guy is just evil. How can I root for a team with that guy at the top? 
Thanks to public pressure, Harris is backing off the salary reductions (not sure about the layoff). Glad to see the media spreading the word about this actually did some good for a change. 

Thanks to public pressure, Harris is backing off the salary reductions (not sure about the layoff). Glad to see the media spreading the word about this actually did some good for a change. 
kind of agree with you. i know there are packs of fans out there begging him to sell the team, but who knows. Dude does suck bad though

kind of agree with you. i know there are packs of fans out there begging him to sell the team, but who knows. Dude does suck bad though
Before they backtracked, Embiid said he would spend $500k to cover as much as he could of the employees salaries. Not sure but I think he's still donating $500k for relief to people in Philly who need it. 

Insein said:

Shockingly the numbers guy at Apollo is a POS.

60%????  Holy hell!  For a team that hasn't done anything noteworthy for, what, 20 years that is a staggering amount of money.  

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

New York Knicks owner James Dolan has tested positive for coronavirus.

9:06 PM · Mar 28, 2020

Knicks fan here.  Hold my McSorleys.

Actually they would be better off to be laid off.  Unemployment will be a lot more than they make.

According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN, the Nets "intend to use some of their young talent to acquire a third star along with Kyrie [Irving] and [Kevin] Durant."

Speaking on his "Hoop Collective" podcast, Windhorst believes the Nets are willing to shake up their roster to add an established star to the core of KD and Kyrie. "Now, we can get enter a healthy debate here about whether Caris LeVert is that third star and they make the decision that he is. But my feel, by reading the tea leaves, paying attention to what Sean Marks has said and also being aware of some conversations they had at the trade deadline, which was sticking the toe in the water on some things, I think they're going to swing for the fences whenever the season comes," said Windhorst. "They're going to have to potentially hire a coach that is going to help them do that."
Unless they plan to have him come off the bench as a 6th man, it's an absolute no brainer IMO for them to deal Levert. He's not going to be a "3rd star" in a role playing off the ball with Durant & Irving.

He did a pretty good job of rehabbing his value after Kyrie went down.

Long Ball Larry said:
And now Apollo is pushing for a cut of the fed relief bill.
Shocking...shocking I say.  Leon (guy who started Apollo) and Josh have their hands out everywhere and will screw you over for a penny.

The Bulls are looking for a new executive who apparently will have significant influence on decision making.  Among the guys being considered:

Nuggets general manager Arturas Karnisovas

Raptors general manager Bobby Webster

Heat assistant general manager Adam Simon

Do any of you have any opinions on any of these guys?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bulls are looking for a new executive who apparently will have significant influence on decision making.  Among the guys being considered:

Nuggets general manager Arturas Karnisovas

Raptors general manager Bobby Webster

Heat assistant general manager Adam Simon

Do any of you have any opinions on any of these guys?
Isn't there also a guy from the Pacers being considered?

I don't know how to assign credit within those team's front offices, but they are all really top notch.  I would be surprised if Simon left, because i think that there is a pretty easy succession path there when riley leaves and and Andy gets a bump, though I have no idea who is the frontrunner there.

I think that you would probably want Webster if he has learned a lot from Masai, though I think all 3 of them are from organizations that have been pretty strong on organizational development and finding guys that are below the radar, which the Bulls could really use.

I don't know how to assign credit within those team's front offices, but they are all really top notch.  I would be surprised if Simon left, because i think that there is a pretty easy succession path there when riley leaves and and Andy gets a bump, though I have no idea who is the frontrunner there.

I think that you would probably want Webster if he has learned a lot from Masai, though I think all 3 of them are from organizations that have been pretty strong on organizational development and finding guys that are below the radar, which the Bulls could really use.
The Pacers guy declined an interview request and wants to stay with the Pacers.

The Pacers guy declined an interview request and wants to stay with the Pacers.
i can't say i know all that much, but my general lean would be to Webster because I think that Toronto is probably the best organization in the league.

https://theathletic.com/1436139/#click=https://t.co/INsV2Uwlre

But behind Ujiri, Webster has watched, learned — and risen to the point of being a key piece of the Raptors NBA championship. Webster will bristle at that description, but it’s true. If Ujiri is the ship captain, Webster is the navigator.

“Bobby is making a lot of the decisions in terms of everything they do,” says one NBA player agent who works closely with the Raptors. “Masai is the lead role and the face of the program, and obviously very involved… but Bobby is the driving force, at least for me, for a lot of the decisions they make.”

Ujiri handpicked and mentored Webster, as they shared a vision for what the Raptors could be. And Ujiri knows Webster will soon outgrow his shadow.

“He’s going to head a team, at some point,” he says. “Hopefully he doesn’t overthrow me.”

Ujiri laughs playfully when he says that. But a few days later, Jeff Weltman, the former Raptors GM, says the same thing. That Webster will run his own franchise seems more likely a given than a possibility. The only question in their minds is when.

I'm a little bitter after the Pete D'Alessandro experience, I guess, but being Masai's right hand man isn't exactly a guarantee of future success.

I'm a little bitter after the Pete D'Alessandro experience, I guess, but being Masai's right hand man isn't exactly a guarantee of future success.
it seems like the culture of the kings might be generally broken, though, considering how much internal turmoil has existed over multiple regimes

it seems like the culture of the kings might be generally broken, though, considering how much internal turmoil has existed over multiple regimes
That's undeniably true.  But Pete played a significant role in continuing that.  He had a relatively blank slate, coming in after Vivek had done a lot of housecleaning after buying the team.  He and Chris Mullin were awful at both their jobs and culture-building, even by the Kings' franchise standards.  Among the local reporters, maybe only Eric Musselman compares with Pete in terms of how much they were hated.

I mean I knew this relationship was strained, but damn KG has some harsh words for Taylor.

Kevin Garnett was recently selected for enshrinement into the Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is "not entertaining" the idea of the Minnesota Timberwolves retiring his No. 21, saying he still hasn't forgiven team owner Glen Taylor after an acrimonious split in 2016.

"Glen knows where I'm at. I'm not entertaining it. First of all, it's not genuine. Two, he's getting pressure from a lot of fans and, I guess, the community there," Garnett told The Athletic. "Glen and I had an understanding before [former team president] Flip [Saunders] died, and when Flip died, that understanding went with Flip.

"For that, I won't forgive Glen. I won't forgive him for that. I thought he was a straight-up person, straight-up businessman, and when Flip died, everything went with him."

Saunders brought Garnett back to Minnesota in a trade in 2015, and the two talked about KG eventually becoming a minority owner.

Then Saunders suddenly died of lymphoma, and the Wolves were forced to move on with new leadership. Garnett told The AP in 2017 that he believes promises were broken. He retired in September 2016 after a tense buyout negotiation with Taylor.

"My years in Minnesota and in that community, I cherish," Garnett told The Athletic. "At this point, I don't want any dealings with Glen Taylor or Taylor Corp. or anything that has to do with him. I love my Timberwolves, I'll always love my guys, I'll always love the people who f--- with me there. I'll always have a special place for the city of Minneapolis and the state of Minnesota in my heart.

"But I don't do business with snakes. I don't do business with snake motherf---ers. I try not to do business with openly snakes or people who are snake-like."

If the season is full on cancelled, how many teams got the screw by trading picks for UFAs?  Was thinking about this for hockey, but Marcus Morris for a Clippers 1 and he played around 7 games that mean nothing......

If the season is full on cancelled, how many teams got the screw by trading picks for UFAs?  Was thinking about this for hockey, but Marcus Morris for a Clippers 1 and he played around 7 games that mean nothing......
Yea they lightning traded their entire future for a few guys in hockey. I think they’re just screwed. Sucks. 

Adrian Wojnarowski✔@wojespn

ESPN Sources: The Bulls and Arturas Karnisovas had permission granted to interview three of the franchise's GM candidates this week: Marc Eversley (76ers), Mark Hughes (Clippers) and Matt Lloyd (Magic).
Sixer fans:  Any opinions on Marc Eversley?

Not my idea, but I love it.

March Madness type tournament instead of trying to restart the season. Lakers/Bucks first round bye. Other 28 teams play first round game. Reseed after first round.

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(3)Raptors vs (30)Warriors

(4)Clippers vs (29)Wolves

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(10)Rockets vs (23)Hornets

(11)Mavericks vs (22)Wizards

(12)Pacers vs (21)Suns

(13)Sixers vs (20)Spurs

(14)Grizzlies vs (19)Kings

(15)Nets vs (18)Pelicans

(16)Magic vs (17)Blazers

Not my idea, but I love it.

March Madness type tournament instead of trying to restart the season. Lakers/Bucks first round bye. Other 28 teams play first round game. Reseed after first round.

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(3)Raptors vs (30)Warriors

(4)Clippers vs (29)Wolves

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(10)Rockets vs (23)Hornets