What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Proper etiquette while being a customer in Retail (1 Viewer)

It's more so talking about the customers who feel entitled to get whatever they want despite the company guideline or rules on sales or products or other rules a customer and employee have to obey. I hear I'm gonna shop else where all the time only to see these exact people in there shopping 2 days later. It's a bunch of empty threats. 

Yes you are correct on the customers aren't unlimited however theres a respect you should show the employees. Just because you have a better job doesn't mean you look down on people. I got a different uniform then others do to my department and its more professional shirt. I've noticed since starting to wear it I get treated with more respect amongst customers. Some also sometimes think I'm some sort of manager. I had one lady tell another employee yeah your manager over there helped me. She saw me and said he's not a manager he just works at another department so he has a different shirt. I didn't even tell her or act like I was a manager. I was just being friendly and professional. 
I understand what you are saying about demanding customers. But, as you mentioned there are those that are not so demanding. It all evens out. You give a little extra, you take a little extra. 

The question I would have, if you showed your list to your manager, his/her manager, and the owner/CEO of the company, would they agree with you or ask you to turn in your shirt? 

My carefully collated personal research has proven Sunday mornings before 11AM to be the prime grocery shopping time.  So no need to get up super early. Just gotta get in and out before 11 when churches start letting out. :bowtie:  
Yeah - for my Kroger's, that is a good time too.

I like stealth shopping (not shop-lifting), and surprising all the clerks with my speed and efficiency. 

Then, I end up talking to them waaaay too long because no one else is around. I've found some pretty good deals that I would have missed otherwise. For the most part, I really like the clerks.

6. If a line is predominately for certain customers or items don't try to come into the lane unless an employee manager or cashier allows it. I work beer and wine in PA with some unusual alcohol laws and only have designated registers for beer/wine. Don't be that person who doesn't have those items and has 20 items get into a busy line during rush hour simple because it was the first line you saw. Most of the time I see the express has 1-2 people. Walk down there. It also upsets the customers coming in for that one item of beer/wine lemons/lime etc for their drinks. Now they are upset and when they get to me I get to hear about it. That person has one line they can go too while you have 3-4. 
I find a few of your points confusing, but especially this one.

a) You want the person with 20 items to go to the express line?

b) There are places where you can only purchase a lemon at one of the available registers?

Shark move is to go at times when it's not crowded and you avoid 99% of problems.  No lines. No kids. Not even many people, except us other sharks. The problems are inconsiderate people. In fact, inconsiderate people are the majority of the world's problems these days, IMO. 
Yep. Definitely have used this strategy for grocery stores and gyms, typically going after midnight. Better yet, buy everything on line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I got one primary goal when I’m shopping, and it doesn’t matter if CVS, Whole Foods or Barney’s. In and out as fast as possible.

And walking out I always wonder why I didn’t buy that online.

I purposely don’t use the self checkout, my reasoning is that I try to use a live cashier mainly so they don’t loose their jobs due to the shoppers using the self checkout.  Is this a bad idea?
Was just discussing this with my dad. I pretty much only use self-checkout, and while I don't really know the impact it has on jobs, my feeling is that self-checkout, done right, can help stores get people in and out faster, meaning more money and more product moving. So, other jobs and more money to pay people with. I'd suspect self-checkout often leads to cashier jobs being moved to other parts of the store (or warehouses). And a good self-checkout attendant is worth their weight in gold. Just my guess.

One thing I have noticed, just anecdotally....the stores with the most self-checkout lanes seem to just have more people working there (often, including human cashiers). One store chain known for not doing self-checkout around here (Food Lion) just doesn't seem to employ very many people at all. Often they only have 2-3 cash registers going. Go down the street to Kroger during the same time of day, and they'll have 6 self-checkouts going along with 8-10 human cashiers. I go to Kroger because I'm going the GTH in and GTH out, even when the parking lot is full.

My feeling is that if a store can succeed in efficiently getting money out of your pocket, they'll have plenty of jobs. 

Odds Djackson is a millenial: 100%

What a whiny rant. Agreed with those who say you’re missing the main rule that customers are the reason you even have a job. 

And I’m not bagging your groceries. If you have to ring then bag a $300 order, you don’t get to be mad at the customer, you should be mad at: 

1) Your manager who can’t schedule for #### and has 3 baggers for a Saturday afternoon with 7 lanes open. 

2) Your lazy dip#### baggers who spend more time riding carts in the lot or actively avoiding doing anything but their jobs. 

Those are your problem, not the customer who’s reluctant to do a service they’re paying for. I’m also not volunteering to bus my own table at a restaurant to save the waiter the effort because the busboys are lazy. That’s on the manager and busboys. 

If We are going to have to bag our own groceries, we might as well buy everything online... then entitled retail twits will lose their jobs. 

Who talks to employees at a super market, outside the deli people

The deli and seafood counters are the only ones I choose to communicate with. They earned it

You listed a lot of rules but there is only one rule in retail.

the customer is always right.

:ptts:
You clearly didn't read this.

If you had, you'd have learned that the employee is always right. Customers....who needs 'em.

Or...try to be considerate, aware and conscientious in life, wherever you are or whatever you're doing- working, shopping, whatever. But if you work retail or in service industry- there are ways of acting all of those ways while still politely telling customers or clients no.

Yeah, TL:D

Also -- don't care. Pretty much know the basics of courtesy.

And no way am I bagging my own groceries unless, as said, it's understood that the customer is expected to. 

Aside from grocery shopping, I mostly go into stores for something I don't want to wait a couple days to get. I have worked retail as a temporary fill in job and agree there's a lot not to like about it. Thoughts & Prayers

In doing my part to keep the checkout process moving along. When there's a line behind me at checkout and I want to challenge a price. I just complete the transaction and go to the service desk to get it fixed. Am I alone in this?

Good news is that amazon will be delivering all of our groceries in a few years so you won't have to worry about anyone coming in and bothering you b/c the store won't be there anymore.

Regardless,  If you are in retail or any other customer facing position, you are there for the customer 100%. Yes some customers are complete #######s and others are nice and respectful. But I got bad news for you, I work in a corporate environment and guess what, I have colleagues who are nice and respectful and others that are complete #######s. Its not just limited to retail (or food service/restaurants which I did when in college). Thats life. 

But I got bad news for you, I work in a corporate environment and guess what, I have colleagues who are nice and respectful and others that are complete #######s. Its not just limited to retail (or food service/restaurants which I did when in college). Thats life. 
This is absolutely right. Some people are just...jerks. it's everywhere, not just retail. The two retail jobs I've had, I found the customers cooler than my colleagues, for the most part.

Working in retail for 15 yrs (Literally half my life) I've realized and seen some pretty messed up things from employees and customers and management. However nothing drives an employee more crazy then when you are a professional to the customer and they show very little care in the world about you. 

First and foremost lets go over some rules

1. When Shopping if you need a cart don't go #####ing to the first employee you see. I've come into work with no uniform on yet getting ready to go to the lockers to put my stuff on and I already got someone in my face cause they know I work there. Calmly go to the Customer Service desk as they will gladly help.

"No problem, we can help with that. I was just called into the back for an emergency, but if you go to customer service desk over there, they can help you out..ok? thanks!" 

2. While shopping if you see an employee in a rush and our something in their hand like a cart or whatever they are either helping a customer, putting a display up or something else productive. Please either move out of their way quickly or pay attention. Other customers also hate people not paying attention. Time is money. 

3. If an employee has food in their hand they most likely are either going on break or going home. Please don't stop them to ask them questions. Some employees won't mind but for those having a rough day its the last thing they want is being bothered while on a break. Breaks are time in most companies. Most of the time an employee will be apologetic and say they aren't on the clock. Don't try to snake your way into them helping you

Do you have to go through the customer areas when off the clock? Isn't there a back room and/or exit? Regardless, if you need to clock in and out, that clock would be back there so technically when walking to and from your past station, you are still 'on the clock' and getting paid. So an extra 30 seconds to direct a customer isn't a tough ask. 

4. Please read all the advertising for sales. Some stores follow a producer where if you spend X amount for their product, or you need the app of the store internet coupon for the sale. Also when it says 10 for 10 unless it says must buy all 10 you don't need too. Don't argue with employee because you read the ad wrong. Just apologize for the in convince. If th product is wrong by our mistake we will depending on our policy let you get it for free or for the sale price at that time. My company has a if it's wrong and it is $10 or more it's free for the exception of electronics and alcohol sales. 

This isn't a customers fault 100%. Companies have gotten stupid with their legal terms and conditions that most of the up front content on a coupon is meant to hook the customer but not actually deliver what is being presented. If you need a complicated chart to explain to someone what they need to o to save $0.10, then its a BS coupon and thats on your suppliers, not the customer. 

5. When at a register if it's an express don't be that clown that comes up with more items in their cart the what is said on the sign. If it's 10 or less or 15 or less don't come up with 20 or more items. 1-2 extra usually won't be an issue but just keep in mind some stores have charged in the past for bringing in more items. Also don't be that person complaining about the amount of items and trying to sucker a cashier into taking you. It's not fair if a customer buying 2-5 items comes up and has to wait for your lazy ### to be rung up simple cause you couldn't wait like an adult at another register. 

I'll admit, this is pet peeve of mine as well. But in any situation, there are jerk holes who fain ignorance. I almost got into a 'physical debate' with a guy at BJs once who showed up to the 10 or less line with an overflowing cart. 

6. If a line is predominately for certain customers or items don't try to come into the lane unless an employee manager or cashier allows it. I work beer and wine in PA with some unusual alcohol laws and only have designated registers for beer/wine. Don't be that person who doesn't have those items and has 20 items get into a busy line during rush hour simple because it was the first line you saw. Most of the time I see the express has 1-2 people. Walk down there. It also upsets the customers coming in for that one item of beer/wine lemons/lime etc for their drinks. Now they are upset and when they get to me I get to hear about it. That person has one line they can go too while you have 3-4. 

this is just a stupid rule and is on the location making that law. 

7. When an employee asks for ID just do it. Don't yell at them as they don't make the rules. If you aren't satisfied with the cashiers response ask them nicely to call a manager over. Don't try to be an entitled jackass because it won't get you far. That usually makes the manager's job even easier and sides with their employee and not you. If a line is beginning behind when you leave apologize for any inconvenience

These people are either 1. #######s in every walk of life, or 2. not old enough and don't want to get caught. Laugh it off and realize how stupid and sad their lives must be and move on. 

8. When going to a line please be ready. Have items up, method of payment ready, ID if needed and any coupons you have. A store type card or an internet rewards program can be typed into the EFT pad as well. Absolutely do not come in line while on your DAM PHONE!!! It is the rudest thing a customer can do. Some places such as getting your prescriptions at my local rite aide will refuse service to anyone who comes up on their phone. We cannot properly give you the Customer service you need or deserve if on the phone. If you are rung up and say Oh I forgot my card don't get mad at the cashier. You were on your phone thats your fault. Most of the time the cashier asks if you have the card or coupons but you were distracted on your phone. Either finish the call before coming in line or tell the person you will call back. 

For part 1. Not for nothing, I'm on my time. I just walked your whole store and collected stuff in a cart only to take it all back out again so you can ring it up, and then put it all back in again. If I'm not following your made up protocol to the letter, well then tough ####. Maybe i'm trying to keep my kid from grabbing something off your gum rack, or putting something in my cart I dosing know about and didn't pay for? Or maybe I should just let them be and give you another opportunity to complain, like in your next point. 

As for the cell phones, yep they are annoying, but are a part of life now. People are ##### when on their phones in many situations, its not just you.  

9. If you have kids it's not our responsibility to watch them. Pay attention if they are in employees or customers way. I've had kids knock over displays and parents don't do anything and walk away like they didn't do anything. Pay attention when walking too. If you knock something over apologize and offer to help clean it up. People run into my floral section at work constantly as they aren't paying attention knocking flowers over that have buckets of water in them. it inconveniences us to pick up after you.

Your training manual should say this on the cover—People suck, period. However for ever person who doesn't pick up after themselves, there will be another who will and actually apologize for it. But the people who are oblivious in your store, are the same ones who are oblivious everywhere. Its not like they walked through your doors and magically became inconsiderate. 

10. When in line if theres a huge line go to customer service and ask if they can get more cashiers. In no way do you tell them to call a manager up to check. Most managers don't know how and most stores the managers are not trained to check unless they run the department with the cashiers or behind the service desk. Most of the time managers can't be bothered coming up nor care. Trust me I've had ASD's, Grocery managers etc who refuse to not be bothered. 

I think I see the problem here...no additional commentary needed.

11. When asking for a product and we say we don't have it in stock don't bully the person to go in the back and double check. If a person says we don't have it we don't have it right now. I've had someone tell me well a truck pulled in can you find it in there? Look lady I don't know if the product will even be on there as sometimes stuff we order doesn't come in. Second we get 5-10 pallets of stuff coming in not including whats back there. For me to check all of that right now will take up over an hour at least. If we don't have it we don't have it

"Yes mame, things are being delivered on that truck, but until lit is all canned and put into our system I don't know what is in the shipment and unfortunately I can't sell it to you. If you'd like, visit customer service desk and they can put the items aside for you if there are there. 

12. If you have a complaint about an employee please tell the service desk and ASK FOR A MANAGER. Then go on the company website and file a customer complaint. Some managers don't care about customer complaining so your best corse of action to see results is email the company itself on the issue. It's the only way somethings are handled when higher ups get involved. 

again...no additional commentary needed.

13. This one bugs me a lot. Don't come into the store and if something is wrong or you feel you are not being treated well bring up you know someone in the company. If you are being a jerk we don't care. Also how are we suppose to know if you even know said person? I have guy who comes in constantly who is self-serving entitled jackass and brags how he knows one of the big shots in my company he apparently plays golf with. I think legit they only played twice and that was 10 yrs ago. 

Bad news for you, this happens at EVERY LEVEL of EVERYTHING. From your supermarket to Hollywood auditions and CEO meetings. Might want to try and learn how to deal with that. 

14. Treat the employees the way you'd want to be treated. Don't come in like an entitled jackass. No one likes it not even the customer behind you. Their job as an employee is hard enough some days. Don't be that person that gets online with video for berating some cashier or customer. Like I already stated if you are one the manager is taking the employees side. Also if you see another customer belittling an employee or making comments don't be afraid to say something to them. You have a right to stand up for them. If you aren't comfortable get another employee or go up to the service desk and ask to see a manager ASAP. Also keep the discussions non controversial. No one wants to hear your political banter. We were running a fundraiser for the Haiti Hurricane victims yrs ago and the guy told the cashier he wasn't going to support those N***ers. He went on a tirade and my one manager kicked him out empty handed cops were called. Also if an employee is great don't hesitate to write a review, call the company and tell them what a great job they did etc. Most companies reward that employee with a free lunch or something. 

That N-hater guy prob does that to Girl Scouts selling cookies too, he's just an ####### who is a ##### 24 hours a day. Don't make him my fault. Regardless, people sometimes have bad days just like you and unfortunately take it out on non-deserving people. I'm sure at some point in your life, you blew up at someone who at the end of day didn't deserve it. But the difference is, you see hundreds of customers in a day so the probably it more in your favor of running into a jack hole then others. Just the law of averages. Don't like it, then get a job where you don't interact with as many people. 

15. If you are in a big line if capable bag your stuff. Its brutal being a checker and the last thing the cashier wants to do is bag a $300-400 grocery order with a willing healthy customer just standing there and watching them. It's also rude as theres customers behind you. Don't be that person who says "oh I have to bag my own stuff?" no you don't have to but common courtesy if you have a lot is to help bag your stuff especially if the next thing that comes out of your mouth is complaining how the cashier bagged it. 

Sorry, do I get a discount for doing someone else work? How come 2 lines over there is a bagger but not on my line? Do they pay more for having a bagger? I'm being a bit over the top, but its true. As I said before, I just loaded and unloaded the cart, now I need to bag it all again. Let me guess, you are someone who complains about the technology to let customers each have a hand scanner and ring up their food while shopping, saying, 'Its taking away good jobs!'? Yea, I'll help, but at the end of the day, it's not my job. If I chose to not bag, then I have that right. And why should you care if its considerate or not to other customers, thats not your job. Your job is to finalize my shopping experience, and that includes bagging the items I just bought from your market. 

16. Cashiers hate the wise ### remarks. If it doesn't ring up don't say "Oh I guess is free" and that other bull####, We hear it enough and you aren't funny. It's just annoying. When coming up to an empty register don't say oh you look bored. Again been there done that. 

Right, so now 1. Be ready with payment, 2. Follow instructions 3. Don't be on any devices that could distract you from allowing me to do my job the way I want to...and now 4. Don't talk to me? Really? You may have heard it 100 times before, but the customer is trying to be nice and engage with you some light hearted conversation. I don't know you personally, and I know this exchange is going to be quick, so i'm not going discuss quantum physics with you as you put my produce on a scale and push some buttons. 

17. Last don't be that customer that tries to come in 5 mins before we close especially holiday season. I have people try to barge their way in. Sorry not happening should've come sooner. 

People forget stuff, get busier then expect or just simply run out of time. If your posted closing time is X, those doors better be open right until that time. 

If you follow most of these you will have a great day shopping. The employees will like you if you are a frequent customer and may reward you more as well for that loyalty. 

Sorry man, but I don't know about any where else, but I have 3-4 supermarkets within easy reach of my house, I visit them all and I couldn't remember 1 person I interacted with by the time I walk out the doors, let alone whenever I come back.  Not to be a ####, but you are frankly not that important to me. I want my food, pay and get out. Shopping is a chore for me, not a social activity. 

#15 is BS. If I want to bag all my stuff I’ll go to Aldi or Shop n Save or wherever else they don’t have baggers. Plus the checkers make so many errors you gotta watch em like a hawk and not worry about doing the stores job for them.
I always like bagging myself.  For some reason all of the baggers in our area seem to think that putting more than 2 items in a bag is against the law.

What a whiny rant. Agreed with those who say you’re missing the main rule that customers are the reason you even have a job. 

And I’m not bagging your groceries. If you have to ring then bag a $300 order, you don’t get to be mad at the customer, you should be mad at: 

1) Your manager who can’t schedule for #### and has 3 baggers for a Saturday afternoon with 7 lanes open. 

2) Your lazy dip#### baggers who spend more time riding carts in the lot or actively avoiding doing anything but their jobs. 

Those are your problem, not the customer who’s reluctant to do a service they’re paying for. I’m also not volunteering to bus my own table at a restaurant to save the waiter the effort because the busboys are lazy. That’s on the manager and busboys. 

If We are going to have to bag our own groceries, we might as well buy everything online... then entitled retail twits will lose their jobs. 
You nailed it.  

Good news is that amazon will be delivering all of our groceries in a few years so you won't have to worry about anyone coming in and bothering you b/c the store won't be there anymore.

Regardless,  If you are in retail or any other customer facing position, you are there for the customer 100%. Yes some customers are complete #######s and others are nice and respectful. But I got bad news for you, I work in a corporate environment and guess what, I have colleagues who are nice and respectful and others that are complete #######s. Its not just limited to retail (or food service/restaurants which I did when in college). Thats life. 
Yep - I get it, you're exposed to more people so you spend more time & energy dealing with #######s.  There isn't a disproportionate number of #######s that go shopping though.  There's just more of both of them, so it seems that way.  

I dont engage with workers at grocery stores at all. I would hate to be the guy that broke up their social hour talking between registers even when they have customers. 

I don't agree with a lot of this.  Any time one can help with the efficiency of an operation I think they should do it.  Sure, if your help will just cause further delay then don't.  But my wife and I practice a lot of what he is asking of others.  We respect other people's time and try to think outside of our immediate wants.

Aside from grocery shopping, I mostly go into stores for something I don't want to wait a couple days to get. I have worked retail as a temporary fill in job and agree there's a lot not to like about it. Thoughts & Prayers

In doing my part to keep the checkout process moving along. When there's a line behind me at checkout and I want to challenge a price. I just complete the transaction and go to the service desk to get it fixed. Am I alone in this?
Nope - there's no benefit to holding up the line.  The cashier probably can't help and anyone they'd call up would probably just steer you somewhere else anyway.  Respect the time of those waiting in line behind you and go to a location in which the store has a setup to facilitate whatever problem occurred.

16. Cashiers hate the wise ### remarks. If it doesn't ring up don't say "Oh I guess is free" and that other bull####,
Hated hearing this when I worked in retail. But I do find myself doing it sometimes as a customer. I know it's not actually funny or clever I feel like I gotta do something to fill the awkward silence when things go wrong.

Hated hearing this when I worked in retail. But I do find myself doing it sometimes as a customer. I know it's not actually funny or clever I feel like I gotta do something to fill the awkward silence when things go wrong.
"This is where I am supposed to say 'I I guess this is free' then the second I leave you make fun of the customer to your co-workers."

Almost always yields an audible laugh.

First and foremost lets go over some rules

1. When Shopping if you need a cart don't go #####ing to the first employee you see. I've come into work with no uniform on yet getting ready to go to the lockers to put my stuff on and I already got someone in my face cause they know I work there. Calmly go to the Customer Service desk as they will gladly help

2. While shopping if you see an employee in a rush and our something in their hand like a cart or whatever they are either helping a customer, putting a display up or something else productive. Please either move out of their way quickly or pay attention. Other customers also hate people not paying attention. Time is money. 

3. If an employee has food in their hand they most likely are either going on break or going home. Please don't stop them to ask them questions. Some employees won't mind but for those having a rough day its the last thing they want is being bothered while on a break. Breaks are time in most companies. Most of the time an employee will be apologetic and say they aren't on the clock. Don't try to snake your way into them helping you

4. Please read all the advertising for sales. Some stores follow a producer where if you spend X amount for their product, or you need the app of the store internet coupon for the sale. Also when it says 10 for 10 unless it says must buy all 10 you don't need too. Don't argue with employee because you read the ad wrong. Just apologize for the in convince. If th product is wrong by our mistake we will depending on our policy let you get it for free or for the sale price at that time. My company has a if it's wrong and it is $10 or more it's free for the exception of electronics and alcohol sales. 
These first four read like a crappy retail employee playbook. 

Somebody was too lazy to go get the carts and put them in the front of the store. Somebody else is running late for work so they have to run to the back to punch in/log in before getting dressed so their time sheet doesn't show them as being late. Then an employee is in a rush to get stuff done because they spent too much time chatting about youtube videos and now demand that customers gtfo the way so they can hurry. Another employee is hungover so they cant wait to shove the fast food they bought in the front of the store in their face as they walk through the store instead of being a decent well mannered individual and eating in the employee break room. Probably playing some dumb video on their phone while walking through store eating a slice of pizza and expecting everybody to part for them like the red sea and have to listen to their phone.

Then of course we have the stupid dishonest marketing department employees that love using fine print. 10 for 10!!! well actually in microscopic print they are 1.00 each. Then of course you have the 4 for 12 but they are 4.49 each in the fine print. Oh I am sorry Mr. Lazy employee that my grandma has to bother you since she didn't read the newspaper spam that you sent to her that she cant opt out of and she cant get down on her hands and knees to read the stupid little tag that you purposely put on the bottom shelf because you don't want people to actually know the real deal.

I don't agree with a lot of this.  Any time one can help with the efficiency of an operation I think they should do it.  Sure, if your help will just cause further delay then don't.  But my wife and I practice a lot of what he is asking of others.  We respect other people's time and try to think outside of our immediate wants.
I'm in the same camp, but I also know that while I normally respect peoples time, but sometimes I'm not. You cant be Mr Rodgers 100% of the time for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone can be, even the nicest people can be having tough day or be distracted or just not 100% in tune with everything all the time. Problem is that we don't always interact with the same cashier each time we go to the store, so there is no way for that employees to know "wow, Mr Glvsav37 is rude today, maybe he's having a bad day?" Instead the OP is lumping all of those single bad interactions, among 100s of people per shift into 'us people' 

Have I checked out while on my cell phone, yea...didi I like it, no, I try not to let it happen, but it does. Sorry Mr Cashier, but thats life. I'm moving around getting through my day, and you are standing there working. When i'm working, I don't get caught up in my phone, but I also don't interact with other people mostly. Maybe the next 10 times I check out, my phone is in my pocket, does it still make me a bad customer in the OP's eyes? 

I hope Amazon gets all the customers that take up 2 parking spaces, roll their cart into me or my car, and mostly the idiots who stop in the out door to check their groceries as people back up behind them.

I manage a small but successful retail business. While I think that the majority of our customers are amazing--I will say that many modern day consumers can absolutey be dooshy.   In the past I have  actually contemplated starting my own thread where I post some of the interesting things that occur in my life and workplace--including some stories about interesting consumer interactions.  Full disclosure--I'm not saying that I fully agree or disagree with the OP as I honestly did not read his entire post.   

I'm only leaving my current job for FT with benefits. I make $13.40 Per hour.
You need to get into another field as quickly as possible. This is ludicrous money at 31 years old. You will never move out of your parents home making that little money.

I got my step son, who just completed his freshman year in college, an internship at my company and he's getting $17.50 an hour (and doing very little). I thought you posted you at some point that you went to the University of Florida. I don't care about your inability to drive, there is always public transportation.  Settling for a job at a Supermarket and staying there for 15 years isn't doing you any good - it's pigeon holing you into a dead-end job. Even if you had to take slightly less money to get a position with room for growth you need to act on it. Unfortunately it may already be too late as your resume will look pretty poor, but you need to at least make an effort.

Why are you not at least a store manager with a college degree? That's not a great life either but it could lead to better things.

I'm not trying to be demeaning, I just think you lack motivation and I'm surprised no one has kicked you in the ### (figuratively) and told you to look for a real job. I know the market can be tough, but there are ways to break in. Instead of #####ing about "bad" customers you should be pounding the streets looking for a way out.   

In a vacuum, sure. 

But in this reality, this occasional kindness is taken advantage of and becomes expected. We are already now checking our own groceries out.

If more people consistently bag their own stuff, managers will notice and not staff as many baggers. You’re suddenly expected to perform a service you are paying for. #### that. 

These first four read like a crappy retail employee playbook. 

Somebody was too lazy to go get the carts and put them in the front of the store. Somebody else is running late for work so they have to run to the back to punch in/log in before getting dressed so their time sheet doesn't show them as being late. Then an employee is in a rush to get stuff done because they spent too much time chatting about youtube videos and now demand that customers gtfo the way so they can hurry. Another employee is hungover so they cant wait to shove the fast food they bought in the front of the store in their face as they walk through the store instead of being a decent well mannered individual and eating in the employee break room. Probably playing some dumb video on their phone while walking through store eating a slice of pizza and expecting everybody to part for them like the red sea and have to listen to their phone.

Then of course we have the stupid dishonest marketing department employees that love using fine print. 10 for 10!!! well actually in microscopic print they are 1.00 each. Then of course you have the 4 for 12 but they are 4.49 each in the fine print. Oh I am sorry Mr. Lazy employee that my grandma has to bother you since she didn't read the newspaper spam that you sent to her that she cant opt out of and she cant get down on her hands and knees to read the stupid little tag that you purposely put on the bottom shelf because you don't want people to actually know the real deal.
You're not wrong, but I think it's important to note who those actual employees are.  For many it's either a first job - or a side job.  Many other fits, but those two immediately came to mind.  Some are going to approach it the same as they would anything else they do - whether good or bad.  If you expect the norm to be the good then you're kidding yourself.  If you expect quality service then you have to pay for it.  Because the ones at this company that are actually making money making the decisions that create the environment you're describing aren't actually on site.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather put a little more effort in and pay less. 

Have I checked out while on my cell phone, yea...didi I like it, no, I try not to let it happen, but it does. Sorry Mr Cashier, but thats life. 
I've actually seen cashiers at Shop Rite texting on their phone between customers on line seemingly oblivious that even holding up the line for 10-15 seconds is rude. Now these are usually young kids so I'm not going to look to get them fired or cause a scene but it's far worse than a customer on a phone while checking out.

In a vacuum, sure. 

But in this reality, this occasional kindness is taken advantage of and becomes expected. We are already now checking our own groceries out.

If more people consistently bag their own stuff, managers will notice and not staff as many baggers. You’re suddenly expected to perform a service you are paying for. #### that. 
No you're not.  Or at least i don't.  I shop at a variety of stores, but one of the reasons Aldi has become #2 on my list (behind a local market) is the cost.  Why is the cost so low?  They don't have baggers and it's on the customer to take care of the carts, among other things in their business model.  Like any sane person I'm selective about what I actually buy there, but that's where we get many of our staples.  $0.59 for a bag of pretzels, $0.49 for a dozen eggs, $1.49 for cottage cheese, $1.79 for a pack of ice cream sandwiches, etc.  Sign me up.

Wrong this is complete bull####. Most of the stuff is done by Computer. Its usually a computer error. We have stuff we put in for sales and sometimes the CPU reads it wrong. Its not caught until theres an issue at the register. This isn't the old days where the cashier knows every price. Thats another thing I hate customers thinking you should know the prices of everything. In a huge store you don't know every price and theres no meetings start of sales week telling everyone what the sales are especially with shift work. If you are that paranoid about the cashier messing up theres always self check out you can use 
eff that, I'm not bagging my own stuff. 

Not sure why I started doing it but whenever I go grocery shopping, I grab a cart from the parking lot and bring it in to use. I never take a cart back outside because I grab $20-$50 each time I go and that is 3-4 reusable bags of stuff only.

If everyone grabbed a cart when they went into the store, it'd help out each shopper.

If you expect the norm to be the good then you're kidding yourself.  If you expect quality service then you have to pay for it.  Because the ones at this company that are actually making money making the decisions that create the environment you're describing aren't actually on site.  I won't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather put a little more effort in and pay less. 
I don't expect the norm to be the good. I know most people are lazy. 

What I think is dumb is when those same lazy employees are writing manifestos trying to make standard interactions or understandable inquiries seem like bad behavior when the most likely explanation for being annoyed by said behaviors is that the complaining employee(or a coworker) is the one in the wrong in the first place.

I agree with most and I try to do everything I can to make it easier for retail employees. I was at CVS last week and there was only one girl on the floor and I could not find an item I was looking for, the girl was in a texting conversation so I did not want to bother her, took me 5-6 minutes but I did find what I was looking for on my own.

No you're not.  Or at least i don't.  I shop at a variety of stores, but one of the reasons Aldi has become #2 on my list (behind a local market) is the cost.  Why is the cost so low?  They don't have baggers and it's on the customer to take care of the carts, among other things in their business model.  Like any sane person I'm selective about what I actually buy there, but that's where we get many of our staples.  $0.59 for a bag of pretzels, $0.49 for a dozen eggs, $1.49 for cottage cheese, $1.79 for a pack of ice cream sandwiches, etc.  Sign me up.
So you’re trying to prove that I’m not paying for service at Kroger by telling me about the prices at Aldi, a place built around no service?

um... okay :)  

If I’m at a Kroger or Publix, and paying those prices, you are performing the services I’m paying for. 

Kind of off-topic, but does anyone know why Wholefoods has security like it's protecting diamonds and jewelry?

Our WF has like 3 off-duty cops at all times and they're fully locked and loaded. Guns, tasers, bullet proof vests, tactical gear. :lol:  
It's really difficult and expensive to make things like asparagus water.  They have to protect their inventory.

So you’re trying to prove that I’m not paying for service at Kroger by telling me about the prices at Aldi, a place built around no service?

um... okay :)  
I don't think my helping out the line the 2 times a month I go to Giant Eagle and spend maybe $50 is going to negatively impact anyone's decision making.  I'm just doing my part to make it as quick and painless of an experience for everyone because most of us want to be out of there as quickly as possible.

I don't expect the norm to be the good. I know most people are lazy. 

What I think is dumb is when those same lazy employees are writing manifestos trying to make standard interactions or understandable inquiries seem like bad behavior when the most likely explanation for being annoyed by said behaviors is that the complaining employee(or a coworker) is the one in the wrong in the first place.
Maybe, maybe not.  I've been actively trying to get out of the business of making assumptions.  Like you, I expect people to be lazy.  But unless you actually give me reason to think you are then I'm not going to assume you're one of them.  I never worked retail, but I worked in restaurants and there are parallels.  This reminded me of things we used to talk about.  And some of those doing the talking were part of the problem, but it certainly wasn't all.  It has influenced my decision making as an adult though.

15. If you are in a big line if capable bag your stuff. Its brutal being a checker and the last thing the cashier wants to do is bag a $300-400 grocery order with a willing healthy customer just standing there and watching them. It's also rude as theres customers behind you. Don't be that person who says "oh I have to bag my own stuff?" no you don't have to but common courtesy if you have a lot is to help bag your stuff especially if the next thing that comes out of your mouth is complaining how the cashier bagged it. 
This may be a socio-cultural thing in different parts of the country. I know, too, that in some parts of Europe customers routinely bag their own items all the time and are completely used to it.

That said ... around here, customers rarely ever bag groceries. Bagging groceries is considered as integral to a cashier's job as operating the register itself. Bagging is not a supplemental task and it's not a courtesy to the customer -- bagging IS the job.

Furthermore, around here, if you're behind someone with a ton of stuff and the cashier is bagging it with both due haste and care ... you don't get mad that the customer ahead of you should be bagging their own stuff so you can get out faster. Waiting for the cashier to bag is part of the overhead of going grocery shopping, and being impatient about it is gauche. We'd no more expect the person in front of us to bag than we'd expect the person in front of us to start scanning their own food and operating the register.

That said: there is sometimes a younger, greener set of cashiers who can't bag as they go, so they scan everything first and make a big pile, THEN they bag. And sometimes -- just now and then -- they kind of give you a look and give off a vibe of "Why didn't you bag your groceries -- you'd have gotten out quicker." But cases like that are outliers, and the cashiers that feel like customers should bag are typically considered to be out of line.

Not sure why I started doing it but whenever I go grocery shopping, I grab a cart from the parking lot and bring it in to use. I never take a cart back outside because I grab $20-$50 each time I go and that is 3-4 reusable bags of stuff only.

If everyone grabbed a cart when they went into the store, it'd help out each shopper.
Everyone knows the carts in the corral are dirty and low class.  Carts lined up in front or actually in the store are classier.

Users who are viewing this thread