What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daniel Craig's replacement to be introduced in new Bond Movie (1 Viewer)

I think it’s about brand loyalty.  So predicting a drop in gross revenue here.  Last movie did 1.1 billion roughly.  I’m saying revenue will drop.  What prediction are you comfortable with?
I have no idea. 

The idea that people would blindly say they are not seeing this because some chick is playing 007 without knowing anything about who is making it, who is writing it, etc is kind of bizarre to me.

They know this isn’t based on a real person right?

I have no idea. 

The idea that people would blindly say they are not seeing this because some chick is playing 007 without knowing anything about who is making it, who is writing it, etc is kind of bizarre to me.

They know this isn’t based on a real person right?
People have expectations with anything.  Are you really that color blind?  Hey I have a new movie idea  - black panther starting Matt Damon.. 

People have expectations with anything.  Are you really that color blind?  Hey I have a new movie idea  - black panther starting Matt Damon.. 
Maybe call it White Panther and I’m in. 

007 is a spy. The character can be anyone. 

The awful remake of Ghostbusters made in the same ballpark as the original.  I’m guessing the people that invest in films getting made have done their homework. 

Following Craig is a thankless job that’s likely a fail so I get their attempt to totally revisit

I object more to makingn bond serial as opposed to episodic.  Carrying over too much story paints you in a corner in a franchise this old
People were crapping their pants about Craig before the first one came out. Then they realized he was awesome at it, the script was decent, had a good director, etc. 

People were crapping their pants about Craig before the first one came out. Then they realized he was awesome at it, the script was decent, had a good director, etc. 
I don't recall pants crapping, I do know Bond felt dead as a doornail at that point, like there was nothing left to do with this character.  Craig is great, and I liked personally what they did with it, but it was a bit of a cheat to have the carryover movie to movie.  I mean, a hardcore bond fan will love Skyfall but emotionally investing in M and things like the Aston Martin are a big cheat and not exactly fair to the franchise going forward because if you're going to do that with the universe, how do you top it?

Craig coming back at all is probably a huge mistake but a testament to his star power, which does seem limited to this character.   Much like Moore, he couldn't do anything with other roles but he was a star in this role.  What guy could you basically reboot all you've done with to tell new spy stories.  Bond became a personal character with connections, feelings and relations.  Made for a nice character but hamstrung things.

I always say Bond is like the Beach Boys.  The Beach Boys weren't the Beatles, but they got to a pretty good level and they were able to stay there and they're still going out touring today.   They have a dedicated base that supports them.  Now that Bond is a blockbuster and apparently has blockbuster expectations based on recent receipts, the whole thing may be skewed.

So a black female 007 may make the most sense in the world 

Especially if it means you can keep Craig as some sort of Yoda.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall pants crapping, I do know Bond felt dead as a doornail at that point, like there was nothing left to do with this character.  Craig is great, and I liked personally what they did with it, but it was a bit of a cheat to have the carryover movie to movie.  I mean, a hardcore bond fan will love Skyfall but emotionally investing in M and things like the Aston Martin are a big cheat and not exactly fair to the franchise going forward because if you're going to do that with the universe, how do you top it?

Craig coming back at all is probably a huge mistake but a testament to his star power, which does seem limited to this character.   Much like Moore, he couldn't do anything with other roles but he was a star in this role.  What guy could you basically reboot all you've done with to tell new spy stories.  Bond became a personal character with connections, feelings and relations.  Made for a nice character but hamstrung things.

I always say Bond is like the Beach Boys.  The Beach Boys weren't the Beatles, but they got to a pretty good level and they were able to stay there and they're still going out touring today.   They have a dedicated base that supports them.  Now that Bond is a blockbuster and apparently has blockbuster expectations based on recent receipts, the whole thing may be skewed.

I remember the tabloids making fun of Craig as the new Bond. Too boring, blond, no star power.

it doesn’t matter if the story is good who plays 007.

But apparently people are not going to see it regardless if it’s good because it’s just too crazy for them to take. 

Lol “nothing left to do with this character.” Let’s try doing the same old thing. 

car chase, gunfire, bikinis, secret lab with fun everyday items that do something crazy, bikinis, car chase with clever car gadgets, captured by bad guy, uses clever everyday item spy tool to escape, gunfire, boat chase, and finally more bikinis. 

It has worked for like 20 movies with virtually no character depth or development.

Im curious to see if they change that recipe. Is lady Bond going to bang some dudes to get info or just to pass the time because spy stuff isn’t happening until the morning? Will there be a bunch of cliche inserts pointing out the old cliches? 

Following Craig is a thankless job that’s likely a fail so I get their attempt to totally revisit

I object more to makingn bond serial as opposed to episodic.  Carrying over too much story paints you in a corner in a franchise this old
I agree 100%.  This franchise works best when each movie is basically a one-off.

The General said:
Please tell me people are really upset about this :lol:
You know there are.  Did you happen to catch the outrage of the new Little Mermaid being black?

ETA:  But all the reactions in these two will pale in comparison to the new Captain America being black.  That will be the ####storm of all ####storms in specific circles.

Lol “nothing left to do with this character.” Let’s try doing the same old thing. 

car chase, gunfire, bikinis, secret lab with fun everyday items that do something crazy, bikinis, car chase with clever car gadgets, captured by bad guy, uses clever everyday item spy tool to escape, gunfire, boat chase, and finally more bikinis. 

It has worked for like 20 movies with virtually no character depth or development.

Im curious to see if they change that recipe. Is lady Bond going to bang some dudes to get info or just to pass the time because spy stuff isn’t happening until the morning? Will there be a bunch of cliche inserts pointing out the old cliches? 
We live in a modern world, where the logical point of where you'd take Bond is now a third rail amongst financiers, in that they are so afraid of the Chinese market, you don't get much of them as a logical antagonist.  

You took Bond through the Cold War, and then into the terror age, and even the quantum of solace/skyfall arc somewhat openly touched upon the antiquated nature of a "super spy" concept in the face of technology being the next wave of espionage.  

In terms of the casting, ever choice seems like a reaction.  Connery was the Flemming prototype as I understand it(haven't read the books) but dark haired, dark eyed, mysterious suave.   How do you follow Connery?  After a Lazenby miss, Moore takes the tone in a totally different direction that I think worked.  Dalton is a return to form but really was a poor placeholder as for some reason Pierce Brosnan didn't want to do it in 1987.  But he was pretty serviceable in the role.  Craig, indeed, the blonde Bond, yet another reaction but I don't know many who saw "Layer Cake" who doubted him, he had great presence.  How do you follow Craig, you do another 180 on the concept.  If this chick flops, we go back to where it belongs anyway, a constant reboot.  

Franchise was stale in the 70's.  Craig sort of revived it.  If her being 007 upsets folks maybe she can advance to 006 by the end of the movie.  Me, I will not watch it in the theater, but I have never seen a Bond movie in the theater.  maybe I will watch when it comes on T.V., if there is still T.V.

I haven't seen a Bond movie since Octo#####.  I guess I didn't miss much.

Does this new 007 have any ties back to the recent Moneypenny character (played by a black female the last 2-3 movies).  She was actually training, and shot Bond/007 in Skyfall - has she been promoted to active duty......or is this a brand new black female in the Bond world?

I think it’s about brand loyalty.  So predicting a drop in gross revenue here.  Last movie did 1.1 billion roughly.  I’m saying revenue will drop.  What prediction are you comfortable with?
That was two movies ago (Skyfall).  Last movie hasn't hit $880m yet.  Neither of the two before them (both with Daniel Craig, one of which I still feel is the best Bond ever) topped $600m, though are both 10+ years old now.  Anyway, average of last 4, with Craig, has been about $800m - seems like a nice round number.  Go with that?

Predicting a flop at theaters.  Good bye to the brand loyalty and say hi to political correctness.. who want odds?
I haven't seen the movie, I haven't seen the script, I have no idea who the villain is but just like Capt Marvel a woman so flop. Oh wait.

I really wanted Idris Elba for the next Bond. So I'm a little disappointed but I will give them a chance to do something good and will judge on the merits not the sexual organs of 007.

It's probably worth noting that the story in the OP doesn't actually say that this actress is going to be replacing Craig.  Just that her character has been assigned Bond's old number after his retirement, which is apparently returning from.

It's probably worth noting that the story in the OP doesn't actually say that this actress is going to be replacing Craig.  Just that her character has been assigned Bond's old number after his retirement, which is apparently returning from.
Well Craig has made it pretty clear he is done playing Bond. I'm kind of surprised they actually got him to do one more. So a replacement is incoming. Introducing them in this movie would be a great way to pass the torch.

Well Craig has made it pretty clear he is done playing Bond. I'm kind of surprised they actually got him to do one more. So a replacement is incoming. Introducing them in this movie would be a great way to pass the torch.
Maybe.  But the story in the OP actually says very little while trying very hard to get a certain segment of people worked up.

I think it was dumb to go from a man to a woman. Bond has always been about action and seduction. 

This will flop like ghost busters did. 

No.  007 is definitely a specific character type.  I think race is irrelevant as long as the nationality is British (obviously).  It doesn’t work with a female though.
I am just passing a long what I thought read the plan was. I have seen a bunch of the movies, but I don't know what the mechanics of the double 0 world are. 

Does this new 007 have any ties back to the recent Moneypenny character (played by a black female the last 2-3 movies).  She was actually training, and shot Bond/007 in Skyfall - has she been promoted to active duty......or is this a brand new black female in the Bond world?
New. Moneypenny didn't want active status, basically because of the pressure

Ok, so why couldn't he retire and his license be passed on to someone else? Or does he get to keep killing people in retirement?
He can. I think we saw a flashback in Skyfall to when he got his licence to kill and the 007 moniker. IIRC there are up to 12 00s

New. Moneypenny didn't want active status, basically because of the pressure
As the post right about yours said - it's an action movie, you can write around anything.  I thought it would have been cool to have this character be Moneypenny, just as an agent.  You can bring back Bond/007 anytime to help if she gets in a jam.  Just odd to give her the 007 number rather than any other number.  Have her in the same "film universe", just not the official "007". 

As the post right about yours said - it's an action movie, you can write around anything.  I thought it would have been cool to have this character be Moneypenny, just as an agent.  You can bring back Bond/007 anytime to help if she gets in a jam.  Just odd to give her the 007 number rather than any other number.  Have her in the same "film universe", just not the official "007". 
As I remember the canon, there are up to 12 00s at any time and the numbers are reused

Users who are viewing this thread