What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daniel Craig's replacement to be introduced in new Bond Movie (2 Viewers)

No it doesn’t. Agree race doesn’t matter. But needs to be British and a male. Sorry. Ticket sales will reflect this.    
Why does it have to be a guy?

Honestly don’t care if it makes less money. I’m not invested in Warner Bros or whoever is making this.

There are some characters whose gender is inextricably tied to the whole notion of the character's existence and story.  For example, it would be very difficult for me to imagine King Lear as a woman or Medea as a man.  Not saying it absolutely can't be done, just that it would be sort of messed up and would change the character to the point that it's really not the same character anymore. 

James Bond is like that.  He's supposed to be the personification of a certain type of manliness.  Casting a woman in that role would be an interesting thought-piece that prompts us to rethink our conceptions of gender roles and maybe makes some broader philosophical points -- I don't know, because I haven't really given it much thought.  But the character would no longer be "James Bond."  It would be some other parody or counter-factual.

Honestly don’t care if it makes less money. I’m not invested in Warner Bros or whoever is making this.
I am guessing they did this sadly for political reason not because it would help the franchise.  

Bond in the books kills bad guys and bangs chicks. Sorry but it’s true. 

Want a woman action hero, create a new moving with a compelling story. Don’t ruin Bond. 

FYI I really liked Wonder Woman, don’t like the actress or her politics but enjoyed the movie because it was good. Could a man be Wonder Woman?  Probably to some of you lefties but the vast amount of Americans expect a woman to play this roll like they expect a man to play Bond. 

There are some characters whose gender is inextricably tied to the whole notion of the character's existence and story.  For example, it would be very difficult for me to imagine King Lear as a woman or Medea as a man.  Not saying it absolutely can't be done, just that it would be sort of messed up and would change the character to the point that it's really not the same character anymore. 

James Bond is like that.  He's supposed to be the personification of a certain type of manliness.  Casting a woman in that role would be an interesting thought-piece that prompts us to rethink our conceptions of gender roles and maybe makes some broader philosophical points -- I don't know, because I haven't really given it much thought.  But the character would no longer be "James Bond."  It would be some other parody or counter-factual.
I don’t think this new character is going to go by Bond. Also, assuming 007 is just the number for the agent and there was one before “James Bond” I’m picturing maybe an “Alalster” or a “Nigel”. I didn’t even click on original story so really don’t even know what they are doing.

Regardless, a good script with a badass chick would be just fine. There would be a lot of easy comedic lines to drop, in some fun play with sexuality, taking the piss out of the stereotypical Bond character from the Connery days.

If the movie is good I’ll watch. If it stinks I’m going to pass.

I am guessing they did this sadly for political reason not because it would help the franchise.  

Want a woman action hero, create a new moving with a compelling story. Don’t ruin Bond. 

FYI I really liked Wonder Woman, don’t like the actress or her politics but enjoyed the movie because it was good. Could a man be Wonder Woman?  Probably to some of you lefties but the vast amount of Americans expect a woman to play this roll like they expect a man to play Bond. 
I’m guessing the studios want to make money. 

My understanding is that she will be “007,” not “James Bond.”  Daniel Craig is supposed to be in  handoff picture. The same way there are multiple “M”s in the series. It’s a title. 

My understanding is that she will be “007,” not “James Bond.”  Daniel Craig is supposed to be in  handoff picture. The same way there are multiple “M”s in the series. It’s a title. 
That's mine too. I just seriously doubt that a female character will take the lead in the James Bond franchise, and again I will note for the record that the article in the OP goes to great lengths to avoid saying otherwise while attracting as many clicks as possible.

Edit: I mean, obviously we'll see.  This is just speculation and it's not as if the franchise belongs to me personally or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it's not as if it's somehow impossible to make a good movie feature a female secret agent.  Kill Bill is one of my all-time favorite movies, and is another good example of a film where you can't just flip the gender of the main character and expect it to work the same way.

Yes, I'm sure that outweighed making more money.  Movie companies work that way.
Right, it could go wrong but this is definitely an attempt to make money. The last few Bond movies have been huge moneymakers. There is now way they would do something with this franchise unless they think it is going to be a big hit. I don't see any reason a bad ### sexy British agent spy action movie couldn't do well. 

Right, it could go wrong but this is definitely an attempt to make money. The last few Bond movies have been huge moneymakers. There is now way they would do something with this franchise unless they think it is going to be a big hit. I don't see any reason a bad ### sexy British agent spy action movie couldn't do well. 
What you've posted is a reason why the franchise probably isn't going down this road.  It's hugely successful without this sort of risky and game-changing character swap.

What you've posted is a reason why the franchise probably isn't going down this road.  It's hugely successful without this sort of risky and game-changing character swap.
I believe these kind of leaks or stories are often feelers to gauge the reaction. However, losing Craig is going to be a huge risk to the franchise regardless of what race or gender of the next lead. 

Yes, I'm sure that outweighed making more money.  Movie companies work that way.
Ghost busters 

oceans 12 (or whatever number was the one with all women)

the up coming Femonator I mean terminator. 

Out of touch directors making poor decisions.  It happens. 

I don’t doubt they think it will make money. I just doubt it will. 

I believe these kind of leaks or stories are often feelers to gauge the reaction. However, losing Craig is going to be a huge risk to the franchise regardless of what race or gender of the next lead. 
Again I don’t think race matters.  The sex change fundamentally changes 007 lore. 

role

That's mine too. I just seriously doubt that a female character will take the lead in the James Bond franchise, and again I will note for the record that the article in the OP goes to great lengths to avoid saying otherwise while attracting as many clicks as possible.

Edit: I mean, obviously we'll see.  This is just speculation and it's not as if the franchise belongs to me personally or anything.
My guess is that they are banking on this being a 007 and not a Bond franchise. We'll see how well the audience accepts that.

My guess is that they are banking on this being a 007 and not a Bond franchise. We'll see how well the audience accepts that.
Now that I’m reading this explanation it makes more sense but still a little odd - I think every movies starts with “James Bond in....”.  As Scooby points out, if Craig is in it and passes the 007 torch then it seems like a better idea than having a female James Bond.  I completely agree with what IK wrote.

Were Skyfall and Sceptre huge moneymakers?  I don't really follow this stuff anymore, but I'd be surprised if anyone under 30 considered the Bond franchise iconic in a way that say, the Fast and Furious franchise (which I think is more financially successful now) isn't.

I see that Skyfall was the first "billion dollar" Bond film worldwide.  As near as I can tell, Craig's Bond films are a decent franchise figuring by US Box Office.  They tend to gross over $300 million, but they also cost over $200 million to make excluding advertising (which tends to equal production costs as a general rule).  They have proven more successful globally.  So I guess the question is whether the audience in China is going to care.  

I see that Skyfall was the first "billion dollar" Bond film worldwide.  As near as I can tell, Craig's Bond films are a decent franchise figuring by US Box Office.  They tend to gross over $300 million, but they also cost over $200 million to make excluding advertising (which tends to equal production costs as a general rule).  They have proven more successful globally.  So I guess the question is whether the audience in China is going to care.  
Skyfall was a huge win for them.  They actually lowered the budget for it, from $230m from the prior film (Quantum) to only $200m - but it made about twice as much as Quantum did worldwide.  It had a great storyline (the ORIGINAL origin of Bond himself), great villain storyline, and the return of maybe the most beautiful car ever.  When Spectre didn't do as well on a 50% larger budget, I had worries about the franchise - especially knowing Craig likely didn't have another movie in him. 

What I was sort hoping this would turn into was a female simply taking a 00 status (but not specifically 007) and some new (male) character to take the historical Bond/007 role.  They could then have to separate, but intertwined story lines going - within the same "universe" (like Marvel/Avengers).  The M and Q roles would be recurring characters in each - and the two double OOs could play off each other with sexual tension - much like Bond and Moneypenny did for decades. 

boots11234 said:
No it doesn’t. Agree race doesn’t matter. But needs to be British and a male. Sorry. Ticket sales will reflect this.    
I keep hearing this an awful lot when women are the leads or men are afraid their Male heroes will get shown up. I'd it's a good movie it will do well if it isn't it won't. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Capt Marvel made a billion because it didn't. Women in the leads was a part of the equation but at the end of the day it's about the movie in its totality. 

I keep hearing this an awful lot when women are the leads ir men are afraid there Male heroes will get shown up. I'd it's a good movie it will do well if it isn't it won't. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Capt Marvel made a billion because it didn't. Women in the leads was a part of the equation but at the end of the day it's about the movie in its totality. 
?  It has noting to do with women as leads or showing up men. It has everything to do with changing an iconic characters sex from male to female in a blatant attempt at #Metoo. 

But you are right it will come down to if it’s good. 

?  It has noting to do with women as leads or showing up men. It has everything to do with changing an iconic characters sex from male to female in a blatant attempt at #Metoo. 

But you are right it will come down to if it’s good. 
That iconic character has long ago run out of source material. We are so far beyond anything Fleming wrote it isn't funny. As I said I was in the please let it be Idris Elba camp. I would've been completely stoked. This I find interesting but to be fair I can't remember the last Bond film I saw at the movies. I usually wait for video and will likely do the same here. Probably would have been the same had I gotten my guy.

That iconic character has long ago run out of source material. We are so far beyond anything Fleming wrote it isn't funny. As I said I was in the please let it be Idris Elba camp. I would've been completely stoked. This I find interesting but to be fair I can't remember the last Bond film I saw at the movies. I usually wait for video and will likely do the same here. Probably would have been the same had I gotten my guy.
He would have been good or that guy from Night Manager mini series. 

when the movie ROOTS is cast with all white members ......... then I'll call fair and equal

until then ........ leave the original concepts of books and movies etc as they originally are IMO

I keep hearing this an awful lot when women are the leads or men are afraid their Male heroes will get shown up. I'd it's a good movie it will do well if it isn't it won't. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Capt Marvel made a billion because it didn't. Women in the leads was a part of the equation but at the end of the day it's about the movie in its totality. 
Lets be reasonable here.  Capt Marvel did what it did because it's in the Marvel Universe.  7 other movies from the same "Universe" did better. 

Also, Captain Marvel has always been a woman, since the late '60s.  James Bond/007 has always been a male.

Lets be reasonable here.  Capt Marvel did what it did because it's in the Marvel Universe.  7 other movies from the same "Universe" did better. 

Also, Captain Marvel has always been a woman, since the late '60s.  James Bond/007 has always been a male.
Many of the movies in the MCU didnt make 1 billion as you point out.

Worst analogy ever?
extreme maybe

show me a fictional character that's black and cast a white person .... hell it was bad enough Robert Feines was cast as Michael Jackson and the uproar that caused

political correctness would NEVER allow a white person to be cast for a black fictional character would they? would feminism allow Nancy Drew to be played by a white male ?

oceans 12 (or whatever number was the one with all women)
Produced for $78 million. The male version scripted was set to cost over twice as much -- and tested with poor interest. Both the cost and interest reflect with Clooney being long gone.

Sold $300 million at box office. Took just over 4 months to film.

Produced for $78 million. The male version scripted was set to cost over twice as much -- and tested with poor interest. Both the cost and interest reflect with Clooney being long gone.

Sold $300 million at box office. Took just over 4 months to film.
Did the other movies lose interest as they made more sequals?  11 was good ( the first). Watched the second one (12)and it wasnt as good and I never tried any after.

Many of the movies in the MCU didnt make 1 billion as you point out.
True, but some are 10+ years old at this point as well.  The MCU movie that came out the following month has over doubled Captain Marvel, and in the end the new Spider man will as well.  2 of the 3 just before Captain Marvel topped it as well - Black Panther and another Avengers movie. 

Of course, in none of that did they take a formerly male character/role and switch genders. 

extreme maybe

show me a fictional character that's black and cast a white person .... hell it was bad enough Robert Feines was cast as Michael Jackson and the uproar that caused

political correctness would NEVER allow a white person to be cast for a black fictional character would they? would feminism allow Nancy Drew to be played by a white male ?
007 is a title not a person.

True, but some are 10+ years old at this point as well.  The MCU movie that came out the following month has over doubled Captain Marvel, and in the end the new Spider man will as well.  2 of the 3 just before Captain Marvel topped it as well - Black Panther and another Avengers movie. 

Of course, in none of that did they take a formerly male character/role and switch genders. 
Spiderman is not going to make 2 billion dollars. And of course Endgame beat it it beat practically every movie ever.

007 is a title not a person.
lol 

if you think James Bond was written to be played by a black woman, you cray cray .......... Laura Craft wasn't written to be a man, Anne of Green Gables wasn't written to be a man, Tom Sawyer wasn't written to be a woman, ... the list goes on and on and on

lol 

if you think James Bond was written to be played by a black woman, you cray cray .......... Laura Craft wasn't written to be a man, Anne of Green Gables wasn't written to be a man, Tom Sawyer wasn't written to be a woman, ... the list goes on and on and on
You don't think they could retcon a story where 007 is passed on to another person?  

No, not the character of Laura Croft being played by a man, but what about a movie titled Tomb Raider with a male leading role?

No, it doesn't work for everything, especially when you are dealing with historical figures or stories.  So a white cast for Roots would be dumb as would Denzel in movie where he plays Abe Lincoln.   Long story short, we just need to give more people a voice in Hollywood, it makes the movies more interesting.  (I am talking in general)

I'm really excited about the new role, but i'm disappointed Bond isn't  transgender. I'm going to take a pass on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread