What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Bottom 5 US Cities to Visit (1 Viewer)

Zegras11

Footballguy
:popcorn:

Big or small, list 'em

1.  Los Angeles.   Lived 50 years in oc. Always hated going anywhere near there except for a Laker game.  The traffic sucks something fierce.  Smoggy and hot.  

2. Boston.  Have been there twice.  Both times to Fenway and each time saw the Blue Jays.  Hot, sticky, humid, cramped seats in the bleachers.  Was really weird that the only thing vendors were selling after the game outside the park was I hate Yankees t shirts.  Really?

Make a wrong turn in that city and you are effed for a long time.  

3.  San Diego.   Yep.  Hate it.  Before moving to Boise 9 years ago, took my son to comicon and the traffic was brutal. We couldn't even find a spot the second year and drove back to the oc.  

Not sure if it's still the same, but I moved there right before my freshman year of high school. Problem there is they had only three years of high school.  So after making the freshman high school team in H.B.  , i had to go back to junior high and would up graduating from junior two years in a row with honors.   Luckily, pops gor a new job and we were only there 18 months.  Downtown is now filthy and filled with way too many homeless. Same for LA and now even OC.

4.  Irvine, ca.   So sterile.   So fake.  So plastic.  Everything in its proper place.  Every building painted #### brown.  Everyone hell bent trying to keep up with their neighbors.  Hated visiting relatives in that place. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, Indiana

Flint, Michigan

Las Vegas, Nevada

Barstow / Fort Irwin, California

Fort Polk, Louisiana

Boston  --  whoever designed that tunnel was a moron! 

Atlanta  -- too much of nothing for my taste

Miami  --  crime on every street

San Juan - even the police are afraid / driving is a horror show! 

Detroit - I admit it was once decent, but times have made this place bottom of the barrel 

Kind of mean spirited thread but...

I’m sure there are nice parts in these cities but I didn’t see them.

El Paso - Did not enjoy

Frankfurt - Dreary. With the charm of a dentist waiting room.

Houston - I did have a fun time on a trip in some area with a bunch of chill beer bars and the costal area out near NASA is kind of got a vibe but way too GD hot 

Brownsville TX - a collection of hospitals, strip malls, and Luby’s.

West Lafayette - home of Purdue. @urbanhack Gross. :lol:

Memphis - yes, Beale St is fun but the town is a dump

Houston - great people, lots of traffic but it’s the ugliest metro I’ve ever been to. 

Las Vegas - hate it. It’s everything about fake American entertainment I don’t like

These are the only 3 I’ve been to that I really didn’t enjoy. I’ve been to a lot of boring cities. 

Boston  --  whoever designed that tunnel was a moron! 

Atlanta  -- too much of nothing for my taste

Miami  --  crime on every street

San Juan - even the police are afraid / driving is a horror show! 

Detroit - I admit it was once decent, but times have made this place bottom of the barrel 
Did you go there in 1960 when it was once decent?

Gary, Indiana

Flint, Michigan
Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name,
Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame.
Gary, Indiana, as a Shakespeare would say,
Trips along softly on the tongue this way--
Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana,

Memphis - yes, Beale St is fun but the town is a dump

Houston - great people, lots of traffic but it’s the ugliest metro I’ve ever been to. 

Las Vegas - hate it. It’s everything about fake American entertainment I don’t like

These are the only 3 I’ve been to that I really didn’t enjoy. I’ve been to a lot of boring cities. 
Can you elaborate on this? 

Can't do 5. 

Orlando - city's a dump and the surrounding area is just a money grab.

Atlanta - absolutely no identity nor character, the whole place just feels disgustingly corporate.

Miami - it has identity and character, but just isn't a fit for me.

I have no interest in going to Houston and am not surprised to see it listed already - from what I've heard it sounds like even hotter and more humid Atlanta. 

2. Boston. 

Make a wrong turn in that city and you are effed for a long time.  
:lmao:

Yeah, that's true. First time my in-laws were there after failing to get to their hotel for 20-30 minutes despite physically seeing it multiple times they stopped and asked a local for directions, pointing at the actual building. Local looked at the building then back at them, and dead panned - you'll never get there.

While every city has at least something to do, these are cities I've been to and find meh and don't mind if I never go back:

• Fargo, ND
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS

Agree with those who said a mean thread, but here we go...

Newark, NJ (downtown has been revitalized a bit, but still a way to go)

Camden, NJ (Aquarium is nice though)

Elizabeth, NJ

Jersey City, NJ (Liberty Science Center is nice though)

Paterson, NJ (Paterson falls are nice though)

Yuba City, CA - there is no there there ... literally. 

Camden, NJ - take all the worst aspects of bigger cities like Detroit, and condense it into a smaller package ... it's brutal. 

Newburgh, NY - just don't go. 

Atlanta - the NYC of the South? :lol:  gtfo with that #### - rude and ignorant MFers - get bent, #####es. 

Lewisburg, PA - just hope a relative never has to do time in the Fed pen there. 

/fin

Birdie048 said:
It's coming back, a little. 

Still not a place many should want to visit. 22 years there was plenty for me to never go back.

While every city has at least something to do, these are cities I've been to and find meh and don't mind if I never go back:

• Fargo, ND
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS
Was a little surprised it took this long for my hometown of OKC.  Care to elaborate?  City is actually pretty fun nowdays, but a lot has changed in the last 20 years.  It also will not compare to a major city.  

• Fargo, ND
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS
I've only been there once, but we had a blast in the Lockerbie neighborhood.

Agree with those who said a mean thread, but here we go...

Newark, NJ (downtown has been revitalized a bit, but still a way to go)

Camden, NJ (Aquarium is nice though)

Elizabeth, NJ

Jersey City, NJ (Liberty Science Center is nice though)

Paterson, NJ (Paterson falls are nice though)
...and your bottom US state to visit would be?
Well, my mom lives in NJ.  So, I'll go back for that.

NJ does have some good parts though, I just don't think they are in the biggest cities. As I was thinking about it, I may rescind Jersey City if including Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (which I think I would include in retrospect).  Actually, a decent place to visit in that case.

• Fargo, ND
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Wichita, KS
Step daughter went to NDSU in Fargo.  She loved her time there, and is still working there post college until she can transfer back home.  She loves in there, but I can't understand it because there is absolutely nothing to do.  She's lived there for four years now, so she knows the good places to eat, but that's about it.  There's a Schell's if you want to go to a sporting good store with a ferris wheel inside of it.  Or there is the mall with a Roger Maris museum that eats up about five minutes.  That's about it.  And almost everything is closed on Sunday.

-OZ- said:
Gary, Indiana

Flint, Michigan

Las Vegas, Nevada

Barstow / Fort Irwin, California

Fort Polk, Louisiana
Ha! I was in Gary on Saturday. We drove past there from Northern Michigan to Chicago and my wife was hell bent on seeing Michael Jackson's childhood home. Please no bashing on the latest revelations of what he may or may not be. This is not me, and I'm not debating the topic. As far as his Childhood home. Emphasis on hood. That is not a safe neighborhood. I do not recommend it. There isn't much to see and you are asking to be a statistic 

Getzlaf15 said:
3.  San Diego.   Yep.  Hate it.  Before moving to Boise 9 years ago, took my son to comicon and the traffic was brutal. We couldn't even find a spot the second year and drove back to the oc.  
I thought it was one of the best places I've been in the U.S.

Was a little surprised it took this long for my hometown of OKC.  Care to elaborate?  City is actually pretty fun nowdays, but a lot has changed in the last 20 years.  It also will not compare to a major city.  
I didn't dislike it per se, I just didn't find anything drawing me back.  I prefer STL, KC and even Tulsa for weekend trips.

However, I've always wanted to go to a Thunder game and will make that trip at some point.  OKC is about 5 hours away from me. 

Ilov80s said:
Did you go there in 1960 when it was once decent?
I visited Detroit in the early 80's for a few weeks (family matter while I was in high school).  It was still a large "auto" city with reasonable traffic, food, and crime issues.  I forget the name of the area we stayed, but we hit downtown at least 6 times for fun.  Imagine a group of HS boys in Detroit with time and no supervision?  

I was there again in March this year.  Ghost town, decayed buildings and nothing you want to see on a daily drive.  Landed at airport and drove up to Saginaw (90 miles north).  

Newburgh, NY - just don't go. 
Decent airport?

Getzlaf15 said:
Love that town.

I'll add:

Morgan City, LA

Amarillo, TX

I visited Detroit in the early 80's for a few weeks (family matter while I was in high school).  It was still a large "auto" city with reasonable traffic, food, and crime issues.  I forget the name of the area we stayed, but we hit downtown at least 6 times for fun.  Imagine a group of HS boys in Detroit with time and no supervision?  

I was there again in March this year.  Ghost town, decayed buildings and nothing you want to see on a daily drive.  Landed at airport and drove up to Saginaw (90 miles north).  
  Did you go to Detroit in March or just drive to Saginaw from the airport?

Did you go to Detroit in March or just drive to Saginaw from the airport?
:goodposting:

There are some really, really interesting things going on in Detroit. By no means is it a perfect place, but I'd encourage anyone to go there and see the rebuild that's happening.

Downtown has may luxury buildings now and great restaurants. Liberty State Park is also very nice. There are certainly bad areas left still though.
Yeah, I had a follow-up post where I said that I thought I may have not been fair to Jersey City, particularly if you include Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty in the mix.  It has been awhile since I've been there, so I may need to re-visit.  I see your location listed as Watchung -- I grew up in Piscataway, and also have family next to you in Warren.

Yeah, I had a follow-up post where I said that I thought I may have not been fair to Jersey City, particularly if you include Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty in the mix.  It has been awhile since I've been there, so I may need to re-visit.  I see your location listed as Watchung -- I grew up in Piscataway, and also have family next to you in Warren.
Yep - Warren is next town over from me. Nice area for the most part. We have some properties in JC and Hoboken so I'm in that area often. You'd be surprised to see what's happening in downtown JC.

The rest of your anti-NJ list is pretty accurate, although Newark is starting to come around as well. I wouldn't vacation there but there's some great Portugese restaurants in Iron Bound section and the "new" arena where the Devils and Seton Hall play is very nice and the soccer stadium (technically in Harrison) is pretty cool as well.

I've been to a lot of places, and I think this just comes down to preference. 

I hated Virginia Beach, VA (really the whole area, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Newport News)

Didn't much care for Amarillo, TX.  

Detroit, MI is a hard pass

MIami, FL isn't my cup of coffee, even though I love the Cuban coffee

Atlanta, GA just because.

1. Houston

2. Houston

3. Houston

4. Houston

5a. Houston

5b. Jacksonville

"Honorable" mentions: Atlanta and Los Angeles (mostly because of the traffic), Charleston, WV (because it looked like the zombie apocalypse had already happened there)  and Cleveland (cuz...Cleveland).

Having grown up across the river from Fargo (in Moorhead, MN) I cannot take umbrage at people not wanting to visit. I barely every want to go back home to see my parents. It's cold, flat, windy, and boring. But at least they have the NDSU Bison :mellow:

Here's my choices

Evansville, IN

Knoxville, TN

Los Angeles, CA

Chicago, IL

Las Vegas, NV

1. Sacramento - Lack of anything to even lack. Stoopit hot in summer. My wife suffered & died there

2. Nawlins - It got off to a bad start w me cuz i got busted for hitchhiking there as a runaway and spent 10 days in a cell getting my ribs kicked in for lunch every day for being a hippie (without ever seeing my day in court, btw). But, years later, a couple we knew who taught a Tulane invited us down for Mardi Gras and we had just an awful time. Found the people snide and connish.

3. Miami - we played there in the 70s and got lost every time. Didn't go down again til the 90s on a research trip on Carl Fisher (the man who built Miami Beach, one of the 20th century's most fascinating unknown figures, was someone i thought would be a great subject for a Zemeckis/Hanks movie), got lost all over again. Hot & lost is a terrible combination.

4. Chicago - this is totally unfair. I only ever spent a weekend there w music biz folk and had a lovely time. I just cant get past it as a big matzo ball of congestion, travelwise. As a hitcher, the 100-mile knot of freeways i had to spent days circling or being stuck in, then later, as a flyer, the ridiculous layovers in awful O'Hare. Sorry, can't get past it

5. (tie) every southern city - I hate crackers like crackers hate swarthies and crackerness lies like a gator below the water everywhere down south. Urbanity gives crackerness a smarmy veneer i find even more revolting than peckerwoodness. I stopped going to the movies (unless i knew the theater would be virtually empty) because i hated the dread of there always going to be someone who deserved to be popped who i couldnt pop during my venture and i feel the same way about the south. If that's unfair, y'all can deal cuz you invented unfair.

1. Houston

2. Houston

3. Houston

4. Houston

5a. Houston

5b. Jacksonville

"Honorable" mentions: Atlanta and Los Angeles (mostly because of the traffic), Charleston, WV (because it looked like the zombie apocalypse had already happened there)  and Cleveland (cuz...Cleveland).
overdeveloped sense of smell?

Also, I'm going to defend Houston here - which I see on a lot of people's lists.

I get why people hate it - its hugely sprawling, the weather is sweltering, etc. 

But there are some great things about Houston. It has a terrific theater scene. Its restaurant scene is as good as any city's outside of NYC. If you stick to the half circle west of downtown formed by the inner loop (610), I can't imagine anyone would come away with anything but great things to say about Houston.

Camden, NJ - good luck

Houston, Texas - their mall was one of the top attractions on TripAdvisor and 95 and humid at 7 am

Jacksonville, FLA - pretty bland and boring city

Atlanta, GA - see Jacksonville

Oakland, CA - across the bridge is the place to be

Also, I'm going to defend Houston here - which I see on a lot of people's lists.

I get why people hate it - its hugely sprawling, the weather is sweltering, etc. 

But there are some great things about Houston. It has a terrific theater scene. Its restaurant scene is as good as any city's outside of NYC. If you stick to the half circle west of downtown formed by the inner loop (610), I can't imagine anyone would come away with anything but great things to say about Houston.
Cleveland's better.

Pay no attention to my never actually being to Houston though.

Users who are viewing this thread