What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (3 Viewers)

Heyman says the Phils are actively in on Rendon, Strasburg and Cole.  He said they are looking to make another big splash this offseason but they are trying to do it in a quieter manner this year.  i.e. Not talking about stupid money.

Out of those three, I'd prefer they go after Rendon the hardest.

Heyman says the Phils are actively in on Rendon, Strasburg and Cole.  He said they are looking to make another big splash this offseason but they are trying to do it in a quieter manner this year.  i.e. Not talking about stupid money.

Alec Bohm is a year away and even with the addition of Wheeler, they still need pitching.

Oddly, report just comes across that Rendon is now the Phillies top priority.  Makes sense why they passed on going after Moustakas now.  

All 3 of these guys are Boras clients and Heyman is a Boras puppet. Just driving up the perceived demand.

Nola, Arrieta, Wheeler, Velasquez, Elfin, Pivetta, Eickoff, 

Robertson, Dominguez, Neris

Let's say they add Strasburg (or Cole).......That's all your SP innings guys and main relievers are right handed.  :shrug:

Hot Stove After Dark

Tampa acquires OF Hunter Renfroe and 2B prospect Xavier Edwards from the Padres for OF Tommy Pham and an as yet unnamed infield prospect.

Tough to call until the fourth player is identified but Pham is the best player involved.  He is four years older than Renfroe and has less team control.  Renfroe has tremendous power and should benefit from a different ballpark.

ETA:  The final piece headed to San Diego is Jake Cronenworth.  He's closer to the majors than Edwards and played three infield positions _and_ pitcher in AAA last year.  He was a college closer who was clocked at 96 in the minors.  Fun trade.
Edwards is a slapdick prospect

Edwards is a slapdick prospect
From @paintingcorner on Twitter, MLB Slapdick+ metrics since 2002.  Here are your top ten

1. Joey Gathright
  2. Luis Castillo
  3. Dee Gordon
  4. Wilson Valdez
  5. Nori Aoki
  6. Tony Womack
  7. Mallex Smith
  8. Ichiro Suzuki
  9. Ben Revere
  10. Emilio Bonifacio
I've owned almost of these guys in fantasy while chasing SB. :bag:

Xavier Edwards currently fits the slapdick hitter mold.  He only has 36 XBH in over 750 minor league PAs.  He turned 20 in August but seems like he could still add some muscle to his frame.

From @paintingcorner on Twitter, MLB Slapdick+ metrics since 2002.  Here are your top ten

1. Joey Gathright
  2. Luis Castillo
  3. Dee Gordon
  4. Wilson Valdez
  5. Nori Aoki
  6. Tony Womack
  7. Mallex Smith
  8. Ichiro Suzuki
  9. Ben Revere
  10. Emilio Bonifacio
I've owned almost of these guys in fantasy while chasing SB. :bag:

Xavier Edwards currently fits the slapdick hitter mold.  He only has 36 XBH in over 750 minor league PAs.  He turned 20 in August but seems like he could still add some muscle to his frame.
That's what Blake Snell called him not me 

Astros had 2 hall of famers and another guy who will likely be the highest paid pitcher in MLB history.  Not sure the Phils have anything close to it.  

Point taken that in can be done,.  

Jordan Lyles who helped the Brewers and a lot of fantasy teams down the stretch this year gets paid by Texas 2/$16M.

The Rangers rotation now is Lyles, Kyle Gibson, Lance Lynn, Mike Minor and Kolby Allard.  No superstars but solid.

Marcell Ozuna to sign with the White Sox on Monday. Not the signing I want (need pitching) but having Ozuna in right every day is a hell of a lot better than what they were trotting out there this summer. Still a defensive liability but I'll take my chances there...

Eephus said:
Jordan Lyles who helped the Brewers and a lot of fantasy teams down the stretch this year gets paid by Texas 2/$16M.

The Rangers rotation now is Lyles, Kyle Gibson, Lance Lynn, Mike Minor and Kolby Allard.  No superstars but solid.
Is there any word on how the new stadium is expected to play, whether pitcher or hitters park? 

Marcell Ozuna to sign with the White Sox on Monday. Not the signing I want (need pitching) but having Ozuna in right every day is a hell of a lot better than what they were trotting out there this summer. Still a defensive liability but I'll take my chances there...
Haven't seen this confirmed yet.  But if so I hope for your sake he is playing LF.  His arm is not up to playing RF.  Heck, saying defensive liability is understating how bad he would be in right.  And I say this as a guy who is a Cards fan and likes Ozuna.  He is a heck of a nice guy just lacks OF instincts and arm.

Bob Klapisch @BobKlap

I'm told #Yankees have a seven-year, $245 million offer on the table for Gerrit Cole. Would be a record-setting contract for a pitcher, surpassing Greinke’s $34.4 million AAV. Question is whether #Dodgers or #Angels will go to 8-9 or even 10 years.

Saw them say last night on MLB Network that this turned out to be a false rumor.

I see the Padres have no interest in Strasburg, Cole or Rendon.  Or at least they have no interest in paying that much money.  Not even meeting with them.

stbugs said:
After paying Machado, that’s a lot to add someone around that same price.
Harold Reynolds was kind of saying the same thing about the Angels last night.  If you have Trout at $500 million and a pitcher at $300 million, you have two guys on the payroll at almost a billion dollars.  It just doesn't make too much sense to pay 2 guys that much money.  You need to spread out the payroll.

Not saying he's right, but just echoing what you're saying.

So if the Phils sign Didi, then I imagine that Segura gets traded.  But does he have any real trade value? 
I think Segura gets moved to 3B in this scenario (they must not love his D at SS because this has been discussed since the end of last season). No, I don't think he has much trade value. His contract is probably considered fair market value right now.

I think Segura gets moved to 3B in this scenario (they must not love his D at SS because this has been discussed since the end of last season). No, I don't think he has much trade value. His contract is probably considered fair market value right now.
But the Phils have also been connected to Rendon, Donaldson and Kris Bryant, so I don't think he's Plan A for 3B either.

But the Phils have also been connected to Rendon, Donaldson and Kris Bryant, so I don't think he's Plan A for 3B either.
I think the Rendon "rumors" were just Middleton doing Boras a solid. They need SP too bad to dump that much money into a 3B.

I think someone will pay Donaldson more (years or money) than we are willing.

I think if anything else "big" happens this offseason, it will be via trade. They're pretty much "all-in" at this point and in "win-now" mode, so nothing would surprise me. Bohm is a nice trade chip and there are some big IF names being floated (Bryant, Lindor, etc).

If they decide to do nothing, Brad Miller and Josh Harrison could platoon at 3B until Bohm is ready.

I think the Rendon "rumors" were just Middleton doing Boras a solid. They need SP too bad to dump that much money into a 3B.

I think someone will pay Donaldson more (years or money) than we are willing.

I think if anything else "big" happens this offseason, it will be via trade. They're pretty much "all-in" at this point and in "win-now" mode, so nothing would surprise me. Bohm is a nice trade chip and there are some big IF names being floated (Bryant, Lindor, etc).

If they decide to do nothing, Brad Miller and Josh Harrison could platoon at 3B until Bohm is ready.
It seems like Strasburg is most likely going back to DC.  And Cole to the Yanks.  So for pitching, you can find some cheap(er) options out there.  Maybe a (boy I hate to say this name, but) Keuchel.  Or a Ryu who doesn't require a draft pick compensation.  Or Madbum.

But the point I guess I'm making is that those contracts should be relatively cheap, which still allows for a big name signing.  Or maybe a big trade where they eat a lot of salary which allows for less prospects to be given.  

The Phils had made it clear they had enough for Harper and Trout.  And now that Trout is off the table, they have a lot of stupid money just waiting to be spent.  

It seems like Strasburg is most likely going back to DC.  And Cole to the Yanks.  So for pitching, you can find some cheap(er) options out there.  Maybe a (boy I hate to say this name, but) Keuchel.  Or a Ryu who doesn't require a draft pick compensation.  Or Madbum.

But the point I guess I'm making is that those contracts should be relatively cheap, which still allows for a big name signing.  Or maybe a big trade where they eat a lot of salary which allows for less prospects to be given.  

The Phils had made it clear they had enough for Harper and Trout.  And now that Trout is off the table, they have a lot of stupid money just waiting to be spent.  
Well, they did sign Wheeler too, so while they may still have some money to spend, I dont think its Cole/Stras type money (unless they're willing to go over the cap). That's why I think they look at trades instead. Robbie Ray makes a ton of sense. A power-lefty with one year left on his contract.

Well, they did sign Wheeler too, so while they may still have some money to spend, I dont think its Cole/Stras type money (unless they're willing to go over the cap). That's why I think they look at trades instead. Robbie Ray makes a ton of sense. A power-lefty with one year left on his contract.
I saw them talking about the cap and how a lot of big market teams aren't too worried about it because they expect it to be raised at the next CBA.  

Side note:  I see the Indians are saying they most likely are keeping Lindor.  I know that the Phils were looking at him, too.  

I see Heyman says that the Yanks, Dodgers, Phillies, Angels and Rangers are all still in on Cole.  That's surprising.  

Sounds like Stras is going back to DC.  And Rendon is only being pursued by the Dodgers and Rangers.

That would mean the top 4 FA's would be off the board if Cole goes to the Yanks.

If that happens, going to be a lot of teams scrambling for the lesser FA's still out there.  Could drive up their prices.  

Sounds like Stras is going back to DC.  And Rendon is only being pursued by the Dodgers and Rangers.

That would mean the top 4 FA's would be off the board if Cole goes to the Yanks.

If that happens, going to be a lot of teams scrambling for the lesser FA's still out there.  Could drive up their prices.  
Stras officially back with DC.

Yikes. That's a lot of money for a guy who's rarely healthy. Imagine it pushes the Cole price-tag way up too. Feeling very glad that the Phils inked Wheeler before this madness.
Rarely healthy is a bit of a stretch

2013 - 2019 Strasburg has started 194 games and pitched 1,187 innings

2013 - 2019 Cole has started 192 games and pitched 1,195 innings

I know it does always seem Stras misses a few games mid year, and the Nats have also kept an eye on his innings, but he's been a pretty durable pitcher.  

I agree that throwing that kind of money on a pitcher for his mid-30's seems sky high, and more times than not doesn't work out, but it's worked out great for Scherzer who got paid at 30 by the Nats.  And winning a WS always gives some extra money for the home town player.

Were both the Neikro brothers knuckleball pitchers?  I don't think that takes as much toll on their arms.  
I was really just going for the joke.  

But look at guys like Verlander, Sabbathia, Ryan, Clemens, Randy Johnson...

My point is that a pitcher has a longer shelf life than a position player.  There have been plenty of pitchers in the 35 to 40 age range that have dominated.

Looks like Rendon is going to be either a Nat, Dodger, Angel or Ranger.

Looks like Cole is going to be either a Yankee, Dodger or Angel.

And both sound like they could happen soon.  A little disappointed we haven't heard much from the Astros.  I know they need to save money for their core guys coming up, but I think without another good pitcher, the playoffs will actually be a fight this coming year.  

And I know the Phils got Wheeler, but if they don't get someone else semi-big, this offseason might be a semi-big disappointment.  

Sheik, did you forget that the Astros have McCullers coming back? 

Maybe Urqidy gets the #4 idk. Still have Peacock who has started before too. 

Sheik, did you forget that the Astros have McCullers coming back? 

Maybe Urqidy gets the #4 idk. Still have Peacock who has started before too. 
Nope.  Didn't forget.  And I hope he's his old self.  I'm also not saying they won't be good.  I'm just saying that the past 2 years, I felt like winning the West was a given.  No real challenge.  I could see 2020 being a lot tougher.  

Users who are viewing this thread