What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (6 Viewers)

Phillies sign Josh Harrison.  Small move but I like these moves.  Low risk, high potential.  If he turns out to be done, so be it.  But if he can produce like he did a couple of years ago, nice find. :shrug:

Organizational depth. 

Harrison doesn't bring much to a big league roster.  He's strictly a 2B at this point in his career, hits right handed, no power.

Not sure the Nats would have made it passed the WC game without him...

Jon Morosi:

Source: Trent Grisham traded by #Brewers to #Padres. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Busy day for the Padres

LHP Drew Pomeranz signed to a 4/$34M deal

Acquired OF Trent Grisham and RHP Zach Davies from Milwaukee for 2B Luis Urias and LHP Eric Lauer

I don't love these for San Diego but AJ Preller loves to shuffle the deck.  Four years is a lot for Pomeranz who has never been able to string good years together.  The Giants signed him last year for the veteran minimum but he experienced a late career breakout as a reliever.   It remains to be seen if Grisham can hit lefties well enough to play every day and whether he can handle CF.

San Diego still has too many OF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy day for the Padres

LHP Drew Pomeranz signed to a 4/$34M deal

Acquired OF Trent Grisham and RHP Zach Davies from Milwaukee for 2B Luis Urias and LHP Eric Lauer

I don't love these for San Diego but AJ Preller loves to shuffle the deck.  Four years is a lot for Pomeranz who has never been able to string good years together.  The Giants signed him last year for the veteran minimum but he experienced a late career breakout as a reliever.   It remains to be seen if Grisham can hit lefties well enough to play every day and whether he can handle CF.

San Diego still has too many OF.
Brewers fan here and don't know too much about who they got. How do you feel about Urias and Lauer for the Brewers? At first glance with my limited knowledge I'm excited about Urias. I think this means Arcia will be moved as well.

Rumors floating around that Wheeler might be on the White Sox soon. 
White Sox are rumored to be after him hard, but Morosi had them as a dark horse for Strasburg. Hard to know who they will land, but they will be in on one of the higher end guys (probably not named Cole) and perhaps a 2nd tier starter. Still looking at RF as well.

AL at least means that they can give him a break as a DH every now and again.  Not worth the contract if he starts playing DH more than on a part-time basis, but may at least help to keep his legs fresher than if he stayed the NL.
He'll DH probably 2x a week, maybe play 1B once in awhile. They still have McCann and Zach Collins so very crowded, but also means DH will be a rotation with Abreu, and these catchers.

My Thanksgiving baseball memory was the Red Sox trading for a key piece in breaking The Curse, Reichsmarschall Curt Schilling, Tanksgiving 2003.

Brewers fan here and don't know too much about who they got. How do you feel about Urias and Lauer for the Brewers? At first glance with my limited knowledge I'm excited about Urias. I think this means Arcia will be moved as well.
Urias is a younger, cheaper version of Arcia.  By virtue of debuting at age 21, Arcia is now in his first year of arbitration eligibility.  Urias has split time between 2B and SS in part because he's come up the Padres ladder with Fernando Tatis Jr.

I don't know how much of a market there will be for a guy like Arcia.  It's likely they'll both begin the season on the Brewers roster, especially with questions about Hiura's defense.  The big hole (aside from starting pitching) is at 3B where they need to find someone better than Travis Shaw.

Jonathan Villar to the Marlins (will most likely to play 3B). Nice move for a year. Also picked up 1B Jesus Aguilar who hit 35 dingers in 2018. 

Jonathan Villar to the Marlins (will most likely to play 3B). Nice move for a year. Also picked up 1B Jesus Aguilar who hit 35 dingers in 2018. 
Crazy thing about this was I got an alert saying Pillar was non-tendered from the Giants.  Then two minutes later I got an alert saying Villar was sent from the O's to the Marlins.  I thought it said Pillar and was like, "Damn!  This cat has been on three teams in a matter of 5 minutes." Also, I'm an idiot. :bag:

I see the Yanks are meeting with Stras and Cole this week.  I would imagine if they are meeting, they are serious about getting one of these guys.  Which means that at least one of these guys would be off the market.  If I was a team interested in one of these guys, knowing these meetings are happening this week, I'd be making a push to sign one of them as quickly as possible.  This sounds like a calculated move by Boras.

I see the Yanks are meeting with Stras and Cole this week.  I would imagine if they are meeting, they are serious about getting one of these guys.  Which means that at least one of these guys would be off the market.  If I was a team interested in one of these guys, knowing these meetings are happening this week, I'd be making a push to sign one of them as quickly as possible.  This sounds like a calculated move by Boras.
The Yankees met with Corbin, Harper and Machado last year and didn't make a serious offer to any. I do think they have a more obvious need this year though.

The Yankees met with Corbin, Harper and Machado last year and didn't make a serious offer to any. I do think they have a more obvious need this year though.
I think the fact they didn't make a big move last year and fell short of the WS will make this offseason more important in signing someone big.  I think it will be Cole since they like him and he likes the Yankees.  Seems like a good match.

Jon Heyman reporting that it appears Wheeler will sign BEFORE the Winter Meetings open next week.  This would be pretty wild.  Even more wild is the fact that I haven't seen anything about a frontrunner.  He's been rumored to about half the teams in the league.

I thought Cole’s wife wanted to go to California? Yankees might throw enough money at him to get him anyway. Ought to be interesting. 

Jon Heyman reporting that it appears Wheeler will sign BEFORE the Winter Meetings open next week.  This would be pretty wild.  Even more wild is the fact that I haven't seen anything about a frontrunner.  He's been rumored to about half the teams in the league.
Even stranger is that I see ESPN has an article saying they expect Rendon to be the first big name FA to sign this offseason.  Could the Winter Meetings actually be eventful this year?  

BTW, that was a serious question.  After I read what I wrote, it almost sounded like I was being a smart ###.  But I was not.  Not this time, anyway.
Crane said he was going to try too but I’m not sure I believe it. Judging from his actions following game 7, I don’t feel like he wants to be in Houston. 

Yeah, what wins out: His childhood dream or her desire to live in California?  
Other: Whichever teams offers the most money (just like every other big FA in history). All that stuff about which coast they prefer and what teams they liked growing up is just sports-talk fodder.

Even stranger is that I see ESPN has an article saying they expect Rendon to be the first big name FA to sign this offseason.  Could the Winter Meetings actually be eventful this year?  
Since the Minnesota twins did not tender to CJ Cron, that must mean that Sano is moving to first base and I would hope they would talk to Rendon or at least Donaldson

Cheap mets kicking tires on treinen, pillar.  i couldn’t have been born in the bronx instead of queens?
FYP. Honestly, I think they could get some decent return for Dom Smith who is a talent without a position. That doesn’t help the FA spending, but could help fill a hole. 

TheIronSheik said:
Most stories I read sounds like Yankees won't be getting either one or Wheeler. Which sucks. 

E-Z Glider said:
Other: Whichever teams offers the most money (just like every other big FA in history). All that stuff about which coast they prefer and what teams they liked growing up is just sports-talk fodder.
Exhibit A: Patrick Corbin

E-Z Glider said:
This isn't always true.  

Saw an article talking about the best 7 FA's available and who's "in" on them.  Interesting pattern:

1. Gerrit Cole - Angels, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Padres, White Sox, Nationals, Giants
2. Anthony Rendon - Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies
3. Stephen Strasburg - Nationals, Yankees, Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Angels
4. Josh Donaldson - Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers
5. Zack Wheeler - Braves, Phillies, White Sox, Yankees
6. Madison Bumgarner - Braves, Phillies, Padres, Yankees, White Sox
7. Nicholas Castellanos - Marlins, Phillies, Royals, Giants

Also saw that the Phillies are the frontrunner with Wheeler right now.  I'm guessing their thought is if they can sign him early, they can better entice other FA's to sign afterwards.  

I'm not sure if I like the Wheeler deal or not for the Phillies.  Honestly, I like Wheeler going to the Astros better than the Phils.  They seem to be able to elevate good pitchers.  I'd rather the Phils go after a pitcher like Cole or Stras if they wanted a decent pitcher.  Not that I'd complain either way.  But if I had my choice, Wheeler would be my third.

crew has freed up a ton of money seems like there is another shoe to drop in ole brew town take that to the bank brohans 

crew has freed up a ton of money seems like there is another shoe to drop in ole brew town take that to the bank brohans 
Are you thinking/hoping it's a position player or pitcher?  And do they get rid of Hader to get the second shoe?

i dont think they will ever get rid of haderade that guy is beloved beyond belief here i have a feeling it will be starting pitching and possibly more than one but that is just me talkin take that to the bank bromigo

This isn't always true.  
examples of a big-time FA, getting their first-crack at FA, going anywhere other than to the highest bidder?

Saw an article talking about the best 7 FA's available and who's "in" on them.  Interesting pattern:

1. Gerrit Cole - Angels, Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Padres, White Sox, Nationals, Giants
2. Anthony Rendon - Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers, Phillies
3. Stephen Strasburg - Nationals, Yankees, Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Angels
4. Josh Donaldson - Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Rangers, Dodgers
5. Zack Wheeler - Braves, Phillies, White Sox, Yankees
6. Madison Bumgarner - Braves, Phillies, Padres, Yankees, White Sox
7. Nicholas Castellanos - Marlins, Phillies, Royals, Giants

Also saw that the Phillies are the frontrunner with Wheeler right now.  I'm guessing their thought is if they can sign him early, they can better entice other FA's to sign afterwards.  
Hopefully they're just doing the exact opposite of last year where everyone knew they wanted Harper thanks to the "stupid money" comments. They need SP way more than offense. I like Cole and Wheeler. I'm afraid Strasburg is too fragile to give a huge contract.

examples of a big-time FA, getting their first-crack at FA, going anywhere other than to the highest bidder?

Harper comes to mind immediately.

Hopefully they're just doing the exact opposite of last year where everyone knew they wanted Harper thanks to the "stupid money" comments. They need SP way more than offense. I like Cole and Wheeler. I'm afraid Strasburg is too fragile to give a huge contract.

They need some position players, too.  The left side of the infield is slightly better than a lot of LLWS teams.

Harper? Someone offered a higher contract offer than the Phils?

They do need a 3B/SS, but shouldn't be hard to find someone that can be more productive than Maik.

I believe both the Dodgers and Giants offered more money.
Not the case. They both made offers, but not as much money or years as the Phils.

There have been a handful of guys over the years that have given "home-town discounts" on a contract, but never a really big-name guy on his first crack at FA. Too much at stake for the player/agent to accept anything less. Would also be majorly frowned upon by the MLB union as it would be affecting the "value" of all future FA's.

Apparently the Yanks told Cole in their meeting that the money he wants will be there if he wants to become a Yankee.

Also looks like the Phils have a lot of interest in Didi.

Reports are that Wheeler could sign today.  It's thought that the three possible landing spots for him are the Phillies, Reds or White Sox.

Are you thinking/hoping it's a position player or pitcher?  And do they get rid of Hader to get the second shoe?
I think Hader is a goner. I don't think his value will ever be higher. He was just recently granted Super-2 so he's going to get expensive quicker than planned. And his HR rate last year was alarming. Sell high and plug some holes. Remember this post when it happens.

I’d really be surprised if Wheeler lives up to a $100MM deal. He has a lot of talent but is frustratingly inconsistent. That doesn’t seem like something that gets fixed so deep into a career. 

I think Hader is a goner. I don't think his value will ever be higher. He was just recently granted Super-2 so he's going to get expensive quicker than planned. And his HR rate last year was alarming. Sell high and plug some holes. Remember this post when it happens.
Relievers are volatile and Hader has been worked hard.  It makes sense for Stearns to entertain offers while Hader's value is high.

Disclaimer:  I own Knebel in a dynasty league.

Relievers are volatile and Hader has been worked hard.  It makes sense for Stearns to entertain offers while Hader's value is high.

Disclaimer:  I own Knebel in a dynasty league.
I'm at the point where I think it would be a mistake not to deal him now. The package they'd get is as high as it will ever be going forward. And the more that NL batters get to see his fastball and figure out his delivery, the easier it becomes to time up that fastball. If he's not willing to throw anything else, how can one assume he's not going to regress. I guess there's always that chance of duplicating the success of Mariano Rivera throwing just one pitch. But I'm not taking that chance.

Saw the report just come across that the Phils are taking a serious look at trying to sign Strasburg.  I know they have money to burn, but not sure I'd want them to sign Wheeler and Strasburg.  Get one of them and then go after someone like Rendon, if you're looking to spend big.  

The Angels buy the Big A and the surrounding parking lots from the city of Anaheim for $325M.  In exchange, they agree to remain in the city through 2050.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the deal but the sale price is less than the value of Mike Trout's contract.

The Angels buy the Big A and the surrounding parking lots from the city of Anaheim for $325M.  In exchange, they agree to remain in the city through 2050.

There are a lot of unanswered questions about the deal but the sale price is less than the value of Mike Trout's contract.
Gotta think the plan is to build a new stadium.  It's like the third oldest stadium in the big leagues, I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread