What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 MLB Spring Training (7 Viewers)

Fair enough. Seems I was mislead somewhat  by canadian media.  :tinfoilhat:

Just checked some comparisons Here and have to say these are more significant than I thought. That said these are not any advanced stats so not sure how that may or may not change things.

He was wearing a spongebob shirt for all the interviews yesterday. He deserves to get in for that alone. 😎
Loved having Walker on my Strat-o-matic dynasty team. If that doesn't both date me and put me in a nerd category, nothing will.

I’m starting to think NY was stealing signs at home in ‘17 ALCS based on their play and Girardi’s comments yesterday. 

I’m starting to think NY was stealing signs at home in ‘17 ALCS based on their play and Girardi’s comments yesterday. 
It would not surprise me at all if it was a lot more widespread than just the Astros and their associated player/managers......I think MLB wants to hand down the punishment to those already mentioned and be done with it.  I don't think they want the public to really know how prevalent it could have been so they are hoping to throw down something as the sacrificial lambs and move along before too many questions get asked. 

It would not surprise me at all if it was a lot more widespread than just the Astros and their associated player/managers......I think MLB wants to hand down the punishment to those already mentioned and be done with it.  I don't think they want the public to really know how prevalent it could have been so they are hoping to throw down something as the sacrificial lambs and move along before too many questions get asked. 
Beltran is the key to exposing everything NY was doing (if they were). 

This whole fiasco has cost him a shot to manage and probably the HOF. 

Doubt he’ll go scorched earth Fiers because I’m sure he wants it all to just die down and fade away. I wish he would though. 

So the Astros list of possible managers is:

Dusty Baker
Buck Showalter
John Gibbons
Eduardo Perez
Will Venable
Jeff Bannister
Mystery Candidate

The most surprising is the last one.  Was sure he was a lock to manage Mystery Team.

There's nothing wrong with stealing signs.

Stealing signs is legal.

Stealing signs is no worse than stealing a base.

Using a telephoto lens and a direct camera feed to the dugout is illegal. Using text messages to a smartwatch is illegal.

Nothing about what Girardi said sounds like he meant the Yankees were illegally stealing signs with technology. The runner on second trying to clue the batter is fine.
He downplayed the whole thing. 

What would be his motive to try to diffuse the situation?

Perhaps seeing 4 other guys heads roll?

There's nothing wrong with stealing signs.

Stealing signs is legal.

Stealing signs is no worse than stealing a base.

Using a telephoto lens and a direct camera feed to the dugout is illegal. Using text messages to a smartwatch is illegal.

Nothing about what Girardi said sounds like he meant the Yankees were illegally stealing signs with technology. The runner on second trying to clue the batter is fine.
Which is worse:  Sign stealing by the Astros OR that Cop Rock was cancelled before it had a chance to catch on?

Robot umps to call Spring Training games.

Of course people will be upset because then pitch framing will go away.  And so will certain pitchers getting favorable calls because of who they are.  And we all know how much we love that.

Of course people will be upset because then pitch framing will go away.  And so will certain pitchers getting favorable calls because of who they are.  And we all know how much we love that.
Do you know how Robot umps adjust for the height of the hitter?

Do you know how Robot umps adjust for the height of the hitter?
I don't know the specifics, but I'm guessing it measures from the letters to the knees on the fly.  It also says it measures the strikezone in 3D, which would make a difference in a lot of calls.

So the Ringer listed a couple other teams that have been named as sign stealers:

- Diamondbacks
- Indians
- Rangers
- Cubs
- Blue Jays
- Nationals (whoopsie, Sean Doolittle)
- Brewers

So the Ringer listed a couple other teams that have been named as sign stealers:

- Diamondbacks
- Indians
- Rangers
- Cubs
- Blue Jays
- Nationals (whoopsie, Sean Doolittle)
- Brewers
Really hoping the Cubs get proven to have done it in ‘16. Because of all the sanctimonious fans I’ve seen on Twitter. 

This will change the game more than people realize. It will bring more offense to the game, something Im sure is influencing MLB.

He downplayed the whole thing. 

What would be his motive to try to diffuse the situation?

Perhaps seeing 4 other guys heads roll?
Maybe there is no motive and he just doesn't think it is the worst thing that has happened in the history of sports...…...

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope that it turns out all of those teams stole signs, but only when playing the Dodgers.
Totally agree with this.....in fact I read on twitter that every team uses a camera in center field at Dodger stadium so that all visiting teams get this advantage.....especially when Kershaw is on the mound in the playoffs.

I’m really excited for Rojas managing the Mets, way more than I was for Beltran. Rumors are that the coaching staff will stay in tact, including Muelens at bench coach, who was reportedly being looked at by Boston as a candidate.

Giants sign Darin Ruf to a minor league contract.

This dude raked in the minors.  I was so excited to see him get called up because he was going to be the next big superstar for the Phillies.  He hit so many home runs in the minors, his nickname was Babe Ruf.  

And then he just fizzled.  He's not a Phil anymore, obviously, but I hope he does well for the Giants.  I have a soft spot in my heart for that guy.

I feel for that guy who finished last in his fantasy league and should not have and had to do some crazy punishment. 

Probably deserves at least a million for psychological damages. 

Giants sign Darin Ruf to a minor league contract.

This dude raked in the minors.  I was so excited to see him get called up because he was going to be the next big superstar for the Phillies.  He hit so many home runs in the minors, his nickname was Babe Ruf.  

And then he just fizzled.  He's not a Phil anymore, obviously, but I hope he does well for the Giants.  I have a soft spot in my heart for that guy.
Ruf had three good years in Korea.  He's not a prospect at age 33 but with 26 man rosters this year, he could stick as a RH bench bat and lefty masher.  Defensively, he's a DH though.

Astros interviewed Ausmus after all that controversy when Marisnick barreled into the Angels catcher last year and hurt him. 

Crane thinks he’s Jerry Jones now it feels like. 

GM ought to be hired first and let him have a big say or all the say in the manager. 

Keuchel talked about the sign stealing. He apologized but said that was the state of baseball. Everyone was doing it. He said that didn’t make it right, but it was true. 

He also said it wasn’t utilized every game. But the biggest thing was when they asked him about Fiers. He said a lot by not saying much. He basically implied he was pissed that Fiers tatted on his brothers. And it sounded like he no longer considered him a friend. Which is exactly how I figured most players would feel. 

Out of all sports, there are no bigger a holes than baseball players. They are the worst. I can’t imagine Fiers being treated well in any clubhouse anymore. 

Gone.  What was it?
Allegations that Mike Fiers liked young girls including one 17 yr old in particular.  it included her Instagram posts and text screen shots.  Nothing substantiated yet though. Supposedly the guy who posted that thread was shopping her story for $$$. Not a good look for Fiers and one that may draw attention  for law enforcement. 

Castellanos to the Reds.  Not that big of news since I feel like it was unofficially announced last week.  But nice for the Reds.

Outfield is getting awfully crowded.  Assuming they are going to make another move that sends Senzel.  
I will start by saying I have no direct knowledge of the front office plans, other than to put together the most competitive team they can with the intention of winning THIS year, and into the next several. 

One of the guys on the grounds crew told me about the signing, and then we were talking to a few guys in the tunnel, and there is a general buzz and excitement here at the ballpark about the team this year.  Your thoughts on them moving Senzel are not uncommon, but for any real upgrade, I think that might have to include India or some minor league pitching.  I'm not sure if that would include Lodolo or Greene, but I have to believe they are trying to work any and all options.

I think they are a slam dunk reliever and maybe an upgrade at SS or C to really be in the mix for a title.  They also need to stay healthy and have a bit of a bounceback from Votto.  I think this team has a good year, and hopefully we can finally get a postseason win for this city.  Its been too long.

I will start by saying I have no direct knowledge of the front office plans, other than to put together the most competitive team they can with the intention of winning THIS year, and into the next several. 

One of the guys on the grounds crew told me about the signing, and then we were talking to a few guys in the tunnel, and there is a general buzz and excitement here at the ballpark about the team this year.  Your thoughts on them moving Senzel are not uncommon, but for any real upgrade, I think that might have to include India or some minor league pitching.  I'm not sure if that would include Lodolo or Greene, but I have to believe they are trying to work any and all options.

I think they are a slam dunk reliever and maybe an upgrade at SS or C to really be in the mix for a title.  They also need to stay healthy and have a bit of a bounceback from Votto.  I think this team has a good year, and hopefully we can finally get a postseason win for this city.  Its been too long.
Senzel is coming off shoulder surgery so hard to know what his value would even be.

Users who are viewing this thread