What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Games Thread - Observations and commentary from the FBG Shark Pool (1 Viewer)

Jacobi Meyers with 7 for 74 tonight although I did see him drop one early and pulled up too short on another route.
I think Meyers is getting overhyped. When he played with Brady, he stopped running on a route, he had a drop (although it would have been a difficult catch), and he had a holding call that wiped out a big run by Michel. I wouldn't say that he looked lost with Brady, but I don't think he was as actively looked at very much by Brady. All his numbers and production in the preseason has come playing with backup QBs. Brady even mentioned after the game that he needs to trust that his receivers will read and react to the defense and rookies and new guys take time to build a rapport.

My other concern for Meyers is that Edelman hasn't played. Gordon hasn't played. Thomas just got activated. Harry has barely played. Meyers should make the roster, but I am not sure how involved he will be once the other guys get up and running.

good point of view on Meyers.thanks.

the formula is pretty much:

run michel into the ground, pass to edelman and  james white early and often. wash rinse repeat.

Dismattle said:
What was your impression of Rodney Anderson?  I do believe I continued to notice several things via highlights   Love to know what happened on the running plays  So anyway first thing id note is the hands extended for a pass  Not saying he "looks like a WR"  He just appears competent and comfortable   Once the ball is in his hands it's like an extended run play   Obvious goal being the EZ   Ability to get his pads low   Nearly full speed using a hand to the ground to retain his balance  Sorta reminds me of a cross between say P. Lindsay and perhaps P. Harvin   Lotta backs have "vision" and "wiggle"  He seems to have enough of all the characteristics and even more so at some which make for a legit 3 down back
There was no room on the vast majority of his runs, but Rodney made the most of what was there. On one play where a defender engaged him deep in the backfield, he shook him off in classic Rodney style.

The receiving ability might be a surprise to some, but Rodney is a fantastic all-around RB. He's a lot like Mixon as a prospect, but a more powerful runner.

The only issue with Rodney is staying healthy. It's why he was drafted in the the 6th round instead of something commensurate with his actual ability. Considering his price, though, he makes a great stash, IMO.

There was no room on the vast majority of his runs, but Rodney made the most of what was there. On one play where a defender engaged him deep in the backfield, he shook him off in classic Rodney style.

The receiving ability might be a surprise to some, but Rodney is a fantastic all-around RB. He's a lot like Mixon as a prospect, but a more powerful runner.

The only issue with Rodney is staying healthy. It's why he was drafted in the the 6th round instead of something commensurate with his actual ability. Considering his price, though, he makes a great stash, IMO.
You know it's probably good to remind folks about the mans prior injury woes  It was pointed out that there's an older thread on the player which I might offer my perspective on those injuries  Fact is I was disappointed in the sample size for runs  8 for 9 is right about enough info for me to think the guy only capable of 100 yds against the worst of defenses on a good day   Thought I read 8 yd's on his first carry alone which just clouded my judgment   Overall it looks like I may have to try an watch more of Mixon  I get rushing leader, but I guess I been too focused on him at least in the past not being able to keep Gio off the field...

You know it's probably good to remind folks about the mans prior injury woes  It was pointed out that there's an older thread on the player which I might offer my perspective on those injuries  Fact is I was disappointed in the sample size for runs  8 for 9 is right about enough info for me to think the guy only capable of 100 yds against the worst of defenses on a good day   Thought I read 8 yd's on his first carry alone which just clouded my judgment   Overall it looks like I may have to try an watch more of Mixon  I get rushing leader, but I guess I been too focused on him at least in the past not being able to keep Gio off the field...
I mentioned his injury issue & him staying healthy.

Rodney is a legit feature back prospect who fell because of injury woes. It makes for a unique situation to get in on the ground floor without risking much.

I really like those kinds of player profiles because of the upside/cost ratio.

Jarrad Davis hurt his leg. Couldn’t put weight on it and had to be helped off. Huge loss for the Lions D.

Was that Todd Bowles I just saw on the sidelines for the Bucs?????

WOW..... Now I am even higher on the Bucs offensive guys this year...... because Todd Bowles has proven time and time again he can stop NO ONE.

Jameis Winston , welcome to my fantasy teams~!   :)

TZM

That Ty Johnson hype >.>

Good drive for the Lions, though. Wouldn't  be surprised if that was it for the first string.

Take a step and touch Josh Allen as he was falling = penalty.

Take at least a step and help push Stafford to the ground after throwing the ball away = good play >.>

Ragnow with a leg injury, couldn't put weight on it. Good thing the Lions played their starters for 1.5 quarters this game, it looks like may have cost them their 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for the season. 

Was that Todd Bowles I just saw on the sidelines for the Bucs?????

WOW..... Now I am even higher on the Bucs offensive guys this year...... because Todd Bowles has proven time and time again he can stop NO ONE.

Jameis Winston , welcome to my fantasy teams~!   :)

TZM
Huh? Bowles was actually a great D Coordinator. He’s just a terrible HC.

Ragnow with a leg injury, couldn't put weight on it. Good thing the Lions played their starters for 1.5 quarters this game, it looks like may have cost them their 2017 and 2018 1st round picks for the season. 

Preseason is so played out. Joint practices are enough for the starters imo. Even with preseason, teams are still working out the kinks for the first 2-3 games of the regular season, so who cares. It's not serving to get teams ready. They should be able to evaluate their guys in practices. And there should be expanded rosters. 

Fun Fact: Fatt Patricia was a defensive coordinator prior to taking the DET HC job.

TD Bills.
Much of the Bills scoring drive was aided by Lions penalties which is just good coaching. Your opponent can't put up yards on your D if you keep committing penalties. Do it enough and the D might lead the league in fewest yards given up per game. 

Huh? Bowles was actually a great D Coordinator. He’s just a terrible HC.
Yep, I said it mostly as a joke.   He was definitely better as a coordinator than he was as a head coach.  But thats kind of a bad way to look at it I suppose.

He was  terrible as a head coach.

One of my buddies, hes a tried, tested and true Jets fan.  In 20 years, I have never heard him say a single bad word about any Jet whatsoever.... and there has been some BAD Jets in that time frame. He never even #####ed about the "butt fumble" and Sanchez. (even if he thought someone was bad, he kept it to himself)

Then about 2 years ago while playing poker, he finally piped up and declared "Todd Bowles is just flat awful".

You would have to know this guy to get it, but several of the guys that know him well just couldn't stop laughing.

TZM

Preseason is so played out. Joint practices are enough for the starters imo. Even with preseason, teams are still working out the kinks for the first 2-3 games of the regular season, so who cares. It's not serving to get teams ready. They should be able to evaluate their guys in practices. And there should be expanded rosters. 
I don't know, the rhythm the team got into in that 1.5 quarters might be worth losing 2 of our 10 best players for the year. 

I don't know, the rhythm the team got into in that 1.5 quarters might be worth losing 2 of our 10 best players for the year. 
It’s almost like playing in a game that doesn’t matter and that most players (and coaches) half ### might lead to injuries because, you know, the peak level athletes are doing things differently than how they would be if the games actually mattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a good thing what the Cardinals want to do but when your OLine and D is on the level of Washington and Miami you’re not going to be a very good team. Detroit is looking like an interesting streaming D option to me week 1.

Users who are viewing this thread