What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Thursday night stats count if myu draft is that night? (1 Viewer)

bgkennedy19

Footballguy
My draft is on ESPN Thursday night during the 1st game of the season. Does anyone know if players drafted from that game will have their points count towards weeks matchup?

Usually ESPN locks players from going into your line up when the game starts.  So my guess is no they wouldn't be under normal rules.  I would talk to the commish and put it to a vote to clarify.  

if MVS gets a long TD in the first quarter, how early do you draft him?  If Montgomery has no touches in the first quarter how late do you drop him?

Usually ESPN locks players from going into your line up when the game starts.  So my guess is no they wouldn't be under normal rules.  I would talk to the commish and put it to a vote to clarify.  

if MVS gets a long TD in the first quarter, how early do you draft him?  If Montgomery has no touches in the first quarter how late do you drop him?
Many of the high stakes contests draft the sat after the opener. 

The year I played in WCOFF Roethlisberger was hurt & the backup had a monster night. Ended up an 8th round pick - and was worth it for that 1 game. 

Last year my IDP league had a late schedule conflict so we did the same - and it was after game 1’s Chiefs explosion. I drafted KHunt (and his 40+ points) at 1.09 instead of 2.04 where I’d intended to take him. And it was so worth it. 

As long as the league all knows that the stats count, it can add a unique twist to the draft. 

And since it’s the latest possible time to draft, you know your players are healthy & you don’t even have to wait 24 hours for the games to start.  :pickle:

as for Montgomery, you shut your whore mouth! :lol:  

I would think they have to.  Would be rough drafting Adams, Rodgers etc and not having their stats count for the first week.

I love drafting the Saturday after the Thursday night opener and having those stats count.  Fun to see the over reaction to either a good or bad 1st week.

I would think they have to.  Would be rough drafting Adams, Rodgers etc and not having their stats count for the first week.

I love drafting the Saturday after the Thursday night opener and having those stats count.  Fun to see the over reaction to either a good or bad 1st week.
It really throws a wrench into ADP, which I kinda love. 

The year I played in WCOFF Roethlisberger was hurt & the backup had a monster night. Ended up an 8th round pick - and was worth it for that 1 game. 

Last year my IDP league had a late schedule conflict so we did the same - and it was after game 1’s Chiefs explosion. I drafted KHunt (and his 40+ points) at 1.09 instead of 2.04 where I’d intended to take him. And it was so worth it. 

As long as the league all knows that the stats count, it can add a unique twist to the draft. 

And since it’s the latest possible time to draft, you know your players are healthy & you don’t even have to wait 24 hours for the games to start.  :pickle:

My favorite FFPC over reaction was when Kevin Ogletree, WR for Dallas goes off for 3 TDs in the Thursday night game and was taken in the 6th round (in our draft anyway).  Was great for week one, but didn't exactly live up to that draft status the rest of the way.

For about a 4 year stretch we held our draft the Saturday after the Thursday Night game - and while it ruined the draft on some level (totally messed with ADP) it did also create some very interesting scenarios.

The one I remember most is when Peyton Manning threw 6 TDs passes against Baltimore. I had the No. 3 overall pick and one of my buddies was desperately trying to trade for the pick. We worked out a deal and then the guy who was playing him that week spent the "meet and greet" portion of draft day trying to convince the guy with the No. 2 pick to take Manning at 2. He was unsuccessful. :D

There was also the case of Kevin Ogletree scoring 3 TDs on opening night and then getting drafted in Round 4 (he scored one more TD all season).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just contacted ESPN and the pints will count retroactively
I would clear with your Commish.  This should be something discussed and agreed upon by your league before the game starts.

I have one league where we start a slow email draft the Tuesday after labor day and finish it with a live draft at a local pizza place while the game is going on.  Right before the game starts every team must commit if they are playing anybody on their roster in that game....then as the game and draft are going on if you take someone in the game you have to announce at the time you make the pick whether that guy is in your lineup or not.  This screwed me the year Julius Thomas went off because he was going to be my late round TE but right when he scored his second TD the guy on the clock too him (he had never even heard of him before) and put him in his lineup for the week.  It makes for a fun time with the whole league together to kick off the season.

My other long time league (started in 1985) always drafts the Saturday night before the first games.  We made a decision once they started doing the Thursday games that we would keep that draft date (makes it like Christmas eve.....draft your team and get up the next day to watch them) and that you could put the guys from Thursday in your lineup if you wanted.  It makes some guys move up in the draft and other move back but everyone knows ahead of time so there is no advantage by anyone.  It makes for an interesting strategy some years.

Users who are viewing this thread