What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeSean McCoy (1 Viewer)

Didn’t know people aware so adamant and butt hurt to defend a washed 31 year old RB with a 3.2 YPC last season. I’m sure hoarding all the Frank Gores, ADP’s and McCoy’s is doing you well in your leagues. 
People aren't butthurt. You're projecting that. I'm certainly not and am willing to simply defend it knowing that the numbers look bad. I don't think he's unworthy of a mid-to-late flier in a fantasy draft.

Didn’t know people aware so adamant and butt hurt to defend a washed 31 year old RB with a 3.2 YPC last season. I’m sure hoarding all the Frank Gores, ADP’s and McCoy’s is doing you well in your leagues. 
I wasn't defending McCoy at all, just pointing out that you're wrong. It's not the same thing even if you try to move the goalposts. McCoy could be the worst RB in the league and his contract still wouldn't be "irrelevant" in this discussion. 

Nobody is going to sign McCoy until after Week 1 because no team is going to want to guarantee that salary for the season.
It's his new salary we're talking about, right? If so, I wouldn't be shocked if someone throws an offer at him, knowing that the competition for his services could heat up after week 1.

Actually won a league last year in no small part because of ADP's performance. It was a start eleven league, and lo! the old guy won me a championship. 

It's his new salary we're talking about, right? If so, I wouldn't be shocked if someone throws an offer at him, knowing that the competition for his services could heat up after week 1.
Yeah, it's possible. There are talks the Chargers have interest. Whether that's an indication that they don't expect Gordon at all or they are floating it out as leverage who knows, but that makes sense along with Houston.

Really all comes down to how much does McCoy think he's still worth?

If McCoy goes to Houston or LA I think he'll be a total bust. If he is given nice big holes and can get to open space he can still be effective. But he doesn't have the same burst or juice anymore and he isn't the type of guy that is going to just plow into a small crease to take 3 yards. He's always looking for the big play and doesn't often settle for what's there. That was fine when he had tremendous burst and could make guys miss in a phone booth and shoot upfield for big plays. But he doesn't have that same ability anymore and his ego/brain hasn't accepted that.

The Buffalo O-line last year was awful and McCoy was constantly tackled for losses while trying to run back and forth behind the LOS looking for a big play. Most of the other RBs on the team had way more success because they were at least willing to just plow into the line and take the 1-3 yard gain rather than put the team in bad situations by losing 4 yards.

The O-lines in LA and Houston are both pretty bad. I don't think there will be large holes and lots of open space for runners in either place. So I don't see success for him in either place.

Where Shady would succeed now would be a team with a decent O-line and a wide open spread offense that would get him into space. KC and NO type offenses/situations. Or heck, if the Colts decided to make Chad Kelly their QB, I think their team/situation would be a fit for Shady.

He's 6.4 million dollars in savings. You're not going to get all indignant obtuse like Gordon/Chubb/etc., are you? Because then there's no point in this exercise.
mccoy ypc past 3 yrs.... 5.4 / 4  / 3.2

30+yrs old. brought in gore and drafted singletary.

bills know he sucks. prepared for it. cut him. because the other 2 are better already. cheaper is just the icing on the cake

6m cap space means nothing if it means keeping a difference maker who will net you wins. obviously, bills dont think he will

Again, I don't expect him to beat worlds, but he can be a useful fantasy asset at the right investment. I have a hard time believing he'd average 3.2 YPC again. 

Again, I don't expect him to beat worlds, but he can be a useful fantasy asset at the right investment. I have a hard time believing he'd average 3.2 YPC again. 
I too “have a hard time believing he’d average 3.2 YPC again,” and yet I feel like we’re on opposite sides of this question.  I think he’s done.  😛

This has been like the longest awaited, most anticipated cut of 2019. 
They should have just done it a while ago, no? Or was something preventing that? Must have been having to see Singletary and Gore in person or something.

Chris Brown‏Verified account @ChrisBrownBills 3m3 minutes ago

Beane: McCoy was frustrated, understandably so. We believe in LeSean and still believe he can play. But you can’t treat every decision in a vacuum. It was down to the last minute with this decision. #Bills

@MatthewFairburn

After the drafting Devin Singletary, Beane said this on LeSean McCoy: "LeSean McCoy is still here. Before you ask that question, he's still the starter. We roll the ball out, there's no questions about that."
How odd for a GM to be less than totally candid with the media about his team's plans for player management.
He was just being clever with his words. "Before you ask the question, he's still the starter. But after you ask, he's not."

if he was better than the 40yr old, he'd still be on the roster. which was my entire point.

he's not. he's a lame duck
This is ignorant. Frank Gore is a freak. And future HOF and can still be an effective RB in the NFL.

That is fact.

This was a cap decision. Why pay McCoy when Gore can give you the same production? Purely economic decision. And a smart one at that. He will land somewhere else after week one.

I agree.  He can still contribute. Especially on 3rd down.
Oof.

And that's not by way of critiquing your point, it's just that I see him as more than a 3rd down back still. I must be delusional, but I also gambled on Peterson last year and won. 

Oof.

And that's not by way of critiquing your point, it's just that I see him as more than a 3rd down back still. I must be delusional, but I also gambled on Peterson last year and won. 
I’d agree.  I drafted him in the 8th round BECAUSE I thought I was getting a starting running back at late value. Not because I was getting a solid 3rd down back. 

Either way, I was wrong. He’s my 4th running back and wasn’t starting for me week 1 anyways, so I won’t panic, but would love to see him end up somewhere useful to my roster. 

Holding him in limbo is no fun. Especially with a few lottery ticket gems sitting out in free agency.

How odd for a GM to be less than totally candid with the media about his team's plans for player management.
I think they were waiting to see what they had in Singletary. With McCoy and Gore only being signed through this year, Singletary was obviously drafted with an eye towards the future. The Bills obviously saw enough in Singletary to decide that the future is now rather than next year. 

Oof.

Shady and ADP are different runners. ADP is big, strong, and mostly a straight line runner. Shady is smaller and his success was built on being shifty and having tremendous acceleration. I think ADPs style lends itself to a slower decline in production barring injury than Shady's. Just my .02.

Shady and ADP are different runners. ADP is big, strong, and mostly a straight line runner. Shady is smaller and his success was built on being shifty and having tremendous acceleration. I think ADPs style lends itself to a slower decline in production barring injury than Shady's. Just my .02.
I totally agree. One thing I remember about McCoy is his desire to make guys miss in the backfield with jukes and changes of direction. If he's lost that and still runs the same, then yes, he's in trouble.

I can't see the Chargers as a real landing spot. That just sounds like very transparent bluffing toward Gordon. Both Ekeler and Jackson likely have more to offer than McCoy at this point. Texans would make sense, especially since they just freed up a ton of money, not that I'd expect McCoy to fetch more than 2 million or so.

Tampa Bay makes sense.   I'm not buying the Chargers.   Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome are all better than McCoy at this point.   Is Pope going to get cut?

Chris Brown‏Verified account @ChrisBrownBills 3m3 minutes ago

Beane: McCoy was frustrated, understandably so. We believe in LeSean and still believe he can play. But you can’t treat every decision in a vacuum. It was down to the last minute with this decision. #Bills
Umm... It was?

This statement was made like 2-3 hours ago.

As of the time I am posting this, we're still not "down to the last minute" on the cut down deadline.

Umm... It was?

This statement was made like 2-3 hours ago.

As of the time I am posting this, we're still not "down to the last minute" on the cut down deadline.
Probably just means that they didn't draw this out knowing exactly what they would do beforehand and that the competition for a spot was on the up-and-up.

The Bills must have thought Shady was possibly worth $6.4 million because if he had gotten hurt they would have been obligated to pay him that money.  They would not have risked that if they didn't believe that they were maybe going to keep him.  It wouldn't have been surprising if Shady had faked a hamstring injury last week in order to get an injury settlement.

Users who are viewing this thread