What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever done steroids? (1 Viewer)

Have you ever done roids?

• Yes, and with no regrets.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Yes, but I wish I hadn’t.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never had a desire to use steroids.

Votes: 78 77.2%
  • No, I wanted to, but couldn’t get them.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • No, I wanted to, but I was afraid of getting arrested.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I wanted to, but was afraid of the side effects.

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters

Gary Coal Man

Footballguy
I’m listening to a podcast about steroids, and was just curious who among the FFA has used roids and whether they regret it or are fine with their past or current use.

Outside of professional athletes, I don't get it at all. If I'm going to take drugs, they damn well better get me high af.

The only appeal to me was the supposed quicker recovery.  But the side effects kept me from even begin remotely serious about it.

A teenage me desperately wanted more muscles under the belief that I’d then be pulling perfect tens.  Seems funny to think about now.
Me, I was a fairly muscular young man.  I did not worry about my physique. My impediment with the ladies was my visage and personality and I knew of no steroids that would change/improve my looks nor address my personality. 

If taking steroids could have turned my Steve Buscemi face into Hugh Jackman face I would have taken them, but alas, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my 20s I worked out at a gym that had many competitive bodybuilders.  Know many people who took them as they were readily available if you were a regular there.

I’m listening to a podcast about steroids, and was just curious who among the FFA has used roids and whether they regret it or are fine with their past or current use.
I was prescribed steroids and had no issue taking them nor withdrawing from them. It was for shoulder surgery. I'm fine with having had taken them. 

Fascinating.  What was it like?  Was it comparable to the withdrawal pains you hear associated with stronger recreational drugs?
It was 4 years ago, so I don't remember much, other than hating the feeling. I took time off work it was so bad.

And I don't know what it's like to withdraw from other drugs. Sorry. 

Steroid story.  In my early 20s I trained 5-6 days a week with my best friend. We were both single and met at the gym after work and did a 2 hour workout almost every night.  Looking back now it was way over training but everyone was working out that way during that period.

We were both around 6-1 220lbs at the time and were gaining strength at about the same pace in all exercises.   Our goal was to bench 300.  We did finally hit it.   Then our next goal was 315, 3 45lb plates on each side...I finally got one rep at that weight, my buddy got one, then 2, then over a 3-4 month period he was getting 315 for 7-8 reps while I am still stuck on 1 at 315.  Then he got 345 for 2 reps and is killing me in every other exercise we did and I can`t figure out why.  I am looking at him as he has obviously gained weight and muscle and finally say "WTH are you on?"

He admits he was cycling testosterone injections with oral winstrol he purchased from a competitive bodybuilder at the gym. 

So if you ever wondered if steroids work..yes they do.  The problem is as he cycled off slowly his lost all the strength and size he gained while on them.     So many get caught up in that cycle and get depressed when off.  

Steroid story.  In my early 20s I trained 5-6 days a week with my best friend. We were both single and met at the gym after work and did a 2 hour workout almost every night.  Looking back now it was way over training but everyone was working out that way during that period.

We were both around 6-1 220lbs at the time and were gaining strength at about the same pace in all exercises.   Our goal was to bench 300.  We did finally hit it.   Then our next goal was 315, 3 45lb plates on each side...I finally got one rep at that weight, my buddy got one, then 2, then over a 3-4 month period he was getting 315 for 7-8 reps while I am still stuck on 1 at 315.  Then he got 345 for 2 reps and is killing me in every other exercise we did and I can`t figure out why.  I am looking at him as he has obviously gained weight and muscle and finally say "WTH are you on?"

He admits he was cycling testosterone injections with oral winstrol he purchased from a competitive bodybuilder at the gym. 

So if you ever wondered if steroids work..yes they do.  The problem is as he cycled off slowly his lost all the strength and size he gained while on them.     So many get caught up in that cycle and get depressed when off.  
I have a guy who I know (tough to call him a friend but he lived across the street from me.)

He's really big and works out all the time.  He's almost 40, depressed now, and going through a divorce.   He lost access to his kids because he failed multiple drug tests.

I read that last paragraph of yours and I think about him and how his entire identity is around being big and working out.  (He doesn't work.)  At some point he will be 50 years old and no one will care about his size and if he ever gets off the rumored steroids, he will have a tough go of it.  Sad.

I was prescribed steroids to try and restore hearing in my left ear (they failed). 

The weening off period of the prescription was one of the worst experiences of my life. 
I was prescribed steroids to counter balance the side effects of chemo. Sucked. Insomnia was the worst. I would not take them again.

The problem with steroids (and all drugs) is that people abuse them. 

I know people who have been on them for 10 years straight and never come off. Complete monsters. 

I know people who do one 10-12 week cycle every spring and they just like looking and feeling amazing for he summers.

They work and work in every aspect you can imagine. IMHO, Barry Bonds got all those home runs more because of the supreme confidence and boost to his hand-and-eye coordination, the strength was just icing on the cake. They make you feel like you’re 18 and depending on your hormone levels you are either gorilla Fn the wife of having trouble staying erect. This is why it's important to get your levels checked. 

Theres a joke that if can get hard than you have to question your gear.  

You can buy them online for relatively cheap. You MUST take a post cycle treatment or you will get your hormones out of wack.

If you’re interested you will need to befriend someone who’s knowledgeable as it isn’t something you want to try al by yourself. 

Everyone is an expert but essentially it works like this:

Every 4 days = 10cc injection in your butt(you can watch YouTube vids on this) You do NOT inject them into your bloodstream and if you accidentally do, it’s a “wasted” shot. You might feel a little lightheaded but you’ll be fine. 

That will last about 10 weeks.

You won’t start to feel it until week 2

The effects will last 2 weeks after your last injection

Two weeks after your last injection you will take your post therapy, pill or liquid, you’ll take more at first and hen less and less every day for two weeks.

Again, this is just cliff notes/vague description of the process since you’re curious. 

Then our next goal was 315, 3 45lb plates on each side...I finally got one rep at that weight, my buddy got one, then 2, then over a 3-4 month period he was getting 315 for 7-8 reps while I am still stuck on 1 at 315.  Then he got 345 for 2 reps and is killing me in every other exercise we did and I can`t figure out why.  I am looking at him as he has obviously gained weight and muscle and finally say "WTH are you on?"

So if you ever wondered if steroids work..yes they do.  
This part of your steroid story was funny to me because on the podcast that inspired this thread a former steroid user said he can spot roid users at the gym.  He cited guys who weigh under 250 but do reps with 315 on the bench as likely roid users.

This part of your steroid story was funny to me because on the podcast that inspired this thread a former steroid user said he can spot roid users at the gym.  He cited guys who weigh under 250 but do reps with 315 on the bench as likely roid users.
Under 250?  I have seen guys who weigh 180-190 benching 315 for reps.  This was at the Detroit Powerhouse Gym 6 Mile and Woodward and not in the best of areas, known for hardcore bodybuilders.   Lenda Murray who won Ms Olympia a number of times trained there as well.  This was no Planet or Lifetime Fitness type of place. 

Under 250?  I have seen guys who weigh 180-190 benching 315 for reps.  This was at the Detroit Powerhouse Gym 6 Mile and Woodward and not in the best of areas, known for hardcore bodybuilders.   Lenda Murray who won Ms Olympia a number of times trained there as well.  This was no Planet or Lifetime Fitness type of place. 
Yeah, I thought his numbers sounded a bit off too, but that’s what he said.

I’ve been on steroids for short periods due to medical reasons, i.e. surgery recovery, inflammation, etc.  I couldn’t imagine doing them to bulk up.  That just seems so not worth it to me.  What’s the point?  Confidence booster?

I’ve been on steroids for short periods due to medical reasons, i.e. surgery recovery, inflammation, etc.  I couldn’t imagine doing them to bulk up.  That just seems so not worth it to me.  What’s the point?  Confidence booster?
Some people take them to bulk up and some people take them just to feel 18. I have friends who use them that think doing one cycle a year and being in shape and feeling amazing is less damage than eating McDonald’s every day. YMMV

If You’re interested you should talk to your doctor about hormone replacement therapy.

Much safer

Some people take them to bulk up and some people take them just the feel 18. I have friends who use them that think doing one cycle a year and being in shape and feeling amazing is less damage than eating McDonald’s every day.
It certainly could be.  I don’t think either is a good idea, but to each their own.

Voted: Never, never had the desire.

Where/when I grew up steroids were everywhere. Mexico was 4-5 hour drive away so it was easy to get a supply. Knew a guy that started taking them in 6th grade (I was in 5th). Junior high was 7-8th where I grew up so I didn't see the guy again for 1.5 years. Here are things I remember.

1) Guy was literally looking for a fight every day. In 7th grade I once witnessed him beat up a kid on the kid's front lawn, then as the kid's dad tried to intervene he kicked the dad's ### as well.

2) He stopped growing at 5'3'' but weighed 215lbs. I swear he was about as wide as he was tall.

3) He set the freshman bench and squat record for my high school at 385lbs and 465lbs. 

4) His junior year, he learned he wasn't tougher than a car as he was run over by a guy he was threatening at a party. Leg was shattered and basically became a butterball after that.

======

Different guy at my high school had a heart attack - it was attributed to steroid use. It was common knowledge that several of the football players used. Also, it was pretty obvious when one year a player was struggling to max 225 but after the summer they all of a sudden are putting up 315 like it wasn't a big deal and attribute their huge gain in strength to eating bananas and drinking milk.

======

On the freshmen football team I knew several guys that were using. All of them #######s. Now, I don't know if the roids made you an ####### or if #######s just gravitated towards using roids but regardless, the side effect are real.

======

Local gym where I worked out was filled with guys on roids almost all of them #######s too.

======

Supposedly one of my bosses was using at a restaurant I worked in high school. TBH, he was a jerk, but not on the same level as other people I knew. He did give me a guilt trip when I quit working at the restaurant as if I was never going to amount to anything. I suppose it is possible that packing Moo Goo Gai Pan and Goo Lo Yuke for take out might be a matter of national security or something... but I was willing to take my chances and leave the minimum wage security blanket behind.

======

All that said, while I never had the desire to take them at all, if I was an elite athlete - or bordered on being an elite athlete, and could set up my family for several generations by making millions in my early twenties if I take a few cycles, I would definitely consider it. Hell no, if it was just to start on a high school/college sport or trying to look ripped.

I've never used them, but they're perfectly safe with supervision from your doctor.
I was friends with a married couple who were both short (he was about 5'4" and she was 5'1"), their kids were very small as well. Their doctor put all 3 of their pre-pubescent kids on steroids and they've grown to be average sized teens.

All that said, while I never had the desire to take them at all, if I was an elite athlete - or bordered on being an elite athlete, and could set up my family for several generations by making millions in my early twenties if I take a few cycles, I would definitely consider it. Hell no, if it was just to start on a high school/college sport or trying to look ripped.

I know a former NFLer who said he regrets NOT taking them and cites Shawn Merrimans contract as an example of why. He still did very well but not THAT well. 

He says he never really noticed them coming up in the ranks. He only saw them at the end of his career. 

I've never used them, but they're perfectly safe with supervision from your doctor.
I was friends with a married couple who were both short (he was about 5'4" and she was 5'1"), their kids were very small as well. Their doctor put all 3 of their pre-pubescent kids on steroids and they've grown to be average sized teens.
I don't know if they are perfectly safe. Risk can be minimized and potential positives might outweigh potential negatives but I would never say any sort of med that can permanently affect your body and body's chemistry as perfectly safe.

I know a former NFLer who said he regrets NOT taking them and cites Shawn Merrimans contract as an example of why. He still did very well but not THAT well. 

He says he never really noticed them coming up in the ranks. He only saw them at the end of his career. 
Yep, look at Barry Bonds - obviously not a user for most of his career but then you get Sosa/McGwire putting up huge numbers, getting the accolades, getting paid, all while anyone with a shred of commonsense knew they were using. Bonds made as much money from 2003-2007 as he did from 1986-2002. I think most people would do a lot of things - much worse things - than taking roids for 90+ million.

I don't know if they are perfectly safe. Risk can be minimized and potential positives might outweigh potential negatives but I would never say any sort of med that can permanently affect your body and body's chemistry as perfectly safe.
Testosterone is a naturally occurring chemical your body produces. 

My roommate the second year of college was a small-time steroids dealer.  A couple of football players would come to our room to get shots..  One of them had a famous uncle, but they never amounted to anything football playing-wise.

I took a couple of shots.  Noticed a difference.  Then my roommate disappeared  after I gave him $40 for more.  I never took steroids after that.  Saw him again a couple years later.  He was jacked, but had one of those eyes that was all messed up (sideways) like someone beat the #### out of him.  I'm guessing he probably stole money from a few people. 

Testosterone is a naturally occurring chemical your body produces. 
That doesn't make any difference. The body also produces ethanol through various biological pathways - which is why pretty much every organism on earth can break down/digest alcohol - that doesn't mean it is good for you to drink a handle of vodka every day. There are plenty of diseases caused by overactive glands - like hyperthyroidism or hyperpituitarism - which are basically just producing more of a hormone (just like testosterone) than the body needs/wants/is good for it.

Yeah, as a former gym rat, I was close to benching that weighing 165. I’d expect steroid users to be a lot bigger and stronger.

i did steroids just last year.   twice actually.  cleared up the inflammation around the disc in my back really nicely.   

Yeah, as a former gym rat, I was close to benching that weighing 165. I’d expect steroid users to be a lot bigger and stronger.
Some people take them to get huge and others take them to get cut up.

You still have to work hard to get huge or cut, if people just take steroids and don’t exercise you’ll blow up into a fat sloppy mess. 

Steroids are a class of medications with a wide range of effects. The stuff you’d be prescribed isn’t the same as anabolic, androgenic stuff that a bodybuilder would abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread