What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor cut down our tree (1 Viewer)

Right.  He's continuing to lie to you.  A simple recount of your conversation with the arborist will let him know that you know he's lying.
I thought about doing that too, but I'm not sure that will benefit gianmarco, outside the satisfaction of calling him out to his face. A guy like that will likely just continue to play dumb, or become obstructionist just to make this more painful for Gian.

Holy carp, did he really go from 90% to 75% in the span of a few sentences? As this guy is in construction, he probably knows where to get a low-ball estimate. I'd gat one or two of my own.
No, he didn't go there. I was saying that it's about 90% mine. That's my interpretation of the stump and where that property line is.

His interpretation of the same situation is 75/25. 

You can decide on your own based on the pictures I provided. 

Sounds like your neighbor is more than a bit of a #### so you're in a tricky situation.  He may say the right things but as you've written it, there's no doubt that he knew what he was doing and was in a "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" mode.   I read iguana's suggestion which had merit but for me might be a little too milquetoast.  I think I'd probably be a little more aggressive and let him know who the alpha dog is so he doesn't try to pull any other shady #### in the future.  That approach risks escalating the situation to the point of no return though.  
Are you suggesting Gianmarco pees on the property line, or right up to it?

No, he didn't go there. I was saying that it's about 90% mine. That's my interpretation of the stump and where that property line is.

Oh, I see. Doesn't really matter, as you've already pointed out. But I agree he's trying to insinuate his ownership as a ploy to reduce the offer.

I'm with you in never involving lawyers in any disputes (including a divorce). I hope you can keep this amicable.

That tree is likely going to be valued at around $5-6K. Somewhere between that and say $10K would be reasonable. If he can get some comparable valued trees for less, then I don't care how much he spends if it's less. 

For example, I found a 9 inch oak or Maple is about $4250. If he offers to put a couple of those, I'd probably be fine with it. One probably not enough. That's about where I am now but willing to listen to what he proposes.

It also depends on my wife who is currently on the sidelines with this but will have lots to say when this gets to that point. 

If he starts offering $1-2K, I'm going to start asking for $15K. So it really is up to his next move.
make sure he includes the price of a 6' high wood fence to separate your properties in his offer.

This is a great example.  Dogs aren't worth much monetarily.  But you can't "replace" an actual dog.  So does getting a check for $3K or $5K or $20K bring the dog back?  Of course not.  But you better believe I'd go after every penny I could from someone that did that. 

This truly isn't that far off in terms of how I feel about what happened being almost 100% certain of his intent here.  This isn't a money grab.  I'm telling you if the guy offered me a check of $20K today and I had the option of taking it or just going back in time and not having to deal with any of this, I'd rather just have the tree.  But I'm not turning down his check of $20K when he intentionally took down a tree he was clearly advised was almost certainly not on his property before it came down.
That contractor knows how much a mature tree like that is worth, and knew he was taking a big monetary risk by cutting it down illegally. And he sounds like an all around scumbag.

Get your own estimates from landscaping companies that specialize in this (someone maybe @Fish covered that upthread) and tell him to pay you triple that. That's a fair settlement. Otherwise, he'll pay that plus legal fees.

i'm still pissed about the first ever bunch of bananas, that someone stole (gardeners), that my banana trees ever produced.  it made my daughter cry!!!  ####ers!!!!  currently have 2 bunches growing.  i watch them like a hawk.  i've considered throwing a tomato plant cage around them and electrifying it.  people suck
Banana plants are not trees. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering what would be his motive for doing it intentionally? 

Not like he’s building something right on the line. 

Based on what you said it doesn’t matter. That said if you extended two lines from the center point of the trunk to the two edges that are on the property line roughly 25% of the trees (including branches and limbs) were likely on his property. I’m assuming his position will be he could have legally trimmed about 25% of the tree up to the line

gianmarco said:
Yes, there are stakes all up and down the line.  The rest of the foliage he wants to remove is mostly on our side as well.  I told him we don't want anything cut on our side of the stakes.
Take lots of pictures ahead of time.

If he comes with a low ball price, counter with $50 million.  When he looks at you like you're an idiot, say, "OK.  Are we done throwing out ridiculous numbers?  Because my lawyer says I can probably take you for about 50 grand.  But I don't want to get lawyers involved.  I want us to not be enemies.  So let's maybe come to an agreement on a number lower than what my lawyer wants.  Say, 25 grand?"  Then let him squirm.  Right now he's trying to put the pressure on you to be the bad guy and name a high price.  Make you seem like the bad guy.  Turn it around on him.  Because something tells me he doesn't care if you two are good friends for the rest of the time you guys live next to each other.  

BassNBrew said:
Based on what you said it doesn’t matter. That said if you extended two lines from the center point of the trunk to the two edges that are on the property line roughly 25% of the trees (including branches and limbs) were likely on his property. I’m assuming his position will be he could have legally trimmed about 25% of the tree up to the line
I believe he said earlier that if a tree falls on the line, both parties own it and anything done to the tree has to be agreed upon by both owners.  One owner cant cut down their side of the tree or make any changes to their side without consent of the other owner.

BassNBrew said:
I believe he said earlier that if a tree falls on the line, both parties own it and anything done to the tree has to be agreed upon by both owners.  One owner cant cut down their side of the tree or make any changes to their side without consent of the other owner.
May be different in other states but in my state even if the tree is 100% on my property, the neighbor can trim any branches that overhang their property.

May be different in other states but in my state even if the tree is 100% on my property, the neighbor can trim any branches that overhang their property.
You might be right, GB.  Honestly, I was just repeating what was mentioned earlier on in this thread.  I have no first hand knowledge on this subject matter.  But I know that when the threads move fast like this one, things can get missed.  So I was just passing along that bit of info that was mentioned.

Yes, they can trim any branches on their side. Of course, with this tree, those branches would have been 30+ feet high, but sure. 

It doesn't even have to be pretty. But you can't cross the property line and you can't harm the tree as a result where it becomes sick and dies from your actions.

If he comes with a low ball price, counter with $50 million.  When he looks at you like you're an idiot, say, "OK.  Are we done throwing out ridiculous numbers?  Because my lawyer says I can probably take you for about 50 grand.  But I don't want to get lawyers involved.  I want us to not be enemies.  So let's maybe come to an agreement on a number lower than what my lawyer wants.  Say, 25 grand?"  Then let him squirm.  Right now he's trying to put the pressure on you to be the bad guy and name a high price.  Make you seem like the bad guy.  Turn it around on him.  Because something tells me he doesn't care if you two are good friends for the rest of the time you guys live next to each other.  
Impossible to believe they end up as friends at this point. But who wants to befriend that jerk? 

Impossible to believe they end up as friends at this point. But who wants to befriend that jerk? 
Close to 0% chance of it happening.  Not that I won't be friendly, but he just doesn't seem like the type I'll be chumming it up with.

On the flipside, my neighbor on my other side is the nicest guy.  Older gentleman and we were chatting for about 15 minutes just yesterday talking about his wife's recent trip, our trip, and whatnot.  Always a friendly wave when we see each other since we moved in and I can't see ever having any issues with him.  That dude would never take down my tree.  That said, that unknown animal came from his side, so who knows what kind of stuff he's otherwise planning..... 

For @wilked

Now that some of the stuff has been cleared out, here's a picture of the area.

That's the front corner of our house.  Those 2 trees to the left are both mine.  That smaller tree is about 30 feet tall, for scale.  The tree that came down was almost identical to the taller one you see and occupied that clear space you see between that tree and the trees you see further behind.  If it was still standing, you wouldn't see sky in between that area.  It was in the same general line as that taller tree you see, which is only a couple feet inside our property line.  In fact, you can see a couple stumps next to it that were on his side that he took down.  I'll also mention that it was just outside our only bedroom window on that side, providing some privacy.  That's now gone.

Of note, those tall trees further back are on his side and I believe are also marked to come down.  The entire landscape of what we bought is going to look very different.  I can't tell him what to do with his trees, but this is not a small change to what we bought into.

For @wilked

Now that some of the stuff has been cleared out, here's a picture of the area.

That's the front corner of our house.  Those 2 trees to the left are both mine.  That smaller tree is about 30 feet tall, for scale.  The tree that came down was almost identical to the taller one you see and occupied that clear space you see between that tree and the trees you see further behind.  If it was still standing, you wouldn't see sky in between that area.  It was in the same general line as that taller tree you see, which is only a couple feet inside our property line.  In fact, you can see a couple stumps next to it that were on his side that he took down.  I'll also mention that it was just outside our only bedroom window on that side, providing some privacy.  That's now gone.

Of note, those tall trees further back are on his side and I believe are also marked to come down.  The entire landscape of what we bought is going to look very different.  I can't tell him what to do with his trees, but this is not a small change to what we bought into.
Ya, I can see what you're getting at.  Very different than I pictured.  You're right - changes the dynamics of your yard quite a bit (the whole thing, not just the tree, but the tree obv helped to preserve what dynamic you had).

I've come around - clear need for compensation.  

This is probably a guaranteed way of making an enemy of your neighbor.   

Yes, they can trim any branches on their side. Of course, with this tree, those branches would have been 30+ feet high, but sure. 

It doesn't even have to be pretty. But you can't cross the property line and you can't harm the tree as a result where it becomes sick and dies from your actions.
That's not always true, and depends on your state.  In some states, you could cut off all of the roots on your side even if it kills the tree.

Great thread. I don't see this ending well for him. Can we start taking guesses on what we think he's going to offer?

I'm guessing that he doesn't see this as nearly the big deal that you (rightfully so) do, and probably figures the worst that will happen is that he will end up with an unhappy neighbor. I mean, he already had to pay someone to cut down the tree, I doubt he's expecting to now spend more money to compensate you for it.

My guess is that he never replies to you at all. After a week or so of you badgering him, he offers a sincere apologize and promises some "free construction services the next time you have a project going on". I also predict his head is going to explode when you counter with $15K. 

:popcorn:

Great thread. I don't see this ending well for him. Can we start taking guesses on what we think he's going to offer?

I'm guessing that he doesn't see this as nearly the big deal that you (rightfully so) do, and probably figures the worst that will happen is that he will end up with an unhappy neighbor. I mean, he already had to pay someone to cut down the tree, I doubt he's expecting to now spend more money to compensate you for it.

My guess is that he never replies to you at all. After a week or so of you badgering him, he offers a sincere apologize and promises some "free construction services the next time you have a project going on". I also predict his head is going to explode when you counter with $15K. 

:popcorn:
Yep, I'm seeing this the same way.

Now that things have calmed down a bit and was able to talk to the wife about it, we decided that a couple evergreens in that area would actually be better.  First of all, our air conditioning units are there, so decreasing leaves falling in that area isn't a bad thing.  Second, we are both fans of spruce trees and that would be a great spot to put them.  It'll keep in line with his idea of some evergreens for his landscaping that he mentioned and will stay full and green all year and work better for privacy anyway.  Finally, they have larger trees for them available and they grow much faster.

The same company that had the largest hardwood trees (oak or maple) has 25-30 foot Norway Spruce available.  At $4750 per tree with planting, a couple of those would be sufficient to call it a day.  Instant privacy and mature trees to fill in that area.  It won't be the same as before, but I'd be quite happy with that and may turn out to be a better situation in the end.  I'll even consider just asking for them outright if he asks me again next week what I'd like to have done.  If he balks, then we'll be going for 3 of them.

Now that things have calmed down a bit and was able to talk to the wife about it, we decided that a couple evergreens in that area would actually be better.  First of all, our air conditioning units are there, so decreasing leaves falling in that area isn't a bad thing.  Second, we are both fans of spruce trees and that would be a great spot to put them.  It'll keep in line with his idea of some evergreens for his landscaping that he mentioned and will stay full and green all year and work better for privacy anyway.  Finally, they have larger trees for them available and they grow much faster.

The same company that had the largest hardwood trees (oak or maple) has 25-30 foot Norway Spruce available.  At $4750 per tree with planting, a couple of those would be sufficient to call it a day.  Instant privacy and mature trees to fill in that area.  It won't be the same as before, but I'd be quite happy with that and may turn out to be a better situation in the end.  I'll even consider just asking for them outright if he asks me again next week what I'd like to have done.  If he balks, then we'll be going for 3 of them.
I'm not a lawyer but maybe one could answer this:  If gian asks for something, like one tree, and the guy says no.  If this were to go to court, and gian is now asking for three, would that look bad?  Just wondering if there's a downside for him asking for less, but then later asking for more?

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I'm not a lawyer but maybe one could answer this:  If gian asks for something, like one tree, and the guy says no.  If this were to go to court, and gian is now asking for three, would that look bad?  Just wondering if there's a downside for him asking for less, but then later asking for more?
I would think it would be a matter of trying to keep it out of the courts.  I would probably preface my request with something along the lines of  "even though legally I'm entitled to more, if you plant 2 of these, we'd be satisfied with this as a replacement and think this is reasonable."

Same as if someone damaged my car and I asked for $500 and call it a day, if they refuse, I'm pretty sure I can then take it in to get fixed and seek whatever amount it cost, even if more than $500.

If you do this, please for the love of God present it to him like this:

"We would like two......... shrubbery's! Place one slightly higher so you get the two-level effect with a little path running down the middle!"

In most states there are rules of evidence that exclude settlement discussions from being admissible.   Depending on the state, there may be magic language that you need to use in order to ensure that the discussions are protected.

I would think it would be a matter of trying to keep it out of the courts.  I would probably preface my request with something along the lines of  "even though legally I'm entitled to more, if you plant 2 of these, we'd be satisfied with this as a replacement and think this is reasonable."

Same as if someone damaged my car and I asked for $500 and call it a day, if they refuse, I'm pretty sure I can then take it in to get fixed and seek whatever amount it cost, even if more than $500.
How about that and he makes you a huge dining room table out of the hickory that seats 12?

I’d put the over/under at $1,500 for neighbors first offer. And he’ll hem and haw about going above and beyond what’s required as if doing you a favor. 

You should plant some of that rapidly growing bamboo over there. That stuff will spread like wildfire.

He'll wish he had acorns.  :lol:
My parents had bamboo in their backyard before they re-did the whole thing.  They had to over-excavate a LOT to get that crap out.

Users who are viewing this thread