What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor cut down our tree (1 Viewer)

For @wilked

Now that some of the stuff has been cleared out, here's a picture of the area.

That's the front corner of our house.  Those 2 trees to the left are both mine.  That smaller tree is about 30 feet tall, for scale.  The tree that came down was almost identical to the taller one you see and occupied that clear space you see between that tree and the trees you see further behind.  If it was still standing, you wouldn't see sky in between that area.  It was in the same general line as that taller tree you see, which is only a couple feet inside our property line.  In fact, you can see a couple stumps next to it that were on his side that he took down.  I'll also mention that it was just outside our only bedroom window on that side, providing some privacy.  That's now gone.

Of note, those tall trees further back are on his side and I believe are also marked to come down.  The entire landscape of what we bought is going to look very different.  I can't tell him what to do with his trees, but this is not a small change to what we bought into.
Btw, this is what the area used to look like.

This is from the other side looking toward our house.  All of those trees you see in the middle of the picture are gone except for the 1 that is left on our side (picture in my post above).

It really is sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Ned
Okay I can't take this anymore. Gianmarco, I am your neighbor.

I'm not going to lie when I first saw you my first thought was you look like a doormat and I assumed you would just take me cutting down your tree without giving me any lip. I've been monitoring this thread and if you think you are getting more then 2k for this you are delusional lol. 

You relaize who my lawyer is right? And if you want to handle this man vs man I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

You think you can get away with saying that stuff to me over the Internet? Think again.

If only you could have known your little “clever” comments were being seen by me, maybe you would have held your tongue.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price.

I generally try to keep good relations with neighbors at all costs.  But this guy is really pushing the limits of that.  If it were an accident, maybe.  But you have way too much proof that guy is just a tool.  People like that tend to be bad neighbors no matter what.

I'm not going to lie when I first saw you my first thought was you look like a doormat and I assumed you would just take me cutting down your tree without giving me any lip. I've been monitoring this thread and if you think you are getting more then 2k for this you are delusional lol. 

You relaize who my lawyer is right? And if you want to handle this man vs man I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces.

You think you can get away with saying that stuff to me over the Internet? Think again.

If only you could have known your little “clever” comments were being seen by me, maybe you would have held your tongue.

:mellow:

Yep, I'm seeing this the same way.

Now that things have calmed down a bit and was able to talk to the wife about it, we decided that a couple evergreens in that area would actually be better.  First of all, our air conditioning units are there, so decreasing leaves falling in that area isn't a bad thing.  Second, we are both fans of spruce trees and that would be a great spot to put them.  It'll keep in line with his idea of some evergreens for his landscaping that he mentioned and will stay full and green all year and work better for privacy anyway.  Finally, they have larger trees for them available and they grow much faster.

The same company that had the largest hardwood trees (oak or maple) has 25-30 foot Norway Spruce available.  At $4750 per tree with planting, a couple of those would be sufficient to call it a day.  Instant privacy and mature trees to fill in that area.  It won't be the same as before, but I'd be quite happy with that and may turn out to be a better situation in the end.  I'll even consider just asking for them outright if he asks me again next week what I'd like to have done.  If he balks, then we'll be going for 3 of them.
Keep it mind  - for the massive amounts of construction this company does, he will be able to get those trees WAY cheaper. I'd push for the 3 trees. Would probably cost him about the same as the two you priced at retail.

All that and you don't know what a f****** acorn is

Yep, I'm seeing this the same way.

Now that things have calmed down a bit and was able to talk to the wife about it, we decided that a couple evergreens in that area would actually be better.  First of all, our air conditioning units are there, so decreasing leaves falling in that area isn't a bad thing.  Second, we are both fans of spruce trees and that would be a great spot to put them.  It'll keep in line with his idea of some evergreens for his landscaping that he mentioned and will stay full and green all year and work better for privacy anyway.  Finally, they have larger trees for them available and they grow much faster.

The same company that had the largest hardwood trees (oak or maple) has 25-30 foot Norway Spruce available.  At $4750 per tree with planting, a couple of those would be sufficient to call it a day.  Instant privacy and mature trees to fill in that area.  It won't be the same as before, but I'd be quite happy with that and may turn out to be a better situation in the end.  I'll even consider just asking for them outright if he asks me again next week what I'd like to have done.  If he balks, then we'll be going for 3 of them.
Ask for trees that produce ginormous pine cones.

Ask for trees that produce ginormous pine cones.

Keep it mind  - for the massive amounts of construction this company does, he will be able to get those trees WAY cheaper. I'd push for the 3 trees. Would probably cost him about the same as the two you priced at retail.
As fun as it might be to be a #### back to him, that's really not my intention.  What he did was ####ty but I don't need to return the favor fully.

From my standpoint, a couple of those spruces would make me happy.  I won't try to escalate things unless he brings me there.

As fun as it might be to be a #### back to him, that's really not my intention.  What he did was ####ty but I don't need to return the favor fully.

From my standpoint, a couple of those spruces would make me happy.  I won't try to escalate things unless he brings me there.
In all seriousness you are handling this the right way. Let's just hope he gives you a good offer from the start..

I was joking. What I'd really do is get a couple estimates (including one from the arborist who warned him) what it costs to replace a similar tree, copy something showing you're entitled up to triple damages under the law, and pick a number that's roughly half that amount. Don't get him to arrange anything other than a cashier's check. You want to minimize your interactions with this dude henceforth.

Sorry, I got to this thread late, what is the reason for alpha neighbor removing the tree?  I read acorns, but that's not the real reason.  Roots near foundation, blocking sun?

Another vote here for  neighbor went ahead and did it anyways and he is 100% lying to you.  This guy was never going to invite you over for a BBQ.  

Potential 2020 schtick is to overwhelm him with kindness.  Invite their family over to BBQ, trespass on his jobsites sending him 50 pictures a day, fly drones over his backyard and tell him you for some awesome Aerials of his master bedroom window.

The guy sounds wealthy, and he sounds like a jerk; he cut down the tree because that's what he wanted, he didn't care about the consequences or what it would cost. Clearly, money is neither a concern nor a deterrent to him.

He will undoubtedly lowball you. Instead, you should get the full amount possible from him. Not because you can, but because that's what he deserves.

xulf said:
Over/under on his offer?

I'm guessing something obscenely low.  Like $750.
Yup.

I'm thinking he mentions the 25% thing again, says he was thinking $750 as his portion but offers the "full" $1000 as a show of good faith or something.

I've only had to use tree professionals one time so far, but I'm pretty sure the guy I used would tell me to find someone else if I wanted to cut down a good healthy tree like that just because there were too many "acorns."  (sorry, belljr... quotes make it okay, though, right?)

10 pages about a tree pretty near a property line? I read the first and last pages only here. Probably won’t read the rest unless someone suggests it’s necessary. 

A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago,  but the tree was clearly on the property line. I would’ve rather left it, but what are you going to do? Seems like a lot of work to get angry over it, and it’s not coming back. 

10 pages about a tree pretty near a property line? I read the first and last pages only here. Probably won’t read the rest unless someone suggests it’s necessary. 

A similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago,  but the tree was clearly on the property line. I would’ve rather left it, but what are you going to do? Seems like a lot of work to get angry over it, and it’s not coming back. 
He can potentially get $15k-$20k based on the laws in his area.  Seems like something worth investiagting... plus, he loved the tree and the dude who cut it down likely did it knowing it was against the law.

At this point, the thread has turned to what charity the entirety of the funds should go to.

He can potentially get $15k-$20k based on the laws in his area.  Seems like something worth investiagting... plus, he loved the tree and the dude who cut it down likely did it knowing it was against the law.

At this point, the thread has turned to what charity the entirety of the funds should go to.
Loved? I guess this thread must have taken some dramatic turns from the OP. I'm not saying he should shrug off anything, but this all seems a bit hyperbolic to me. Carry on, I guess.

Loved? I guess this thread must have taken some dramatic turns from the OP. I'm not saying he should shrug off anything, but this all seems a bit hyperbolic to me. Carry on, I guess.
I don't think anyone would characterize gianmarco's initial posting as arbor amorous, but with reflection on the neighbor's actions and review of timber trespass statutes, he's cultivated a woody wistfulness. 

If this neighbor is so inconsiderate, is there any chance you just move?  Seems unlikely this will be the only time he pulls a dbag move.  This may end up just being the first of many things.

For those of you saying, well, it's just a tree... come on.

A 50 year old tree is no joke. I'd be pissed as hell if my neighbor accidentally cut down my 50 foot oak tree that has been there since 1967.
I  mean, if I planted it with my family or some ####, sure.  Otherwise - it's a tree.  

KarmaPolice said:
I  mean, if I planted it with my family or some ####, sure.  Otherwise - it's a tree.  
What about if you already had a conversation with the person and told him not touch it because you’re pretty sure it’s on your property? 

That has nothing to do with it just being a tree. 
That’s the point. Although I can’t speak for the OP, my interpretation of this thread is that it’s not about the tree. It’s more about the steps the neighbor took prior to cutting down the tree. Whether it’s something as “insignificant” as a tree, the neighbor was completely out of line. 

Users who are viewing this thread