What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gerrymandered (1 Viewer)

Also, is it all possible that people actually wanted to vote republican, rather than every state being won through gerrymandering?

Oh shoot....I just saw it was published by Vox

Last edited by a moderator:
Democrats do this too of course.
Yes they do and it's wrong there as well IMO. The Republicans have control over more state legislatures and have done a masterful job of manipulation at a nationwide level. Watch the video. Really well done.

Democrats do this too of course.
When you say things like this, you might give the erroneous impression to those who don't follow politics as closely as you do that there is some kind of equivalency between the amount of GOP gerrymandering and the amount of Dem gerrymandering. So let's not give those impressionable people, who are hugely influenced by a poster of your thoughtfulness, the wrong, uh, impression.

The major difference here as well is how Republicans have been able to hold onto power even through the changing demographics of the voting public.  

This is a big issue in WI.  Former Gov. Walker even admitted to stacking the deck for the GOP.  IIRC, his reasoning was that it was needed to give rural areas more of a say since they cover more territory.  And that it wasn't fair that Madison and Milwaukee would drown out all the rural votes.

I'm very much against it.  GOP or Dems doing it is an attack on democracy.  WI Fair Maps Coalition

When you say things like this, you might give the erroneous impression to those who don't follow politics as closely as you do that there is some kind of equivalency between the amount of GOP gerrymandering and the amount of Dem gerrymandering. So let's not give those impressionable people, who are hugely influenced by a poster of your thoughtfulness, the wrong, uh, impression.
:potkettle:

Just horrible.

And completely expected from a particular American political party.  No need to sugar coat it.
So you don't expect it from the party that purged 500k progressive voters from the rolls before the NY primary, held an early voice vote and locked the doors in the NV primary, then closed down polling stations in low income areas for the AZ primary?

It's comical to me that those of the "do no wrong" party really believe they wouldn't rig the system in the same manner.   Give me a break.

And to me, this seems like petty crying and whining.  Again, it seems like the democratic party just cannot accept the fact that there are actually people who do not vote democratic.  And instead, the republican party has to somehow steal the thing.   You know, that darn electoral college and everything.

The republican party put up almost a joke of a candidate in Donald Trump and WON......and the democrats still are blaming everything and everyone else, instead of realizing that maybe there are actually people, a lot of people, that do not want to vote for their party.

Jill Stein!!  Russia!!  Bots!!!

And to me, this seems like petty crying and whining.  Again, it seems like the democratic party just cannot accept the fact that there are actually people who do not vote democratic.  And instead, the republican party has to somehow steal the thing.   You know, that darn electoral college and everything.
I say make voting mandatory, even if it is to go and cast an empty ballot.  100% participation.   I want all voices heard.

BTW, I AM LIBERAL EVEN FOR A LIBERAL

It's comical to me that those of the "do no wrong" party really believe they wouldn't rig the system in the same manner.   Give me a break.

The republican party put up almost a joke of a candidate in Donald Trump and WON......and the democrats still are blaming everything and everyone else, instead of realizing that maybe there are actually people, a lot of people, that do not want to vote for their party.

I want to vote vote for the party.  The problem is the corruption that controls the party.

Its not "do no wrong"...its just the current environment clearly has been showing the GOP is in the wrong the majority of the time.

The GOP has been busted on many election issues including gerrymandering and suppressing the vote.  

People aren't blaming everything and everyone else for Trump...they are pointing out the flaws in the system.  And the only way to fix said flaws are to keep exposing them.

Its not "do no wrong"...its just the current environment clearly has been showing the GOP is in the wrong the majority of the time.

The GOP has been busted on many election issues including gerrymandering and suppressing the vote.  

People aren't blaming everything and everyone else for Trump...they are pointing out the flaws in the system.  And the only way to fix said flaws are to keep exposing them.
1) yes I know it was extreme for me to say that.  But trying to say the democrats wouldn't do the same thing is poppycock

2) Democrats do it too

3) Yes they are,

1) yes I know it was extreme for me to say that.  But trying to say the democrats wouldn't do the same thing is poppycock

2) Democrats do it too

3) Yes they are,
1.  Is anyone saying they wouldn't?

2.  Nobody is saying otherwise (other than supressing the vote and being busted for that).  What is being said is the GOP has been far more guilty recently and the complaints are valid.

3.  I disagree.

1.  Is anyone saying they wouldn't?

2.  Nobody is saying otherwise (other than supressing the vote and being busted for that).  What is being said is the GOP has been far more guilty recently and the complaints are valid.

3.  I disagree.
I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.  Thanks

Suppressing the vote?  DNC purged its own voters to tilt the primaries.

While I don’t agree with how the DNC was in the tank for Hillary in 2016 you MUST see the difference between a private party primary process and the actual public voting system right?

What the DNC did in 2016...while tilted to Hillary...was in a primary where they set the rules.

How many courts now have ruled against GOP tactics involving elections?  Georgia?  North Carolina?

So you don't expect it from the party that purged 500k progressive voters from the rolls before the NY primary, held an early voice vote and locked the doors in the NV primary, then closed down polling stations in low income areas for the AZ primary?
Wow, this is like 4 examples of fake news in a single post.

1. it wasn't "500,000 progressive voters", it was between 117,000 and 200,000 voters from all sorts of groups (progressive, mainstream, Republican, et. al), of which approximately 30,000 were still able to vote via provisional ballot (link). And the purging happened at the same rate in districts won by both Clinton and Sanders. Also, Hillary won New York by 313K votes.

2. the Nevada claims were rated False by Politifact.

3. the Arizona voting sites were shut down by the Republicans who control Arizona's elections department.

Did you even watch the video? There are many examples of states where the overall vote totals favored Democrats but because of rigged gerrymandering the Republicans held and continue to hold power. That is undemocratic. And yes, the Dems have done it too, just in alot fewer cases. Doesn't make it right there either. 

Did you even watch the video? There are many examples of states where the overall vote totals favored Democrats but because of rigged gerrymandering the Republicans held and continue to hold power. That is undemocratic. And yes, the Dems have done it too, just in alot fewer cases. Doesn't make it right there either. 
Its absolutely positively not undemocratic.  It;'s allowed under our system of laws.  I just see this as whining. The dems can't hold power, then whine about how the republicans use the laws to their advantage more than the democrats.  Win more.  

Its absolutely positively not undemocratic.  It;'s allowed under our system of laws.  I just see this as whining. The dems can't hold power, then whine about how the republicans use the laws to their advantage more than the democrats.  Win more.  
Just because something is legal doesn't make it ethical or right. 

Just because something is legal doesn't make it ethical or right. 
My point really wasn't on the morality of it.  It was more how the democrats do it too.  And then cry like babies when the other side does it.  If the democrats were in power they would be cooking the books too..And anyone that says otherwise is being untruthful.

Sorry if addressed already, I skimmed only...

What, if any, solutions are there for this?  Is this any other method of representation distribution that might work better than method?

My point really wasn't on the morality of it.  It was more how the democrats do it too.  And then cry like babies when the other side does it.  If the democrats were in power they would be cooking the books too..And anyone that says otherwise is being untruthful.
I agree mostly.  Question for you though:  Would you support a federal law that would require all states to divide the districts in a non-partisan way?

Sorry if addressed already, I skimmed only...

What, if any, solutions are there for this?  Is this any other method of representation distribution that might work better than method?
Yes some states have empowered independent commissions to draw the lines based on only non-partisan factors.

I agree mostly.  Question for you though:  Would you support a federal law that would require all states to divide the districts in a non-partisan way?
Depending on how the law was written etc..Yeah I don't have a huge issue with that.  Defining non-partisan would be near impossible however

Depending on how the law was written etc..Yeah I don't have a huge issue with that.  Defining non-partisan would be near impossible however
Not that difficult. You simply don't look at any demographics, especially voting history. Draw lines based on population only.

Really?  Thanks
I'm serious. I imagine there is sufficient technology nowadays to have a computer draw lines with no bias. Obviously the programming and usage would have to be audited closely by a bipartisan panel with complete transparency to the public.

There are a few different sites with ways to redistrict fairly. Google redistricting up to see what you can find. It’s pretty simple to do and in some ways the most some districts may be 60/40. Definitely not a sure party victory but better than what it is. 
And, if America can have a Progressive ten years... I’m pretty sure the world will be a much better place, as well a our country, by 2030. 

There are a few different sites with ways to redistrict fairly. Google redistricting up to see what you can find. It’s pretty simple to do and in some ways the most some districts may be 60/40. Definitely not a sure party victory but better than what it is. 
And, if America can have a Progressive ten years... I’m pretty sure the world will be a much better place, as well a our country, by 2030. 
Guys....Neither party is remotely interested in "redistricting fairly"    

Guys....Neither party is remotely interested in "redistricting fairly"    
I’m curious if you’ve checked polls where party affiliation doesn’t matter and what Americans want done, what’s important to them, and what they see the future of America. Spoiler alert but the majority by a long shot want more Progressive standards. If Republicans didn’t scare voters or keep our government stalled during the Obama years, America would be much better off today. 
If your contention is to not change anything because “both sides,” well, America is much more Progressive than not. 

Users who are viewing this thread