What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mohamed Sanu traded to Patriots (1 Viewer)

He looked pretty darn good tonight. After bye the pats play a lineup of teams that will definitely score points.... Sanu could get plenty of action. 

I don't understand why the Pats didn't give the 2nd for Sanders. MUCH better fit, IMO. HE could've been AB "light" in that offense.

Long-term, I believe Sanders would've been a better fit, as well. Both Harry & Meyers are similar to Sanu. Sanders & Harry outside with Edelman in the slot would be nice at least through 2020.

I realize Sanu will be productive, but he's only a couple years younger than Sanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why the Pats didn't give the 2nd for Sanders. MUCH better fit, IMO. Sanders could've been "AB light" in that offense.

Long-term, I believe Sanders would've been a better fit, as well. Both Harry & Meyers are similar to Sanu. Sanders & Harry outside with Edelman in the slot would be nice at least through 2020.

I realize Sanu will be productive, but he's only a couple years younger than Sanders.
Because they get Sanu for next year on relatively cheap dollars and Sanders could walk after this year. And people need to forget about how players did on any other team not named NE. The Pats can and will use someone differently than they did elsewhere. Wes Welker had 67-687-1 playing in MIA the year before the Patriots traded for him. 

I somewhat disagree that NE needed another outside receiver. NE hasn't really used guys on deep routes, as Brady doesn't typically get time for plays to develop. I think the plan is to get Edelman more looks lining up outside and have him get fewer routes out of the slot and away from the middle of the field. If Harry can be an outside option, then they have Edelman and Harry with Sanu in the slot (and Meyers on 4 receiver sets). Their bigger issue was OL help and/or TE help.

Because they get Sanu for next year on relatively cheap dollars and Sanders could walk after this year. And people need to forget about how players did on any other team not named NE. The Pats can and will use someone differently than they did elsewhere. Wes Welker had 67-687-1 playing in MIA the year before the Patriots traded for him. 

I somewhat disagree that NE needed another outside receiver. NE hasn't really used guys on deep routes, as Brady doesn't typically get time for plays to develop. I think the plan is to get Edelman more looks lining up outside and have him get fewer routes out of the slot and away from the middle of the field. If Harry can be an outside option, then they have Edelman and Harry with Sanu in the slot (and Meyers on 4 receiver sets). Their bigger issue was OL help and/or TE help.
I think Sanders would've be a pretty easy sign, but regardless, Sanu is a FA the year after.

I believe Sanders would've been as good a fit as you could get save AB as far as the combination of impact this season & the immediate future.

I agree they do need help elsewhere, but Sanders would've been a big acquisition, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sanders would've be a pretty easy sign, but regardless, Sanu is a FA the year after.

I believe Sanders would've been as good a fit as you could get save AB as far as the combination of impact this season & the immediate future.

I agree they do need help elsewhere, but Sanders would've been a big acquisition, IMO.
For starters, they didn't have the cap room. They didn't have enough for Sanu, either, and had to redo the deal with Shaq Mason to get Sanu under the cap. IIRC, they took on $1.7 million of salary / cap space for Sanu but would have needed $3 million for Sanders. We'll have to see what happens moving forward contract wise, but Sanders was getting an average of $11 million a year while Sanu is on a $6.5 million a year deal. 

What can we expect of Sanu this season?
He should be the Patriots WR3 on a team with what will likely be a below average offense, with limited passing totals, and probably a run-oriented attack. So far in camp, he has said to have been blending in and not standing out. There have been multiple articles about how he spent the offseason concentrating on training and diet. Since he was added during the season last year (and later needed ankle surgery), he did not get a ton of reps in practice with Stidham. So as of now, he hasn't built much chemistry with either Stidham or Newton. N'Keal missed practice most of the last week, so maybe that helps Sanu (if Harry suffered an injury), but I don't see Sanu emerging as a big fantasy producer on his 3rd team at age 31 on a team in transition. In a 12-team fantasy league, he's probably a so-so WR5.

Users who are viewing this thread