What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Republicans and Independents Just Had Their Primary Choices Taken Away (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
Minnesota is an open primary system, which means Republicans and Independents vote to see who gets the nomination (I guess technically some Democrats could - but you can only vote in one primary.)

Today, the Minnesota Republican Party submitted its primary ballot, with only Donald Trump on it - none of the challengers, and no write in space - two months before the deadline to file for candidates for its primary (the deadline is December 31.)  This is after Republican parties in South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, and Kansas all voted to scrap their primaries altogether

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-republican-party-leaves-trump-challengers-off-presidential-primary-ballot/564160782/

The Minnesota Republican Party has just told everyone they have no right to vote for anyone but Donald Trump in its primary, despite the fact that there are existing challengers.  I have to assume that's going to upset some people.

I'd like to see a Trump Supporter defend a ballot with only one name on it and no space for a write-in candidate.

So...question...in these states where they are saying Trump is the ONLY GOP option...what happens if the inquiry goes longer than they thought and gets into primary voting periods and some huge bombshell were to hit and by some sort of miracle, the GOP in the Senate does their civic duty and removes him from office.  What happens in the states where Trump's the only person on the ballot?

Huh. I caucused a few years back in favor of Romney, pushing back against a few people in the room who were for that nut job Huckabee. Romney won the state back then! If I were a Republican, I'd be extremely pissed about this. Oh well, they made their bed so screw 'em.

So...question...in these states where they are saying Trump is the ONLY GOP option...what happens if the inquiry goes longer than they thought and gets into primary voting periods and some huge bombshell were to hit and by some sort of miracle, the GOP in the Senate does their civic duty and removes him from office.  What happens in the states where Trump's the only person on the ballot?
I'm sure that the GOP has rules which address the death or resignation of a candidate. The delegates would likely be able to change their votes at the convention.

Plus, the GOP could decide at any time to change their procedures and just eliminate primaries altogether.

Minnesota is an open primary system, which means Republicans and Independents vote to see who gets the nomination (I guess technically some Democrats could - but you can only vote in one primary.)
I think it is a realistic scenario and maybe what they are afraid of. One factor attributed to Sanders big Primary win in Michigan was Ds voting for Trump to "help" Clinton.

No argument from me.
Though I don't believe in open primaries even though it means I can't vote. If you want to influence the party, join the party.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose one could argue that it’s a moneysaver. We know who the winner is going to be so why are we wasting time and money? 

At least that’s about the only semi-reasonable argument I can offer. 

When I was in Minnesota there were no Democrats and Republicans, thee were members of the DFL, the Democratic Farmers and Laborers, and there were Independent Republicans, and those 'sotans would tell you as much if you got it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread