What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (1 Viewer)

Adding song links:

Rd 14 - Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be (2010)

Reverb-heavy girl group-inspired act that had a following here at the beginning of the decade (I discovered them through recs here)

Bhang Bhang, I’m a Burnout

Jail La La

Yours Alone

Rd 15 - Royal Headache - Royal Headache (2012)

Reverb-heavy Faces-inspired act. Lead singer has some pipes.

Girls

Never Again

Really In Love

Rd 16 - The Men - Open Your Heart (2012)

Brooklyn-based protopunk with some Americana flourishes.

Turn it Around

Open Your Heart

Candy

Rd 17 - Action Bronson - Dr. Lecter (2011)

Albanian-American former chef-turned rapper’s debut.

Ronnie Coleman

Buddy Guy

Barry Horowitz

Rd 18 - Public Access Television - Never Enough (2016)

Now-defunct NYC guitar rock band with a new wave sound. According to their wiki page they made their TV debut on Action Bronson’s VICE TV show.

End of an Era

Careful

On Location

Oh sure. i figured that you liked Saadiq. Tony! and Lucy Pearl were stand outs to me back in the day, even.

My link was just in keeping with my talking. I like the sped-up aspect of Saadiq, but in finishing a thought, I guess I need to warn people before they get Geoff Rickly screaming at them. 
Lots to reply to in this thread but have to give a :hifive:  for the TTT reference. Sons of Soul was one of the first CDs I bought.

Rd 18 - Public Access Television - Never Enough (2016)

Now-defunct NYC guitar rock band with a new wave sound. According to their wiki page they made their TV debut on Action Bronson’s VICE TV show.

End of an Era

Careful

On Location
Public Access Television and  CHVRCHES were being played at Planet Fitness today.   Look at me for now knowing something about today’s music.    Not sure Planet Fitness should be introducing me to potentially “good” music.   

I don’t remember the songs but they were both decent  

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright last two picks will be forward looking. Two international indie rock bands with exciting debuts:

Rd 19 - Shame - Songs of Praise (2018)

British post-punk with attitude. The below are all links to music videos but their live shows are worth a watch.

Dust on Trial

Concrete

One Rizla

Rd 20 - The Spielbergs - This is not the End (2019)

Anthemic Norwegian indie rock. I hear Paul Westerberg in the lyrics and the Japandroids in the guitars.

Distant Star

Five On It

4AM

With sadness and to take my mind off Kobe...

Being "the only one" in past drafts, I'm certain enough my instrumental guitar love is safe with you guys. Sincere apology if someone had this on deck.  

I'm listening to it on loop. On a pie chart of my music collection, guitar instrumentals (cuz they play near 24/7 in my office) and classical music (cuz you get several hrs with a click) take the biggest slices. Crossover makes me unsure which is the bigger slice. I've drafted Montgomery, Pass, Segovia, De Lucia, Williams, Bream, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Liebert, Jimi, Carlos, Knopfler, 5, Atkins, Sollscher, Dale, and more without a lyric sung. The pick I'm most attached to is Michael Hedges.  

Current back to back winner of a prestigious guitar player of the year award, Mike Dawes isn't Michael Hedges, but they both occupy the same cosmos with astounding capacities to turn a guitar into a three piece (percussion, bass, lead).  Yeah, scores of guitarists do this, but rarely with such genius. 

"I’ve always loved Michael Hedges’ strummed instrumentals, and 'Encomium' is certainly a response and tribute to his piece, 'Dirge,' and what it represents," Dawes told Guitar World about "Encomium (Reverie)." "I wanted to present another side of the guitar scene. The vibration of the instrument is represented visually by Merrick Winter’s super sleek videography."
2017 Mike Dawes - Era

One yes, "that" One

Enconium (Reverie)

Also in the spirit of self distraction, I give you some 2010 music random shots:

I will be listening to more Kendrick Lamar. Also want to give that Kamasi Washington album at least a once through.

Seems like we drafted less pop than usual, was surprised to see Ms Jepsen fall. There’s an album I debated picking several times because I really liked it at the time but it definitely suffered from oversaturation.

’Alternative’ R&B or ‘PBR&B’ is my genre of the decade. So many truly great albums released with unique takes fusing disparate modern influences.

On the other hand I listened to a lot less hip hop this decade, partially due to having kids and having to keep it PG but also because I don’t get a lot of what’s out there anymore.

I think the 2010s > 2000s, music-wise. Both surpass the 90s (my formative music-listening years).

I like Tame Impala and would have picked the same album at some point.

I listened to a lot more female artists this decade, particularly indie rock artists.

I also need to give Sturgill Simpson another listen. His release this year was not in my wheelhouse but I know it was a big changeup for him.

I like Tame Impala and would have picked the same album at some point.
I've been to three shows including the headliner at Coachella. I like them too and will stow Currents on the boat if nobody wants it. Here's me overthinking the criticism. The overproduction combined with Kevin's androgynous cloying vocals can create listener fatigue if working through an album, which I rarely do. Shuffled in the right mix with other artists the tracks shine.

The highlight at Coachella was Asap stepping in for Sundress. Broke up the monotony.

I also need to give Sturgill Simpson another listen. His release this year was not in my wheelhouse but I know it was a big changeup for him.
I'm searching for ways to say
All the words I can't find

Everybody's trying to be the next someone
But look at me, I'm trying to be the first something

From the last track. I think it sums it up nicely. And I dig it.

eta: when you listen again, do it on netflix with the anime and hopefully surround sound. ;)

We mash up the place
Turn up the bass
And make them all have fun
Skrillex ablaze the fire
Make it burn them

We mash up the place
Turn up the bass
And make some sound boy run
And we will end your week
Just like a Sunday

My 18th round pick of the Wavves got duped and was also slotted in the 19th round, so I'm owed 19 and 20 round picks.  Here's my crack at 19....

19.06 - Broken Bells - Broken Bells - 2010

I was and am a giant fan of The Shins and James Mercer, as mercurial as he may be.  He teamed up with Danger Mouse to release a really solid debut album at the start of this decade.  Mercer's vocals shine through to a bit of a different beat and sound and the result is spectacular.  Highlights:

The Ghost Inside

Trap Doors

The High Road

on behalf of my GBGBM...

20.06 Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two - 2011

A lot of pressure here... do I go with one of my snubs, or with something I am hopeful that GM would love (and fairly certain no one else would have on their top 20).  Well, I went with a snub, and while the album is not ranked that high on my overall top-20 of the decade list, I absolutely need my all time favorite band on my island. A lot of people sleep on the later Beastie Boys albums, but this one is a fun listen. 

Make some Noise

OK

Don't play no game that I can't win

RIP MCA

on behalf of my GBGBM...

20.06 Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two - 2011

A lot of pressure here... do I go with one of my snubs, or with something I am hopeful that GM would love (and fairly certain no one else would have on their top 20).  Well, I went with a snub, and while the album is not ranked that high on my overall top-20 of the decade list, I absolutely need my all time favorite band on my island. A lot of people sleep on the later Beastie Boys albums, but this one is a fun listen. 

Make some Noise

OK

Don't play no game that I can't win

RIP MCA
:hifive:

Perfect.  Thanks GB!

I would have been mad at the internet if that one was not drafted... my remaining snub is more of a flat out surprise that no one took it. 
I have a couple that I almost took several times and assumed would have been taken in the first 5 rounds.

20.xx - Araabmuzik - Electronic Dream (2011)

My last pick.  Most electronic albums don't hold up well past their initial release, but I think this one does.  This is an album that can't decide whether it's an instrumental hip-hop album or a trance album, and the mix works perfectly.  

As with any of my drafts here, I love to post live versions of songs.  That's a bit more difficult to do with today's "press play" EDM world.  That said....Araabmuzik is not a press play EDM producer.  He's known for making his beats on the spot and absolutely killing his MPC drum machine.  If you take nothing else from this post, at least watch a few minutes of this live performance.

"AT2"

"Electronic Dream"

"Feeling So Hood"

bonus track not actually on the album but everyone thinks it is - "Streetz Tonight"

When I clicked on that, youtube had saved my spot 6 minutes into it. I have no idea when I watched 6 minutes of it, but I didn't click away because I didn't like. Nice pick for me anyway. I have a bunch of edm on a list, but I am not sure any of it makes top 20. Currently something in spanish tops that list.
I tried to set it to start like 2:12 in.  Guy is very impressive.

Odds and sods for my wrap-up.

15.x The Tallest Man on Earth, The Wild Hunt (2010)
Burden of Tomorrow

Draft helped me remember how much I loved this.

16.x Bill Callahan, Apocalypse (2011)
Drover

Same as the TMoE pick above. Listened to "Drover" again putting these picks together and was like "oh ####, that's right". Love Callahan's voice and songwriting. There's a stream-of-consciousness feel to it, but in a way that makes perfect sense.

17.x Future Islands, Singles (2014)
Seasons (Waiting on You)

I thank the FFA for introducing me to them. Think it was Marco that took 'em in a previous draft I joined late.

18.x Cloud Nothings, Here and Nowhere Else (2014)
I'm Not Part of Me

Curveball for my island. Glad everyone else left CN well alone after Eeph's early pick.

19.x Hurry, Guided Meditation (2016)
Nothing to Say

Straightforward power pop that's way up my alley.

20.x Adam Torres, Pearls to Swine
High Lonesome

Man, don't know what to say other than that Torres has an amazing voice. 

I think you guys are worn out. I am going make a few very safe picks.

What if Jesus played guitar? That's the idea behind dozens of youtube comments. Estas looks like fictitious depictions of our Lord, and his playing sometimes, maybe, seems almost supernatural. Not really but he's fantastic. Russian. Huge in Eastern Europe, popular throughout the continent. I have a half dozen of his albums in my infinite acoustic guitar loop. Four from the past decade are recorded live. The first of them is my choice.

3. 2011 Estas Tonne - Strings and Stories of a Troubadour, Live in Odeon, Vienna

The Winds Will Bring You Home

That's 12 minutes of romantic Russian guitar

The Song of the Golden Dragon

That's a jaw dropping street performance. If you only watch one... this one. Best comment: "So this is what 2017 years of practicing looks like?"

10% of my island is contemporary acoustic guitar instrumentals. Could easily be 100% and I would struggle with what to pick last.

Jazz. Takes a 20% slice of the pie. I mourn it isn't more. The genre is gonna have to file for bankruptcy someday if things don't change, but the decade was really good, imo. 

Hudson was released in 2017. It had big fans immediately but I wasted a year before listening. It became by far my most listened to jazz, and my top pick for the decade. It's a supergroup formed by DeJohnette including Scofield... a keyboardist (John Medeski) whose been at it since he was teen playing with Jaco... and a heavy lifting double bassist (Larry Grenadier) with a similar history. This is joyful jazz. They have a blast playing together.  I have a blast listening. And Sco, oh my, he's in rare form. It begins with a gently smoothed over homage to #####es Brew and I can't stop smiling until it's over. A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall turns into acid rain. They all over the place here.

Hudson the album

Hudson the homage

Lay Lady Lay

Kamasi Washington is arguably the JazzGuy of the decade. Doing his part to avoid the bankruptcy. Nice to see IL80s pick his 3 hr Epic. It's been described as heroic jazz, Wewhatever that is. Also nice to see that pick because I prefer Heaven and Earth, just two and a half hours of similar but evolved or refined or less heroic. They're both fantastic. 

2018 Heaven and Earth

The Space Traveler's Lullaby just wow

Invincible Youth Thundercat on bass, ooh nice

rockaction said:
Obliged. That was really cool, man.  It was at 2:12. I remember Pharell Williams saying the ME was such fertile ground for musical experimentation.
While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, just for the record Araabmuzik is actually just a Dominican American guy from Providence, RI.

Northern Voice said:
Same idea in terms of decade defining bands and not spotlighting because I'll take one here but have any Bon Iver albums gone?
17.11 - Bon Iver - 22, A Million (2016)

I didn't love this when it first came out, then I dove deeper into him knowing I was going to be seeing him at Bonnaroo and this emerged as my favourite front to back album of his. I like some of the folkier singles maybe a bit better but in terms of whole album, this one has fewer peaks and valleys. I'm not putting the stupid ### symbols in here

22 (Over Soon)

29 (Strafford Apts)

33 (GOD)

Like I'm not going to have something from this band on my album. Sure, it's way too big and overproduced and their lead singer is way over the top, that's the point. I genuinely love this album, I'll call it my third favourite of their catalogue (after Sam's Town/Hot Fuss). Miss Atomic Bomb is a top 5 song they've ever written. Battle Born is probably the most bombastic song they've written (which considering it's the Killers, is really saying something), designed specifically I think to close big arena shows with fireworks and pyro going off all over the place.

18.11 - The Killers - Battle Born (2013)

Miss Atomic Bomb

Battle Born

Runaways

I've gone out of my way to not pick too much from bands that have already been taken - I've got a pretty good list of albums left where a different one from the same artist was posted after the draft. That said, I'm saying screw it for this last pick and picking an album from a band that's already been taken... by me. This is easily in my 20 most listened to albums of the decade and probably #1 from last year if I'm realistic, so how can I just leave it stranded with no island to call it's own. What's funny is even with me taking two albums, the third from the band, which I'm not taking is maybe the most loved from some people here..

20.11 - PUP - Morbid Stuff (2019)

Scorpion Hill

Kids

Bloody Mary, Kate and Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread