What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island "Discs" Draft (2010-2019) - We Did It (2 Viewers)

It's not the album I reach for when I want to listen to LCD Soundsystem but it's a fine record. 

They and The Black Keys are the only artists drafted so far that arguably have better albums released in the previous decade.  NTTAWWT
Yeah, Sound of Silver is by far my favorite LCDSS but This Is Happening damn good.

Album: Sunday Morning Record

Artist: The Band of Heathens

Release Year: 2013

Records In Bed

One More Trip

Girl With Indigo Eyes

This is my second favorite album of the decade. These guys were three singer songwriters that played at the same bar and got together and added some members. This may be a selling point to some or sticking point to others but when I first heard it I was thinking it could have been seventies Neil Young, Graham Parsons or Poco. So while not ground-breaking the sound just pulls me in and I don't want to get away.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the album I reach for when I want to listen to LCD Soundsystem but it's a fine record. 

They and The Black Keys are the only artists drafted so far that arguably have better albums released in the previous decade.  NTTAWWT
Def not my favorite of theirs...after sounds of silver felt like a disappointment tbh. And thought I preferred the recent one until I listened through each recently for this and was surprised how much I liked it. I was expecting it to be gone and had an lcd backup band and record for later just in case. Might still take that one.

2.15 - Don't Explain - Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa (2011)

I'm fan of the Blues, and I love this album.  Beth and Joe have made several albums together, and this is the first one I ever heard, and it remains my favorite of theirs. It's an album of covers, and they are done so well. Joe's great guitar playing, and Beth's voice make magic.  They cover songs that were popular by such artists as Ray Charles, Tom Waits, Bill Withers, Billie Holiday, Etta James,  Bobby Blue Bland, Aretha Franklina, Melody Gardot, etc. Here are some of them:

Sinners Prayer

Aint No Way

Chocolate Jesus

I'll Take Care of You

I'd Rather Go Blind

Don't Explain

Your Heart is as Black as Night

3.01 - Bang Bang Boom Boom - Beth Hart (2012)

I was going to take this later, but I figured I might as well just do a double shot of Beth Hart.  This is one of her solo albums. She wrote or co-wrote all of the songs, plays piano, and guitar. Her songs vary from bluesy to rock to jazz. She is fantastic live. Here are few tunes from the album:

Baddest Blues

Bang Bang Boom Boom

Caught Out in the Rain

Swing My Thing Back Around

Ugliest House on the Block

Better Man

Album: Harlem River Blues

Artist: Justin Townes Earle

Release Year: 2010

Harlem River Blues

Christchurch Woman

One More Night in Brooklyn

Justin is the son of Country Rock veteran Steve Earle. He's less country, slightly less caustic but a better singer and songwriter. He has at least two others I'd consider for this draft but I'm going to try and not double up on any artists I take (variety on the Island and all). The Rolling Stones wrote a love letter to NYC with Some Girls, this album is also built around NYC but paints a bleaker picture where the narrator would probably prefer to find his way out.

I got you, fam.

2.13 Ladytron, Ladytron (2019)

Didn't listen to as much music as I'd have wished in 2019, but this was what I listened to the most. Totally blindsided me. I'm not any kind of Ladytron diehard and it'd been ages since their last album, but I love this one.
It's cool when bands regain/maintain relevance so many year later. With a lot of bands, they only want you when you're seventeen, when you're twenty-one, you're no fun.

Heh. I thought of that tour, actually. That would have been an awesome show, and an awesome day to see the Jays, too. I think I might be too old and creaky for something like that now. Enjoy it while you can. Srsly.

As for the two acts, they did a remix of "Supercut" by Lorde together. It's a pretty good song, IMO, though they sound a bit different and incongruous at times. 
It was a ton of fun. And there was a third artist at the concert as the opening opening act that I'm guessing gets picked at some point in this draft. That day was another one that was just me and the wife doing a day/night out in Toronto. It worked out well in that the Jays got the absolute #### kicked out of them, so we didn't feel bad leaving the game (4 PM start), to get a quick bite and go to the concert.

2... LCD Soundsystem- this is happening (2010)

Still at work, but wants.
The "drop" (that's what the kids call it, right?) in Dance Yrself Clean is one of the best "moments" in any song from this decade IMO.   Also, I think Tasker's wedding song (or a song played at his wedding?) is on this album but I was already pretty drunk when we had that conversation and I may be misremembering :lol:  

Sorry all, working crazy non 40 hour weeks and not able to properly search through my Spotify catch-all playlist started in 2011 or respond much to all these great albums picked- looking forward to listening to the ones I don't know.

I have a bunch that are likely for me, but losing that Courtney Barnett reminded me of somebody similar I want to help set the mood on my sandy paradise...

3... Angel Olsen- Burn your Fire for no Witness (2014)

A lot of my picks will tie into concert experiences. I listen to the album and relive those moments and it's all heightened IMO. 

I saw this band on this tour at a small (by their standards, say 1500 people) venue with looooow ceilings. The crowd was amped and apparently fairly well populated with Brits because empty beer cans were flying all over the place all concert long. It was an experience. 

Aside from that, I think it genuinely is my #1 album of the decade. It's certainly the first that came to mind and I'd wager the one I've played the most. He's one of the best lyricists in the world and everything on this album just sounds so cool

1.10 - Arctic Monkeys - AM

Arabella

Knee Socks

Do I Wanna Know
This is them coming on stage and the first song of the concert I was at, described above. I seriously have chills watching it again.

Mildly surprised this is still on the board.

Another one where I instantly think of a concert. I was able to get absolute front row for these guys because I loved the opening act and most of the crowd didn't really care about him, maybe not the best fit style wise but perfect for me...  Anyway front row was key as I was a bit older for the crowd. Not Eephus aged but mid-30s and the onslaught of bodies started on the first note of the first song and didn't end until they were finished. 

There will be a lot of Canadian bands on my island (spoiler alert) but these two guys who make enough noise for ten people are the most essential 

2.06 - Japandroids - Celebration Rock (2012)

The House That Heaven Built

Younger Us

Evil's Sway
This is my #1 album of the decade ;)

I think either Abrantes is up with his third, or I'm up. Flop went with his third, as did simey, and Abrantes went, but that was his second. I'm not really sure where to go here.

Probably should just pick

3.05 - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West - 2010

Celebrity retrospective closes off and encapsulates the aughts. People, left with what is often considered one of the consensus records of the decade, still debate him and Kim, jewelry, fashion, Amber, clothing lines, Yeezy, you name it. Perhaps celebrity culture is why he falls here. Fair enough. I am no friend of it either.

But I want the over the top hits from this one. Give me Jay, Nicki, Rihanna. It all sounded so coked up when it first came out, I couldn't listen to it. Opon further consideration, it may be my favorite of his.

POWER

All Of The Lights

Monster

and that damn atonal piano in...

Runaway

I am going to skip out of order since I won't be at the computer for a lot of the day.   I am pretty sure this isn't on Tasker's list, so it's probably safe to post.  

My first two picks aside, if I am honest about the bands/albums that I listened to most in the last decade, more than 1/2 at the top would be metal or metalish band - and I couldn't imagine being on this island without being able to listen to Danny Carey drumming.   This one only took 13 years after the last one, and I think it is an amazing natural extension of what they were going with in 10,000 Days, which I kept falling more and more in love with.  Gotta love the 10min+ long jams too.   Easily one of my most played albums from this past year. 

3.08:  Tool - Fear Inoculum (2019)

Invincible

Pneuma

7empest

ETA:  I just read that Danny is pushing 60 too.  :shock:

General Malaise said:
Thanks for the Beth Hart rec, @simey 

Again, another new one for me and I am already in love. 
Thanks for listening to it. I figured when I posted the links for both albums they wouldn't get listened to by many since blues music isn't represented much in these drafts. She is more than just blues though.

Beth Hart huh? I will have to check this out. 
I've heard of about 30% of all the artists listed already and while that's a little embarrassing, it just means my Spotify/Pandora will be getting a bunch of new liked songs for me this year and that is terrific news for me.

Went heavy on White Denim and Parquet Courts the last couple days and had Beth Hart going on my train/walk to the office this morning.  Happy guy today.

Thanks for listening to it. I figured when I posted the links for both albums they wouldn't get listened to by many since blues music isn't represented much in these drafts. She is more than just blues though.
First song that kicked out was a G'nR tune.  Wasn't my thing, so I jumped into her album that you posted "Bang Bang Boom Boom" and yup, that's the good stuff there.  I bet my wife will like this.

Alright, one more predictable one from me. I promise I'll branch out from in your face rock bands at some point but it's not going to be here. These guys almost singlehandedly rekindled my love for pop-punk. The first time I saw them, I'd never heard of them. I was at RiotFest in Toronto and kept hearing about them and they finally got moved to a later timeslot on a larger stage, so I had to go check it out. The next time was the tour for this album in my small town in a club that's only 200 capacity. I couldn't convince any of my friends to come with me and went solo.They missed one of the best shows the city saw all decade. 

I could have taken any of their three albums but this is the one I listen to most often. From the first two songs (which always get played together live and should be available as such on Spotify), to the one about his dead chameleon :(  to the last song of the album which skews a bit more into full blown emo, there's not a bad song on it. The videos are amazing as well, as a group, I'd say they have the best music videos of the 2000s.

Titled for words the singer heard from his doctor regarding his shredded vocal cords and that he couldn't go on singing.

3.10 - PUP - The Dream Is Over (2016)

DVP <- amazing video for 90s video game kids, I've posted it many times before. The DVP (Don Valley Parkway) is the main highway artery in and out of Downtown Toronto that schlub's like me have to take to get to the city.

Sleep in the Heat <- great/sad video with the stranger things kid that's been in a few of their videos

Pine Point

@mphtrilogy on the clock.

Abrantes said:
I got you, fam.

2.13 Ladytron, Ladytron (2019)

Didn't listen to as much music as I'd have wished in 2019, but this was what I listened to the most. Totally blindsided me. I'm not any kind of Ladytron diehard and it'd been ages since their last album, but I love this one.
This is really interesting, Abrantes. I'm part Ladytron it seems, and I love their aughts work a lot. I did like this album -- listened to it back in Oct. or something. Was impressed with it all over again. They were so superior to Le Tigre, even across genres IMO, that I would never have imagined a legendary dance act would come from their ashes or morphed from it, as it were. Anyway, this is a nice surprise to see. I'll have to listen again.  You also spotlighted without realizing it. Whoops. One unnamed to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread