What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are we still working 40 hours a week? (1 Viewer)

lod001

Footballguy
Just because Ford had people working shifts and that ended up 40 hours a week a century ago, doesn't mean it's the optimum. Why are other countries able to shorten the work week and the US doesn't?

By the early 1900s, many industries had adopted the eight-hour workday, but most people were still working six days a week. That continued until 1926 when Henry Ford removed one required day of work from his employees’ schedules.

Ford’s employees had been working 48 hours a week: eight-hour days and six-day weeks. Removing one day resulted in eight-hour shifts for five days a week—what we now know as the 40-hour workweek.

https://www.inc.com/john-brandon/finlands-prime-minister-suggests-a-four-day-work-week-six-hour-days-sign-me-up.html

Sweden has tried a six-hour workday and productivity improved. Microsoft recently announced a successful trial in Japan related to working only four days. The research on this topic suggests that working harder over shorter periods is best because we do optimal work; when we work longer hours, our productivity trails off.

https://20somethingfinance.com/american-hours-worked-productivity-vacation/

So there is some evidence that the 40-hour workweek is too long. It’s not enough to come to a definitive conclusion, but it’s certainly enough evidence for HR professionals to consider the potential benefits of reducing the number of hours in the workweek for their companies.

The article begs the question, why didn’t Microsoft try this in the United States rather than Japan?

The only way for this to ever get traction is for several large companies to do this. It’s almost like McDonald’s having the dollar menu. Other companies have to adjust or they’ll be left behind.

A lot of posters here might be “working” a 40 hour week but they’re not working those 40 hours.  Internet, phones, talking to co-workers....

I agree that productivity would go up with less hours.

LOOK at me. I am an FBG in only 40 hours a week ( or less) ! *

* - just got home 13 hours after I left - I have 40 in already  if you include the couple hours from Sunday and it is the end of Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at you mr. I only work 40 hours a week.  
:goodposting:   We had two people leave 4 months ago and upper management has been taking their sweet time filling the positions..  Been involved in a project that has a deadline of end of January so 50 hours has been a short week , with some Saturday's thrown in.. Yea, me.. 

I worked 4 hours total over the last 2 weeks and this week I’m back to m-f and I couldn’t be happier. I drank way too much and spent way too much money, I have no self control so I need work to keep me from myself :shrug:

About 35 hours a week for me. I shave off some time on work from home days to take my kid back and forth from school, take her to the park, go food shopping etc. 

But I just started a new job so I’m trying to impress the team right now.  Give it another month and I won’t even bother tapping that computer 

35 hour work week. 23 holiday's, half day Friday's all summer, up to 15 vacation days per year now, I think I am finally nearing my max on personal days - 70 or 80some. I usually get in a little after 8, take a long lunch to exercise, then home before 5. Can anticipate 2-3 weeks per year in which I know I will need to work more then there's probably 1-2 days per month when I could leave on time but choose not to because I want to finish what I'm doing. Like any job there are cons, but it isn't a bad gig.

I was working 35ish* hour weeks but took a different job for a better work/life balance...

I think a 6 hour work day is about perfect, and maybe 4 days a week. 😃 Working too much is for the birds.  

*paid on commission at that time, so hours weren't exactly set.

A work week designed prior to the invention of computers seems insanely out dated.  With modern automation we can get as much done in 10 hours now as we could in 40 before.  Why should the companies get all of the gains in the production increase that computers provide?  Shouldn't quality of life be at least part of the equation and part of the reason we're automating so much stuff?

I mean no one dreams of robot servants so we can all do just as much work and housekeeping as we do now, but corporations can get a little extra rich off of it.  Why are we so willing to give them a pass on that with computers/automation just because they don't have arms and legs?

35 hour work week. 23 holiday's, half day Friday's all summer, up to 15 vacation days per year now, I think I am finally nearing my max on personal days - 70 or 80some. I usually get in a little after 8, take a long lunch to exercise, then home before 5. Can anticipate 2-3 weeks per year in which I know I will need to work more then there's probably 1-2 days per month when I could leave on time but choose not to because I want to finish what I'm doing. Like any job there are cons, but it isn't a bad gig.
23 holidays? You get off for things like Talk Like a Pirate Day and Prime Day?

8 or 9 to at least 5, M-F but typically work through my lunch. Most nights after the kids go to bed I log in for a few hours from home. Throw in a few hours on a weekend sporadically. I make much less than the typical FBG

LOOK at me. I am an FBG in only 40 hours a week ( or less) ! *

* - just got home 13 hours after I left - I have 40 in already  if you include the couple hours from Sunday and it is the end of Wednesday.
Yep. 40hr weeks feel like vacations to me.  

36 hours a week.  Three 12 hour shifts.  Cant beat it.
My company just started this in our production department, "3 on 3 off" with alternating every other Sunday. The objective was to become a 24/7 facility without being gouged by weekend overtime.

So far, most everyone likes it, especially those who commute from a long distance. They save on gas and time.

One noticeable exception are the mothers. It is tough on them to be at work for a twelve-hour shift.  

me too.  there must be an easier way to make your IM status always show as “online”
I just went and changed mine to SHOW AWAY.  So mine always says I'm away.  My boss asked me why I did that and I said I don't liked being tracked.  It doesn't hinder anyone from IM'ing me and there's nothing in the employee handbook that says I must have my IM set up to show my actual status.  Did that last year.  Before that, I spent 6 years tapping my computer every 45 minutes.

Also, you can go into Settings and change the time to away.  It looks grayed out, but you can still use the up and down buttons to change the timeout time.

Users who are viewing this thread