What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Breaking local news now. Trump was interrupted. 

SF mayor orders SF folks to remain home. Only essential places open only and go only if must to grocery stores and pharmacies. It's happening to all of Bay Area. Through April 7 but could be longer.
Banks, utilities, laundromats, gas stations, take outs remain open as well.

Today my town had the first death on record in the state of SC due to Covid-19. I have to work the next two days and then I'm off for a week and am not going anywhere. I already had to cancel my anniversary trip to Charleston for this coming weekend. As long as I have internet I'm good to go. My biggest worry are my 87 year old dad and 80 year old mother. Trying to get them to stay at home is going to be a task. They are only a mile from the nursing home where the deceased victim lived. 

I'm over here not even wanting to go outside for fear of disease and these ####### clowns are partying like nothing is wrong
I get the outrage.  Can we have some context here though, some sympathy, even for those who on the surface seem to be lacking in empathy and responsibility....

These are "kids" (yes, they are 18-22, but hardly well formed adult brains and all that).  They feel invincible. Its "just a flu" in their minds. Doesn't make it right, but many have had part of their college experience ripped from them.  Those who are seniors will never have "senior year" of college.  That was seriously one of the best years of my life.  Many were called back from their semester or year abroad.  Others don't have time to say goodbye to their friends who are graduating, it just was a sudden "it's done folks"

That doesn't excuse the behavior. But let's understand it before we castigate a bunch of kids without remember what we were like back then, and then adding to it the chaos, fear, and unknown's they face well before true maturity sets in.

Amazing at how much changes in a week.   China was ripping Italy for over reacting to the Corona.  No comment on Italy or really any country since.

March 6, BEIJING — When the coronavirus epidemic began its relentless march around the world, China’s diplomats reacted harshly toward countries that shut their borders, canceled flights or otherwise restricted travel.

Italy was overreacting when it did so, Qin Gang, a vice minister of foreign affairs, told his counterpart in February. The United States was stoking fear and panic, a spokeswoman, Hua Chunying, said. “True feeling shines through in hardship,” she said back then.

I put in a small online WalMart grocery order over the weekend for pickup Tuesday (couple of frozen pizzas and some diet cokes) as a trial run

Got a text today that told me my online order has been cancelled due to issues.

Tales from the front: I made the trek to Woodman's.  Got out in an hour, so not bad all things considered.  Key was going to the self-checkout line, saved about 2 hours there.  Bought something called Panda brand toilet paper.  They had a limit of 1 (pack of 24) per customer which they were strictly enforcing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today my town had the first death on record in the state of SC due to Covid-19. I have to work the next two days and then I'm off for a week and am not going anywhere. I already had to cancel my anniversary trip to Charleston for this coming weekend. As long as I have internet I'm good to go. My biggest worry are my 87 year old dad and 80 year old mother. Trying to get them to stay at home is going to be a task. They are only a mile from the nursing home where the deceased victim lived. 
Was this the Kershaw patient?

I have a pretty good sized order scheduled to be picked up Wednesday from Safeway--I want to make sure I send my daughter back to her apartment stocked up. I have 85 items--I told my wife we will be lucky to get 60. 

My OH redneck friends are losing their minds over the authoritarian lockdown he is exercising right now. Communist is a frequently used term in their rants. I'm happy Dewine is stepping up to meet the challenge, I'm also very glad I don't live anywhere near my redneck friends in OH any more.
This is from a facebook post in Ohio - 

"Nope just know that the media and government is trying to shut down America and they are doing it. How many people do you personally know have this virus? And hust not heard about it? Kind of funny when H1N1 was around more people died from it under obama and nothing was done this has not even killed that many and MASS panic kind of funny how the media and government manipulates people."

I get the outrage.  Can we have some context here though, some sympathy, even for those who on the surface seem to be lacking in empathy and responsibility....

These are "kids" (yes, they are 18-22, but hardly well formed adult brains and all that).  They feel invincible. Its "just a flu" in their minds. Doesn't make it right, but many have had part of their college experience ripped from them.  Those who are seniors will never have "senior year" of college.  That was seriously one of the best years of my life.  Many were called back from their semester or year abroad.  Others don't have time to say goodbye to their friends who are graduating, it just was a sudden "it's done folks"

That doesn't excuse the behavior. But let's understand it before we castigate a bunch of kids without remember what we were like back then, and then adding to it the chaos, fear, and unknown's they face well before true maturity sets in.
How many times did you giggle and laugh writing that?

My parents are my biggest concern as well... they were supposed to close on house in Florida this week, obviously that's postponed.  Now they are wondering if it's best to walk away from a sizeable deposit because as my dad said, he doesn't know if in a year the property will be 110% of the value, or 60% of the value.

Mind you, this was a discussion nearly a week ago, before the severity of this really sunk in.

Certainly health and wellness are BY FAR the biggest issue - however the economics of this are not to be laughed off.  For one, most are not in the position of my parents (yeah, they could lose some money, but not their entire life's savings).  Second, I fear that there will be real health impacts for those hit by the virus, those without insurance, those who in 2, 3, 6 months may be forced to live on the streets.

It's hard to know what is tin foil hat saber rattling, what is a real possibility, and what is staying sane.  We've simply never experienced anything like this ever.  Closest feeling was just after 9/11 when we kept expecting more attacks and that sense of unknown on one hand, a complete life disruption on the other - all with the underlying knowledge that "things will never be the same again" - without knowing what our world will look like on the other side.

The people most responsible are the leaders who didn’t stress this or explain why it’s important for healthy people to stay home. The information campaign on this was bungled.

Ohio governor Dewine just extended Ohio's voting from tomorrow to June 2nd.

Great move.
Still has to be approved via judge/lawsuit, but not a bad move.

My only concern is for the teachers who were hoping to have school levies pass.  If they have to wait until June to find out they have a job, then all the other jobs may be gone.  Tough situation for them to be in (which my wife is one of).

The people most responsible are the leaders who didn’t stress this or explain why it’s important for healthy people to stay home. The information campaign on this was bungled.
This is a fair point.

Then again, there is SO much in and misinformation going around.  It really is nearly impossible to know what is "right" and "objective" even if well intended and willing to sacrifice.

Good thoughts, doesn't fully excuse it at all, but we're all humans.

Among the late 20's/30's crowd, the most common sentiment is asking each other how we can convince our parents to actually give a #### about this.

For those that don't click on the link, that's in the U.S., not worldwide.
I can't remember if I posted here or not, but considering how fast this thread moves... Sam Harris did a podcast with an expert from John's Hopkins who gave a low death rate of .6%, but with an infected percentage for the country of up to 60%. That's 1 million plus deaths at a pretty low death rate.

We’re in Palm Springs spending the week in an air bnb. Drove instead of flying. Now SF is on lockdown and it looks like coming down may have been a good idea since stores here aren’t nearly as hit as back home in SF and we’re going to stock up before driving home. 

And it’s not just young people who lacked info. A math teacher I work with mocking this as recent as Thursday. Kids would ask me if school would close or how bad this was. I would tell them at some point school will close but I don’t know When or for how long. I told them not to panic but it is serious and they should avoid large  groups, stay away from older or sick relatives. This math teacher would laugh and say “we aren’t closing school because someone gets a cold”. 

...and, I'm suddenly having chest pains.  Checked my BP and it was 180 over something.  Currently sitting in ER so they can tell me its indigestion and BP reading was faulty.  obviously its not something to mess with, so worth coming in to get checked out.

Can confirm drive-thru tests are in place here, and ER gave me a mask due to my lingering (but improving) sinus infection cough.
EKG ok.  Waiting on bloodwork.  BP reading was accurate.  That's not something i normally struggle with - my BP is always in the "normal" range, if not low.  Hopefully that was a panic attack brought on by ingestion.  I've never had that happen before...ever.  of course, I've never been almost 45 before either.

ER is not at all busy right now (my estimate)...I've seen it much worse. 

This is a fair point.

Then again, there is SO much in and misinformation going around.  It really is nearly impossible to know what is "right" and "objective" even if well intended and willing to sacrifice.
Right but a consistent clear message from say Biden, Bernie, Trump, state officials and celebs would have made a difference. We just kind of ignored it until we couldn’t anymore. 

EKG ok.  Waiting on bloodwork.  BP reading was accurate.  That's not something i normally struggle with - my BP is always in the "normal" range, if not low.  Hopefully that was a panic attack brought on by ingestion.  I've never had that happen before...ever.  of course, I've never been almost 45 before either.

If you need anything GB, let me know. 

My first panic attack scared the #### outta me.  Hope ya feel better. 

This is great news. Don't forget to ask them to take a gander at your wiener.

My parents are my biggest concern as well... they were supposed to close on house in Florida this week, obviously that's postponed.  Now they are wondering if it's best to walk away from a sizeable deposit because as my dad said, he doesn't know if in a year the property will be 110% of the value, or 60% of the value.

Mind you, this was a discussion nearly a week ago, before the severity of this really sunk in.

Certainly health and wellness are BY FAR the biggest issue - however the economics of this are not to be laughed off.  For one, most are not in the position of my parents (yeah, they could lose some money, but not their entire life's savings).  Second, I fear that there will be real health impacts for those hit by the virus, those without insurance, those who in 2, 3, 6 months may be forced to live on the streets.

It's hard to know what is tin foil hat saber rattling, what is a real possibility, and what is staying sane.  We've simply never experienced anything like this ever.  Closest feeling was just after 9/11 when we kept expecting more attacks and that sense of unknown on one hand, a complete life disruption on the other - all with the underlying knowledge that "things will never be the same again" - without knowing what our world will look like on the other side.
It's worth keeping in mind that things will actually be the same again.  Covid is not the plague and things are going to return to normal once a vaccine is developed.  (Or sooner, depending on how the outbreak plays out). 

I've actually wondered if we will see a big drop in the normal ER visits.  There's lots of people who would normally have gone for so many different things but will be scared to go now and catch the virus.  That's actually a good thing that they people stay away.

Right but a consistent clear message from say Biden, Bernie, Trump, state officials and celebs would have made a difference. We just kind of ignored it until we couldn’t anymore. 
I disagree. We live in a free society and the masses don't pay any attention to political figures - partly because they don't care and partly because the 24 hour news cycle has made it become white noise.

It's also why a place like China gets a handle on things faster than a free country - they control everyone. Our freedom is our Achilles heel in situations like this. 

This is from a facebook post in Ohio - 

"Nope just know that the media and government is trying to shut down America and they are doing it. How many people do you personally know have this virus? And hust not heard about it? Kind of funny when H1N1 was around more people died from it under obama and nothing was done this has not even killed that many and MASS panic kind of funny how the media and government manipulates people."
This is by far the best one I've seen, from Northwest OH:

Repost: This morning at 4:30 a.m., Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was served a criminal indictment by the U.S. for corporate and financial crimes. Media owners were instructed to brainwash everyone that Trudeau and his wife have the Corona virus, and that they won't be leaving their house for a while

Tom Hanks was arrested 48 hours ago for pedophilia and he is currently being kept in a hotel room in Australia, refusing to fly back to the USA. The next celebrity arrests will be Celine Dion, Madonna, Charles Barkley, and Kevin Spacey. All will claim Corona virus infections

Italy's airports have been completely shut down, as over 80 Vatican and financial officials have been served the same criminal indictments for financial crime, pedophilia, child trafficking, and sex abuse

United Emirates have completed mass arrests of their own Royal Family and affiliates

Convicted Hollywood rapist Harvey Weinstein agreed to a deal in exchange for his testimony against hundreds of top Hollywood celebrities and their involvement in the drug business, pedophilia, and child trafficking. Instead of a 55-year sentence, he only received a 23-year sentence. In exchange he provided testimonies against some of the biggest and most powerful names, including Prince Andrew of the U.K., former president Bill Clinton, former vice president Joe Biden, Tom Hanks, Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres, Quentin Tarantino, Charlie Sheen, Bob Saget, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Steven Spielberg, Podesta, NXIVM and PIZZAGATE sex trafficking clubs, and hundreds more who all were directly involved with Jeffrey Epstein

Jeffrey Epstein was similarly allowed to make a deal and have his suicide in prison faked in exchange for his testimony

CEOs of some major world corporations have been indicted/arrested, and some have been forced to resign — all in the last 30-60 days — such as the CEOs of the NBA, Harley Davidson, the Bill Gates Foundation, Intel, McDonald's, Cesar Awards, and Disney; the Vatican Chief of Police; etc.  Approximately 700-800 more resignations are coming in the next 3 months

The lab-created Corona virus was a cover-up for the mass mandatory vaccination agenda. Now it has become the biggest covert U.S. Intelligence operation that the world has ever seen. This mass 158,000-arrests operation will remove and capture the biggest evil and corrupted politicians, celebrities, and CEOs, including global elites and bankers such as George Soros, U.N. officials, and the founders of GRETA, inc.

President Trump will win the 2020 elections, and arrests of former U.S. presidents will occur in early 2021. All major arrests will be portrayed by the media as accidental or as conspiracy theories. All arrested individuals will be given "Rommel Death", meaning that they will have a choice between their death bring portrayed to the public as a suicide or an accidental death in return for assurances that his or her reputation will remain intact, or, alternatively, they can choose to face a criminal trial that would result in public disgrace

Some top religious leaders will be arrested or forced to resign, and some will suddenly get "sick." The Vatican will be the first, and the Pope will be removed in 2020. Production of human extracted Adrenochrome will be revealed, and Hollywood and the Vatican will be exposed as being directly responsible for that

Coming up there will be a 2-month complete shutdown of the world's most common operations, such as schools, the stock exchange, some banks, airports, shipping, travel, events, galas, expos, sport games, sport championships, music award ceremonies, NBA/NHL/Baseball games, and ship cruises. (TEMPORARY)>> There will be food shortages and staged electricity power loss. Gas prices will go down, food costs will go up, insurance will go up, gold and silver stocks will fall, and many corporations will either go bankrupt or take a significant financial loss, such as in the case of what's about to happen to Air Canada, Disney, and Coca-Cola

Welcome to the Geat Awakening. What's about to happen this summer and fall will change the world's history

And it’s not just young people who lacked info. A math teacher I work with mocking this as recent as Thursday. Kids would ask me if school would close or how bad this was. I would tell them at some point school will close but I don’t know When or for how long. I told them not to panic but it is serious and they should avoid lathe groups, stay away from older or sick relatives. This math teacher would laugh and say “we aren’t closing school because someone gets a cold”. 
I friend of mine in NY said her kids schools were cancelled yesterday at 3PM.  Not even saturday, but yesterday. So on top of everything, it was a scramble for day care and all that with some employers still pushing for people to come in. 9

Going to be doing weekly grocery runs for my parents and in-laws. What's the protocol when purchasing groceries for elderly relatives? Drop everything on the porch? Or should I take it all home and wipe down the outside of all packaging with lysol wipes first? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Going to be doing weekly grocery runs for my parents and in-laws. What's the protocol when purchasing groceries for elderly relatives? Drop everything on the porch? Or should I take it all home and wipe down the outside of all packaging with lysol wipes first? I'm leaning towards the latter.
You have Instacart where you live? 

I friend of mine in NY said her kids schools were cancelled yesterday at 3PM.  Not even saturday, but yesterday. So on top of everything, it was a scramble for day care and all that with some employers still pushing for people to come in. 9
Right, really needed top down leadership (like we saw in many States- Ohio, Michigan) where Thursday night they closed schools down to take that responsibility and pressure off all the school districts.

Talked to my 77 year old dad yesterday. He tries to tell me that they are avoiding large gatherings. But only large gatherings where they don't know the people. Tells me they had their weekly BBQ at the pool with a whole bunch of their friends just the other day. And they were going to go out to eat for my brother's kids birthday, but would sit outside and as far awy from people as possible.

I was so ####### angry. Literally yelled at him on the phone. Told him I didn't give him my kidney so he could be a reckless idiot and die from a completely avoidable virus if he would just stay the #### away from people. I think he got the point, but who knows.

I've actually wondered if we will see a big drop in the normal ER visits.  There's lots of people who would normally have gone for so many different things but will be scared to go now and catch the virus.  That's actually a good thing that they people stay away.
Any type of chest pain moves ya to front of line.

I would consider getting Lysol spray with the grocery orders and giving everything a nice spray down. 

It's worth keeping in mind that things will actually be the same again.  Covid is not the plague and things are going to return to normal once a vaccine is developed.  (Or sooner, depending on how the outbreak plays out). 
I am not as confident as are you - or perhaps it is that I am more hopeful. That maybe this is such a shock to the inpenatrability of our nation and society that certain things have to change... for the better.

The more cynical side of me fears the opposite. That in times like this, power looks to grab more power and come out the other side in a near eternally stronger state than before.  That's what happened to a degree with 9/11, and with it consolidation of executive power while simultaneously chipping away at civil rights and freedoms.

Not to go too far down this path (I'll leave that for the PSF folks), but I am on one hand hopeful, and on another scared.  But I truly do believe this will result in a new normal, not the same ol'. 

Talked to my 77 year old dad yesterday. He tries to tell me that they are avoiding large gatherings. But only large gatherings where they don't know the people. Tells me they had their weekly BBQ at the pool with a whole bunch of their friends just the other day. And they were going to go out to eat for my brother's kids birthday, but would sit outside and as far awy from people as possible.

I was so ####### angry. Literally yelled at him on the phone. Told him I didn't give him my kidney so he could be a reckless idiot and die from a completely avoidable virus if he would just stay the #### away from people. I think he got the point, but who knows.
Because you can't sick from friends?

Gut check time for me: If someone you know is still going to the gym every day, has never stopped his daily routine of working out midday for an hour - do you avoid this person completely? I'm in a difficult spot here, and don't want to overreact.  

Shoes on the other foot now with adult children and their parents. I finally convinced my dad to give up the gym and cancel having his friends over for band practice.

Right, really needed top down leadership (like we saw in many States- Ohio, Michigan) where Thursday night they closed schools down to take that responsibility and pressure off all the school districts.
Been very impressed with Whitmer’s handling of the entire situation. 

Users who are viewing this thread