What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m1086

I've seen this mentioned before. Maybe here. Suggested not to use Advil or other NSAIDS if you are infected.
I wish I could get Word-of-God for-sure advice on this. Most online sources (to include traditional news sites, not Twitter, Reddit, etc.) have reported to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, etc.). Many accounts of the French health minister saying this to the French masses.

Yet elsewhere, including in this thread, folks in the medical field said that the ibuprofen thing is probably untrue, and that taking ibuprofen is OK and does not increase one's risk of contracting COVID. Not sure what to believe :(  

And I know many scoff at this kind of stuff ... but there's similar confusion out there about elderberries and zinc. I know neither have rock-hard science behind them (cf. Vitamin C), but anecdotal evidence of their positive effects seem to be legion. At worst, a good placebo effect is worth something.

FWIW... the testing protocol at my hospital for suspected CV patients (which is a whole other screening protocol altogether) is for Flu/RSV/Resp. Viral Panel by PCR/CBC/CMP/CXR. 

If all are negative, we will then collect for CV test that will be sent to State Health Dept. 
That's pretty standard, except I doubt you mean negative results for all the tests other than viral PCRs. Lymphopenia, elevated transaminases and other lab abnormalities are being used to help distinguish C-19 from alternative diagnoses. Ands while the CXR may be negative, diffuse interstitial infiltrates (like any viral pneumonia) or ground glass opacities on CT are commonly seen in severe cases.

I wish I could get Word-of-God for-sure advice on this. Most online sources (to include traditional news sites, not Twitter, Reddit, etc.) have reported to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, etc.). Many accounts of the French health minister saying this to the French masses.

Yet elsewhere, including in this thread, folks in the medical field said that the ibuprofen thing is probably untrue, and that taking ibuprofen is OK and does not increase one's risk of contracting COVID. Not sure what to believe :(  

And I know many scoff at this kind of stuff ... but there's similar confusion out there about elderberries and zinc. I know neither have rock-hard science behind them (cf. Vitamin C), but anecdotal evidence of their positive effects seem to be legion. At worst, a good placebo effect is worth something.
Same with selenium.  Brazil nuts, FTW!

Yeah, Hawaii seems like a sketchy place to be at the moment.  Once the ball starts rolling there, I could see it get ugly, quick.
It's definitely ripe for disaster. A lot of travelers from endemic places, yet isolated from supply chains when the SHTF. And a big doctor shortage.

On the plus side, most patients are super nice and a lot more likely to comply with instructions than elsewhere in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basic vent management could be taught relatively quickly. But RTs aren't the limiting factor - ICU nurses will be, along with the machines.
Yeah, once given the settings, operating a vent is relatively simple. Nurses can make the changes themselves. Setting one up and troubleshooting is a little more complicated, but still teachable.

But the critical care nursing is the biggest roadblock along with the machines. Especially when they start getting sick while taking care of them.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

How long virus can live on surfaces. Based on studies of other corona viruses:

Metal, glass, and plastic, 9 days. Cardboard 24 hours.

Recent study of this virus:

Plastic and stainless steel: 2-3 days. Same for door handles.

Separate Google search suggests sunlight does not kill it, though warmer temperatures seem to have a modest effect on how soon it dies.
Not BS, but these are all in laboratory conditions in just-so environments. Still want to take precautions, so maybe the specific times don't matter so much.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

How long virus can live on surfaces. Based on studies of other corona viruses:

Metal, glass, and plastic, 9 days. Cardboard 24 hours.

Recent study of this virus:

Plastic and stainless steel: 2-3 days. Same for door handles.

Separate Google search suggests sunlight does not kill it, though warmer temperatures seem to have a modest effect on how soon it dies.

Remember this when getting shipments and groceries. Assume surfaces are contaminated and disinfect. Alcohol and bleach kill it within a minute. Takes 130+ degrees to kill it.

Our pool guy entered our back gate and opened the pool gate and used the skimmer. Was trying to determine if the 75 degree day and sun could be presumed to kill the virus if it were to be left on anything he touched. Seems like it would live at least for several hours, if not for days. 

In cold weather, the virus can survive for 28 days on surfaces.
The two viruses that can live on surfaces for 28 days kill mice and piglets.

tamales said:
I think most people would rather just live life and let the virus run its course throughout the world than be quarantined for 18 months. The economic hit would be far worse. 

Feels like a low opinion of "most people". The idea that the economy is more important than millions of lives around the world kind of gets you wondering what the point of it all is, doesn't it? The economy can be fixed, the norms we've grown used to seeing as "the way things are" can change. People can't be brought back from the dead. What are we even doing here.

Feels like a low opinion of "most people". The idea that the economy is more important than millions of lives around the world kind of gets you wondering what the point of it all is, doesn't it? The economy can be fixed, the norms we've grown used to seeing as "the way things are" can change. People can't be brought back from the dead. What are we even doing here.
People die everyday. We can't save the entire world. 

Totally no offense to you, but these are the kinds of posts which tell me I need to quit reading this thread.  Sets anxiety past 11...likely will build an acid pond that I can jump into when I get home from work.

It would be nice to get some good news about this SOB, for once.
read the NEJM article. It's a lot less scary than the headlines.   You need to be Mr. Burns white sterile lab level to get to 100% safe.  The rest of us have to play a numbers game and manage risk.  The concentrations of the virus goes way way down after 48 hours.  In theory, it's probably not 0.00000 after 14 days either. 

Pcp office called. Appt for next week is cancelled. Still have my appt for labs and port flush tomorrow. They tried cancelling this earlier in the week but no can do. Need the labs and port flush per protocol for my case.

If you think you really need to keep an appt when you are being told to cancel, stand your ground. The gal at the infusion center calling me to cancel does not know individual situations. She's just been told to cancel everything but necessary infusions. That's fine but while the protocol fot some oncs is to do the port flush monthly, mine has me on quarterly. That's the absolute max. Was put on hold and got the oh, yeah. So know your protocol for important treatments and such that may differ from patient to patient. 

Orange County, CA got the alert at about 2:30pm yesterday that it was going to be locked down, sheltered-in-place.  By 6pm they rescinded or amended the order.

I heard the news from a friend and raced back to my office to grab my laptop at like 5... oh well.

For now we are still just maintaining social distancing, bars are closed, restaurants only doing carry-out, etc.

I'm continuing to come into my office.  I'm a good 15-20 feet from anyone else, and heck those people have elected to work from home.  

Stay safe, folks.  Wishing you all the best.

Not BS, but these are all in laboratory conditions in just-so environments. Still want to take precautions, so maybe the specific times don't matter so much.
The longer living viruses listed in there so far appear to either be incredibly rare or only specific to rats, pigs, and mice. 

I can find information on the Strain P9 one so far, but I am done digging any further into that post. Writing it off as junk and sticking with the 2-3 days information that is widely available. 

have to go into the office tomm. gonna try to use some entryways and bathrooms nobody uses. i work at a training facility where we have visitors from all over the country. surprised they havnt shut down yet

I'm continuing to come into my office.  I'm a good 15-20 feet from anyone else, and heck those people have elected to work from home.  

Stay safe, folks.  Wishing you all the best.
I'm working today (and regularly) in my faculty office at my university, which is just a mile down the street from my house.  No one is around in this building, so I'm not at all worried.  My son, who does business intelligence work for a large corporation in the area, is working remotely ...hard for him to work at home with two little boys, so he's working at my house while I'm here.  :musical office chairs:

Just got back from the barber. Needed one too. I wasn't thrilled with going but it makes my wife happy.
Joking aside, I'm coming due for a cut and this is something I was thinking about. Need to get out today and get it done before SC drops the hammer on shelter in place.

Just got back from the barber. Needed one too. I wasn't thrilled with going but it makes my wife happy.
My shop closed and I was due for a cut Saturday.  I ordered a pair of clippers online and told the wife she was going to learn to cut hair.  Worst case, I buzz it and by the time anybody meaningful sees me, it's grown back.

Full transparency, if she does a good job, I'm not going back to my shop.  Add this to the list of jobs and business that will be severely impacted due to this chaos.

We are going on ten days of lockdown in Italy.  I would expect the numbers to start falling soon.  That being said, I listened to a podcast the NYT put out where the expert said that China took the people that tested positive away from their families, as lockdowns didn't work (people just spread the virus to the rest of their families).

That's pretty standard, except I doubt you mean negative results for all the tests other than viral PCRs. Lymphopenia, elevated transaminases and other lab abnormalities are being used to help distinguish C-19 from alternative diagnoses. Ands while the CXR may be negative, diffuse interstitial infiltrates (like any viral pneumonia) or ground glass opacities on CT are commonly seen in severe cases.
Yes, of course. If all of the viral tests are negative, then they will test for CV. Thanks for clarifying gb. 

We are going on ten days of lockdown.  I would expect them to start falling soon.  That being said, I listened to a podcast the NYT put out where the expert said that China took the people that tested positive away from their families, as lockdowns didn't work (people just spread the virus to the rest of their families).
Whoever you are 'locked down' with all will have to stay in lockdown. 

In his defense, you have to look at it from all angles.  It's not an "either or" situation.  The truth is that a huge hit on the economy will in itself cost A LOT of lives.  We do need to look at that as well as the obvious health issues/deaths from the coronavirus.

JaxBill said:
Raiders LB Quentin Poling

@callmeQQQQQ: Goes to Spain. Comes home. Has fluid in lungs, SOB, sore throat, and dry cough. But because I’m “too healthy” to be hospitalized they refuse to administer me a COVID-19 test and tell me I’m good to go home and fly back to Florida in a couple days! I love it #OhioHealthDepartment

@callmeQQQQQ: My doctor told me that he is sure me, my wife, and our two year-old daughter have COVID-19, but that’s the Ohio Health Department wasn’t administering tests because we aren’t high risk. I guess they just don’t want the real number of infected people in the state to be known

@callmeQQQQQ: OR they don’t have nearly as many tests as they pretend they do. Or both.
@callmeQQQQQ: My family and I were contacted this morning by our other area hospital. They brought us in and tested us and had us in and out within 15 minutes. Apparently, it ISN’T that hard after all. Thanks to everyone for the support, my family and I will continue to quarantine here in Ohio

[icon] said:
This has led to us discovering Walmart pickup as a strong grocery option. Keep in mind I generally hate Walmart with the fire of a thousand suns... going into a Walmart makes me feel physically dirty and want to punch everyone around me. 

That said...

Their app is great. Their prices are notably cheaper than Kroger. Just got everything I wanted (ground beef, chicken breast, fresh veggies, etc) and a time slot for tomorrow 2-3pm. They have tons of toilet paper available.. even Giant 96 roll packs if needed. 

Tomm I just Just pull up to a Free Pickup bay, pop the trunk, they load the groceries into my trunk and I drive away. 
Please express your gratitude for these workers!

We have one in our household and they are being run ragged. Huge orders that they are walking miles in store each day to fill for little pay and a zero tipping policy. She is finding herself near her breaking point with the stress of it all.

Keep your tank full so you can bolt very far when "it" happens.
I don’t know what it is. Where are we going to drive to avoid a virus. 

This thread is beyond aggravating now. Used to have tons of great info but we got people being openly racist and then other folks making cryptic drive by posts saying keep your tank full for absolutely no reason at all. Wtf. 

In his defense, you have to look at it from all angles.  It's not an "either or" situation.  The truth is that a huge hit on the economy will in itself cost A LOT of lives.  We do need to look at that as well as the obvious health issues/deaths from the coronavirus.
After reading more of his posts, I take back my "in his defense" part of my post.

This thread is beyond aggravating now. Used to have tons of great info but we got people being openly racist and then other folks making cryptic drive by posts saying keep your tank full for absolutely no reason at all. Wtf. 
:goodposting: Icon's been a good source, but coy shtick ain't appreciated.  Spell it out.

I dunno, man. I was trying to lighten the mood but I guess I underestimated the pucker factor.

Sinn Fein said:
I assume someone pointed this out - but South Korea was MUCH more prepared, and were testing and isolating cases from the start. 

The US still has not even caught up to the testing part, and quite frankly, now its really too late.  (Testing is still good for statistical analysis, but one of the prime benefits of testing is isolating patients, and tracking contacts.  We are way beyond that, in terms of community spread right now).
The infection rate has been more closely matching that of Italy's.  We were on an 11 day lag but now we our infections are 10% higher than what Italy's were 11 days ago.

A couple folks in my family are this way.  The case they are making is that it would be easier on the economy and quicker.  One is a CPA.

One thing I dont understand ... why havnt we done any economic studies on this?  Everything has been health research, nothing economic.
There are a sh!t-ton of variables in the healthcare equation (the case fatality rate with ideal care, for example), and it would interesting rolling out the plan to quickly kill people to spare long- term economic pain (I realize this will also result in loss of life, but it's a bit more abstract).

FWIW, England was about to go down that path before they did an abrupt 180 in favor of flattening the curve.

Users who are viewing this thread