Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

Nothing to panic about, Take it FWIW, but keeping your car topped off is a pretty easy thing for us to all do. 

And heck....gas prices are pretty dang low these days anyway. :thumbup:

Icon...no worries brother, understand your position fully.

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

But you’re not offering info. You’re offering half-baked fear mongering posts. “Keep your car gassed up” with an unsure emoji and no other info isn’t offering help, it’s just baking in more paranoia. 

You're wrong. Block me dude. I really don't care. Cheers. 

49 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I would not be so sure - we are days behind in testing capability. We are likely to see a spike in infections in the next 4-5 days as we finally catch up on testing. I.e those infections already exist, just not noted. 

Thank you. I know you will do this but I'd encourage everyone to make sure they keep this in mind too. There will (hopefully) soon be a huge spike infections BECAUSE OF TESTING. They were likely already there, just not noted.

What I fear is people do like they did the Amazon news here and don't think about it for 1 second or even read the article and immediately jump to the worst conclusion. 

If South Korea cases spike next week, that's a huge problem as they've been testing so well already.

If US cases spike next week, that's likely because we're finally testing enough. 

Please everyone let's keep that in mind. Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

To clarify, I can't share anything Pm or otherwise. Sorry. Not being coy, hope you guys understand. 

There's no reason you NEED gas if you have no plans to go anywhere. I haven't seen anything that directly states fuel supply will be impacted. I've seen things that could be construed that might be a factor at some point. 

This is me reading between lines from something I shouldn't have seen. Not an email chain... but a firsthand document.

Nothing to panic about, Take it FWIW, but keeping your car topped off is a pretty easy thing for us to all do. 

Just keep any info flowing and leave it up to us to decode it 👍

• Like 2

To clarify, I can't share anything Pm or otherwise. Sorry. Not being coy, hope you guys understand. 

There's no reason you NEED gas if you have no plans to go anywhere. I haven't seen anything that directly states fuel supply will be impacted. I've seen things that could be construed that might be a factor at some point. 

This is me reading between lines from something I shouldn't have seen. Not an email chain... but a firsthand document.

Pardon me as I do not keep a well maintained FBG notebook, but can I ask where you work, or where you saw this document?

As a diabetic, I have tried to be so careful to stay inside and avoid all contact. We had placed an order with Safeway for pickup today for my daughter because she is driving back to college this afternoon. The campus is closed, so no meals are available for her,. but she has an off-campus apartment and a job to go back to.

I get to Safeway and call the number to bring out the food and they tell me sorry we cancelled all orders.  So I was faced with a quandry. My daughter is leaving town in 3 hours and going to an apartment with no food--so I made the decision to go in. I used gloves and wiped my cart down and I just said I am going to distance myself and not touch my face. The place was fairly packed with seniors and a whole squad of firefighters came in to shop as I was standing there. People were just acting like there was noting amiss at all.  I got her a ton of food but the shelves were pretty bare. You can tell people went for the lower priced stuff first as I ended up getting her alot of organic and higher end products. No paper products were to be found. Quick $275.00. When I came home. I wiped every can, bottle, box down with wipes. I immediately took off my clothes in the garage and went into the shower. I wiped my phone, CC and wallet down. I think I did all I could to be safe.

I am trying to tell myself the chances of getting the virus in that 15-20 minutes is so small, I shouldn't worry about it, but as a natural worrywort I still have this gnawing feeling. Man, we need this thing to go away--I hate living in fear like this. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Agreed.  Don't let one person questioning you force you to have to send multiple PMs.  If you have info that you feel is reliable, post it.  No sense wasting time PMing a bunch of people if it's information that will help everyone out.

And there is the ignore function...

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thank you. I know you will do this but I'd encourage everyone to make sure they keep this in mind too. There will (hopefully) soon be a huge spike infections BECAUSE OF TESTING. They were likely already there, just not noted.

What I fear is people do like they did the Amazon news here and don't think about it for 1 second or even read the article and immediately jump to the worst conclusion. 

If South Korea cases spike next week, that's a huge problem as they've been testing so well already.

If US cases spike next week, that's likely because we're finally testing enough. 

Please everyone let's keep that in mind. Thanks.

For the most part this virus shouldn't double faster than every 4-6 days.  So as long as we are doubling every 1-3 days, you can bet we are playing catch-up with the numbers due to increased testing.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Pardon me as I do not keep a well maintained FBG notebook, but can I ask where you work, or where you saw this document?

I'm not in any facet of government. I have very close friends in DoD, DHS, and Military who share things with me from time to time. Some speculative. Sometimes a little more concrete. This isn't a look at me™ thing, just trying to help fellow FBGs out when and where I can. 

This particular document came with a hard Stayshere™, so I'm respecting that. 

This isn't anything apocalyptic so we should move on from the topic IMO. Everyone can take what they want from what I said. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 2

We had our first Covid death here in the Jacksonville area. No idea who the person was but still very sobering nonetheless. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Courtesy 411:

Keep Fuel topped off in your vehicles... :unsure: 

:BVFWIH:

Where are you going to flee to?

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Courtesy 411:

Keep Fuel topped off in your vehicles... :unsure: 

:BVFWIH:

When you google those letters, your post from 2011 is the only one that comes up.  :lol:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/585170-meet-the-dumbest-generation-in-planet-earths-history/?tab=comments#comment-12938083

Meaning?

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

I'm not in any facet of government. I have very close friends in DoD, DHS, and Military who share things with me from time to time. Some speculative. Sometimes a little more concrete. This isn't a look at me™ thing, just trying to help fellow FBGs out when and where I can. 

This particular document came with a hard Stayshere™, so I'm respecting that. 

This isn't anything apocalyptic so we should move on from the topic IMO. Everyone can take what they want from what I said. 

You didn’t hear this from me, but you might want to stock up on Swedish Fish. :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, shader said:

For the most part this virus shouldn't double faster than every 4-6 days.  So as long as we are doubling every 1-3 days, you can bet we are playing catch-up with the numbers due to increased testing.

In general, I think you're right.  But that's based on the virus infection curve from China and SK.  What if they were testing more or less asymptomatic people than the US?

2 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Shuke's place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Funny thing ... I just went to look up some more info about this kind of stuff ... so I type exactly this into Google:

"multiple p"

First search suggestion: "multiple patients on one ventilator" :eek: 

Does that mean lots of people out in meatspace are searching that? Or does it mean Google is just riffing off of the stuff I have been reading recently?

18 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Others (slapdash) confirmed they had heard similar rumblings in their departments. 

Not I.  But I remember at least one other poster did.

8 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Wrong.

First off I said nationwide curfew, not quarantine, and I said later this week. Last I checked it's mid day Wednesday.

I also said It wasn't confirmed but shared From a buddy in DHS as rumblings he heard. Others (slapdash) confirmed they had heard similar rumblings in their departments. 

I'm sharing information with as much info as I can, where I can, and quantifying it as confirmed or rumors. 

I've been way ahead of the curve in here since ####### January back when you were a #justaflubro. You're welcome for that. 

If you suddenly have a problem with what I post, by alllllll means, block me. I'll live. Otherwise, buckle up and use your brain to make your own decisions on whether to act on the info/stuff I share. 

From personal experience—just ignore any post that calls you a fear mongerer. From the first pages of this thread—I said this virus was far bigger than what China/our government/media was making it out to be—and that the humanitarian and economic impacts were likely to be catastrophic. People accused me of fear mongering, of it being just a flu, that hippos kill more people than this disease does—and other members were encouraging others to ignore me—even though I was just stating an opinion. I know your thoughts have been aligned with some of mine from the beginning. If even a couple members from this forum read our posts and started preparing early—thank god.  Read this post from January 31st and tell me who was on the right side of the argument. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/783421-official-covid-19-coronavirus-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22474063

If there is one thing to be learned from this entire experience is that our population needs to drop being dismissive of risks and plan for the worst.  The virus brought Asia to it’s knees—a second wave of it has raised a 4% positive test rate to a 7% positive test rate in South Korea, it’s wreaking havoc and killing people by masses in Europe and the Middle East,  economically it’s destroying our country—and the humanitarian toll in the US is still a question mark as we still don’t have proper testing.  There is a difference between fear mongering and being realistic about a problem.  Do I think we will get past this—yes.   Do I think it’s the apocalypse-no.  However—I do think that this thing will stick around and wreak havoc longer as long as a portion of our public chooses to be naive and dismissive about it. 

By the way—I think that @Capella is good people—and I want to make clear that my post is not directed at him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Mars is still covid-free (but to be honest they haven't started testing yet)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, DaVinci said:

You didn’t hear this from me, but you might want to stock up on Swedish Fish. :unsure:

Pretty sure it'll be safe to eat tuna in movie theaters too very soon

• Laughing 3

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

I would not be so sure - we are days behind in testing capability. We are likely to see a spike in infections in the next 4-5 days as we finally catch up on testing. I.e those infections already exist, just not noted. 

I think we have 2 weeks before we see testing fully ramped up.

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

You might be able to get in on the ground floor on the moon, too

22 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Can some of you in this thread PLEASE become White House Correspondents?  Roughly 80% of the questions asked by reporters during Trumps presser were about why he's calling it the Chinese Virus or the Wuhan Virus and if he felt that was racist.  Four different reporters asking the exact same question using the exact same wording.  Just let that sink in.  You have one opportunity to ask the President a question about how this is being handled and THAT is what you bring to the table?  Seriously guys, ask yourselves where that ranks on the information you want to hear from the President.  Another one asked how he felt this would impact his popularity.

It was madness.  One question about ventilators....ONE.

My thoughts while I was watching it also. What a joke

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:
6 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Gonna need a lot of fuel for that.  Likely solid fuel too.  Hard to come by these days.

Been following this thread since it started. It was info from @icon , @shader and some others in late January that helped me into action and got me out in front of this on many fronts. Greatly appreciated! Please keep posting guys.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Wrong.

First off I said nationwide curfew, not quarantine, and I said later this week. Last I checked it's mid day Wednesday.

I also said It wasn't confirmed but shared From a buddy in DHS as rumblings he heard. Others (slapdash) confirmed they had heard similar rumblings in their departments. 

I'm sharing information with as much info as I can, where I can, and quantifying it as confirmed or rumors. 

I've been way ahead of the curve in here since ####### January back when you were a #justaflubro. You're welcome for that. 

If you suddenly have a problem with what I post, by alllllll means, block me. I'll live. Otherwise, buckle up and use your brain to make your own decisions on whether to act on the info/stuff I share. 

I appreciate your info because I know you filter it and apply common sense to it before posting.

You and Ham were the 2 major ones I recall taking this seriously long before everyone else woke up.

ETA - there were definitely others taking it seriously and providing great info as well, I didn't mean to suggest not - you two were just the lightning rods for people stuck in the "just the flu" thinking.

Edited by NotSmart
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Gonna need a lot of fuel for that.  Likely solid fuel too.  Hard to come by these days.

You haven't been keeping your gas tank full? 

1 hour ago, Otis said:

He's been like this every day.  I never paid a whole lot of attention to him before, but he's great.  Cuomo for President at some point.  Guy is a steady hand on the wheel.  

How does this jive with preventing NYC from ordering people to shelter in place?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

When you google those letters, your post from 2011 is the only one that comes up.  :lol:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/585170-meet-the-dumbest-generation-in-planet-earths-history/?tab=comments#comment-12938083

Meaning?

BVFWIH is and old FBG FFA saying from a decade and change ago... hell I think it might have originated with one of the old "Cliques". 

Means Be Very ####### Wary In Here...

12 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Nowhere, currently. Pretty comfy working from my couch. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Porter Airlines shutting down until June 1.  Small airline but wow.

Temporary suspension of service

To our valued customers,

The speed of developments related to COVID-19 is shocking. It is having an unprecedented impact around the globe on businesses, economies and people.

Porter supports the efforts of the Canadian, U.S. and global authorities in their responses. Government actions make it apparent that restricting activities by people in all communities is what's required to keep everyone healthy, and ultimately to end this fast-spreading pandemic.

As a result, we are doing our part by temporarily suspending flights at the conclusion of the operating day on Friday, March 20. We will resume service on June 1. This time period allows the COVID-19 public health crisis to diminish and then time for us to effectively restart operations.

We intend to operate a schedule through Friday, to ensure all customers have an opportunity to complete trips or make last-minute travel arrangements. This will occur as long as aviation and public health infrastructure allows us to do so safely.

To assist our passengers in returning home on short notice, we've waived change and cancellation fees for all our flights. Changes and cancellations can be made online. If you have an upcoming flight booked with us during our temporary suspension, we will email you or your travel agent with information specific to your reservation. It isn't necessary to contact us at this time while we assist passengers with travel requirements between now and Friday.

These are very challenging times for people. Let's all do our part to take care of each other.

Sincerely,

Michael Deluce 
President and CEO 
Porter Airlines Inc

Just got a message from a co-worker that all Simon Malls nationwide are closing at 7pm tonight and not reopening until at least the end of the month.

12 minutes ago, msommer said:

This is a family-friendly site, buddy. Peddle you’re smut elsewhere. :angry:

• Laughing 2

I will  just share a situation my wife told me about Sunday

We have about four gas stations around us, One of the biggest ones suddenly roped all their pumps off. Well rumor flooded though our local neighborhood app that they ran out of gas and people better get it while they can.  So you can guess what happened, everyone went to the other stations at once and one of the smaller ones ran out. There were lines down the block to get gas and people were filing gas cans left and right. 

Turns out the big station didn't run out of gas, it had a power failure and couldn't pump gas or process payments, but people made that leap. 

So I think in the situation we find ourselves right now, keeping a full tank of gas is a wise suggestion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 3

2 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

This is a family-friendly site, buddy. Peddle you’re smut elsewhere. :angry:

* your

:rant: 

• Laughing 3

32 minutes ago, Statorama said:

I'll never turn down MORE information @[icon] if you need to go the PM route, please hook a brother up

Same here please. Don't get the backlash for keep the tank topped off. Pretty standard for Floridians during  hurricane season. Folks who aren't use to that might need the reminder.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, msommer said:

Not before they are done "necking".  :excited:

25 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

We had our first Covid death here in the Jacksonville area. No idea who the person was but still very sobering nonetheless. 

Just heard of the first one in Michigan as well.  Within 25 miles of me.  Man in his 50s with previous health conditions and a heavy recent history of international travel.

Posted (edited)

fyi if you are looking for acetaminophen Walmart has them available for 2-4 day delivery

i was about to check out on amazon and it instantly went out of stock - and pushed the expected date to april 21

Edited by Big League Chew
spelling
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Funny thing ... I just went to look up some more info about this kind of stuff ... so I type exactly this into Google:

"multiple p"

First search suggestion: "multiple patients on one ventilator" :eek: 

Does that mean lots of people out in meatspace are searching that? Or does it mean Google is just riffing off of the stuff I have been reading recently?

Now hop into Facebook and see if ads pop up for ventilators.

2 hours ago, nirad3 said:

Orange County, CA got the alert at about 2:30pm yesterday that it was going to be locked down, sheltered-in-place.  By 6pm they rescinded or amended the order.

I heard the news from a friend and raced back to my office to grab my laptop at like 5... oh well.

For now we are still just maintaining social distancing, bars are closed, restaurants only doing carry-out, etc.

I'm continuing to come into my office.  I'm a good 15-20 feet from anyone else, and heck those people have elected to work from home.  

Stay safe, folks.  Wishing you all the best.

I posted in here about people having the virus in two OC hospitals.  It kept going unreported, for like 3 weeks.  So many hospitals must've done the same ####.  How was that supposed to help any of this?

My city just shut down all non-essential offices until April 6.  This includes my town's only (municipal) liquor store.  Dangerous days ahead.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

My city just shut down all non-essential offices until April 6.  This includes my town's only (municipal) liquor store.  Dangerous days ahead.

DANGER DANGER DANGER

RED FLAGS ALL AROUND

2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

where at

Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

That's the one benefit of bootlegging hand sanitizer. If you mess up the mixture, you can always drink it instead. (NOTE: no one should actually drink hand sanitizer. DO NOT try this at home.)

• Laughing 3

Posted (edited)

Here's some more of that "coy" info I'm sharing that's purely fear mongering... 

Monday I posted pics of a unpublished Chinese Cargo plane at FedEx Hub in Memphis and said it was loaded with half a million tests. Turns out that news hit hours later. 

I then "played coy" saying there was another source I can't address specifically yet that had another half million coming in later.... that wasn't public yet. 

today's news

US AIR FORCE FLEW HALF A MILLION CORONAVIRUS TEST KITS FROM ITALY TO TENNESSEE

BY DEFENSE ONE  
   MARCH 18, 2020

The U.S. Air Force quietly flew 500,000 COVID-19 testing kits from Italy to Memphis, Tennessee, on Monday, Defense One has learned. Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman confirmed the shipment on board an Air National Guard aircraft. The plane carried “swabs” that are used in the COVID-19 testing process, he said during a Wednesday afternoon briefing at the Pentagon.

:coffee: 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1